Toshiba Hd Dvd XA2 or Ps3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an Toshiba A20 and yes I admit I'm being cautious over the recent Blu Ray announcements. Downstairs would like to have similar setup. Was going to buy Xa2 but I'm holding off. Really want a great SD upconverting dvd player/High def solution. I have an Oppo 971 that I'm selling off cause the A20 is waaaay better. So.. Would it make sense to Buy a ps3 (BR and upscaled games/sd movie)?. Or hope the Hd dvd format doesn't die and buy an xa2? Help me out .. I'm seriously on the fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PS3...it's much faster. You can use it to play games or download movie trailers. The XA2 is slow. I'm probably going to sell my XA2 while I can recoupe at least part of my investment.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 PM

For what it's worth, I have a PS3 and recently purchased, and later returned, an XA2. The PS3 nails upconverting, games, Blu-ray. I'd highly recommend it.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 PM

I suggest trying out a PS3. I myself prefer Blu-ray but that doesn't stop me from buying the movies I want on HD DVD. It really is great to be able to buy movies on either format without having to worry about each others exclusives.

You'd also be surprised about how well the PS3 performs both in functions(FF, Rewind, etc) and powering on. I didn't truly notice how significant the difference was till I bought my XA2.

Sony SXRD
PS3
HD-XA2

Blu-ray- 54
HD DVD- 19
Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 AM

PS3's firmware 1.8 upgrade was a great improvement for SD viewing, though not quite on par with the Toshiba XA2. Note, however, that without a high quality display you will not be able to tell a difference.

I love both the PS3 and the XA2. Check the current and upcoming releases on both formats and factor in your interest in any PS3 games.

Also, worrying about which format will triumph is premature. Don't pay much attention to the tons of posters who will, I am sure, advise you otherwise. The noise to signal ratios in both the HD DVD and Blu-ray forums have been quite high for some time. The console market is large enough to support all three systems, but the "HD" market may not even support one new format. Don't believe the hype on either side.

Anyway, since I'm a gamer and like the scalability and support of the PS3, I would be slightly inclined to choose the PS3 if I had to have only one of the aforementioned choices, but definitely let software influence your decision.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:16 AM

PS3 by a mile. BTW, love neo geo man, Samurai Shodown 2 is the shiznit.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Not only is the PS3 a damn good Blu-Ray player, but it does alot of other things too.

When I'n not using it as a Blu-Ray player, I use it as a media jukebox. I have several lossless albums ripped to it's harddrive and quite a few demo video's.

It's fast and easy that way when you want to demo your system to people that come over. No discs to change, just select the file and your off!

It also wirelessly connects to your home computers and plays the media files on them!

I also use it to watch tv and surf the web at the same time!
(you have to have PIP of course)

There's so much you can do with it, it's a friggin steal at 600 bucks IMO.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
dont buy what others tell you to buy go and try it out yourself both and see which one YOU like best.

pros of the ps3 and hd xa2
hd xa2
one of the best dvd upconverters out their
its very quiet and slim
has analog outputs for true hd without hdmi
its a little slow about 20 seconds to start a movie
slow to respond to remote control like your a20

ps3
upconverts very good
plays games
can get online but a keyboard will be needed to make things easier
can save your music/movies/pictures on it and play it later
plays sacd
its loud fan wise if restricted in any way ventilation
no ir controll
very very fast to load
Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 AM

PS3 all the way. Unless you want a paper weight. I guess the XA2 can still play HD DVD's, but who wants to watch rushed catalogue titles from Universal. Quality over quantity.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Are you a gamer or not? Numerous reviews are out on the HD-A20. The bottom line is this, the XA2 is a far better upconverting player and progressive scan player for hddvd's due to the reon processing chip. Most reviews state better performance interlace than progressive from the player. The XA2 is not slow!!!!!! It is the equivalent to the a20 in speed. My remote responce is instantaneous.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 AM
d94

And, there is a solution for the IR on the ps3
http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Wave-Remot.../dp/B000R5H7KE

use that USB IR with your universal remote!

55" 1080P LED LG
50" 1080P Plasma LG
Old 06-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't really see the need for the XA2. If you have the means to get another player, go with the PS3 or even the new stand alone players from Sony or Panasonic. Then you have the best of both worlds in movie watching. I can't wiat until the finances allow me to do this.
You can then choose which format has the extras that you are looking for when available in HD DVD and Blu-Ray. This seems like an easy choice to me.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
Old 06-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

both the the most fully featured players in their respective formats right now. base the decision on the movies you want to watch with it.

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Or get both and buy anything you want
Old 06-22-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd go with the PS3. I've had mine since December and it honestly feels like I've gotten completely new Blu-ray players several times with the PS3's very robust firmware updates. And the really nice thing is that they've hardly touched what the PS3 processor is capable of. When not watching Blu-ray movies I do folding@home on my PS3 and folding@home is finding that the PS3 has the processing power of 20 PCs. So I'm looking down the road and know that I can expect similar updates to come to make use of that available processing power for Blu-ray.

If you get the XA2, it's basically designed to do what it can do now. Any firmware updates you get will basically be minor tweaking. And I'm not going to discuss the possibility (or likelihood) that the HD-DVD format is going to go like the dinosaurs into extinction.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PS3 for sure..but I just got the Toshiba A2 and although it slow, its not as bad as everyone seems to make it. The A2 is just simply quiet and way easier to navigate, so I doubt Id ever use the PS3 for its upconversion, the A2 is marginally better but superior in that its quiet. I love the idea of going neutral but if I had a choice of one or the other..the PS3 is the best and the safest route..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM

Since you have an HD player, why not go format nuetral and get the PS3. You can then watch Sony films in HD.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Are you a gamer or not? Numerous reviews are out on the HD-A20. The bottom line is this, the XA2 is a far better upconverting player and progressive scan player for hddvd's due to the reon processing chip. Most reviews state better performance interlace than progressive from the player. The XA2 is not slow!!!!!! It is the equivalent to the a20 in speed. My remote response is instantaneous.

I'm a big gamer (neogeosnk?) but thats just one factor. I actually tested both the A20 and the ps3 for upconverting. Verdict? A20 is definitely better.
Yes A20 got bad reviews, but for my 70 inch Samsung 1080P tv, the A20 looks amazing, near hd on SD discs.

But on the Flip side. God of war 2.. looks amazing on the ps3... So.. My problem still exists.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Since you already have the A20, get the PS3 so that you are format neutral. Otherwise, these questions of which format to get cannot be answered in an unbiased way -- they each have their pros and cons, and neither is winning anytime soon (you just get fanboys here touting their preferred format).
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Since you already have the A20, get the PS3 so that you are format neutral.

Currently format neutral, have a ps3. This is for second location downstairs. Downstairs I have a 720P Sony projection tv. hhmmn.. Still on the fence. Damn! On top of that.. I have a $365 Costco cash.. so yes it's burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeosnk View Post

I currently have an Toshiba A20 and yes I admit I'm being cautious over the recent Blu Ray announcements. Downstairs would like to have similar setup. Was going to buy Xa2 but I'm holding off. Really want a great SD upconverting dvd player/High def solution. I have an Oppo 971 that I'm selling off cause the A20 is waaaay better. So.. Would it make sense to Buy a ps3 (BR and upscaled games/sd movie)?. Or hope the Hd dvd format doesn't die and buy an xa2? Help me out .. I'm seriously on the fence.

I have both.

Video:

Both are excellent for HD playback. Upconverting is very good too. HD-XA2 have the edge slightly in upconverting SD.

Audio:

Audio thru optical/coaxial are very good on both.

For the HD-XA2 it has analog outputs so you can connect it to your reciever and listen to next generation audio codecs like TrueHD or DD Plus in case you don't have an HDMI audio capable reciever and assuming you already have one that has analog inputs. The PS3 requires you to use HDMI connections for it. If you don't have the HDMI capable reciever then you are limited to regular DD or DTS. But don't worry about it unless you have the right equipment and speakers you won't be able to hear a difference anyways.

Other caveats:

If you are using a universal remote to control your HT equipment it will not work with your PS3 because it uses Bluetooth instead of IR/RF. You can use different methods to control your PS3, buy a separate bluetooth remote for PS3 ($25.00) or buy this.

Multimedia stuff goes to PS3. No contest.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If all you care about in this debate is SD performace the A2 wins hands down.

I highly advise some research into actual reviews with actual benchmarks. I would also like to get my hands on whatever you guys are smoking who think the Ps3 out performs the A2 on upconversion.

Well I guess I should expect that in a BR forum though.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post

I highly advise some research into actual reviews with actual benchmarks. I would also like to get my hands on whatever you guys are smoking who think the Ps3 out performs the A2 on upconversion.

Upconversion is especially important if you don't have a Blu Ray player. Personally, I'm too busy watching BR discs to bother with DVDs.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rombullterrier View Post

Upconversion is especially important if you don't have a Blu Ray player. Personally, I'm too busy watching BR discs to bother with DVDs.

Unfortunately, many new movies are still only available as SD DVDs.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombullterrier View Post

amen
Old 06-22-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post

When you are talking about the A2 I think its fair to say the PS3 is a better upsampler with the 1.8 firmware. If however you are talking about the XA2 its a close call where most people will call the XA2 the winner.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Unfortunately, many new movies are still only available as SD DVDs.

Agreed, I watch a ton of horror movies. I would say half will never be in HD. Thats why I want the sd upconversion to be good.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

well with anchor bay supposedly going blue - maybe they will pump out Halloween and Dawn of the Dead for us by this fall.

I can dream.