post #271 of 289 Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus View Post

Can anyone explain the new up and coming Profile 3.0 which is an audio only profile? I'd like to know more about it, what features it supports, and what type of audio files its meant for. Will it accept 32 bit music files?

I haven't heard much about Profile 3.0 except that it doesn't require BD-J or video decoding. So far all of the BD-Audio discs released have been compatible with current/past Blu-ray players so my guess is that it doesn't change anything in terms of the Blu-ray audio specs. The Blu-ray audio specs allow for up to 8 channels of 24-bit audio at 96 kHz (if supported by the audio codec) using Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, or LPCM for lossless audio and Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, and DTS-HD for lossy audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 11-01-2008, 09:06 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hello,

Is there a 3.0 Profile yet?
post #273 of 289 Old 11-01-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Hello,

Is there a 3.0 Profile yet?

Yes, it is an audio only profile and though there have been no BD-Audio players announced yet there are some BD-Audio discs (such as Divertimenti).
post #274 of 289 Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks
post #275 of 289 Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Liked: 10
Hi. I have long been waiting for subtitles to be downloadable via profile 2.0 discs and players. It seems that the first one has arrived! German audio tracks and subtitles are downloadable via BD-live on the German version of "The Orphanage".

I hope this is only the beginning. My dream is to be able to add Greek subtitles to all the 2.0 BDs that ship without, and I would not mind paying extra for that.

The link for the German version is here: http://www.imagion.de/en/news/news-a...r-bd-live.html
post #276 of 289 Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM

Is there a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player that supports source direct video resolution? I'm interested in this because I want a 2.0 profile player, but also have an external scaler so I don't want any DVD upconversion on resolution. Thank you.
post #277 of 289 Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi, I am hoping for a bit more clarification about downloading subtitles, and this is the only place to ask... The Bourne Identity Trilogy has been announced for Blu-ray as 3 BD-live titles in a Jan 09 boxed set. To me the offered extras seem like slim pickings.

OK, but in the future can alternative subtitles etc. be downloaded for this BD or is there a danger the original BD-live menu is going to be stuck with the launched package? To clarify, I am asking if anyone has seen any BD-live menu that has been changed to allow for additional language content. I have not so far.

Please excuse me if I seem to be hammering on about subs but I believe it's a great part of Blu-ray's future interactivity and I would be delighted if just a fraction of my enthusiasm gets through to people who make decisions about such things.
post #278 of 289 Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM

ahh...this is a great post.....i like how everything was broken down. I understand better
post #279 of 289 Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMar View Post

Is there a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player that supports source direct video resolution?

The Denon DVD-2500BTC, Pioneer BDP-51FD, and Pioneer BDP-05FD support source direct with DVD but I don't know of any current BD-Live player that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersland View Post

OK, but in the future can alternative subtitles etc. be downloaded or is there a danger the BD-live menu is going to be fixed on this package of slim pickings?

Personally I think downloadable subtitles make a great deal of sense but whether that feature becomes more common depends a lot on how much studios think that it would improve sales.
post #280 of 289 Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Personally I think downloadable subtitles make a great deal of sense but whether that feature becomes more common depends a lot on how much studios think that it would improve sales.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am just one person that craves additional subtitles, and I hope there are many more out there like me. It would make a disc much more versatile and valuable IMO. I wouldn't mind at all paying a Euro or something like 5% of a BD's value, for the subs I want. I know that the captioning process is time consuming, but it's a one-time expense for each dialect, and the studio machinery does not have to be as expensive as audio or video tracks, of course. I hope there is a market...
post #281 of 289 Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersland View Post

Thank you for your thoughts. I am just one person that craves additional subtitles, and I hope there are many more out there like me. It would make a disc much more versatile and valuable IMO. I wouldn't mind at all paying a Euro or something like 5% of a BD's value, for the subs I want. I know that the captioning process is time consuming, but it's a one-time expense for each dialect, and the studio machinery does not have to be as expensive as audio or video tracks, of course. I hope there is a market...

I think we should not just be looking to the studios for alternate language subtitles.

I've seen a little bit of this done already(sourced by people not connected with the studioes) for standard def stuff. I recently watched a Chinese movie (In The Heat Of The Sun) in DIVX format.

And it had English subtitling that I know did not come from the studio. The subtitle file was a separate file. I burned it on to the disk.

Anyway, I would think the same thing will happen slowly over time with Blu-Ray titles. Subtitles will tend to be come available in alternate languages when:

1. There is some demand from viewers (for some of the larger language groups, I presume)
2. There are fans of the film who understand the original language and have/take time to subtitle translations of it

It sounds like BlueRay 2.0 Profile is what I should be looking for to one day (I'm sure it's going to be a while) download and use alternate language subtitling?
post #282 of 289 Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 PM

I have the BDP-S350 and want to add a usb flash drive.

How many gigs should i get when i buy one?
post #283 of 289 Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-KF View Post

I have the BDP-S350 and want to add a usb flash drive.

How many gigs should i get when i buy one?

I would recommend a 8 GB USB flash drive since they can be found online for under $20. Newegg.com has a good assortment of 8 GB USB flash drives including several with free shipping.
post #284 of 289 Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 AM

I have a Memorex blu ray player that died and I need to return. The feature I really liked was the usb port in the front allowing you to show movies and pictures from a flash drive or an external hard drive. Anyone know what other players have this feature? PS3?
post #285 of 289 Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyb View Post

I have a Memorex blu ray player that died and I need to return. The feature I really liked was the usb port in the front allowing you to show movies and pictures from a flash drive or an external hard drive. Anyone know what other players have this feature? PS3?

The PS3 will do that and more. The different photo viewing modes are spectacular and are full 1080p resolution. My photos look amazing on my 52" LCD via the PS3.

The PS3 will also recognize a Windows Media Server that could be on your wireless or wired network. So, if you have photos on your computer hard drive, you could have the Windows Media Player recognize the folder that contains the photos, then you could view your photos that are sitting on your computer using your PS3. So, basically, you're setting up a media server for free. You probably already have the equipment to do it (minus the PS3 of course) and it's pretty easy to set up. This is true with photos, audio and video. It "streams" the media, wirelessly, from the PC to the PS3.

To take it one step further, if you also get a PSP, you can access your PS3 from anywhere in the world that has WiFi and access your media that's sitting on your PC at home. The PSP will even turn the PS3 on and off so it doesn't have to stay on when you're not at home. Pretty sweet. Instead of pulling out my wallet to show photos of my kids, I pull out my PSP and show pictures that are on my home PC. It freaks people out. This also works for video and audio. Pretty amazing technology. Kind of like SlingBox.

Good luck and let me know if you have any issues setting it up.

Great Reference Material (Official Sony Documentation):

Chet
post #286 of 289 Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks I wonder if one can do this on a Mac?
post #287 of 289 Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

This is a bit off topic so I'll make this my last post regarding this. PM me for any more information.

TwonkyMedia is working on a program called TwonkyMedia manager for for a Mac, but you can get it right now in something called TwonkyMedia server. It's the same thing, just without a graphical user interface.

Chet
post #288 of 289 Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use NullRiver's MediaLink, which is a Mac DLNA server expressly targeting the PS3 (but works with other devices as well). Works very nicely for me.

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #289 of 289 Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 256
this thread will be unstuck soon: it will remain open

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page