PS3/Other-bluray User Interface for Technophobes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone describe the basic UI for playing a movie on a PS3 or other blu-ray player? I'd like to set one up for my parents, but they are technophobes and have issues with anything more complicated than "put in a disc and hit play." (And, no, I'm not exaggerating - they are the stereotype whose VCR would still be blinking 12:00 if someone didn't set it for them.)

Given all that a PS3 can do, I want to make sure they won't have any problems. Are they going to turn it on and see messages about needing to download a firmware update? Or be told they can't play a movie since their internet connection is down? Or have to go through a menu to select "play a movie" when they insert a movie disc?

I can set everything up and even do so updates from time to time when I visit. But the last thing I want is to have them calling me for help every time the machine asks them to do anything more complicated than play/stop/ff/reverse.

Can they handle a PS3 (selfishly, I'd like to go that route so the rest of the family can engage in some gaming on family get-togethers?) Would a stand alone player be any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As a part time installer, I am not so sure I'd put a PS3 into thier situation.
But the rest of the family should be able to help them some right?

I'm considered savvy and still went stand alone player in my theater.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps a VCR that autodetects the time would be a better purchase option? lol. Just kidding. Seriously, that describes my parents pretty closely and I wouldn't even *consider* setting them up with a PS3. What's the main thing prompting the consideration of a PS3 for them? Sounds like gaming, but I assume they don't game much (if they're like my parents)? If for HD movies, I'd say it's too early in the game to try to get them involved in that. Maybe just take your game console to family gatherings?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

On the PS3, you insert the disc, slide over to the the video heading on the XMB (PS3 main menu), and then go down to BD Disc option and hit OK. The PS3 main menu is setup as a cross bar where the main headings (Video, Music, Game, etc) are on the horizontal and the sub options (Play game, play BD, play video file) are on the vertical underneath the respective main headings.

Forward and Reverse Skip are the same as any DVD player. The only other option you really add is two menu buttons instead of one as in SD DVD. Top menu you to an SD DVD style menu and pop up menu takes you to a, well, pop up menu.

To exit the movie, you have to hold down the "circle" key (on the remote or on the controller) and select the Quit option. There is no "power" button on the PS3 remote, you have to hold down circle in the XMB and select turn off console. Of course, you can turn it off by holding the power button on the console itself.

A little more convoluted than a regular player.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

You can also set the PS3 to autoplay so it starts as soon as you put the Blu-Ray/DVD in. Press the eject button to remove it. Pretty simple. However, you definitely don't want to have a novice use the PS3 controller, spend the $25 on the remote, it makes everything pretty easy.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page