80g PS3 Fan Noise? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 162 Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is interesting for another reason as well: here we go again beating the dead horse. 80GB PS3 is not released yet, however this thread is already 3 pages long. I suggest the thread is closed, and once the 80G versions ship, then a new thread can be posted to comment on the current version. My 2c.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus View Post

This thread is interesting for another reason as well: here we go again beating the dead horse. 80GB PS3 is not released yet, however this thread is already 3 pages long. I suggest the thread is closed, and once the 80G versions ship, then a new thread can be posted to comment on the current version. My 2c.

Then I hope someone starts one for the 60G model. This is the one everyone is having fan noise problems with, me included, I have a quiet one and a jet like sounding one, so I know there is a difference in models out there. I think all we want to know is why?
post #93 of 162 Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek N View Post

Interesting thread. It seems that while all the manufactorers try to build sleek machines the coolness of a sleek machine dies once the fan noise takes over to cool their not efficient design.

I have also come to believe that some people are just more sensitive than others. Probably because their living space is so much more quiet. I rarely listen at quiet enough settings to notice this much. I stop hearing center dialog long before I start hearing small fans. I also think room size is a huge factor here, I sit 14 feet away from my machines.

A note on the 360 noise. I hear many attributing its racket to the fans but mine is actually silent when on the dashboard or playing arcade games. Its when that cheap dvd drive spins up that it turns into a jet engine. I actually think most noise complaints on the 360 are mistakenly attributed to the "expected" noise generator, ie fans instead of the real source, the cheap/loud dvd drive.

My 360 sounds like a jet engine except when playing a DVD. I put a movie in it the jet engine calms down to near silence. Once I take the movie out, it gets really loud again. If I play a game or do anything on the dashboard it is LOUD. Very weird.

I'm buying a PS3 this weekend. I REALLY hope I get one that is what I consider quiet. I really want to keep it but not worth it if it is loud.
post #94 of 162 Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek N View Post

I have also come to believe that some people are just more sensitive than others. Probably because their living space is so much more quiet. I rarely listen at quiet enough settings to notice this much. I stop hearing center dialog long before I start hearing small fans. I also think room size is a huge factor here, I sit 14 feet away from my machines.

You haven't looked into this topic enough because clearly you don't understand it.

If you research the topic - you will discover that there are at least 3 fan speeds on the PS3 and if you're unlucky enough to have one that runs hot for one reason or another you will have something that makes a good amount of noise.

Everything you're suggesting is true - that doesn't change the fact that there is a wide variance in the noise PS3s make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

I read posts like this, and am certain such individuals are deaf, live in an igloo, or are working web PR for Sony.

I can faintly hear mine in the next room if I turn off the TV, stereo, etc.... and my PS3 is perfectly normal.

These things do have fan noise. Not like the 360, but they sure as heck aren't silent after 2 minutes of use.

Same issue as the other poster. Reseach the topic. Did you not the see the Youtube link I posted? Some of these things run dead silent. My friend has one and unless you're playing a game you literally have to put your head right next to it to hear it. This is after hours of being on. The air coming out is hot but the fan is running very slow and hence the machine is near silent.
post #95 of 162 Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not again - people refuse to believe that some PS3s are louder than others. This has been covered many times in other forums.

PS3s louder than others, regardless of room temperature or ventilation space is a FACT. Deal with it.

This issue has been discussed in this European PS3 forum:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...ad.php?t=75005

Some people have two PS3s, one from Japan (or the USA), one from Europe. The European one is much louder in a side-by-side comparison with the imported Japanese model. Something has changed between the two units.
post #96 of 162 Old 08-03-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I would like to add that mine was virtually silent right after booting up. Once a movie or game was being played that is when it got unacceptably noisy. If it stayed at the same noise level as at boot up all the time, it would have been one of the quietest pieces of electronics I have ever owned.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #97 of 162 Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Same noise here. I called to have mine serviced. Of course they are sending a refurbished one. Which pisses me off. I didn't pay Half a K for a refurbished product. It is too late to return to Amazon because I cut off the bar code for the 5 free dvd's. The refurbished better come in PERFECT condition without any noise. Or I will make them pay for shipping back and forth until I get one that is silent. I think Sony has an issue on their hands and are not acknowledging it.
post #98 of 162 Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugonnagraduate View Post

Same noise here. I called to have mine serviced. Of course they are sending a refurbished one. Which pisses me off. I didn't pay Half a K for a refurbished product. It is too late to return to Amazon because I cut off the bar code for the 5 free dvd's. The refurbished better come in PERFECT condition without any noise. Or I will make them pay for shipping back and forth until I get one that is silent. I think Sony has an issue on their hands and are not acknowledging it.

Let us know how that goes.
post #99 of 162 Old 08-04-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugonnagraduate View Post

I think Sony has an issue on their hands and are not acknowledging it.

I agree, but do not know how to get them to acknawledge this.
post #100 of 162 Old 08-04-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Go to youtube and search "lgans316 ps3 noise" and check out the fan noise of my Japanese PS3 which got 4 weeks old today.

Blu-ray : 340
post #101 of 162 Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

Not again - people refuse to believe that some PS3s are louder than others. This has been covered many times in other forums.

PS3s louder than others, regardless of room temperature or ventilation space is a FACT. Deal with it.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...ad.php?t=75005

Some people have two PS3s, one from Japan (or the USA), one from Europe. The European one is much louder in a side-by-side comparison with the imported Japanese model. Something has changed between the two units.

As I have stated before, but you probably didn't see, I own a Japanese PS3, and it is as loud as they get within spec. I purchased it in March 2007, but it's probably a few months older, at the very least. It was an import here to Korea.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #102 of 162 Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus View Post

Actually, the 80gb PS3 has been available here in South Korea for over 2 months now. I don't know anyone who owns one, so I have no information as to the noise level.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #103 of 162 Old 08-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Just a guess but it is probably due to the chips in the PS3. I sure some chips are better then others, the lower quality ones will run hotter at the same speed. As an example my Core 2 duo E6600 will overclock to 3.1ghz and only picks up about 10deg in temp. My friends will only OC to about 2.8ghz before it overheats. Same chip different batch, same cooler on both BTW.
post #104 of 162 Old 08-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I would like to add that mine was virtually silent right after booting up. Once a movie or game was being played that is when it got unacceptably noisy. If it stayed at the same noise level as at boot up all the time, it would have been one of the quietest pieces of electronics I have ever owned.

That's exactly how mine was. Once you did anything with it, it got loud enough to be clearly heard from 10' away. After that it never quieted down again when idle. It was on the top shelf of the audio rack with nothing around it. I sold it to someone in another state and no longer find the noise to be objectionable.

Dennis
post #105 of 162 Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

post #106 of 162 Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

lgans316, one of the three PS3s I tried sounded just like that - very slight grinding noise. The other two weren't as bad, but like in your videos, they could be heard as loudly as the dialog.
post #107 of 162 Old 08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
post #108 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...=75005&page=15

What is interesting though, is the last post (#219). The guy claims that a sony tech support told him that the noisy fan issue would be fixed "in an update". Is this even possible? As annoying as the fan noise is, I would rather deal with that than a melted ps3. If my ps3 runs hotter than average, then the increased fan noise is normal. But if the fan ramps up because of a problem with the thermostat, then yeah -- fix it with an update (or send me a new one).
post #109 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

What is interesting though, is the last post (#219). The guy claims that a sony tech support told him that the noisy fan issue would be fixed "in an update". Is this even possible? As annoying as the fan noise is, I would rather deal with that than a melted ps3. If my ps3 runs hotter than average, then the increased fan noise is normal. But if the fan ramps up because of a problem with the thermostat, then yeah -- fix it with an update (or send me a new one).

That's the real problem I have with my PS3. It doesn't get hot at all but the fan fires in high gear 10 minutes after watching a dvd/BD. It must be something wrong with the thermostat being too conservative.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #110 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
lgans316, have you taken your PS3 back in yet? I don't know why my post before got deleted. In Japan you shouldn't have to go thru Sony to get a replacement, the store you got it from WILL replace it for you no problems. Like I said before customer service IS EXCELLENT in Japan.
post #111 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 02:30 PM

My noise sounds nothing like lgans316's. Mine is much more of a hi pitched sound. A very irritating one at that. It is not electrical as I have everything else off. Almost like you have heard a loud explosion and your ears are ringing.
post #112 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

About a month ago, in an interview with Japanese developers, they confirmed that they can control fan noise with firmware updates and also mentioned they hoped to get to a point where there is no fan noise at all.

Rumors about the 2.0 firmware, meanwhile, show that there might be an Energy Saving Setting....what this will actually do I'm not sure but hopefully it can control or at least trick the fan into thinking that less energy is being used.

On an unrelated matter, I have found all summer that my fan noise kicks on depending on the humidity and also what I'm doing. I turn off my Internet settings and in a cool, A/C room with no humidity, my fan noise is there but not aggravating and in most cases, forgettable.

--
PS3 40 gig (upgraded to 160 gig)
XBOX 360
Sony DG-810 Receiver
Yamaha 5.1 NS-P1600 Speakers

Latest Purchases:
Mad Men S1, Hellboy 2
post #113 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM

I found this thread which is exactly my issue. Well it wont let me paste it but if you go to google and put in ps3 high pitched sound it is the first link.
post #114 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolan99 View Post

About a month ago, in an interview with Japanese developers, they confirmed that they can control fan noise with firmware updates and also mentioned they hoped to get to a point where there is no fan noise at all.

Rumors about the 2.0 firmware, meanwhile, show that there might be an Energy Saving Setting....what this will actually do I'm not sure but hopefully it can control or at least trick the fan into thinking that less energy is being used.

On an unrelated matter, I have found all summer that my fan noise kicks on depending on the humidity and also what I'm doing. I turn off my Internet settings and in a cool, A/C room with no humidity, my fan noise is there but not aggravating and in most cases, forgettable.

Thanks for the info. The fan noise is my only complaint, otherwise I love my ps3. Hopefully 2.0 does the trick!!
post #115 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolan99 View Post

Let's see ... how would they be able to control "fan noise" via firmware other than by reducing fan speed? When my PS3 is running, the heat emanating from the behind is enough to make think the HDMI and other cables will likely melt over time. Reducing fan speed therefore does not seem like an reasonable option. Maybe they can introduce pseudo "speed step" for the cell processor via firmware. But wouldn't that have negative impact on performance? In my opinion, the PS3 hardware requires serious revision to reduce power usage and heat capacity of the system. Trying to cram all the hardware into slim packaging have resulted in a rather constrained system with regards to thermal capacity.
post #116 of 162 Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Just a few points of information:

-an iMac uses about 40 W max, and much less than that most of the time

-a PS3 uses about 300 W avg, so you can see any expectations of it behaving like an iMac are pretty far out of the realm of reality

I'll tell you a funny story. My gf has a power transformer which steps down 220v power to 110v (I'm in South Korea, and have a 110v japanese PS3). The transformer she had was not rated high enough, apparently, because after about 10 minutes, something started to smell, and it exploded!

Yes, the PS3 does draw a lot of current.

post #117 of 162 Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Anyone have a 80g PS3 yet that can comment on the fan noise?
post #118 of 162 Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone try putting a small fan next to the PS3 and see if it keeps it from kicking on as high?

I've only had mine less than 2 weeks but it is pretty good. Every know and then it kicks into a audible gear but usually not for a long time. I only sit about 7 ft from it. Mine sits in a typical entertainment center rack with about 6" clearances on the top. I put some velcro feet on it to raise it up about 3/4 of an inch to help it breathe a bit better. I saw a small fan (about 5") at the store that seems to run pretty silently. I was debating installing it behind my PS3 and let it push air forward.

Since mine stays pretty quiet and only kicks into high gear occassionally, I was wondering if using a fan like this would keep it from kicking up a notch.
post #119 of 162 Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Then consider yourself lucky. I am waiting for Sony to revert back on my complaint.
The fan noise is unbearable. Though mine was bought in Japan it's Made in China.

Blu-ray : 340
post #120 of 162 Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone try putting a small fan next to the PS3 and see if it keeps it from kicking on as high?

I tried to large (120 mm) fans at high speed - it didn't make much of a difference! Ambient temperature was 20 degrees C, with 10 feet of space in front and 5 on the sides. Oh well.

This was with 3 PS3s that I tried. I'm hoping that newer batches will perform better...although perhaps I should wait for low-power versions of PS3s.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page