80g PS3 Fan Noise? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the 60g PS3 for 2 days and could not get used to the amount of noise it generated while watching movies. I desperately wanted to keep the machine for all of its functionality, but in the end the fan noise was a deal killer. I am hoping that Sony will deal with this problem in their new 80g version. Anyone know of any new components that will be used in the 80g to solve this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm sorry, I just cant take it anymore. I have a 360 and a PS3, and I always see this kind of post. It is not loud unless it's having heat problems! Air circulation is probably poor. Dont put it in an entertainment unit with very little space on the sides and back.

Of the 6 complaints from friends with 360's, or PS3's having issues ALL had poor ventelation. I ripped the unit from the entertainment center, put it in an open room to prrove a point. Afer doing this test, not one of these 6 overheated, or in the case of the PS3 had a loud noise.

I have both a launch day 360 and PS3, with no issues. If you take care of your stuff and use common sense, you will be ok.

I predict you will say "but its well ventilated" In that case, your being too picky.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #3 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3 speed Fan can sound like a Turbo
But it isn't Loud.
I've only heard Hi-speed once.
Mines in a Wood cabinet w/glass doors

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #4 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

My ps3 sits right next to my head and I have yet to hear the fan noise. It is totally quiet. If you are hearing fans it means you need to put it to a well ventilated area right away , aka: not inside a cabinet that is closed on all 4 sides.
post #5 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it was well ventilated and yes, I am picky about such things. And for $500, I believe that a piece of video equipment that is marketed at complimenting a home theater system should be able to fit in a well ventilated rack without becoming an annoyance.

The question is will the 80g version have different components to solve the noise issue for us PICKY people?
post #6 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory View Post

My ps3 sits right next to my head and I have yet to hear the fan noise. It is totally quiet. If you are hearing fans it means you need to put it to a well ventilated area right away , aka: not inside a cabinet that is closed on all 4 sides.

If it's next to your head and you still can't hear the fan noise you need to get your hearing checked.

You are correct ventilation is everything. You need to stand it vertical and in a well vented area. If you do this the fan should never go past speed 2 which is audible but not intrusive.

Found that if you put it horizontal it does not dissipate the heat as well and the fan will go to speed 3 which is loud.

Toshiba HD XA2 & PS3 Owner
Format Neutrality is the place to be.
post #7 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory View Post

In the fridge would be a good spot.
post #8 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

I'm sorry, I just cant take it anymore. I have a 360 and a PS3, and I always see this kind of post. It is not loud unless it's having heat problems! Air circulation is probably poor. Dont put it in an entertainment unit with very little space on the sides and back.

Of the 6 complaints from friends with 360's, or PS3's having issues ALL had poor ventelation. I ripped the unit from the entertainment center, put it in an open room to prrove a point. Afer doing this test, not one of these 6 overheated, or in the case of the PS3 had a loud noise.

I have both a launch day 360 and PS3, with no issues. If you take care of your stuff and use common sense, you will be ok.

I predict you will say "but its well ventilated" In that case, your being too picky.

That's not true in many cases including mine. My PS3 is on an open space and doesn't get very hot but the fan starts after 10 minutes watching a movie and goes to high speed very soon. This can also be a firmware problem where the fan is activated unnecessarily and too soon. I am not too picky either and the noise is like a jet engine in my room. I wil buy a real BD player and move the PS3 to another room just to play games.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #9 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to agree, I just returned my PS3 because the fan noise is not acceptable in an environment where quiet is key. All of my components are silent except for my HD70 projector. To put this in perspective, the PS3 was audible over the fan noise of my HD70.

Sony should really work on this, they are surely losing a few sales due to this. The machine is absolutely brilliant otherwise and it truly pained me to return it.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #10 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

If you can hear a PS3 over a PJ fan (assuming both are in the viewing room) something is definitely wrong. Perhaps some are defective. I sit about six feet from my PS3 and I have never heard it even with 85 degree room temps.
post #11 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

when the PS3 is horizontal, you cut almost half its surface area.

surface area is key for heat dissipation. If it can't radiate the heat, it has to actively blow it out, hence the noise.
post #12 of 162 Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have tried with all kind of positions mentioned in the PS3 KAMA SUTRA book but the behavior is the same. I am in the process of exchanging it with a good unit which I expect to be less noisy. If the noise continues to be like this in the replacement unit I will request for a refund and import the DMP-BD10A from U.S as no Blu-ray player less than $800 would be released in Japan.

Recorded while placing it horizontal inside my TV stand (with less ventilation) and after 15 minutes of Blu-ray playback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xmqskiy-Ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX_Sm8eKW7I

Recorded while placing it vertical in open air and after 15 minutes of Blu-ray playback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJW8qT9jrLs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-B63XTT86w

Blu-ray : 340
post #13 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

If you can hear a PS3 over a PJ fan (assuming both are in the viewing room) something is definitely wrong. Perhaps some are defective. I sit about six feet from my PS3 and I have never heard it even with 85 degree room temps.

That is my main problem, the PS3 is positioned about 2 feet from my ear. I have no other choice and realize that if I could put some distance between it and myself the noise would be a lot less of an issue. Because of this I can hear the PS3 over the HD70. With that said I think the PS3 should be a LOT quieter. I know it can be done, look at the iMac, practically silent and packing a lot of power and components to cool as well.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #14 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My TV room is usually pin drop silent. The PS3 noise sometimes obscures the low dialog driven scenes. The fan noise may be bearable during Summer / Autumn as the pedestal fan keeps running in parallel. During Spring and Winter I won't be using the pedestal fan which means that the PS3 fan noise will dominate my HT room.

Blu-ray : 340
post #15 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I keep my PS3 standing vertically in "the open". When we're not using it for Blu-ray movies we run folding@home on it 24/7 so it's ALWAYS working away. It has never gotten particularly hot (I don't consider "warm" to be "hot" and it's never had a problem with excessive fan noise. But then again I've never been a Princess and the Pea type who's bothered by the least little thing.

The first 80GB PS3s will be out within a few weeks supposedly. It won't take long for industry types to conduct product reviews & you'll have your answer. Sony is very dedicated to continuous improvement in the PS3 (both hardware and firmware) and they actively follow customer feedback, complaints and requests for improvement so we may well see improvements in this area.
post #16 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

This subject has been covered.

Some PS3s are louder than others even when equally ventilated.

I went through 2 PS3s.

First one went into high speed fan mode after 10 minutes or so.

Second one lasted 15-20 minutes.

This was in the winter and both were extremely well ventilated.

Both were louder than my projector while being further away from me than the projector.

I returned it and am waiting for 65nm which will surely be quiet unless gaming.

My friend has one that is whisper quiet unless you start gaming with it.

Try to avoid telling people they are overly sensative or have a defective unit. Some are simply running hotter and louder than others.
post #17 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post

Yes, it was well ventilated and yes, I am picky about such things. And for $500, I believe that a piece of video equipment that is marketed at complimenting a home theater system should be able to fit in a well ventilated rack without becoming an annoyance.

The question is will the 80g version have different components to solve the noise issue for us PICKY people?

There has been no indication that the 80gb is going to be quieter.

It will have less hardware (no EE), but it will also use (at least a little) more processor.
post #18 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Urza]Air circulation is probably poor. Dont put it in an entertainment unit with very little space on the sides and back.[quote]

Well excuse me but an equipment rack is where I store all of my gear. Just what the heck are people supposed to do with this thing to keep it cool?

If it can't go in the rack, then it is not a true CE device for the home theater.
post #19 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

If it can't go in the rack, then it is not a true CE device for the home theater.

I have to agree. I was placing it on top of my rack just to make it acceptable, really it should be able to sit in the empty middle shelf that my previous DVD player occupied. Once again I am thinking of the iMac; powerful, plenty of components to cool (more than the P3?), and practically silent!

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #20 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Do you guys note what the temperture is in your room when the PS3 fans kick on?

I noticed that my PS3 stays quiet unless the temperture in the room reaches 75 degrees. After that point, the high speed fans eventually turn on.

Keeping the room cool though makes the PS3 silient.

Unless your Folding!
post #21 of 162 Old 07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I have to agree. I was placing it on top of my rack just to make it acceptable, really it should be able to sit in the empty middle shelf that my previous DVD player occupied. Once again I am thinking of the iMac; powerful, plenty of components to cool (more than the P3?), and practically silent!

Well Doc, your iMac doesn't have the powerful Cell processor. Supposedly the PS3's cell processor does "folding" (see http://folding.stanford.edu/ ) about twenty times as fast as a PC. I don't know how it compares to a Mac, but that info would likely be at the folding site. When you do the amount of work that the PS3 has to do you generate some heat that needs to be dissapated.
post #22 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
well, just to chime in, i've had a ps3 for 1 week. I love it, but i can't get over the hum of the fan in the background when watching a dvd. I'm sure there is nothing "wrong" with it, it sounds like a normal fan.... just too much for my taste. I have it sitting outside of my entertainment cabinet and standing vertically, so I don't think it is a location issue. It is just too annoying to hear the fan during quiet parts of a movie. Other than that... i love it. I think i'll return it to circuit city and wait to for the 65nm 80gb version....

someone mentioned that there is no reason to think the 80gb version (assuming we get the 65nm chip) will be quieter, and that it is more powerful, but i'm not sure what that info is based on. 65 nm chips should run cooler and use less power, so it seem like an obvious fix to me (or it may just be a firmware 1.8+ issue.

Anyway, i don't consider myself too picky, but I agree with the others here that it is a bit too loud during movies.
post #23 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Strange. My PS3 is quiet as can be.....but Im wondering, when watching a movie why dont you have the volume turned up loud enough that you shouldnt be able to hear anything? My living room sounds like a thunderstorm I play movies so loud ; )
post #24 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

Strange. My PS3 is quiet as can be.....but Im wondering, when watching a movie why dont you have the volume turned up loud enough that you shouldnt be able to hear anything? My living room sounds like a thunderstorm I play movies so loud ; )

mine is super quiet. i sit about 3 feet from mine and have never heard the fan, also nobody elese i know has heard theres. i cant beleave this is a topic with the ps3. well only on avs.
post #25 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post

mine is super quiet. i sit about 3 feet from mine and have never heard the fan, also nobody elese i know has heard theres. i cant beleave this is a topic with the ps3. well only on avs.

Well, it is a big deal to a lot of people. I don't think my PS3 is defective, but it is defininetly louder than any other piece of AV equipment. If it isn't a big deal to you then either you have a better unit or don't notice ambient noise as much as I and other do. Either way, it is interesting that some people notice it and it bothers them, and other do no. However, I don't think you should be surprised that there are topics that you, personally, don't care too much about on the forums.
post #26 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

You can't hear the PS3 because your hearing has been destroyed by your thunderstorm sound!! Some people like to hear silence when the movie is supposed to be silent.
post #27 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I too got sucked in by the PS3's features but once I started actually using it I found the fan noise, excessive heat and the huge power draw were not going to be something I was going to live with and the negatives far outweighed the positives.

I did a little checking on specs and as I recall the PS3 draws almost 12 times the power of the new Sony 300. No wonder there is somuch heat and fan noise. I returned the PS3 and have purchased the new Sony 301 from Costco and I'm much happier. No fan noise, no heat, I think it looks much better and the remote is so much nicer than the wireless control that comes with the PS3. Just my experience.
post #28 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Member of AVS FORUM folding@home team, (team #55280)
post #29 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post

Ditto. The only time I ever hear mine is immediately upon start up. Outside of that, I've never heard mine at all. Even whilst folding.
post #30 of 162 Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 PM

I'd love for one of these people with a "quiet" PS3 to post a video of it on youtube or something. I've seen plenty of videos of the loud ones. We would also need info like: how long it's been on and temperature of the room.

I bleed blu.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page