post #6691 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

already ahead of ya! Read the references at the bottom of the chart.

Barney's wearing somebody's pants today!

Better take those off before you wife comes home and catches you wearing them.

Is the chart supposed to have links at the bottom? There is nothing "clickable" there, just text.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

already ahead of ya! Read the references at the bottom of the chart.

Barney's wearing somebody's pants today!

Hey Barney,

This site might help you:

http://www.cinemasquid.com/Home.aspx

Click on the "Blu-Ray Movie Matrix" link on the top of the page. You have 5 columns under "Matrix Display"; click on each column's drop-down and pick an item to view &/or sort.

Smarty-pants might even enjoy the Home Page where data is kept on Amazon BR price drops.

Larry
post #6693 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry about the late response, been putting in lots of hours at work, so not much internet browsing time.

I connect via hdmi direct to my panasonic ax100u projector for video and use optical to the Sony reciever for audio.
post #6694 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Is there an easy way to correct this bomb issue?

I have an Onkyo 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

You can go to the Onkyo site and enter your serial number for your 605. They will tell you if you will need the firmware update for the "bomb" or not. Only the early production 605 recievers need them. I was luck and did not need the firmware update.

Dont trust the onkyo site - check your DSP firmware version yourself - see the 705 FAQ thread for how to check the firmware and see this thread for a link to download the DSP update for the 605 which comes with instructions which should confirm what DSP version you need to have the problem fixed
post #6695 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hey buddy, I love this boomoo ! I am trying to reproduce the bomb. I know, that's stupid, Barney! Thanks for the time stamp and I will test the 19 minute mark out tonight!

btw, what receiver are you bitstreaming Master Audio to?

considering you have done the DSP update you shouldnt get "the bomb" anymore. Fair enough if you are still trying to test that the update has worked, but so far all indications are that it is definately a "good fix" and no-one who has applied the update has experienced the bomb again
post #6696 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

My Region B Australian BD-P1400 is still running "flawlessly" - have watched more than 30 BDs now, with not a single problem (caused by the 1400)... This is on FW 1.5 (latest we have in Oz ) with bitstream audio to my onkyo 705 and 1080p/24 to my Samsung 46" LCD

Most recent titles we've watched are Meet the Robinsons, Bruce Almighty, AVP:Reqiuem, The Fugitive, Ronin and Across the Universe. All Region B releases obviously. No problems experienced... I am not a big Aliens fan so i actually quite liked AVP:R (all of tyhe diehards seem to think this movie is a butchering of the aliens franchise etc). The newer titles all had great HD audio and Meet the Robinsons had awesome PQ. AVP:R had the bitstream bomb (i have not updated my onkyo DSPs yet), but that is not the 1400's fault. Interestingly on Across the Universe, i set a bookmark (using the disc's custom bookmarking feature, not the 1400s which doesnt work). Turned player off and when i turned it back on more than 12 hours later - the bookmark was remembered and we were able to resume from that point (obviously still had to wait for everything to load, then start playing, then pull up the on screen display and jump to the bookmark). Not as good as an auto resume feature, but still good that more titles are starting to use persistent storage to do things like this
post #6697 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, as for fw 1.7 fixing the pause/stop problem, it's a no go. Trying to watch Spiderman3 today, I had to pause it twice to tend to other things. Came back about 10 minutes later each time and the disc had stoped. I had to go though everything all over again taking minutes to find where I left off.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #6698 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Figure this one:
I have two 1400's, call it player #1 in the theater and player #2 in the bedroom. #1 kept losing picture and sound after about 20 minutes of playtime (any movies). You could stop it and start it back up but again the same problem. #2 never had that problem. (We're talking a timeframe of about a month here of using both units)

Ok, so here's the conundrum:
I switched the two players AND made no changes to anything...same cables, same shelf, etc. Now they are both working great. #2 in the theater never loses picture and sound AND #1 in the bedroom never loses picture and sound. (I do believe in the power of prayer but for those who don't, knock on wood)

NOW I know we could all go into detail about cables, lengths, heat, receivers, firmware (happens to be the same) ETC.

All I can think of is MAYBE the#1 is more more sensitive to the 50' cable length BUT the sound is coming from a 2' toslink cable.
Even though I am now content I can't help but ask:
ANY IDEAS?

Thanks for any response.
post #6699 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocaje View Post

Figure this one:
I have two 1400's, call it player #1 in the theater and player #2 in the bedroom. #1 kept losing picture and sound after about 20 minutes of playtime (any movies). You could stop it and start it back up but again the same problem. #2 never had that problem. (We're talking a timeframe of about a month here of using both units)

I switched the two players AND made no changes to anything...same cables, same shelf, etc. Now they are both working great. #2 in the theater never loses picture and sound AND #1 in the bedroom never loses picture and sound. (I do believe in the power of prayer but for those who don't, knock on wood)

NOW I know we could all go into detail about cables, lengths, heat, receivers, firmware (happens to be the same) ETC.

All I can think of is MAYBE the#1 is more more sensitive to the 50' cable length BUT the sound is coming from a 2' toslink cable.
ANY IDEAS?

Thanks for any response.

I agree it sounds like player #1 is more sensitive to whatever setup you have down in the theatre room, but is happy enough when in the more simpler (i assume) bedroom setup.

I also think its highly possible (even likely) that if the video drops out due to the long HDMI run, this could also cause an audio glitch, eventhough the audio is only over a short optical SPDIF cable.

And does the bedroom setup have a receiver and surround sound, or it's just straight to the TV and only uses HDMI? Player #1's problem could also be that it is happy if only using HDMI, but not when you use HDMI for vid and optical for audio

You said yo udont want to go into specs equipment and type/length of cables, but really there is not much point us saying/speculating anything in this thread, without knowing these full details
post #6700 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Figure this one:

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks for any response.

yea, delusional?

Actually one of my buddy had the same thing happened to him on his old Pio 50" plasma. It was his 50' HDMI cable to Pio propriety interface. On some rare occasions, randomly the picture and audio produced a half of a second static "glitch". He even video taped it on his camcorder to show the BB warranty person. Problem was reproducible with the A2, 1400, PS3, and Dish Network programs.

make a long story short, got full credit back from BB protection plan. Got a new 52" Sony XBR4 on Barney's recommendation. The poor baster has not been right ever since ! He's now saying, "So, this is how HD (DNA) supposed to be." Barney's a bad influence for converting him to the Dark Side.

Okk getting back to what we are talking about... what were we talking about?

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #6701 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

Dont trust the onkyo site - check your DSP firmware version yourself
-snip-

Err, who else can we trust?

Shouldn't the source of that link you gave came officially from Onkyo? I rather trust Onkyo, IMHO , than a cracked code generated by somebody like Barney's Hi Tech Garage/Uncertified Sex Therapist /Exotic Oiled Massage Therapy/AV Receiver Code Cracker .

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #6702 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hey Barney,

This site might help you:

http://www.cinemasquid.com/Home.aspx

Click on the "Blu-Ray Movie Matrix" link on the top of the page. You have 5 columns under "Matrix Display"; click on each column's drop-down and pick an item to view &/or sort.

Smarty-pants might even enjoy the Home Page where data is kept on Amazon BR price drops.

Larry

Thanks for link Larry, buddy. Had some yard work to do .yea the squid guy is a BD audio tech guru and he's in the Unofficial Blu-ray Audio Video Specs thread.

As far as [whispering privately] Smarty-pants uptight mood lately,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
he shoulda taken ol' Barney's advice and watched 27 Dresses with the misses. Right now he can break a stack of bricks without using his arm (hint: third leg ). Barney has told him it is a matter of compromise, but noooo, he's hard headed (in more ways than one )!

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #6703 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Err, who else can we trust?

Shouldn't the source of that link you gave came officially from Onkyo? I rather trust Onkyo, IMHO , than a cracked code generated by somebody like Barney's Hi Tech Garage/Uncertified Sex Therapist /Exotic Oiled Massage Therapy/AV Receiver Code Cracker .

the files available form that rapidshare link have been confirmed to be 100% identical to the ones yo ucan get through the onkyo site (assuming it accepsts your serial number which in some cases it doesnt). I just dont want people getting confused because there was also a previous 605 issue where the very early models could not decode TrueHD in the 605 and that is what the "put your serial number in to see if you are affected" thing is about on the onkyo site. The DSP update is a different and more recent thing... the best thing to do is to check the DSP firmware version and if it is not what it should be, do the update. If the onkyo site accepts the S/N then sure, download the files from there, buit if it doesnt, then the ones i linked to are fine.

Onkyo are actually not forthcominbg with information and have quite poor customer service... I would rather trust fellow enthusiasts and AVS members than an archaic CE company with ulterior motives and no established process for providing firmware updates to us users
post #6704 of 12884 Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotcha, buddy brotha from downunda. Imma just messing.

The Onkyo site is for checking the serial number for the 605 to see if a main? update is required pertaining to issues related to the decoding of TrueHD.

There is also another official Onkyo site that required your serial number relating to the DSP updates. This is after a customer has contacted them via email and the Onkyo Rep sent them a reply email to go to that site for a one time login and download of the DSP fixes.

If you are experiencing sleepness nights over the DTS "bomb" for your Onkyo receiver, then your course of action should be 1) Contact Onkyo 2) If issue not resolved (I can't fathom why not ) by Onkyo, then seek the help of your fellow legit enthusiasts, like gurkey's thread. For my DSP updates for my 805, I felt comfortable with gurkey's thread to go ahead and do it myself without contacting Onkyo first . At some point in time, I will have to deal with Onkyo with the Main update and let's hope it is not like what you have described.

Good looking out buddy and do your updates anyway you can, preferably and officially through Onkyo or their authorized repair centers.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #6705 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

I agree it sounds like player #1 is more sensitive to whatever setup you have down in the theatre room, but is happy enough when in the more simpler (i assume) bedroom setup.

I also think its highly possible (even likely) that if the video drops out due to the long HDMI run, this could also cause an audio glitch, eventhough the audio is only over a short optical SPDIF cable.

And does the bedroom setup have a receiver and surround sound, or it's just straight to the TV and only uses HDMI? Player #1's problem could also be that it is happy if only using HDMI, but not when you use HDMI for vid and optical for audio

You said yo udont want to go into specs equipment and type/length of cables, but really there is not much point us saying/speculating anything in this thread, without knowing these full details

Scarecrow, I think you've hit the nail about the sensitivity. I didn't know the HDMI video could affect a toslink issue, but maybe it's because the picture goes out that also makes the audio drop. I didn't think it necessary to go into details about the connections since the players were being interchanged. But for what it's worth:

Theater room: cheap Walmart Durabrand amp with only Dolby Digital (Yes, it's only a temporary while waiting on the new Onkyo's). 2' toslink running to 1400. 50' HDMI monocable 22awg silver-plated running from the Samsung to the Mits HC1400 projector.

Bedroom: 6' HDMI running from 1400 to Sony STRDG810 receiver. 6' HDMI running from receiver to Sony kds60a2000 RPTV.

(By the way, when using the 50' HDMI cable with either of my two Toshiba HDA2's there have been no problems.)
post #6706 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Scarecrow, I think you've hit the nail about the sensitivity. I didn't know the HDMI video could affect a toslink issue, but maybe it's because the picture goes out that also makes the audio drop. I didn't think it necessary to go into details about the connections since the players were being interchanged. But for what it's worth:

Theater room: cheap Walmart Durabrand amp with only Dolby Digital (Yes, it's only a temporary while waiting on the new Onkyo's). 2' toslink running to 1400. 50' HDMI monocable 22awg silver-plated running from the Samsung to the Mits HC1400 projector.

Bedroom: 6' HDMI running from 1400 to Sony STRDG810 receiver. 6' HDMI running from receiver to Sony kds60a2000 RPTV.

(By the way, when using the 50' HDMI cable with either of my two Toshiba HDA2's there have been no problems.)

So over the last 6 months I've become convinced that Samsung's implementation of HDCP and BD+ are much more touchy than other brands. Look at how many of the people who complain about dropouts have samsung tvs. At 50', you are pushing the limits of unamplified HDMI. The A2 sends a 1080i signal, which is much easier to pass over HDMI.

If HDCP handshakes or BD+ verification fails, you will lose your whole (audio plus video) signal until it can be re-established. The length and type of audio connection is immaterial.

If you need to run 50' of HDMI, you might look into an active system. Even though one of your 1400s is working fine right now, I'm not sure that will last too much longer. Just something to consider.
post #6707 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Golden Compass was just released it has 7.1 Master Audio....it sucks because I only could hear it in 5.1 because my reciever is HDMI 1.2 and of course my 1400 doesnt have a master audio decoder.....
post #6708 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewmanpac View Post

So over the last 6 months I've become convinced that Samsung's implementation of HDCP and BD+ are much more touchy than other brands.

I've come to the same conclusion about Samsung and HDCP issues, but not just with Blu-Ray. I had a Samsung DLP and never could get it to work with my HTPC through HDMI though I tried several different video cards. I've hooked up several different monitors and now my Sony SXRD to my HTPC and not one single problem recognizing the video card's HDMI output. The only display that would not work is the Samsung.

Sean
post #6709 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 02:51 PM

I was wondering there are 2 movies coming out with 7.1 DD TrueHD can the 1400 decode this?
post #6710 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 PM

I have a Samsung 1400 player that I purchased on Dec. 30th, 2007. I have a problem, and I wonder if any of you have had it also?

I bought a Blue-Ray concert disc and while playing it, the picture would occasionally freeze, or stutter, and the audio would often drop out. The disc looked perfect when I examined it. I put it back in, with the same result. Then I played another disc that had played perfectly before, with more audio drop outs.

But the interesting this is....it then played a regular DVD perfectly! (I assume this is because the Blu-Ray playback requires more precision than DVD.)

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than the obvious one of sending the player back for repair?

Thanks.
post #6711 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing_Javelin View Post

I was wondering there are 2 movies coming out with 7.1 DD TrueHD can the 1400 decode this?

The Sammy 1400 can decode and bitstream DD TrueHD and can only bitstream DTS-MA.
post #6712 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

I have a Samsung 1400 player that I purchased on Dec. 30th, 2007. I have a problem, and I wonder if any of you have had it also?

I bought a Blue-Ray concert disc and while playing it, the picture would occasionally freeze, or stutter, and the audio would often drop out. The disc looked perfect when I examined it. I put it back in, with the same result. Then I played another disc that had played perfectly before, with more audio drop outs.

But the interesting this is....it then played a regular DVD perfectly! (I assume this is because the Blu-Ray playback requires more precision than DVD.)

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than the obvious one of sending the player back for repair?

Thanks.

Mine is doing the same thing I sent to Samsung for repair and the first movie I played, Gattaca, I got 3 drop-outs. The 2nd movie, Juno, played fine.
post #6713 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Unfortunately the audio and video glitches when using blu-ray media seems to be a trademark of this player..... My standard dvd's have played flawlessly also. If only BR disks did too...
post #6714 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks.

I've had the same issues as Rveras. My 1400 is at Samsung right now undergoing warranty repair (HOPEFULLY)!!!!
post #6715 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

What firmware are you on and what is your AV connection type?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #6716 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

hey buddy, I love this boomoo ! I am trying to reproduce the bomb. I know, that's stupid, Barney! Thanks for the time stamp and I will test the 19 minute mark out tonight!

btw, what receiver are you bitstreaming Master Audio to?

ONKYO 605
post #6717 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ONKYO 605

I see your remarks Barney - about the 19 minute mark and when I watched it with my Onkyo 605 everything sounds normal and all of a sudden we all heard a loud sonic boom or pop that was many decibels louder than the movie and did not sound like it was part of the soundtrack.

I immediately turned the sound down to protect my KEF 3005's

I am like I stated using the 1400 bitstreaming to my ONKYO 605 via HDMI 1.3
post #6718 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

I just checked the ONKYO site and my model 605 does not require one
post #6719 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Onkyo website... don't make me laugh. Everyone has had to get their Onkyo fw updates from the underground brotha. Find the "bomb" thread and the 605 thread and start reading-reading-reading.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #6720 of 12884 Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just checked the ONKYO site and my model 605 does not require one

No see this is what I was saying - that is regarding an early problem where some 605s could not accept HD audio bitstreams... obviously yours is working on that front.

The "bomb" problem is different, and is caused by the DSP in your receiver. Check your firmware verisons - If your DSP version is not 08214A then you DO require the DSP update. Since you experienced "the bomb" i can guarantee you that your DSP is not up to date.

To check firmware version press DISPLAY and STANDBY together (on the receiver, not on the remote) this will show your MAIN firmware, then quickly press the Tone -/+ buttons to cycle through other firmware versions, such as the DSP
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page