post #8551 of 12884 Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

However, I think that the 1400 may be trying to do you a favor if you know what I mean .

Not a fan of the Water Horse are we Smarty?

FWIW, the artillery cannon blasts at the end of the movie are well done.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 12884 Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Larry

Overall might be ok for kids, but it was just way to cheesy for me. Thank goodness the wife rented it before I went and did a blind buy on Blu-ray .

I did see a good one tonight though... We Own The night . VERY good movie. I really liked the ending. Don't wanna say more without spoiling it and I don't know how to do that highlighted spoil alert thingy .
HIGHLY RECCOMENDED for a review on that one

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #8553 of 12884 Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
INDEPENDENCE DAY

"Good morning. In less than ah hour... aircraft from here will join others from around the world... and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have a new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July... and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win today... the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday... but as the day when the world declared in one voice... we will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our independence day!"

CASE COVER

MOVIE IN A NUTSHELL SUMMARY
A couple days before our Independence Day, several 15km wide saucers begin to position themselves at key locations around world, to set in motion the extermination of mankind, and it's up to Air Force Capt. Steven Hiller (Will Smith) and David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum, the guy from The Fly and Jurassic Park) to find a way to stop what seems like a undefeatable advanced alien lifeform.

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
War of the Worlds meets X-Files and a little bit of Pearl Harbor

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE

Movie A Sci-Fi Classic
Video 1080p/24fps Off
Audio 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio *
Subtitle Legibility **

AUDIO SUB-CATEGORY
Center Channel Dialog Clarity
Balanced Surround Sound Volume
Surround Sound Detail
Surround Sound Dynamics (Bass, Treble, and Separation)
Low Frequency Effects

Saw this in the theaters. A destined sci-fi action classic. Audio was a mixed bag of incorrigible center channel dialog clarity, unbalanced surround sound volume and a highly detailed surrounds with lots of dynamic range, (uncontrollable even with Re-EQ On). LFE made some presence throughout the movie. Video HD PQ is good transfer.

* Bitstreamed to Onkyo 805 | Nite Listen Mode: Auto (NA) | Re-EQ: Off
** Subtitles are arranged in multi-line format even though there was enough space to make them a one-liner. Did not use the bottom black bar area.

1400 TECHNICAL DATA

Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: No
Load Problem: No
Total Loading Time: 2 min 09 sec
Skip Previews "Shortcut" Works: No
Resume Play Works: Yes and No*
Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option: Yes **
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: Simple [Moderate] *** Complex
Dynamic Compression: Off
FW: 1.8

* WOW! kinda??? Resume play work yes and no. A message comes up asking

Quote:

Do you wish to load the previously saved settings for this disc? These include language and audio settings as well as bookmarks.

[Yes] No

I kid you not not, folks.. It doesn't really resume play at the last location. What it did was recalled your language and audio settings from the last time. Also if any bookmarks were saved previously. That's why it's a "Yes" and "No" report.
** Hidden feature under Setup, press the up arrow button to reveal a speaker icon to turn Off or On the annoying menu click sound. It is only audible in PCM mode tho, not bitstream.
*** Spaceship animation. The 1400 seems to handle it just fine.

EXTRA FEATURES WORTH NOTING

1) D-Box Motion Code - kinda like the PS3 controller vibrating to the different scenes or action of the game. If you have a D-Box device, like one of those shaking HT sofas, then you're getting more of the in the movie experience, I guess.

2) Bookmark Feature - looks like an alien controller board. Store and recall each bookmark by their number.

3) ID4 Datastream Trivia Track - Popup factoids in the upper and lower corners of the screen as you play the movie. Again, if you're into this type of stuff, turn it on after watching the movie the first time, since it can get a bit distracting.

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY
Rent: Yes
Boomoo Collection: Yes

Very entertaining sci-fi action flick. One of Barney's all-time favorite. Should be a proud and confident addition to any sci-fi action fan's boomoo collection.

Maybe one of these days, Barney can send The Wife and kids out to the mall or some place, and only then can he listen to the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track in its glory, at a healthy high volume ofcourse .

LL

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #8554 of 12884 Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Overall might be ok for kids, but it was just way to cheesy for me. Thank goodness the wife rented it before I went and did a blind buy on Blu-ray .

I did see a good one tonight though... We Own The night . VERY good movie. I really liked the ending. Don't wanna say more without spoiling it and I don't know how to do that highlighted spoil alert thingy .
HIGHLY RECCOMENDED for a review on that one

anything after the first scene where Eva Mendez getting frisk... ahem frisky by the Phoenix dude is a total blob to me .

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8555 of 12884 Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

anything after the first scene where Eva Mendez getting frisk... ahem frisky by the Phoenix dude is a total blob to me .

That's hillarious actually. I really had no idea that was coming (no pun intended ). My didn't want to pick out a movie, so I did. Right when I was puting it in the player, she was like "so what's THIS movie?". Being the smartypants that I am, i said "you know, sex, naked chicks, drugs, violence, and all that good stuff". (she's more of a chick flick kinda gal)
Then that scene came on (again, no pun intended ) and I was like "OHoo, SORRY DEAR", and she was like "uh-huh, whatever"

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #8556 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmatic View Post

My 880 powers up the Philips LCD first, then a couple seconds later the 663, followed shortly thereafter by the BD-P1400. Then the TV is ready to have it's input set. I get frequent errors in playback. Someone suggested letting these components completely boot up (or more!) and be set before starting the next one in sequence. Talk about having to point at the component rack for a long time! I'm not sure if the 880 can do it, but how if it could was what I was wanting to know.

Magmatic:
In the past, I would have to power on and off the BD-P1400 several times to get it to handshake (HDMI) with the TV correctly. If I didn't do this, I would get nothing from the BD-P1400.

What worked for me was to set up my "Watch TV" activity so that my display (a Samsung HLT 6187S) was switched to the BD-P1400 input when everything shut down. My startup sequence on starting the "Watch DVD" activity is power up TV; power up pre/pro (amps are on all the time); power up BD-P1400. Haven't had a problem since. An additional benefit of this set up is that now the BD-P1400 boots properly if I am starting up with everything off AND if I switch from watching TV to watching DVD.

Good luck.

mnilan
post #8557 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well folks, got in my hand Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay. It has a SD digital copy and it's in 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio !

Should be a good one on the 1400 to play tonite !

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8558 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anyone tried to play One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on this? on BD?

will not play for me. fw 1.8. says "This Disc Can Not Be Played"

dammit. i really wanted to see it.
post #8559 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

Have you tried all the trouble shooting techniques. Like turn on display first, make sure it's totally booted up. Then the same with the receiver/pre-amp, and make sure it is locked onto whatever input the 1400 in coming into. Lastly turn on the 1400 waiting for it too to fully boot up, then open the dvd tray and play as normal.
You could also try to clean the disc with dish soap and hot water being VERY careful not to scratch it.
Then there is also that thing where you stand on your head and recite the alphabet backwards while eating corn on the cob.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #8560 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

haha.

yeah well my system locks onto the Samsung just fine, and all other BD's play fine. the disc is new, it just came out. it is from BB Online but it came to me right after release so I'm probably the first person to use it. no scratches, not dirty.

frustrating. might just keep it till i pick up the 51-FD if that comes out today like it's supposed to. getting tired of dealing w/the 1400....
post #8561 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was really getting tired of the 1400's hiccups as well. However, since I started doing that power on sequence I just referred to, I have now played about 10 BR discs with absolutely no problems what-so-ever. It could just be a bad disc too, ya know? I assume you don't have another player to try it in?... or maybe a friend's player?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #8562 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

nah i'm the only tech savvy one of my friends. i'll return and try another disc, but it could be the same one coming back to me from BB Online. i don't think my store has one. might have to settle for the DVD, still haven't seen the movie.

i've never had that error after over 30 BD's. only on DVD's when I first got the player, and then i sent it to Samsung.
post #8563 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

Magmatic:
In the past, I would have to power on and off the BD-P1400 several times to get it to handshake (HDMI) with the TV correctly. If I didn't do this, I would get nothing from the BD-P1400.

What worked for me was to set up my "Watch TV" activity so that my display (a Samsung HLT 6187S) was switched to the BD-P1400 input when everything shut down. My startup sequence on starting the "Watch DVD" activity is power up TV; power up pre/pro (amps are on all the time); power up BD-P1400. Haven't had a problem since. An additional benefit of this set up is that now the BD-P1400 boots properly if I am starting up with everything off AND if I switch from watching TV to watching DVD.

Good luck.

Thank you, I guess I'll have to try keeping the Philips TV on the HDMI input 1 whenever not watching TV (Ant) or satellite (Component). But I don't have HDCP handshaking issues, the BD-P1400, Yamaha RX-V663, and Philips 47PF9441D/37 get along quite well, actually. It's just that somewhere in the middle of a Boomoo, I get shaky, wavy, or complete loss of video; often with audio dropouts as well. This happens 4 out of ten Boomoo viewings, no matter what I try.

HD DVD movies - 52
Blu-ray movies - 31
HD-XA2 firmware 4.0
HD-A2 firmware 4.0
BDP-S550 firmware 07.2.020
BD-P1400 firmware 2.3
RX-V663 firmware C051E / 04.07r2
post #8564 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Larry

I wiped down the disc, used copy, and tried it again. This time around the disc loaded with no issues. I am looking forward to watching it tonight. I am a sap for these kind of family movies.

HD DVD - 86 titles and counting
BD - 24 titles and counting
post #8565 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you, I guess I'll have to try keeping the Philips TV on the HDMI input 1 whenever not watching TV (Ant) or satellite (Component). But I don't have HDCP handshaking issues, the BD-P1400, Yamaha RX-V663, and Philips 47PF9441D/37 get along quite well, actually. It's just that somewhere in the middle of a Boomoo, I get shaky, wavy, or complete loss of video; often with audio dropouts as well. This happens 4 out of ten Boomoo viewings, no matter what I try.

Sounds like the laser may be sticking ever so slightly around the layer change. IF you haven't tried the DIY maintenance routine, then you may want to try that.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #8566 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just got the notification that Netflix shipped out JUMPER BD. It sat in my que for quite a while saying LONG WAIT (no sh*t!!!). Anybody (yes, I mean you, Barney!!!) seen it yet? No review????

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #8567 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

yes I have buddy.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7638

Entertaining action flick. weird tho... Bridge to Tarabethia meets Star Wars Episode II?

Great surrounds and LFE.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8568 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^

Immaculate Phoobah, PQ on Jumper is off the charts good...

SQ is not as good as PQ, still, this is a very good BR and worthy of a rent.

Larry
post #8569 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4/10 boomoos is a bad sign that your 1400 is on the CrazyTrain straight to hell, buddy ... and fast. Have a qualified tech look at it when you're exhausted all resources. As a CYA assurance and not worth it acting up on you in a middle of movie, especially the dreadful scenerio involving demo-ing your kickass hi-fi hidef systems to guests .

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8570 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's a good chance that I will pick this up sometime this week, buddy. I will let you know...

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8571 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a CYA assurance and not worth it acting up on you in a middle of movie, especially the dreadful scenerio involving demo-ing your kickass hi-fi hidef systems to guests .

Yes, Barney, that is so true. That is why I still have my HD-DVD players in the rack...in case a VIP is in the house.

Larry
post #8572 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I posted this on the Blu-ray imports thread and got no response so I'm going to try here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlacklow
The link comes up as 404 because AVS blocks referrers, but I'm guessing it's "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer".

It should actually be all-region, since Sony policy has all catalog titles set that way, so you should be able to play it just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I finally got the title in yesterday and had no problems at all playing it. Does anyone know why a studio would sell a new BD release in the UK and not in the US such as this one?

lujan
691 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #8573 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After reading this, I loaded the disc up until the FBI warning screen just to see if it would work for me.

No problem for me -- it got to there and the initial WB jingle. You probably have a bad disc.
post #8574 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

HAROLD & KUMAR ESCAPE FROM GUANTANAMO BAY

"Dude, there's a Cyclops in your basement!"

CASE COVER

MOVIE IN A NUTSHELL SUMMARY
The story picks up right after Harold and Kumar came back from White Castle, and this time Harold is going to Amsterdam to try and win Maria's love only to find themselves arrested and sent to Guantanamo Bay and the only person that can help is Harold's other buddy who's about to get married to Kumar's ex.

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
Dumb and Dumber meets Bad Boys II

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE

Movie For fans of the first one.
Video 1080p/24fps Off
Audio 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio *
Subtitle Legibility **

AUDIO SUB-CATEGORY
Center Channel Dialog Clarity
Balanced Surround Sound Volume
Surround Sound Detail
Surround Sound Dynamics (Bass, Treble, and Separation)
Low Frequency Effects

Movie is silly, fun, and risqué at moments. Only for fans like the first H&K. Audio was very good disregarding the several pop problems I will mention later on. video is a very good transferred.

* Bitstreamed to Onkyo 805 | Nite Listen Mode: Auto (NA) | Re-EQ: Off
** Subtitles are arranged in multi-line format even though there was enough space to make them a one-liner.

1400 TECHNICAL DATA

Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: Yes *
Load Problem: No
Total Loading Time: 49 sec!
Skip Previews "Shortcut" Works: Yes
Resume Play Works: Yes
Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option: No
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: Simple Moderate Complex
Dynamic Compression: Off
FW: 1.8

* HAROLD & KUMAR AUDIO IS FUBAR! I think it has to do with the bad authoring of the disc more than the 1400. Throughout the movie, several (+10x) small pops are heard. I suspect it has to do with a "hybrid" seamless branching technique used. As a special feature, you can watch the "Dude, Change the Movie!" feature. What this does is as the movie plays, certain scenes will offer the audience options to choose, e.g. Watch Harold or Kumar's dream? It is the transitioning into and out of this feature that causes the small pops. Yep, New Line FUBAR this disc Big Time.

EXTRA FEATURES WORTH NOTING

1) SD Digital Copy Included

2) Dude, Change the Movie - You can choose alternate scenes as the movie plays.

3) Bush PSA - Public Service Announcement? It's the guy that looks and talk like G. Bush, telling you about the H&K film.

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY
Rent: Yes
Boomoo Collection: No

Harold & Kumar is just for fans. The second one is definitely more raunchier than the first. More girls frontal and rear shots. That's a plus. However, the several seamless branching bs popping noise on the 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track was discouraging and made it less than an enjoyable viewing of this flick... too bad cause some parts were actually funny. I'm surprised not many are reporting this? Or maybe I just have a bad 1400/805 combo? I swear that I've done the updates for the 805.

LL

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8575 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can't turn "dude, change the movie" feature off???
Not that I would care to watch this movie anytime soon .
However, with seamless branching, there's usually a way to turn that feature off and watch the regular version. That's the whole point of seamless branching.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #8576 of 12884 Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, I watched Scorpion King last night just for you barn. I know what put me in such a mood when watching it before. That first scene... it's Soooo cheesy and bad. I was rolling my eyes before it even got started. However, overall it was better than what I remember. I also have a much better setup than last time I saw it, so that made it more enjoyable. I did watch in SD too. Don't feel bad for me though. I've got a region 3 disc that has a great transfer and DTS sound. Looked almost HD a lot of the time playing on the Oppo DV-983H . I give it a solid 6.1 out of 10. A decent Conan-wannabe-flick to watch on a Sunday afternoon .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #8577 of 12884 Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't turn "dude, change the movie" feature off???
Not that I would care to watch this movie anytime soon .
However, with seamless branching, there's usually a way to turn that feature off and watch the regular version. That's the whole point of seamless branching.

unfortunately there really isn't a way to turn off a seamless branching. It's perdy much a done deal once they put in more than one version or alternate scenes option of the movie on the a same disc. It's up to the player to process and adjust to the different location and scene of the desired track. H&K EFGB I didn't noticed any video stutters, but somehow the audio produced several weird skipping and popping noise on both the normal movie option and the "Dude, You FUBAR the Movie" feature option.

Can someone else confirm this for me? much preesheeatit.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #8578 of 12884 Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:

4/10 boomoos is a bad sign that your 1400 is on the CrazyTrain straight to hell, buddy ... and fast. Have a qualified tech look at it when you're exhausted all resources. .

I agree, but it has always been this way from day one out of the box. Not getting any better nor worse. Every FW upgrade and BD cleaner disc brings my heart hope anew... only to be let down. And it is not even that consistent as a disc I own will play through one time, and glitch the next. Then it will play through once more. I suppose I could save a few pennies and then send it off to SamSk, but I'll need to change my Netflix back to DVD rather than BD preference for awhile. And what assurance do I have it will be right when done? I don't recall any hordes of success stories with this product and service, but I might be wrong.

Quote:

As a CYA assurance and not worth it acting up on you in a middle of movie, especially the dreadful scenerio involving demo-ing your kickass hi-fi hidef systems to guests

That's what the Toshiba HD-XA2 is for.

HD DVD movies - 52
Blu-ray movies - 31
HD-XA2 firmware 4.0
HD-A2 firmware 4.0
BD-P1400 firmware 2.3
post #8579 of 12884 Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Sounds like the laser may be sticking ever so slightly around the layer change. IF you haven't tried the DIY maintenance routine, then you may want to try that.

I'm under warranty, and not yet fond of opening it up yet. It may come to that one day, I fear.

HD DVD movies - 52
Blu-ray movies - 31
HD-XA2 firmware 4.0
HD-A2 firmware 4.0
BD-P1400 firmware 2.3
post #8580 of 12884 Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, Barney, that is so true. That is why I still have my HD-DVD players in the rack...in case a VIP is in the house.

Larry

+1

HD DVD movies - 52
Blu-ray movies - 31
HD-XA2 firmware 4.0
HD-A2 firmware 4.0
BD-P1400 firmware 2.3
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version