post #9601 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcnally View Post

It really depends on the authoring. For instance, I just watched "The Fall" last night (nice BD, BTW). The disk includes both DD and TrueHD, and the TrueHD starts by default when you hit Play from the main menu. As smarty says, though, there are plenty of other discs that play the standard DD track by default.

Go figure.

I'll be damned, that is the first I have heard of a disc defaulting to THD. I wish they all did.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I'll be damned, that is the first I have heard of a disc defaulting to THD. I wish they all did.

Not quite so Smarty pants..... If I recall correctly I have had many a BD movie start with the lossless HD track (as default). I know because I always check the audio selection menu before I press PLAY just to make sure I am getting the lossless track.

Paul
post #9603 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Not quite so Smarty pants..... If I recall correctly I have had many a BD movie start with the lossless HD track (as default). I know because I always check the audio selection menu before I press PLAY just to make sure I am getting the lossless track.

Paul

I'm talking TrueHD here. Every disc that includes DTS-HD/MA has the MA track as the default. The ^above^ example is the first I have heard of a TrueHD track being the default track when there is also a legacy track on the same disc. As for Uncompresed PCM, I'm not sure of the default ratio on those discs.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #9604 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i put up indy jones 4 tonite, it played all the way thru, nary a glitch.
this 1400 is starting to really impress me. it seems to be 'ahem!', reliable?.

hasn't 'effed up' yet!

and i swear it loaded in 30 secs but i didnt time it so i'm sure i'm way off there.
or maybe not.

10' from 84" screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9605 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM

Wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to pop open the bd-rom tray with the unit off. I've had my 1400 since about january its a refurb. Anyways, recently loaded the newest firmware when I had problems playing The Godfather. After I did, the movie loaded fine. Turned on my player with the godfather disk in the tray and the player basically locked up and the front panel just states loading. The unit doesn't output any display. I tried holding in the open disc button and not response. Turning the unit on with the open tray button just turns on the player and the front panel says open but it doesn't open. Since there is a disc in there, it won't let me do the factory reset. Any help appreciated
post #9606 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2008)

MOVIE IN A NUTSHELL SUMMARY
When Dr. Bruce Banner has almost found a cure, in comes The Abomination made from the Hulk's own experimental gamma serum.

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
King Kong meets A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Spider Man 3 and a little bit of Cloverfield and I Am Legend

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE
Overall Home Theater Experience
Movie Stupid So-So [Spectacular]
Video 1080p/24fps Off *
Audio 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio **
Subtitle Legibility ***

AUDIO SOUNDSTAGE SUB-CATEGORY
Center Channel Dialog Clarity
Balanced Surround Sound Volume
Surround Sound Detail
Surround Sound Dynamics (Bass, Treble, Separation, and Transition)
Low Frequency Effects

* Good to Sometimes Very Good PQ
** Bitstream to Onkyo 805 | Late Nite Mode: Off | Re-EQ: Off | 7.2 Surround Sound Setup (7.5 w/ LFE Connected Fronts?)
*** 2 and 3-liners. Did not used the bottom black bar area.

1400 TECHNICAL DATA
Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: No
Load Problem: No *
Total Loading Time: 1 min 54 sec | PS3: 52 sec
Skip Previews "Shortcut" Works: N/A
Resume Play Works: Condition **
Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option: Yes ***
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: Simple [Moderate] Complex
Dynamic Compression: Off
FW: 1.9 | PS3: 2.50

* Reset the 1400 persistent memory if you have problems loading.

** after 5 minutes of pause, the Universal Screensaver is activated, before the Samsung blue screensaver had the chance to turn on. The Universal screensaver can go past 5 minutes. Simply hit the disc popup menu button or one of the red, blue, yellow bookmark buttons to resume play. Simply hitting play or the pause button again does not work.

*** Menu button Sound option is in the Setup item. May only be audible in PCM mode.

EXTRA FEATURES WORTH NOTING

1) Extras Whole bunch. some good ones are An Alternate Opening (not Ending), Deleted Scenes, and Comic to Movie feature.

2) Bookmark Feature

3) U-Control Able to turn on The Thunderbolt Files, Scene Explorer, and Animated Comic. Wasn't able to turn on Comic Book Gallery or PiP. Thunderbolt Files is a cool feature you wanna turn on after watching it the first time. GPS tracking, Operation Team Member Info and all the real time fact about a particular scene in a dropdown widget.

4) BD-Live BD Profile 2.0 feature not accessible with the 1400. Accessed it with the PS3 and it's nothing really exciting to get all rowdup for. Wanna login to their member exclusive area but I could never remember my account info since the HD DVD playing of The Kingdom and somehow they kept that. Tried to create s new one, but it said my account is already existed?

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY?
Rent: Yes
Boomoo Collection: Yes

After the disappointing last one, with the hulk jumping over the Grand Canyon in two leaps, I swore I will never watch another Hulk cheezy CGI again. Well, after taking the foot out of my mouth, I have been a re-born again Hulk fan. The Incredible Hulk is the real King of DC Comic superhero released on Blu-ray thus far. Yes, it even beats Iron Man hands down. Speaking of Iron Man, I think DC Comic has a big surprise for us in stored. Saw Stark at the end recruiting . Go get this boomoo for your collection ASAP. The surround sound will blow you away!

LL

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #9607 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-KGB View Post

Wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to pop open the bd-rom tray with the unit off. I've had my 1400 since about january its a refurb. Anyways, recently loaded the newest firmware when I had problems playing The Godfather. After I did, the movie loaded fine. Turned on my player with the godfather disk in the tray and the player basically locked up and the front panel just states loading. The unit doesn't output any display. I tried holding in the open disc button and not response. Turning the unit on with the open tray button just turns on the player and the front panel says open but it doesn't open. Since there is a disc in there, it won't let me do the factory reset. Any help appreciated

That's a tough one. The 1400 doesn't have a small hole to put a paper clip in to manually eject the tray. You can open its top cover and see if you can pry open it with a flathead or butter knife... that advice comes with a disclaimer ofcourse. No you can not sue Barney if you break it. Just be careful. You want it unplugged and just enough room after prying it opened to stick your finger nail in to do the rest of the work. Good luck buddy.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9608 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm talking TrueHD here. Every disc that includes DTS-HD/MA has the MA track as the default. The ^above^ example is the first I have heard of a TrueHD track being the default track when there is also a legacy track on the same disc. As for Uncompresed PCM, I'm not sure of the default ratio on those discs.

There you go again, Smarty. You got to get into the 21st century buddy!

For newer releases, the default DTS-HD Master Audio OR Dolby TrueHD track is really a safe bet. While most concentrate on the Core extraction of DTS Master Audio, there is a hidden companion DD track for TrueHD. So no matter if your player can decode TrueHD or bitstreams it, DD is always there just in case.

LPCM as a default track? It is highly unlikely since not everyone has an HDMI receiver and some still uses fiber optics. You get stereo from 5.1+ PCM streams with fO.

The screw up is in the beginning of Blu-ray. Letting the player decode? PCM tracks? DTS core vs. TrueHD hidden companion track? I think BDA has came a long way and perdy much have the codecs or default track figured out. Again TrueHD, like DTS Master Audio, is a safe bet as the default track.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9609 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

DVD...that is just wrong, Barney.

The Incredible Hulk was.....just incredible. The LFE was 5 stars all the way and even The Wife enjoyed this version.

right on point, buddy. Surround sound dynamics, bass, and LFE were awesome!

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9610 of 12884 Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

There you go again, Smarty. You got to get into the 21st century buddy!

For newer releases, the default DTS-HD Master Audio OR Dolby TrueHD track is really a safe bet. While most concentrate on the Core extraction of DTS Master Audio, there is a hidden companion DD track for TrueHD. So no matter if your player can decode TrueHD or bitstreams it, DD is always there just in case.

LPCM as a default track? It is highly unlikely since not everyone has an HDMI receiver and some still uses fiber optics. You get stereo from 5.1+ PCM streams with fO.

The screw up is in the beginning of Blu-ray. Letting the player decode? PCM tracks? DTS core vs. TrueHD hidden companion track? I think BDA has came a long way and perdy much have the codecs or default track figured out. Again TrueHD, like DTS Master Audio, is a safe bet as the default track.

I know I have at least 10 differnet BRs that have True-HD and I have to go into the menu and change it to THD because the default track is the legacy 5.1.
I'm not sure why I'm getting so much grief over this. Are you trying to tell me that most people would prefer to listen to the old vanilla Dolby track as opposed to the lossless ?

This is how it needs to work, mandatory...
-All HD that contain lossless audio tracks will have that audio track as the default. If you are basssackwards and can't somehow decode that track in some way, then you go into the menu and find the old vanilla one.

->HOW NOT TO BE BASSSACKWARDS:
-Own a 1.3 HDMI switching reciever and/or preamp with the proper decoders built in. (the rest is self explanitory)

OR

-Own a HD player that has 5.1 and/or 7.1 analog output so you can send lossless audio to your receiver and/or preamp with the proper multichannel analog inputs.
(this would require the HD player to internally decode the lossless audio and be able to send it out via multichannel analog output)
(the high bitrate core soundtrack of said lossless soundtrack could also be extracted and sent out via MCH analog output)
(^in the same manner, said core soundtrack could also be sent out via spdif output)

-For uncompressed PCM, the first two scenarios should be followed first, however if useing spdif output, the HD player should be able to downres the audio for proper transfer. Maybe this is alredy in effect, I'm not sure on that point.

In no circustance should the legacy soundtrack be made the default soundtrack when a lossless one is available. The only situation that comes to mind, are those people who are hooking up their HD player directly to their tv with no receiver/preamp.
That's kind_of like buying a race car with a 3 cyl engine under the hood. Seriously though, I will have 2 setups in my new house just like that, and I would not mind having to go into the menu to find the legacy track. That would be my penance for being basssackwards .

Is it possible to implement via firmware, a selectable setting within the player's menu, that you can assign which audio track to select when it is available.
IE: When DTS-HD/MA is available, which soundtrack would you like to select as a default... I select DTS-HD/MA or... I select DTS or... I select Dolby Digital.
So then whenever a MA track is available, it is automatically selected. Same with THD, PCM or whatever. You could also choose to auto select DolbyDigital or whatever.
Yes?... no?... maybe?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #9611 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 AM
ng3

Any owner having Iron Man (German), do u encounter freezing after the loading screen pop up?

1500 can play this disc, so do panasonic BD30, bt not on Pioneer 51.
post #9612 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Smarty, the disc defaulting to DD instead of TrueHD is an authoring issue. Every Warner Bros. disc is that way. They start up directly to the movie bypassing the menu and default to DD. Most other studios either default to TrueHD, or start with the menu so you can choose the lossless track.
post #9613 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Chad. I do understand that it is the authoring of the disc that is doing that. I didn't think it was the 1400 or anything. Just another off topic rant by yours truely.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #9614 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I watched Beerfest last night and it did the same thing. No title track just straight to the movie in standard DD. Had to manually switch to TrueHD. It was another WB release. Is this just a WB thing?

I do like the fact that I can switch back and forth from regular DD to TrueHD on the fly without having to stop the movie. I watched toe lobby scene in the Matrix in regular DD the re-watched it in TrueHD...my God, no comparison at all. True HD was so much cleaner and made everything come to life in surround. regular DD almost sounded muffled, especially when the shlees hit the floor ot the glass building explodes in the helicopter scene. TrueHD was unreal in those scenes.

I have the 605 and have a 7.1 setup. I guess I need to upgrade to the 606 so I can matrix (no pun intended) the 5.1 HD tracks to all 7 speakers. Regardless, it still sounds incredible
post #9615 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:

--snip--
This is how it needs to work, mandatory...
-All HD that contain lossless audio tracks will have that audio track as the default. If you are basssackwards and can't somehow decode that track in some way, then you go into the menu and find the old vanilla one.
-snip--

I absolutely agree. As soon as they were (are) incorporated, the most advanced audio codec should be default for any media.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #9616 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I absolutely agree. As soon as they were (are) incorporated, the most advanced audio codec should be default for any media.

BTW: lighten up I'm jus' sayin'

That's right buddy. Smarty's making mountains of molehills. must be lock down town on interest rate?

like Phoobah, I'm jus' sayin' that the future of lossless codecs is somewhat plug and play... should be? No firmware, no hardware fix required. It is in the design and implementation of these lossless codecs. Boomoos like MIB, Transformers, Spidey 3, Gattaca, RE: E, Cloverfield, and some others can list their audio specs as:

Quote:

... English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD/French 5.1 Dolby Digital/Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital...

No mentioning of English 5.1 Dolby Digital? So your question maybe, "What's with the boomoos with both English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD and English 5.1 Dolby Digital?" As you have mentioned, those are the byproduct of the "basssackwards" design by the BDA from BD Profile 1.0 Grace Period?

DTS-HD Master Audio has already well accomplished this, like the boomoo The Golden Compass where the sole audio track is 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. No reason why on newer discs, Dolby TrueHD can't be the same? I'm jus' sayin' buddy. Times are changing...

BTW, under setup, the 1400 (default) language has an effect on the default language track...

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9617 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng3 View Post

Any owner having Iron Man (German), do u encounter freezing after the loading screen pop up?

1500 can play this disc, so do panasonic BD30, bt not on Pioneer 51.

No problem here with the US version.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...3#post14784323

sound like a dirty lens issue. Search for the Maxell utility that may help or the cleaning of the lenses manaully by openning up the 1400 cover.

If all else failed, bad authored disc or a bad 1400 unit, specifically a scratched eye?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9618 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 PM
ng3

Only this Iron Man (Ger) hand after loading scene. Other discs can play.

Tested at service centre with new firmware upgrade (Version 1.8), same problem.
They tested on another 1400, same problem.
Tested on 1000, the disc just eject out after a while.
Tested on 1500, no problem, disc can play.

I suspend it could be the software issue.

My friend tested on his pioneer 51, it can play until only the hulk trailer.
He tested on his BD30, no problem. Was told the audio for this German version was better than the US version.

Quote:

No problem here with the US version.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...3#post14784323

sound like a dirty lens issue. Search for the Maxell utility that may help or the cleaning of the lenses manaully by openning up the 1400 cover.

If all else failed, bad authored disc or a bad 1400 unit, specifically a scratched eye?

post #9619 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post

must be lock down town on interest rate?

Nope. Locked at 6% long ago buddy . Of course that doesn't make it any less stressful. This is our first mortgage and it has been a real roller coaster of a ride... and not the fun kind like at the amusement park . Finally closing on the 3rd should provide a little cushion on the blood pressure meter .
Sometimes Smarty gets a little too excited. When that happens just ignore him and move on.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #9620 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only this Iron Man (Ger) hand after loading scene. Other discs can play.
-snip-
Was told the audio for this German version was better than the US version.

Maybe you guys can get Samsung to fix it with the next FW update? Nevermind, Samsung is an equal opportunity offender and we're talking about the pathetic Samsung Customer Support.

Better audio? What you guys get for the Euros? Don't tell me it's 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9621 of 12884 Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. Locked at 6% long ago buddy . Of course that doesn't make it any less stressful. This is our first mortgage and it has been a real roller coaster of a ride... and not the fun kind like at the amusement park . Finally closing on the 3rd should provide a little cushion on the blood pressure meter .
Sometimes Smarty gets a little too excited. When that happens just ignore him and move on.

remember it's suppose to be good times, buddy. Piece of the American Pie.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9622 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I spent quite a while looking and couldn't find anything.

I have a Sumsung 1400 connected to an Onkyo 605. I get Dolby True HD and dts HD Master, but no sound is output to the rear center channel speakers. Is it possible to get 7.1 audio with this combination, and if so how?
post #9623 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsdt View Post

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I spent quite a while looking and couldn't find anything.

I have a Sumsung 1400 connected to an Onkyo 605. I get Dolby True HD and dts HD Master, but no sound is output to the rear center channel speakers. Is it possible to get 7.1 audio with this combination, and if so how?

Assuming you already have the 8 speakers connected to your 605, you just need to set the audio on the 1400 to "bitstream" and make sure you select the correct audio in the popup menu of the movie usually in the "language" settings and you should be all set. I usually go there first when playing a movie because a great deal of the time, the best audio is not the default. Also, I'm assuming your connected to the 605 via HDMI.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #9624 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Most soundtracks are not 7.1, but 5.1. If you have a disc that actually has a 7.1 soundtrack, then you should hear all 8 speakers going.
If the the soundtrack is 5.1, and you want to matrix that track to 7.1, then your receiver must do that via one of it's DSP surround modes... IF your receiver has that option in the first place. My Onkyo 805 does, but I'm not sure if the 605 does or not.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #9625 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most soundtracks are not 7.1, but 5.1. If you have a disc that actually has a 7.1 soundtrack, then you should hear all 8 speakers going.
If the the soundtrack is 5.1, and you want to matrix that track to 7.1, then your receiver must do that via one of it's DSP surround modes... IF your receiver has that option in the first place. My Onkyo 805 does, but I'm not sure if the 605 does or not.

No, the 605 cant do that as it only has 1 DSP chip rather than the 3 that the 705/805/875/905 have. It cant apply processing (including matrixing listening modes, and audyssey corrections) when it is receiving TrueHD/DTSMA bitstreams or multi channel PCM. The only time he will get the rear speakers playing is if the BD has a native 7.1 audio track, which as you say not many do
post #9626 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
ng3

Am waiting samsung reply..

German set is in DTS-HD MA, US is in DT HD.
Quote:

Maybe you guys can get Samsung to fix it with the next FW update? Nevermind, Samsung is an equal opportunity offender and we're talking about the pathetic Samsung Customer Support.

Better audio? What you guys get for the Euros? Don't tell me it's 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio?

post #9627 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Am waiting samsung reply..

German set is in DTS-HD MA, US is in DT HD.

Really? 7.1 or 5.1 DTS-HD MA? If the same ol' 5.1, I doubt there's that much difference between Master Audio and TrueHD, with late night mode off (Dynamic Compression on the 1400 for analog users).

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #9628 of 12884 Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 PM
ng3

DTS-HD MA 5.1.
Bt some how or rather.. some ppl might find something miss in the track for DT HD.. like transformers.. the base is defintely deeper than HD version.. bt some how.. it sound a bit funny as compare w DD5.1 (for transformers BD).

Quote:

Really? 7.1 or 5.1 DTS-HD MA? If the same ol' 5.1, I doubt there's that much difference between Master Audio and TrueHD, with late night mode off (Dynamic Compression on the 1400 for analog users).

post #9629 of 12884 Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I see the Sony BDPS350 is a Black Friday item at $180. Is this BR player much better than the 1400 which I currently own...is it worth "upgrading"
post #9630 of 12884 Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

I see the Sony BDPS350 is a Black Friday item at $180. Is this BR player much better than the 1400 which I currently own...is it worth "upgrading"

I believe you've got the wrong thread for this question...

and also, Amazon has a great deal on the Samsung 1500: you buy it and four BDs from the list, enter the code at checkout, and you get it all for <$184

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page