Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread - Page 358 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10711 of 12884 Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the bd-p1400 for a long time now but I've been watching more movies of late. After trying to watch transporter 3 tonight and the player getting stuck on load as well as being a recent victim of the 5 min pause feature, I'm considering other options. Do allplayers take so long to load movies?

First let me say that I am in the middle of upgrading to fw 1.9 and hope that will allow me to was transporter3. Will know soon enough. And thanks to barney for his nice fw update faq.

SO I am out of the loop as far as the other low-mid level BR players rate. I will do my research but wouldn't mind some suggestions/comments.

Thanks
rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 12884 Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyrowitz View Post

I've had the bd-p1400 for a long time now but I've been watching more movies of late. After trying to watch transporter 3 tonight and the player getting stuck on load as well as being a recent victim of the 5 min pause feature, I'm considering other options. Do allplayers take so long to load movies?

First let me say that I am in the middle of upgrading to fw 1.9 and hope that will allow me to was transporter3. Will know soon enough. And thanks to barney for his nice fw update faq.

SO I am out of the loop as far as the other low-mid level BR players rate. I will do my research but wouldn't mind some suggestions/comments.

Thanks
rpm

a suggestion-i find that cleaning the bd before playing seems to help in ~99% of the loadings and playings.
in the 8 months i've had my 1400 (fw 1.9) i think i had 1 disc that wouldn't load no matter what. don't even remember what it was.

the last (edit-3) bds i've watched (since fw 1.9) all loaded in about 1 minute.
post #10713 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I will do my research but wouldn't mind some suggestions/comments.

Thanks
rpm

rpm:
Check out the soon-to-be-released Oppo 83. There is a pre-release or beta evaluation going on now. Results are very promising.

mnilan
post #10714 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

..... [cricket noises] ... Barney's not saying nuttin .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

That's cute...coming from a guy that calls B/R's "Boomoos".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Judging by some of the movies you've rated as "Spectacular", I'm not going to say anything either.

I only am saying that "MILK" is a great movie. If you lived through that time and were old enough and smart enough to develop hatred for Anita Bryant you will get pissed-off all over again watching this movie... not to mention how crazy the jury was that found the murdering butthead Dan White guilty of MANSLAUGHTER because of his addiction to junk food...
Anyway, joebob this movie... great acting, great casting, good story, and an eye opener.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #10715 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I only am saying that "MILK" is a great movie. If you lived through that time and were old enough and smart enough to develop hatred for Anita Bryant you will get pissed-off all over again watching this movie... not to mention how crazy the jury was that found the murdering butthead Dan White guilty of MANSLAUGHTER because of his addiction to junk food...
Anyway, joebob this movie... great acting, great casting, good story, and an eye opener.

I have it on my Netflix queue.

lujan
667 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #10716 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw "Milk" when it opened. I agree that's it's a great movie but I have no idea what the posts you quoted have to do with any of this.
post #10717 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

rpm:
Check out the soon-to-be-released Oppo 83. There is a pre-release or beta evaluation going on now. Results are very promising.

Can't say that word round here . It's Other People's Player Originally.

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #10718 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sean Penn, Best Male Actor of the Year 2009 Academy Winner.

What's the story about, anyway? junk food addict/hippies protesting the war?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10719 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
rpm

dropping like flies .

Finding a new BD player requires a little more understanding of your needs and wants. The type equipment you have, the enviroment, and your budget all comes into play. Last but not least, it should be A BS ... Anything But Samsung!

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10720 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's cute...coming from a guy that calls B/R's "Boomoos".

You gonna like the technical review for the boomoo Mongol tonite!

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10721 of 12884 Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:

I saw "Milk" when it opened. I agree that's it's a great movie but I have no idea what the posts you quoted have to do with any of this.

Well, I'm willing to admit I made an assumption (and all that implies) when I read those responses to the original posting about Brokeback Mtn. I guess I could just change my Milk "review" to an individual post... but I'll let it stand.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #10722 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

My fellow 1400 brethren, mark today's date. A date which will live in infamy . The 1400 has beaten the PS3 and tied the BD35 in loading time of a boomoo ! More on that later .

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10723 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

?????
post #10724 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Can't say that word round here . It's Other People's Player Originally.

Ya down wit OPPO?

...Yea you know me[o]
post #10725 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

MONGOL

Studio New Line Cinema | Aspect Ratio 2.40:1 | Selected Audio Track Mongolian* 5.1 Dolby Digital (Default)

Mongol features a sole 5.1 Dolby Digital Mongolian audio track supplemented with English and Spanish subtitles.

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
Conan the Barbarian meets Alexander and a little bit of Mulan, Shogun (TV), Shaka Zulu (TV), Attila (TV), In the Name of the King, Warriors of Heaven and Earth, 10,000 BC, and The Last Samurai

WHAT'S THE MOVIE ABOUT?
The rise of Genghis Khan.

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE
Overall Home Theater Experience
Movie Stupid [So-So] Spectacular
Video *
Audio **
Subtitle Legibility ***

AUDIO SOUNDSTAGE SUB-CATEGORY
Center Channel Dialog Clarity
Balanced Surround Sound Volume
Surround Sound Detail
Surround Sound Dynamics (Bass, Treble, Separation, and Transition)
Low Frequency Effects

* 1080p/24fps OFF. Excellent PQ, Crisp & Pristine.
** Bitstream to Onkyo 805 | Late Nite Mode: Off | Re-EQ: Off | 7.2 Surround Sound Setup
*** White text with thin black borders. Mostly single line text displayed on the bottom black bar area.

1400 TECHNICAL DATA
Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: No
Load Problem: No
Total Loading Time: 0 min 27 sec | PS3: 0 min 30 sec | BD35: 0 min 27 sec
Skip Previews "Shortcut": Yes *
Resume Play: Yes
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: [Simple] Moderate Complex
Dynamic Range Compression: Off
FW: 2.0 | PS3: 2.53 | BD35: 1.1

* Since there is not a true main menu, the movie starts automatically. However, if you do the skip preview shortcut, then a screen comes up with only "PLAY" movie menu item as an option.

DISC FEATURES WORTH NOTING

Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option No

Secondary Audio No

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY?
Rent: Yes
Boomoo Collection: Maybe Already in Barney's (blind buy).

This is the forth time watching Mongol. It is complicated in recommending it for a rental or adding it to your boomoo collection. The cinematography and the landscape are beautifully shot and presented very well in HD. The movie itself is so-so after the initial review. This is the part that gets complicated. If you have the luxury to watch Mongol more than one time, you kinda get the feeling on the direction of the film. Characters become more recognizable, who's who. The theme becomes more apparent.

It is not like Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon or those types of action packed kung fu fighting movies. It is more of a story telling theme with some/a few action and battle scenes. But this is where the audience is lost in the "greatest General of the greatest empire" movie presentation. The conflict in the film direction and the story of Genghis Khan as a military leader go together like oil and water. True, you want to show Genghis as a family man and a lover. But surviving from childhood tragedies and prosecution by other Mongols seem more of chance and the sympathy of strangers than skill. Amassing a large army and following was not elaborated enough in the film. But if you pay attention during the film, the only explanation one can draw from this is Genghis did asked a "divine" power for help.

I have seen foreign films from the East that the Western audience never made the connection (like Warrior of Heaven and Earth was horrendous ). Mongol wouldn't fall in that category. The style of the film, some can claim it to be "epic" in proportion. I won't argue with that. However, if you get the chance to rent Mongol, do it some justice and watch it more than one time.

-

LL

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10726 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

My fellow 1400 brethren, mark today's date. A date which will live in infamy . The 1400 has beaten the PS3 and tied the BD35 in loading time of a boomoo ! More on that later .

Wow Barney, three whole seconds....PS3 is a POS.
post #10727 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, it feels great to be a 1400 owner today!

It's good to be King , even if it's for one day .

I am very proud of my boy!

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10728 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I was able to watch Traitor and RockinRolla this week. Traitor was pretty decent, and RockinRolla wasn't so bad. But then I like the whole "British, fast talking, too hip to be scared when faced with death, bad guys are cool womanizers, one old guy who owns the underworld" type of movie!

Then I saw 6th Sense on TV and thought....my goodness that's a good movie! Too bad M Night Shamalama Ding Dong started out the gate with such a great movie. It's hard to follow that one up.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #10729 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 PM

Hey gang, I just picked up a used 1400. I loaded the last update dated 12/2008. I am using a Toshiba 1080p LCD. I just rented a blu-ray disc and attempted to set resolution at 1080p. I get the separate box asking yes or no on the change and notice it will revert back to the original setting in 15 seconds if no picture. I can't get it to stay on 1080p. I am using a cheap HDMI cable between 1400 and LCD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #10730 of 12884 Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

So, you can change it to 1080p, but it won't stick the next time you turn on the 1400 or it immediately goes back to 1080i or some other resolution besides 1080p?

oh btw, welcome to the Samsung 1400 discussion thread.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10731 of 12884 Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 AM

watched the electric mist last night, ok flick, had a view video hiccups during the movie. I am running the latest fw 2.0
post #10732 of 12884 Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome. When I switch to 1080p I get the sub dialog box asking if I want to make that change. When I click yes, the screen goes black and then goes to the blue Samsung page. I open the setup menu again and it is on 1080i. I am wondering why. The manual says if the display won't support a chosen resolution, the player will revert to a resolution it will handle. Of course this is making me wonder if my 1080p set does not actually support it. Evidently you have no problem with your 1400 making this resolution switch?
post #10733 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

None whatsoever, buddy. It's one of those things that you set and forget about it.

Are you sure you are selecting "Yes" when prompted to accept the resolution change? The default is "No". You have to press the left arrow key on the remote to manually change it from "No" to "Yes".

When I change the resolution on mine, the screen goes black first. Then the blue Samsung screen comes up and the prompts me to accept the new resolution, "No" (Default) or "Yes". After selecting "Yes", I will have to go back to the setup menu >>> Display to verify the change. I can change it to any resolution supported by my tv and it sticks.

Try changing to 480p and see if it will stick. Also try setting HDMI-CEC Anynet to "Off" and see if this makes any difference. Let us know buddy.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10734 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra30 View Post

watched the electric mist last night, ok flick, had a view video hiccups during the movie. I am running the latest fw 2.0

electric mist, is this The Mist part II?

Does it have more than one version on the disc, Unrated and Theatrical versions? If yes, then it could be the ol' chronic seamless branching problem the 1400 will highly likely to have...

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10735 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge01 View Post

Hey gang, I just picked up a used 1400. I loaded the last update dated 12/2008. I am using a Toshiba 1080p LCD. I just rented a blu-ray disc and attempted to set resolution at 1080p. I get the separate box asking yes or no on the change and notice it will revert back to the original setting in 15 seconds if no picture. I can't get it to stay on 1080p. I am using a cheap HDMI cable between 1400 and LCD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable yet? And which blu-ray did you use?
post #10736 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Anyone able to play Rachel Getting Married on the 1400? Got it from netflix, have the most recent firmware, and the thing refuses to load multiple times.
post #10737 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-KGB View Post

Anyone able to play Rachel Getting Married on the 1400? Got it from netflix, have the most recent firmware, and the thing refuses to load multiple times.

did u try cleaning the disc?
many times, it works for me (on my 1400).
post #10738 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Well I tried the other resolutions and it works fine. So I get our my manuals for my LCD. It is a two year old Toshiba. I see nothing about 1080p input, so I call. They confirm it only inputs 1080i signals but then up samples the pictures to 1080P. The TV does it, not the Blu-ray player. I am skeptical. Might be time for a new TV?
I am trying to watch Eagle Eye. Can you recommend a decent HDMI cable?
post #10739 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if the HDMI cable is a fault. If you want a new one just to be safe, than sorry , then click at the blue-jean or monoprice ad on top of this thread and let's get some shopping done .

What's the model # of your TV?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #10740 of 12884 Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM

I just ordered one from Blue Jeans. Like the name. The TV is a 42LX196
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page