Forum Jump: 

post #11161 of 12884 Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

Me, me, me... Took forever to get past the "load" screen and the stalled 0:04 sec into "track 1", this was a blank screen, never went to a menu.

I never even get to the 4 second mark. I didn't realize I was going to have to check here before every movie I buy to see if they will play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TANGER View Post

Anyone here having trouble with Underworld: Rise of the Lycans?
Am I going to have to borrow a friend's PS3?

I have the same problem (not being able to paly Rise of the Lycans) as many other p1400 users apparently. Mine just gets to a blank screen and will not advance. The reader is stuck on 00:00. I thought the BD camp had this incompatability issue worked out by now. Aarrhhgg! I miss HD DVD.

HD DVD - 86 titles and counting
BD - 24 titles and counting
post #11163 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

For those who are having issues with Underworld 3, has anyone contacted Samsung yet and let them know of the problem?

FW 2.1 is long overdue...

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #11164 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

Studio Paramount/Warner | Aspect Ratio 2.40:1 | Selected Audio Track English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (default)

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
Titanic meets The Notebook and a little bit of Forrest Gump, Atonement, Legends of the Fall, Forces of Nature, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Flags of Our Fathers, U571, Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events, and The Skeleton Key

WHAT'S THE MOVIE ABOUT?
An incredible tale of epic proportion, the life of Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt) is told through his journal. As Ben's life-long companion and wife Daisy is nearing her time, the journal is read by her daughter Colleen revealing a curious case of Ben initially was born "old" physically and grew younger as time passes.

BARNEY'S BOOMOO RATING FOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE
Overall Home Theater Experience
Movie Stupid So-So [Spectacular]
Video *
Audio **
Subtitle Legibility ***

AUDIO SOUNDSTAGE SUB-CATEGORY
Center Channel Dialog Clarity
Balanced Surround Sound Volume
Surround Sound Detail, Integrity, Resolution, and Definition
Surround Sound Dynamics (Bass, Treble, Separation, and Transition)
Ambient Background Music and Soundtrack
Low Frequency Effects

* 1080p/24fps OFF. Very Good PQ.
** Bitstream to Onkyo 805 | Reference Listening Volume : 48.0 db (abs)| Late Nite Mode: Off | Re-EQ: Off | 7.2 Surround Sound Setup
*** White text with thin black borders.

TECHNICAL
Video Problem: No
Audio Problem: No *
Load Problem: No
Total Loading Time: ? min ?? sec | PS3: 0 min 35 sec* | BD35: 1 min 16 sec
Skip Previews "Shortcut": NA
Resume Play: No
Main Menu or Popup Menu GUI Intensity Rating: Simple [Moderate] Complex
Dynamic Range Compression: Off
FW: 2.0 | PS3: 2.70 | BD35: 1.1

DISC FEATURES WORTH NOTING

Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option No.

Secondary Audio Yes, Director Commentary.

Bookmark

Disc #2 (BD) * The Criterion Collection Supplements. Several hours of the behind the scenes stuff.

* What's a "Criterion Collection"?

"The Criterion Collection is dedicated to gathering the greatest films around the world and publishing them in editions of the highest technical quality, with supplemental features that enhance the appreciation of the art of film. Visit us at criterion.com."

WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY?
Boomoo Rent-O-Meter:
Boomoo Collection Worthiness:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is an intriguing film for me. The cinematic storytelling style rivals such classics as Forrest Gump and Titanic. Everything from the script to the costume design to the special effects kinda all came together and it worked. Not to mention an incredible performance by Brad Pitt, which ironically is as poignant as Angela Jolie in Changeling. The running time is kinda long, but I think it is necessary to maintain the same mood throughout the story.

The AV presentation on BD is commendable. However (oh boy, here comes the "I hate you Barney replies now" ), I would disagree with most reviews "generously" giving a 5 paws reference material rating in the audio and video quality department. It was great but not reference material. Starting with PQ, I had to change the Black Level Control setting on the Panasonic BD35 from "Darker" (normal for me) back to "Lighter" (default) just to get the black crush out of the dark shadow and silhouette scenes. I know the manual says it supposed to be for other connection video types beside HDMI, but it changed the brightness and contrast/picture output for my HDMI connection to where I can actually enjoy the movie.

As a whole, PQ sharpness and contrast do not hold a candle to the reference material PQ found in my favorites like Atonement and Stardust (HD DVDs). When I think of reference material PQ for this kind of film, Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) comes to mind, especially in the close-ups department. This brings up a good point, picture quality with respect to style, yes I can agree with most by stating the film's style deserves to be in the same breath as the previously mentioned classics, Atonement, Stardust, and King Kong. But rating PQ alone, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is short of reference material IMHO.

Audio surprisingly had rock bottom LFE in some scenes. But biggest problem I have is with the center channel mix balancing with the rest of the 7 channels. Dialog from the CC can be thoroughly appreciated in HD clarity when volume is turned up (54db abs). But when in the loud explosion scenes and the bullets from the U-boat scene whistling across the fronts and surrounds, the volume has to be turned down a few notches (48db abs) to maintain peace with others in the house, especially your significant other who doesn't appreciate surround sound like you do. Also background music as filler, I wished it was more room filling. It is more to the fronts at not to the surrounds, as much as I would have like. Reference material AQ can be found in boomoos like Transformers, X-Men: The Last Stand, The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk, Max Payne, Hitman, and among others. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button comes close, but not quite reference material AQ IMHO.

Disregarding the media hype and the "reference material" reviews, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is actually a fantastic entertaining flick. I think in time, more and more people will accept it as a remarkable film, just like fine wine . I'm not really a big fan of "extras" to supplement the main feature release (cause that's another thing I have to report ), but after reading the mission statement of The Criterion Collection (see above DISC FEATURES WORTH NOTING section), I hope they continue their work which should benefit the fans and consumers in the long run. Benjamin Button is a great rental. It will also be likely to be in my collection in the near future.

LL

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11165 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

[font="Century Gothic"]THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is an intriguing film for me.

and you didn't like Patton... sheesh!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #11166 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

I never even get to the 4 second mark. I didn't realize I was going to have to check here before every movie I buy to see if they will play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post

I have the same problem (not being able to paly Rise of the Lycans) as many other p1400 users apparently. Mine just gets to a blank screen and will not advance. The reader is stuck on 00:00. I thought the BD camp had this incompatability issue worked out by now. Aarrhhgg! I miss HD DVD.

Please keep this quiet... I'm trying to ebay my 1400...

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #11167 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Please keep this quiet... I'm trying to ebay my 1400...

I may be there soon as well. I just ordered my BD-83
post #11168 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

I may be there soon as well. I just ordered my BD-83

Ahem... that's BDP-83... and congratulations.

Now that Barney is expanding his horizons beyond the realm of the AVS 1400 thread *cough*, maybe he'll come around to treating himself to the best Blu-ray experience possible with the BDP-83.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11169 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Although I have not seen BB yet, I am looking forward to the first viewing. I am also surprised at Barney's review though. Doesn't seem like the usual type of film Barney is partial to.[/shrug_shoulders]
Nice review once again Barney .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #11170 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Although I have not seen BB yet, I am looking forward to the first viewing. I am also surprised at Barney's review though. Doesn't seem like the usual type of film Barney is partial to.[/shrug_shoulders]
Nice review once again Barney .

Quote:

Now that Barney is expanding his horizons beyond the realm of the AVS 1400 thread *cough*, maybe he'll come around to treating himself to the best Blu-ray experience possible with the BDP-83.

On the contrary, quite the opposite. My baby is AAAALLLIVE ! Course I still had to load the movie with the disc inside, but it will play boomoos now.

For the get well present, I don't know if I should Planet of the Apes Boxset or something else?

Or just keep it rested up for montoring...

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11171 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I think a PS3 owner said that his PS3 loaded just a tad faster (forgot the movie). When I get the Oppo, I'll load up a movie in PS3/Oppo to see who's faster. I imagine PS3 will beat it out a bit. Hopefully, no more 60+sec of wait for loading up a movie. I expect video/audio will be about the same. I can't imagine Oppo blowing PS3/1400 out of the water in video/audio.

I'll let you guys know. I should get my Oppo today or Monday.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #11172 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

That borderline commie-like behavior, no?

Thanks,
Hansang
post #11173 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On the contrary, quite the opposite. My baby is AAAALLLIVE ! Course I still had to load the movie with the disc inside, but it will play boomoos now.

For the get well present, I don't know if I should Planet of the Apes Boxset or something else?

Or just keep it rested up for montoring...

...BUT how you will add bonusview content, secondary audio commentaries, online extra feature, ect... to your reviews with just a pidly ole POS-1400?

I got the PotA boxset too. I've only viewed the first movie thus far, and while it did look good, I don't think it looked much better than the sd version. DTS-HD/MA?... don't make me laugh. It still sounded like mono, so might as well play the mono track.
The movie is old, so it is what it is, and I still like it. However puting it on BR has not sprinkled any magic dust on it, that's for sure.
I was disappointed in the box it came in too. I didn't realize that there were not individual cases, and the discs are very hard to get back onto their spindles.
Having a player that can make the sd versions look about as good as the BR versions, I'll probably just sell this boxset and stick with the sd versions.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #11174 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
...and a little bit of Forrest Gump,

Great review as always Barney! I loved this movie...

Just a little bit of Forrest Gump Wow, the wife and I looked at each other near the end of the movie and said "this is very similar to Forrest Gump"
post #11175 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

That borderline commie-like behavior, no?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14295204

Ya know, I did mentioned the fact that...
Quote:
Somehow I felt very guilty and unpatriotic bout not liking this Fox movie, Patton. Dunno if it's the unmoving surrounds or .... Anyhoo, not really Barney's cup of tea and I find myself nodding off on several occassions and begging ... reaching for Pattons ivory guns and well, just put Barney out his misery a third of the way into the movie! ...

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11176 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Great review as always Barney! I loved this movie...

Just a little bit of Forrest Gump Wow, the wife and I looked at each other near the end of the movie and said "this is very similar to Forrest Gump"

Have you seen The Notebook? Exactly almost me thinks!

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11177 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What did you do?....or did the 1400 spontaneously fix itself.
post #11178 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen The Notebook? Exactly almost me thinks!

I have been able to keep that title out of the house.
post #11179 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

... and Smarty-pant's technical review of Planet of the Apes Boxset is ;

Quote:

...BUT how you will add bonusview content, secondary audio commentaries, online extra feature, ect... to your reviews with just a pidly ole POS-1400?

I got the PotA boxset too. I've only viewed the first movie thus far, and while it did look good, I don't think it looked much better than the sd version. DTS-HD/MA?... don't make me laugh. It still sounded like mono, so might as well play the mono track.
The movie is old, so it is what it is, and I still like it. However puting it on BR has not sprinkled any magic dust on it, that's for sure.
I was disappointed in the box it came in too. I didn't realize that there were not individual cases, and the discs are very hard to get back onto their spindles.
Having a player that can make the sd versions look about as good as the BR versions, I'll probably just sell this boxset and stick with the sd versions.

I think you just went all out ape-"snapped" on this classic. As a Blu-ray ambassador is this the right attitude to take ?

Well everybody has there own Patton huh?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11180 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No no, I like the movie. I REALLY like the movie. It's just that the Blu-ray didn't do anything for me that the sd-dvd can't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post

I think you just went all out ape-"snapped" on this classic. As a Blu-ray ambassador is this the right attitude to take ?

Well everybody has there own Patton huh?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #11181 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What did you do?....or did the 1400 spontaneously fix itself.

'member WALL·E exchanging his eyes for another pair?

I will probably take some pictures of the operation. The $6 Million Bionic Man... I mean the BD-P1400 lives .

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11182 of 12884 Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been able to keep that title out of the house.

A true "get out of the doghouse free card" in case you ever need one .

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11183 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Add me to list of those who can NOT play Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. I've already reported to Samsung this morning and they're working on a FW to fix the problem. I urge every 1400 owners to do the same, even if you haven't try to play Underworld 3.

Quote:

Important: If you've upgraded your player with the latest firmware and you're still experiencing playback issues, please contact our Customer Support Center 1-800-SAMSUNG (800-726-7864)...

They are gonna try to sway you in sending it for service. Don't do it! Simply tell them your BD player plays other BDs just fine, just this new Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is the only one having issues. And also tell them you're on the latest FW 2.0.

On a side note, I've downgraded to FW 1.7 and the farthest I got was the Sony logo screen at the 00:05 mark and it froze. Most of the time, it freezes right after the loading blue charm animation is finished at the 00:00 mark. Over an hour of frustration later and a lot of cursing and swearing , I gave up!

So watched it on the BD35 and it played like a champ. Not to rub salt into yaw wounds, but surround sound was awesome ! Look for the review coming soon.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11184 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

^^

Thanks Barney, I have been trying to rent this the last few days at my local BB store and the one lone copy of this title is always out. BTW, they have 5 copies for sale at 35 bucks.

Also, you might want to edit your first line from "CAN" to "CAN'T".
post #11185 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

5 words guys...
B D P 8 3

(I'm such an ass )

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #11186 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^

Thanks Barney, I have been trying to rent this the last few days at my local BB store and the one lone copy of this title is always out. BTW, they have 5 copies for sale at 35 bucks.

Also, you might want to edit your first line from "CAN" to "CAN'T".

thanks bud! My mind thinks faster than I can type .

btw, 17.99 if you're a Sony Reward member.

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11187 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

five words

that should read:

Blu-ray
Disk
Player
Eighty
Three

post #11188 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5 words guys...
B D P 8 3

(I'm such an ass )

yea, but the CD loader not closing properly BUG is scaring me from buying it !

Start the Smarty-Pants stopwatch now...

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
post #11189 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yea, but the CD loader not closing properly BUG is scaring me from buying it !

Start the Smarty-Pants stopwatch now...

Loader is already fixed on my unit

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #11190 of 12884 Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I know buddy. Wish I had one to test out and see what the big deal is ?

-
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page