Samsung BDP1400 Disussion Thread - Page 430 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12871 of 12884 Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 129
WOW...eek.gif This thread is still going and on the first page....brings back some great memories. smile.gif

I wonder where Barney DaPurple1 & Smarty-pants have run off to?...back in the format war this was such an entertaining thread. cool.gif

I am amazed that a new release like The Avengers plays on the 1400 without a FW update...how long did it take to load?
laugsbach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12872 of 12884 Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Xerowarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

WOW...eek.gif This thread is still going and on the first page....brings back some great memories. smile.gif
I wonder where Barney DaPurple1 & Smarty-pants have run off to?...back in the format war this was such an entertaining thread. cool.gif
I am amazed that a new release like The Avengers plays on the 1400 without a FW update...how long did it take to load?

2 minutes 30 seconds, to the main menu screen. Its a Disney disc so I am able to hit the menu button and skip the many previews.Its about a 90sec load to the Marvel intro then you press menu. Pretty darn good for a old 1400!
Xerowarp is offline  
post #12873 of 12884 Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hansangb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I had to guess, I'm thinking that the BR community finally got the bugs out of the spec. Hopefully, we're past the "will this play??" Russian Roulette!

Thanks,
Hansang
hansangb is offline  
post #12874 of 12884 Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Pretty darn good for a old 1400!

Indeed...smile.gif

I remember trying to load and wait for POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl on the 1400. eek.gif Thankfully, Disney allows skipping past the previews to the main menu...
laugsbach is offline  
post #12875 of 12884 Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
footb35602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the avengers bluray wont play on my 1400. it says disc cant be played. ive never really had a problem playing discs on here, i got the bluray through amazon, maybe i got a bad disc?
footb35602 is offline  
post #12876 of 12884 Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Xerowarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by footb35602 View Post

the avengers bluray wont play on my 1400. it says disc cant be played. ive never really had a problem playing discs on here, i got the bluray through amazon, maybe i got a bad disc?

Try doing a firmware update. Check the Samsung website. This is a common procedure for older BluRay players.
Xerowarp is offline  
post #12877 of 12884 Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Newbie
 
dclunie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a BD-P1400, and haven't used it for a while, and want to upgrade it to play Avatar.

 

On-screen version of firmware reported (that I last updated year's ago via CD) is 100422_01.

 

I have tried burning 111202_01 (current version from the Samsung website), and an older 101130_01 (that I had lying around from a previous upgrade attempt) to CD, and in both cases it says "this disc cannot be played" rather than going through the normal upgrade procedure.

 

I have tried burning the ISO image from the Samsung web site using Windows 7 Disk Image Burner as well as Mac Toast and the native Apple burner, with the same result, "this disc cannot be played". The media is Verbatim CD-R.

 

I plugged it into the Ethernet, and regardless of whether I let it find the network with DHCP or with manually configured network settings, when I try to upgrade it says "no need to upgrade, you have the latest firmware".

 

Factory reset (chapter forward on the panel for 5 seconds), does reset (request language selection) but does not change this failure to upgrade behavior.

 

Has anyone else encountered anything like this and/or have any suggestions?

 

David

dclunie is offline  
post #12878 of 12884 Old 11-29-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hansangb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclunie View Post

I have a BD-P1400, and haven't used it for a while, and want to upgrade it to play Avatar.

On-screen version of firmware reported (that I last updated year's ago via CD) is 100422_01.

I have tried burning 111202_01 (current version from the Samsung website), and an older 101130_01 (that I had lying around from a previous upgrade attempt) to CD, and in both cases it says "this disc cannot be played" rather than going through the normal upgrade procedure.

I have tried burning the ISO image from the Samsung web site using Windows 7 Disk Image Burner as well as Mac Toast and the native Apple burner, with the same result, "this disc cannot be played". The media is Verbatim CD-R.

I plugged it into the Ethernet, and regardless of whether I let it find the network with DHCP or with manually configured network settings, when I try to upgrade it says "no need to upgrade, you have the latest firmware".

Factory reset (chapter forward on the panel for 5 seconds), does reset (request language selection) but does not change this failure to upgrade behavior.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this and/or have any suggestions?

David


Have you tried IMGBURN? If you search this thread for it, you'll find multiple detailed examples on how to use IMGBURN to create the ISO. I'm not sure if it's the image (may be the same version, just different numbers?) or the software used to burn the CDs, but I know that IMGBURN never failed me. Worth a shot.

Thanks,
Hansang
hansangb is offline  
post #12879 of 12884 Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr.kludge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclunie View Post

I have a BD-P1400, and haven't used it for a while, and want to upgrade it to play Avatar.

On-screen version of firmware reported (that I last updated year's ago via CD) is 100422_01.

I have tried burning 111202_01 (current version from the Samsung website), and an older 101130_01 (that I had lying around from a previous upgrade attempt) to CD, and in both cases it says "this disc cannot be played" rather than going through the normal upgrade procedure.

I have tried burning the ISO image from the Samsung web site using Windows 7 Disk Image Burner as well as Mac Toast and the native Apple burner, with the same result, "this disc cannot be played". The media is Verbatim CD-R.

I plugged it into the Ethernet, and regardless of whether I let it find the network with DHCP or with manually configured network settings, when I try to upgrade it says "no need to upgrade, you have the latest firmware".

Factory reset (chapter forward on the panel for 5 seconds), does reset (request language selection) but does not change this failure to upgrade behavior.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this and/or have any suggestions?

David

Here are a couple things to try. First make sure that you can actually play a CD-R by burning one with music etc. or trying one you have made. You might also try a disc with pictures on it as I think the Sammy players can display jpgs that are on disc? Can you play regular CDs. I have seen the loaders in Samsung players loose their ability to play CDs but will still play DVD and/or BD (I haven't really tracked data vs. music playability failures). You will also want to try a CD-r/w. Many folks I know always use them so you are not wasting a disc just for a f/w update that soon becomes obsolete (we hope). I have ran into one loader for the BD-UP5000 that will not take a firmware update without it being a CD-r/w and I have also helped a couple folks over on that forum out with burned CD-r/ws since their players also for some odd reason don't like to update from CD-Rs. Verbatim is the best media out there (or used to be) and that is what I have traditionally always used however I have some really old stock Kodak CD-r/ws that the Samsung players seem to love. I also have a spindle of another brand of r/ws that I inherited from my dad, but I haven't tried them yet since the Kodak ones seem fine. I usually make a master backup disc of each firmware that comes out for preservation and roll back sake and the most resent update to the 5k several weeks ago I burned to a HP CD-R I had lying around and it seemed to work fine (haven't tried it in the finicky player yet).

Oh and to add to my long explanation I have always been able to successfully burn update discs for Samsung using either Mac Toast or Apple Disk Utility, however that has not been the case with Tosh HD-DVD players. My A35 will only work if I use Apple Disk Utility and I think an older Sony I had and gave to my daughter also worked with one but not the other. If I recall right it was Disk Utility that did not work on that one.

Another tip which I am sure you are aware of and are doing correctly is that you have to process and burn the image to disc and not just make a data disc with the image file on it. If the filename on your CD-R is the same as the one you downloaded (after the zip extraction) on disc as it is on your computer then you have burned a data disc and not actually burned an ISO image. A couple years ago Samsung was sending out firmware update discs for the 5K that were data discs with the file and not actual update CDs. I only bring this up since it seems every time we get an update for the 5K (once in a blue moon if we are lucky) it seems folks forget how to make them and run into the same problem. There is a very subtle difference in burning an ISO image and burning an ISO disc with data on it.
mr.kludge is offline  
post #12880 of 12884 Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got one of these for free. A couple of questions.

1. Does the latest firmware contain Cinavia? I see it was released after it was mandatory for new players.
2. Is there a place to download old firmware versions.
3. Is there a list of titles per firmware that playback was improved?
4. Will it bitsream all HD formats via HDMI?

I haven't physically received the player yet, so I'm not sure which version of firmware is on it. I'm assuming it is an old 1.x

Although these old players may be slow, they were built like tanks and will last forever. Case in point my old LG BH200 that is still running with no issues.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sivartk is online now  
post #12881 of 12884 Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
KingLeerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This is where you want to go: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-P1400/XAA for the latest firmware download.

Samsung does not maintain an archive of older firmwares, but you can sometimes find download links to them (search this thread) from fileshare sites.

The older Samsung players are by no means bulletproof. Both my 1400 and the 1600 that was the warranty replacement died in relatively short order. After that epic cluster I bought an Oppo BDP-93 and never looked back. Since you are getting the player for free you at least have that as a cushion against the impending frustrations you will be experiencing, but in my opinion any player from Samsung, and ESPECIALLY the older ones are simply a Pandora's Box full of aggravation and wasted life time. You will be better off (in both the short and long term) getting a newer player for $60 that has more update support from the manufacturer. As old as the 1400 is I doubt it will ever get another firmware update. The last one for it is dated from January 2012 so you are probably going to have disc compatibility issues no matter what.

My $0.02

KingLeerUK is offline  
post #12882 of 12884 Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

This is where you want to go: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-P1400/XAA for the latest firmware download.

Samsung does not maintain an archive of older firmwares, but you can sometimes find download links to them (search this thread) from fileshare sites.

The older Samsung players are by no means bulletproof. Both my 1400 and the 1600 that was the warranty replacement died in relatively short order. After that epic cluster I bought an Oppo BDP-93 and never looked back. Since you are getting the player for free you at least have that as a cushion against the impending frustrations you will be experiencing, but in my opinion any player from Samsung, and ESPECIALLY the older ones are simply a Pandora's Box full of aggravation and wasted life time. You will be better off (in both the short and long term) getting a newer player for $60 that has more update support from the manufacturer. As old as the 1400 is I doubt it will ever get another firmware update. The last one for it is dated from January 2012 so you are probably going to have disc compatibility issues no matter what.

My $0.02

May be true, but the new players won't play my backups. I like the backups because I can strip the "fluff" and don't have to worry about the original getting damaged. New players (built 2012 or after) have issues with backups. I will keep my eyes out for a good OPPO (as subtitle shift would be great for me with a scope screen), but the $100's that the used 93/95's are selling for is just a bit too scary for me. (I'll just start frequenting pawn shops...maybe they'll get an OPPO and not know and price it low biggrin.gif)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sivartk is online now  
post #12883 of 12884 Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
KingLeerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It is true that more modern Blu-ray players will have issues with backups (if the original content included Cinavia protection) but you don't necessarily need to go all out on an Oppo 93/95 to get around that particular issue.

If sub-title shifting and backup copy support of media are important to you I'd suggest looking into a mini-HTPC setup for the ultimate in configuration and media support.

I guess I'm a bit biased, but my experience with Samsung disc-based players has completely tarnished them as a manufacturer of those product lines for me. They make pretty good displays and some amazing phones and dishwashers but I think their disc-based hardware engineers must wear their pants on their heads and eat paste all day long. Quality is terrible, firmware support is god awful and dealing with the service division in NJ is an exercise in life-shortening frustration.

KingLeerUK is offline  
post #12884 of 12884 Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

It is true that more modern Blu-ray players will have issues with backups (if the original content included Cinavia protection) but you don't necessarily need to go all out on an Oppo 93/95 to get around that particular issue.

If sub-title shifting and backup copy support of media are important to you I'd suggest looking into a mini-HTPC setup for the ultimate in configuration and media support.

I have an HTPC in the theater room, but no blu-ray ROM and my tuner won't bitstream the HD Audio. That would just be more hardware to upgrade and I would then have a single point of failure.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sivartk is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off