AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanneVB View Post

Hey Enigma

Yes - you are right - it is unit shares. I was confused on that part since they kind of breeze through those slides in the press conferences. But according to NPD, BD standalones are now leading HD DVD standalones in units. And it's been that way in weekly sales spanning the last 9 weeks. Chris Fawcett, one of their VPs, confirmed it through a Sony publicist after I got back to LA.

But personally, I think its still up for grabs. Or there are a lot of question marks still with how big this Venturer $199 HD DVD player will be. Walmart gave me a statement that they have 'no plans' to sell it during the holidays...but Walmart spokespeople love these 'non-answers' And I take what they say with a grain of salt, so to speak

And yeah, I figured I should try to start posting here - since you guys are really tapped into this industry. It always learn something on this forum! And I am always looking for story ideas

Hello Susanne and welcome to the forum.

Here's an idea: this article and the reaction to it have shown that the enthusiast scene is eager to get definite sales information. For example, Home Media Magazine releases Nielsen VideoScan software sales percentages weekly, and is undoubtedly getting a lot of hits and attention (just see discussion thread here). Maybe you could run a similar section reporting on standalone sales percentages as given by NPD.

Why do the gamers get very specific hardware sales info from NPD (forget percentages - they get units sold) and we don't get anything?

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 186 Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Hello Susanne and welcome to the forum.

Here's an idea: this article and the reaction to it have shown that the enthusiast scene is eager to get definite sales information. For example, Home Media Magazine releases Nielsen VideoScan software sales percentages weekly, and is undoubtedly getting a lot of hits and attention (just see discussion thread here). Maybe you could run a similar section reporting on standalone sales percentages as given by NPD.

Why do the gamers get very specific hardware sales info from NPD (forget percentages - they get units sold) and we don't get anything?

Grubert always comes up with the best ideas. I am most interested in player sales ratios (numbers would be better).

At this point, we don't know if 100K or 500K have been sold.
post #183 of 186 Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

You are extrapolating from 1 months sales data. According to the Tosh rebuttal, NPD data shows that BD players outsold HD DVD for one month. Also, given that we are talking about the lowest priced BD player being released, one would expect the bounce for people who were waiting on buying a BD player....

So there was probably a month where HD DVD outsold BD by 70:30 and one month when the Sony was released where the ratio swung back to 60:40 in BD favor (or whatever). However, IF the Sony individual player sold more than any Tosh player - i.e. it was the #1 overall player, you can bet your last penny that Sony would have released a press releast about that. So, overall Tosh on any given month is still the #1 company in HD player sales on either side and the A2 is the number #1 selling player. There is no doubt about that....in aggregate we had one month where BD players (as admitted by Tosh and reported by NPD) sold more.

As for the overall ratios. Since the start of the year, we have HD DVD increasing their player sales ratio from 52% to 58% - so they picked up market share while BD was cutting player prices by 50% and had several aggressive promotions and victory announcements....

And what point are you trying to make with #3? Toshiba is the ONLY HDDVD CE at this point. The phantom Chinese HDDVD player would have a hard time beating Toshiba with non-existent hardware.

The fact is that this is marketing and you can spin things in any way you want. But the most important things to consider are:

1. That HD DVD has increased standalone share since the start of the year (52% v. 58%)

2. That all but one month HD DVD players have outsold BD players.

3. Tosh is still the #1 seller of HD players and they have the #1 selling model of either format...every single month.

So price matters. Simple as that!

Neo, I am responding in detail since I know you like to analyze stuff

Price matters? Yeah, logically it should but seems like Tosh/HD DVD has some serious marketing problems if a $299 player (and more like $215 now) is getting beat by a $499 player. Its mind boggling that Toshiba could actually be losing at ANY point this year since their standalone players are so much cheaper.

And this does even take into account the PS3. I'm sure ALOT of people such as myself have purchased the PS3 rather than a standalone BD palyer because of its mutlifunction capabilities.

Surprisingly with all the sales since Father's Day for HDDVD players they've actually lost market share in the following months. Now I guess we know why Blu-ray doesn't have to be in any hurry to roll of cheaper players if they can win at the $499 price point.
post #184 of 186 Old 09-08-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
It would be fair to count PS3s as long as he is also counting HD-DVD players used in conjunction with XBOX360 players.

But not nearly as meaningful as comparing total number of titles sold...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #185 of 186 Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Toahiba could have $99 players and BD will still outsell them in standalone units.

HD DVD is simply unknown. They have zero marketing. The public has to know something exists before they will clamour towards it.

And the fact that "the calvary" riding to the rescue for Blu-ray are the other "majors" among consumer electronics manufacturs is helping the Blu-ray cause mightily. I stopped by a Best Buy store earlier tonight and three different manufacturers each had a dedicated "end cap" at the main part of the store against a lone HD-DVD end cap that Toshiba had. And this Best Buy was showing Blu-ray some love in the choice of HDTVs that they were pairing them up with. And of course that store's Magnolia area was also predominantly Blu. I think that the last nine weeks with Blu-ray leading HD-DVD in "stand alone" sales will be just the beginning of a long period of sales dominance for stand alones. And this dominance in stand alone player sales will reinforce and increase the dominance of Blu-ray in software sales. And, yes, the continuing sales of Playstation 3s will also be a factor, albeit less of a factor than the stand alone player sales. This is the current hi-def video reality.
post #186 of 186 Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This could take into account the 5 million HD DVD laptops and 2 million Blu-ray laptops already sold to date?!

Then the figures may be correct, i.e:

Blu-ray stand-alone players + PS3s + laptops with Blu-ray playback = 60%

HD DVD stand-alone players + laptops with HD DVD playback = 30%

That makes 100% sense to me.

2008: BD+ hacked... payback time for Warner, Fox and Disney!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page