post #271 of 724 Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

First impressions.

Overall the player seems solid. The main problem I have encountered is the "Handshake" problem. My Monitor is capable of "Deep Color" support but I have to turn this feature off to get a stable audio/video signal. Hopefully, it will be addressed by a firmware update.

Would I recommend this player to others...not yet. The BD picture is no better than my $400 BD30. The BD30 is more stable with no "handshake" issues. The positives are upscaling of SD DVDs is superb, and the 7.1 analog out is excellent. So if you need those features it is a good buy. Maybe some other owners can chime in on their first impressions.

CD

I always had the handshake problem with the same Monster cable. After I got Vizion Ware HDMI cables the problem disappeared. You can check these cables out here: http://store.audioholics.com/search?...e+1650&x=0&y=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 724 Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 AM

i have sr8002 and tohsiba hd-dvd xa2, and when i select 1080p/24 on the toshiba , the sr8002 does a passthrough to my sharp aquos 94u with no issues
post #273 of 724 Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Anybody else out ther with the new Marantz?
post #274 of 724 Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM

Got one yesterday. Out of the box it needs a picture setting change otherwise you will think the black levels are off. For some reason item 12. Setup Level in the picture adjustment menu is set to 7.5 IRE, which according to the manual "makes the dark parts brighter". It should be set to 0 IRE, which "shows the original picture as recorded". Before I figured this out the blacks levels were horrible compared to my PS3. Now it looks great!
post #275 of 724 Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Dirtyburd, thanks! That suggestion really improved the blacks!

CD

Reality Based.
post #276 of 724 Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM

anyone can give us a feedback?????
post #277 of 724 Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Hello?

Any more feedback fellas? I would be most interested in your additional thoughts in regards to sound using analog out. I know you stated excellent but did you have a prior Blu-Ray player to compare to? How is CD playback? I have a separate CDP but I am really looking forward to comparing one of these two units to my Rega if I can ever get my hands on one...

I have the Denon 3800 on order since early May but it is supposed to be in next week (we shall see after two push-outs ).

I can cancel this order and switch over to the Marantz but I am not sure if there will really be a difference in sound quality as they are basically the same machine. If my order gets pushed out again, I am going to cancel anyway and see what is announced in Sept or look further into the Marantz.

Thanks-

Rick
post #278 of 724 Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

Hello?

Any more feedback fellas? I would be most interested in your additional thoughts in regards to sound using analog out. I know you stated excellent but did you have a prior Blu-Ray player to compare to? How is CD playback? I have a separate CDP but I am really looking forward to comparing one of these two units to my Rega if I can ever get my hands on one...

I have the Denon 3800 on order since early May but it is supposed to be in next week (we shall see after two push-outs ).

I can cancel this order and switch over to the Marantz but I am not sure if there will really be a difference in sound quality as they are basically the same machine. If my order gets pushed out again, I am going to cancel anyway and see what is announced in Sept or look further into the Marantz.

Thanks-

Rick

You are in the exact same boat as I am in. I too have had the Denon on order since May & my eta is July 9th. The Denon and the Marantz appear to be the same player. The Denon has AL24 audio processing which I don't beleive the Marantz player has. That feature as I understand would only be a benefit for the audio on Standard dvd and cd disc playback. Maybe that's why I have read on the Denon owner's forum rave reviews about cd playback. I too have a pretty good cd player (Arcam cd192) so that feature is not as important to me. I don't beleive it affects the advanced audio codecs of blu-ray but I am not really sure. As far as I can tell this is the only difference between the two blu-ray players.
Mike
post #279 of 724 Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Some good info.I currently have a Sammy BD5000 that beat my old Marantz 9600 in picture and sound.I would like to upgrade,but only interested in steller 2 channel sound to go along with BD/DVD/CD.
post #280 of 724 Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not using the BD8002 for CD playback. I use a Marantz DV7600 for its HDAM audio output circuits.

CD

Reality Based.
post #281 of 724 Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I just watched the Tom Petty "30th Aniv. Concert" that was part of the "Running Down a Dream" Documentary box set. The concert was shot in HD and down-converted for DVD. I almost thought I was watching BD...the "Realta" scaling and deinterlacing was stunning!

CD

Reality Based.
post #282 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 AM

but what about the rest true hd DD+ DTS HD Master audio does it perform well
post #283 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuj View Post

but what about the rest true hd DD+ DTS HD Master audio does it perform well

Perfectly!

Reality Based.
post #284 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 09:45 AM

Hey Cattledog, happy to hear that you are satisfied cause at the beginning of this thread , you were disappointed to HDMI issues and black levels and all.... so i guess that you figured every glitches to work fine, so on a note of 10 what do you rate this player and is there any weakness in this unit??? tanx for your feedback , still hesitating between a few models.
post #285 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

bigbuj,

I would rate it a 9 out of 10. All of the issues I had were resolved (see prevous posts). The only drawback is the cost...but it did replace my Panny BD30 and Denon 3930ci so the cost is really not that much of a difference and I now have one unit for BD/dvd playback. I also think the picture is better than the both the BD30 and 3930ci after I set the black level to 0.

CD

Reality Based.
post #286 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Tanx Cattledog , seems pretty good from your point of view. If i bitstream through HDMI to my Marantz SR8002, does it do all HD available Codecs (DD+, True HD, DTS-High Resolution and DTS Master Audio, i mean all 4 of them)???? i'm still hesitating between Denon and Marantz thanx in advance for your answers appreciate the feedback
post #287 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tanx Cattledog , seems pretty good from your point of view. If i bitstream through HDMI to my Marantz SR8002, does it do all HD available Codecs (DD+, True HD, DTS-High Resolution and DTS Master Audio, i mean all 4 of them)???? i'm still hesitating between Denon and Marantz thanx in advance for your answers appreciate the feedback

It appears from reading on the Denon owners forum that for some reason the Denon does not do DTS HD but yet it does the higher end DTS HD Master audio when using the analog outs for audio. I am not sure if that is the same with the Marantz player, maybe cd could shed some light on this or any one else who have been lucky enough to already have this player, The Denon player has a feature that appears to benefit cd disc playback called AL24 audio processing which the Marantz player doesn't have. Could any of the marantz player owners comment on the cd playback quality.
Thanks,
Mike
post #288 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bigbuj, I can confirm it bitstreams DD+, Dolby True-HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio.

I just loaded "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Juno" DTS-HD Master appeared on the SR8002's read-out.

CD

Reality Based.
post #289 of 724 Old 07-05-2008, 09:43 PM

hey tanx for your reply does it bitstream DTS High Resoluion AKA DTS-HD... cause with my toshiba HD-DVD XA2 it bitstreams all 4 DD+ TRue HD DTS-HD and DTS Master
post #290 of 724 Old 07-06-2008, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, It does bitstream DTS-HD Master. Not to nit-pick but aren't DTS Master and DTS-HD Master are the same thing? I can find nothing on the DTS website that refers to a separate codec called "DTS Master" only "DTS-HD Master" .

http://www.dts.com/Technology/At_A_Glance.aspx

CD

Reality Based.
post #291 of 724 Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 AM

No it's not the same, DTS-HD MA supports variable bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s on a Blu-ray Disc and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio for Blu-ray Disc with bit rates up to 6.0 Mbit/s.

Check page 3 and page 11 of this brochure
http://dts.com/DownloadDocument.aspx...d-ca7bc18bd8e3
as you can see there is two DTS-HD formats one is Master and the other one is High Resolution a bit like DD+ and True HD for Dolby

I have Resident Evil Apocalypse in HD-DVD and it's DTS-High Resolution, and on my Marantz sr8002 it says DTS High Resolution on the panel not Master, that is why i asked in previous post if the player(BD8002) was bitstreaming the DTS High Resolution????
post #292 of 724 Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think that it can. I don't have any discs with that to test.

CD

Reality Based.
post #293 of 724 Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM

Tanx for your good feedbacks CD!! I live in Montreal Canada and my rep said that there is only 14 units reaching Canada for the first batch imagine!!! Apparanmently the demand for this unit is extremely high wich Marantz didn't expect. My rep knows the Marantz Rep for Montreal and has luckily reserved one of those 14 units for me this upcoming week, so as soon as i have it i will give some feedback in this thread, have a good one and thanx again, enjoy your movies like they were intended to watch and listen, Bigbuj
post #294 of 724 Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone in the Bay Area gets one,Iwould like to come over and compare with my Sammy BD5000.Thanks.
post #295 of 724 Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey tanx for your reply does it bitstream DTS High Resoluion AKA DTS-HD... cause with my toshiba HD-DVD XA2 it bitstreams all 4 DD+ TRue HD DTS-HD and DTS Master

This says yes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672

Reality Based.
post #296 of 724 Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

This says yes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980672

That chart used to show that the Denon blu-ray player did all four of the advanced codecs originally but as people received the player it was discovered that it only streamed the DTS-HD HR and DD+ so the chart was revised. Since these two players appear to be identical I would not be suprised if it turns out to be the same with the Marantz player. This means you would not get those audio codecs using the analog connections. Anyway I beleive CD that you will be using HDMI for the audio so this won't be a concern for you. In actuality there are only a few blu-ray discs out there that are just DTS-HD without also being DTS-HD Master and I haven't seen any that are just DD+. Most blu-ray disc's that have the higher end audio are Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master or uncompressed LPCM. I will say that I have listened to Dolby True HD and Uncompressed LPCM audio and both are a considerable upgrade from just the core DD or DTS. I haven't had the plearure yet of hearing DTS HD Master audio but from what I have read It Is on par with DD True HD and LPCM uncompressed audio.
Thanks,
Mike
post #297 of 724 Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Actually, it appears that the 3800 does do DTS HR over LPCM. our friend Filmmixer has talked to Dts and apparently since it does Dts MA, it will do HR (despite what the manual implies).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #298 of 724 Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

How is the load time of the BD8002 compared with the Panny or other recent player?
post #299 of 724 Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Received my shipment this morning. After installing one in the demo room rack, I put it through its paces. I can confirm that it does do all of the audio codecs. Disc load time appears to be quicker than some other players particullarly with Java based discs, however I find menu navigation to be sluggish at best. Picture quality and audio quality is a bit improved over the Sony BDP-S1 it replaced. Have not yet tried any SD-DVDs.

Jeremy Hummer
Electronic Home Designers LLC

See my theater in the AVS gallery

Electronic House Article
post #300 of 724 Old 07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=jahummer;14239832]Received my shipment this morning. After installing one in the demo room rack, I put it through its paces. I can confirm that it does do all of the audio codecs. Disc load time appears to be quicker than some other players particullarly with Java based discs, however I find menu navigation to be sluggish at best. Picture quality and audio quality is a bit improved over the Sony BDP-S1 it replaced. Have not yet tried any SD-DVDs.[/QUOT

Jeremy will you be using the analog connections for audio? If you are I would be interested in what your thoughts are on the audio quality both for blu-ray and cd disc playback. Also the quality of the upscaling of sddvd's as compared to the Sony BDP-S1.
Thanks,
Mike
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Bd8002 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page