post #361 of 724 Old 07-13-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuj View Post

if i have HDMI to multi normal (bitstream) and i choose source direct to on , does this mean i just have speaker settings to do in my receiver???

Yes.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 724 Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I say post wherever. The two players are identical. Let's simply have a moderator merge them.

That would cause mass confusion... HFS!

Reality Based.
post #363 of 724 Old 07-13-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

It better be a big a enough difference to justify the price difference.

Realta, Superior analog playback .

Reality Based.
post #364 of 724 Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just curious, has anyone compared the 2 channel cd playback of the Marantz with any of the "audiophile" cd players? As good as it may be, after listening to DTS-MA and Dolby True HD for movies; it will be interesting to see how the 2 channel recordings sound if and when they are released in these formats also.
post #365 of 724 Old 07-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahummer View Post

Yeah, that does not sound right. With no disc in the transport, as long as you are using HDMI, have I/P set to on, it should be able to select 1080p24. Try turning deep color off, set HDMI format to MAX, make sure your connected display is set to 1080p24. When playing a blu ray disc, you should be able to see the resolution set to 1080p24 but if you are playing a SD-DVD, it will not be in 1080p24.

Sorry it's taken awhile to get back to you. I've been offline for a couple of days. But I do have some interesting news for you regarding the HDMI output on the player.

To confirm my setup options:
I/P direct is ON
Deep Color is ON
HDMI format is MAX
My Pioneer plasma is in PURE mode and set to Pure Cinema ADV (thanks for asking EWL5)

I tried turing on and off several of these and other options, including the Deep Color, but I was still not able to get the 1080p24 option to be selectable. Then I read in the manual about the HDMI buttion on the front panel of the player. I pressed it once and it showed "1080p". I hit it again, and voila, it now showed "1080p24". I confirmed that it was set to that by going into the setup menu, and 1080p24 was shown as selected and no longer grayed out. I also was able to use the "Display" button on the remote to verify that I was using 1080p24.

So, I'm getting 1080p24 with BD, but when I put in an SD DVD, I'm getting just 1080p. I just confirmed with Marantz technical support that that's the way it's supposed to work. You only get 1080p with standard def dvd, so you are quite correct on that score, Jeremy.

As a final note, it's somewhat ironic that I might actually prefer keeping the player in 1080p mode. Camera pans in a couple of movie scenes I watched the other day might actually have been a little smoother in 1080p rather than in 1080p24. The difference was slight in any event.

All in all, this is a great blu-ray player. The picture and sound are both fantastic. The only real glitch I've had so far is with a BD of "Across the Universe" that I got from Netflix. About a third of the way through the player froze. I couldn't even skip past it to the next chapter. Well, I love the movie anyway, so I went out and bought it and am able to see the whole film now without any problem. It must have been a scratch on the Netflix copy causing the lockup.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on how to resolve my problem.

Ken
post #366 of 724 Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I am baffled why anyone wants 1080P24 from 480i... Makes no sense.. Perahaps, Marantz / Denon know this and won't allow the machine to do so.. And yes, it would be smoother (DVD) with 1080P60.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #367 of 724 Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I am baffled why anyone wants 1080P24 from 480i... Makes no sense.. Perahaps, Marantz / Denon know this and won't allow the machine to do so.. And yes, it would be smoother (DVD) with 1080P60.

The comparison I was making was strictly with a BD. Using the Pure Cinema Advance film mode in the Pioneer PRO-150 is supposed to make the images on camera pans, etc. a little smoother by outputting it at 72Hz. I didn't really find that to be the case, but I'm still researching it.

Now with DVD some players can also deinterlace and scale the output to 1080p24. My Arcam dvd player (DV-139) does this. Supposedly the advantage to this would be to do all the scaling and deinterlacing in the player if that's better than what your display can do. Also, providing my Pioneer display with a 1080p24 signal will allow the display to take that and output it as 72Hz, which theoretically should result in a smoother image, which in practice may or may not be the case. Anyway, it's certainly possible that you can get 1080p24 with standard def dvd players, and it's possible that some displays may derive some benefit from that. Why Marantz chose not to implement this is a good question. I guess they didn't see any advantage in doing so.
post #368 of 724 Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilson View Post

The comparison I was making was strictly with a BD. Using the Pure Cinema Advance film mode in the Pioneer PRO-150 is supposed to make the images on camera pans, etc. a little smoother by outputting it at 72Hz. I didn't really find that to be the case, but I'm still researching it.

Now with DVD some players can also deinterlace and scale the output to 1080p24. My Arcam dvd player (DV-139) does this. Supposedly the advantage to this would be to do all the scaling and deinterlacing in the player if that's better than what your display can do. Also, providing my Pioneer display with a 1080p24 signal will allow the display to take that and output it as 72Hz, which theoretically should result in a smoother image, which in practice may or may not be the case. Anyway, it's certainly possible that you can get 1080p24 with standard def dvd players, and it's possible that some displays may derive some benefit from that. Why Marantz chose not to implement this is a good question. I guess they didn't see any advantage in doing so.

Or maybe they didn't want people calling and asking why the DVD movie is buttery smooth during playback and the main menus are an unwatchable mess under 1080p/24. I think XA2 owners know what I'm talking about...

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #369 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had a Marantz Dv 9600(great build quality) and now Samsung BD5000.I am trying to justify buying the 8200 now,but can't at this moment compared to my Sammy.
post #370 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm picking up the 8002 tomorrow to use with my AV8003 and Pioneer Pro-150FD. I'm wondering if I should run the second HDMI out from the processor to the tv to have two different profiles set in the 150fd. I'm fairly sure the BD8002 will have better video processing than both the AV8003 and the 150fd(?). My other video sources are a DirecTV HR21, PS3 and XBOX 360.
post #371 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I had a Marantz Dv 9600(great build quality) and now Samsung BD5000.I am trying to justify buying the 8200 now,but can't at this moment compared to my Sammy.

I had the Marantz Dv9600 and traded it in for the 8200.
The upconversion on regular DVD is quite a bit better than the 9600. Good, if you have a large collection on DVD's.

This is my first blu-ray player, so i cannot compare it to any other player, but I really like the blu-ray video and HD audio.

I am using the HDMI connection into the Integra 9.8 (set as passthru), for video and sound. So far I am finding the HDMI handshake very well behaved, with just one abnomaly. When I play a CD, I have to turn on my TV, or there is no sound.
post #372 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd let the 8002 pass through the 8003, and use the second HDMI output for any source you want to be processed. Set one HDMI to "through" and the other one to your display's resolution. Then just switch HDMI outputs and the corresponding input on the display based on the source component being used. I think the 8002 would pack better PQ than the 8003, but I haven't checked it myself.

I adjusted my 8002 video settings last night, mostly for black level. I am simply passing it through the 8003 to my 720P projector on a 9' screen. I haven’t tried letting the 8003 process, but like I said, I suspect the 8002 would be better with its more advanced chip. Jeeze, for the price of the 8002, it should!

I will say that the video quality is simply stunning on anything I threw at it, even SD DVD. It never locked up or had any problems with any disc I've tried so far. I only have three BR titles, so most of my "testing" has been done with SD DVD. I wanted to make sure I wasn't sacrificing anything there since I have a good collection of SD titles, and personal videos. It's a little slower loading than the 5910, but not bad by any means IMO.

FWIW, I wanted one video source component and wasn't sure this was going to cut it on SD-DVD. It does with no problem. I used to have an SDI player with a DVDO iScan. I now have a 5910Ci to compare to. The 8002 is pretty close if not better for PQ. I haven't messed with to many other features. It did pass 5.1 Dolby True HD and 7.1 DTS HD MA last night with no problems too.

I would comment that it seems to get a bit better with some time on it. For example - right out of the box I could notice some vertical scan lines on Amidala's (SP?) face in Star Wars Episode 1, Chapter 10, when she's looking out the window. Now, I can't see them. Maybe I've unwittingly adjusted them out somehow. Also, there used to be some flickering in the window above her in that same scene – it’s nice and smooth now.

It's a keeper for certain!

Dave
post #373 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7 View Post

I'd let the 8002 pass through the 8003, and use the second HDMI output for any source you want to be processed. Set one HDMI to "through" and the other one to your display's resolution. Then just switch HDMI outputs and the corresponding input on the display based on the source component being used. I think the 8002 would pack better PQ than the 8003, but I haven't checked it myself.

I adjusted my 8002 video settings last night, mostly for black level. I am simply passing it through the 8003 to my 720P projector on a 9' screen. I haven't tried letting the 8003 process, but like I said, I suspect the 8002 would be better with its more advanced chip. Jeeze, for the price of the 8002, it should!

I will say that the video quality is simply stunning on anything I threw at it, even SD DVD. It never locked up or had any problems with any disc I've tried so far. I only have three BR titles, so most of my "testing" has been done with SD DVD. I wanted to make sure I wasn't sacrificing anything there since I have a good collection of SD titles, and personal videos. It's a little slower loading than the 5910, but not bad by any means IMO.

FWIW, I wanted one video source component and wasn't sure this was going to cut it on SD-DVD. It does with no problem. I used to have an SDI player with a DVDO iScan. I now have a 5910Ci to compare to. The 8002 is pretty close if not better for PQ. I haven't messed with to many other features. It did pass 5.1 Dolby True HD and 7.1 DTS HD MA last night with no problems too.

I would comment that it seems to get a bit better with some time on it. For example - right out of the box I could notice some vertical scan lines on Amidala's (SP?) face in Star Wars Episode 1, Chapter 10, when she's looking out the window. Now, I can't see them. Maybe I've unwittingly adjusted them out somehow. Also, there used to be some flickering in the window above her in that same scene - it's nice and smooth now.

It's a keeper for certain!

dave7, since you are a fellow 720p user, I'd be interested in knowing whether you have problems outputting the 720p-specific test patterns from DVE: HD Basics. If you don't have the disc, I highly recommend it for calibrating purposes.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #374 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think that's the one I have. I'll look into it.

I do have an ABT disk. I'll check that out to see what's on it.

I'd much rather watch a movie...that's why it takes so long for me to get this stuff done.

Dave
post #375 of 724 Old 07-16-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I, too, had the Samsung BD5000 for awhile, but I returned it before my 30 day trial period was up because I was unhappy with the audio limitations (no Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA were being decoded or output through the analog outputs as I recall). That was back in January, and as I haven't been following the dual format player threads as of late, I have no idea whether those shortcomings have been addressed by recent firmware updates. If they have, then I think you'll be very happy with the Samsung. The video quality is outstanding; the differences between it and the Marantz are slight, with the edge going to the Marantz, but not enough to make one run out and replace the BD5000 with the 8002. If you're happy with the audio on the Sammy, I can see why you can't justify the switch to the Marantz. But if you've got a sizable chunk of change burning a hole in your pocket, you can't go wrong with the Marantz 8002 either.

Ken
post #376 of 724 Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM

If I'm using my Pronto 9400 to input direct commands on the back of my AV8003, can I just come out of the 8003 into the BD8002 to control it using the pronto? In other words, will the 8003 pass the commands through? If I use another direct connection from the 9400 to the BD8002 I'll lose the ability to control one component. I can stick an emitter on the front of the player, but I'd obviously rather not do that.
post #377 of 724 Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post

If I'm using my Pronto 9400 to input direct commands on the back of my AV8003, can I just come out of the 8003 into the BD8002 to control it using the pronto? In other words, will the 8003 pass the commands through? If I use another direct connection from the 9400 to the BD8002 I'll lose the ability to control one component. I can stick an emitter on the front of the player, but I'd obviously rather not do that.

I run a 1/8" mono jumper from the 8003 "emitter out" to my 8002 "IR In" jack, and it all works perfectly. I do also have IR floods, so I am not sure if that's how the 8002 is getting operated because of its location in the rack. I don't think the Floods are doing it though.

Essentially, I think the 8003 can be used as a repeater system to some extent.

Dave
post #378 of 724 Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

It has been pointed out to me in the BR Player audio chart thread that the decoding set on the BR8002 is not as complete as I thought. It appears that when outputting LPCM, DTS HD HR material will be outputted as plain DTS, and possibly DD+ material outputted as DD.

This is the same issue the Denon DVD-3800 has.

I am away and cannot confirm this, but if true, can anyone elaborate as to whether or not this is fixable via a firmware update?

Dave
post #379 of 724 Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7 View Post

It has been pointed out to me in the BR Player audio chart thread that the decoding set on the BR8002 is not as complete as I thought. It appears that when outputting LPCM, DTS HD HR material will be outputted as plain DTS, and possibly DD+ material outputted as DD.

This is the same issue the Denon DVD-3800 has.

I am away and cannot confirm this, but if true, can anyone elaborate as to whether or not this is fixable via a firmware update?

This is likely an error in the manual. As Filmmixer pointed out (through his contacts at DTS), if a player can do DTS MA, it will do DTS HR as well. So, the Denon and the Marantz are doing it (according to DTS / Filmmixer).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #380 of 724 Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What do you all think?

Whose the winner here. Inter-corporate competition?

Basically same price, feature set.

What would you buy?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #381 of 724 Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Marantz... Longer warranty.

post #382 of 724 Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM

I bought the Marantz, but I have an AV8003 - I figured it would pair up flawlessly.
post #383 of 724 Old 07-20-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is likely an error in the manual. As Filmmixer pointed out (through his contacts at DTS), if a player can do DTS MA, it will do DTS HR as well. So, the Denon and the Marantz are doing it (according to DTS / Filmmixer).

Jeff,

I'm too lazy these days to go through the whole 3800 thread researching this. EWL5 was quite confident with this observation so it is now up to me to prove to myself (and others) otherwise. I'll try to get a title or two and try it out for myself. I hope you're right.

Dave

Dave
post #384 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try Queen:Live in Montreal.. Fantastic! It is the only DTS HR disc I own.

Don't know how to objectively prove it, though... The player only shows 'DTS' when playing such.

post #385 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Don't know how to objectively prove it, though... The player only shows 'DTS' when playing such.

Does your player output the HR track from Queen as 96kHz PCM to your SSP? If it's sent as 48kHz, then you're likely getting the core. It is either that or the player is down-sampling and must be addressed if proper implementation is important to you.
post #386 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Does your player output the HR track from Queen as 96kHz PCM to your SSP? If it's sent as 48kHz, then you're likely getting the core. It is either that or the player is down-sampling and must be addressed if proper implementation is important to you.

Jeff, my post to you in the 3800 owner's thread to test the DTS-HD HR decoding is not quite as simple as MSmith83's suggestion. Since you own the Queen disc and also running LPCM via HDMI (I am on analog), see if you do get the 96kHz to display. If not, then it is not decoding DTS-HD HR.

Looking forward to your result.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #387 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where will it display? 3800 front panel display or on the projection screen?

Thanks!

post #388 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

It should display on your AVR or PrePro. If you are used to seeing "PCM" or "PCM 48", it should now show "PCM 96" if DTS-HD HR is being decoded. If you own the Dave Matthews BD, you can play that first as a "control" so that you know how a track with 96kHz (in this case, Dolby TrueHD) should look on your AVR/PrePro.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #389 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Thanks!

As EWL5 mentioned, the input sampling rate should be indicated somewhere on your pre/pro. My Denon 4306, for instance, briefly displays the sampling rate and number of channels whenever a signal greater than 48kHz is being input. I can also verify it by viewing the AVR's OSD. Your pre/pro should have a similar OSD option that indicates the specifics of the signal type, but it's possible that it doesn't do this.

Although I hardly consider internal DTS-HD HR decoding to be important, it may be worthwhile to request Marantz and Denon to include it in their players if such decoding is currently not supported. Audio quality is a big attraction for these players and they have powerful DSP sections, so complete advanced decoding shouldn't be too much to ask for.
post #390 of 724 Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Audio quality is a big attraction for these players and they have powerful DSP sections, so complete advanced decoding shouldn't be too much to ask for.

You would think so...especially at $2K MSRP!

The Denon model unfortunately ends in "CI", which means future upgrades are possible but at cost to the end user. I wouldn't be surprised if Denon asked $50-$100 in order to add DTS-HD HR decoding.

Does Marantz have a history of charging for upgrades too?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Bd8002 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page