AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDTS View Post

Hello,

I was just wondering, should there really be any difference in picture q. on my Pioneer 5090 50" between the 8002 and for example the Onkyo 606 ?
I have no idea wich one to buy.Is it worth the extra money ?( for me 1400 )

I would appreciate some advise.

I think you've wandered into the wrong thread. This thread concerns the 8002 BD player and not the receiver. You may want to look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=901489

FYI, I think the 8003 may be the latest version and not the 8002.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 724 Old 12-14-2008, 05:18 AM

No, sorry I wasn't specific enough.
I mean the Marantz BD8002 BluRay player.

This in comparison with for example the Onkyo BD606, Pioneer LX-71 etc.

No reciever question but only BluRay.

Thanks

Rick

It's nice to be important but
it's more important to be nice !
post #543 of 724 Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDTS View Post

No, sorry I wasn't specific enough.
I mean the Marantz BD8002 BluRay player.

This in comparison with for example the Onkyo BD606, Pioneer LX-71 etc.

No reciever question but only BluRay.

Thanks

Rick

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, there's not much info on the Onkyo 606 BD player. My research tells me it's most likely a Panasonic BD30 rebadge using the older UniPhier chip (not like the one in the BD35/BD55 since this Onkyo cannot decode MA). This would put the Onkyo player more in line with the Denon 2500, another BD30 rebadge with improvements.

You will definitely see a difference on SD DVD b/w the 8002 vs the Onkyo 606 (not so much with BD). This is made possible by the Realta chip. Both the BD30 and the Denon 2500 are known to underperform with DVD since they are lacking any onboard post processor like the Realta. Hope this helps.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #544 of 724 Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahummer View Post

Nope.

Yes, there is... there are 2 FW updates so far contact Marantz
post #545 of 724 Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahummer View Post

So, can someone with an 8002 tell me if they have had any playback issues with these titles or any others? Thank you.

i had Hellboy and Wanted freeze up on me
post #546 of 724 Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuj View Post

i just bought today Wanted blu-ray and my player bd8002 froze the movie at about 1h so in the middle i would presume had to shut down the player reboot and then at the same chapter it played fine so i said to myself ah!! just bad luck i guess, then it froze again at the end of the movie at the beginning of the credits there again had to reboot machine , then i came here to see what other owners had to say about this issue and suprisingly i'm not the only one and it seems to be at random movies and different time and chapters , hulk wanted crystal skull, i don't think it's the movies the problem but more like some sort of a flaw in the player that needs immediate attention by Marantz to make a firmware upgrade for this dam expensive unit , this is very disappointing for a consumer to spend 2k and have to experience these issues. I encourage everybody in this thread to send e-mail to Marantz on their website to tech support or customer service to explain the situation. What do you think guys??? are these blu-ray like Hulk crystal skull have the same behaviors of freezing other players like that (like another brand samsung sony etc...)????

Marantz says its the movies not the player, which i tend to believe...
post #547 of 724 Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp34 View Post

Marantz says its the movies not the player, which i tend to believe...

what are the 2 firmware revisions you are referring to??? how do i know wich revision my player has?? and for the movie Wanted what can we do???
post #548 of 724 Old 12-15-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, there's not much info on the Onkyo 606 BD player. My research tells me it's most likely a Panasonic BD30 rebadge using the older UniPhier chip (not like the one in the BD35/BD55 since this Onkyo cannot decode MA). This would put the Onkyo player more in line with the Denon 2500, another BD30 rebadge with improvements.

You will definitely see a difference on SD DVD b/w the 8002 vs the Onkyo 606 (not so much with BD). This is made possible by the Realta chip. Both the BD30 and the Denon 2500 are known to underperform with DVD since they are lacking any onboard post processor like the Realta. Hope this helps.

Thanks, this sure helps.

It's nice to be important but
it's more important to be nice !
post #549 of 724 Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, there is... there are 2 FW updates so far contact Marantz

Can you please give more detail on these updates, like dates of issue, version numbers, and method of update since some folks have said the player will need to be sent back to Marantz for any update?

What the actual updates do would be nice too.

Do you say two because of Denon? Perhaps not relevant here...

Dave
post #550 of 724 Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7 View Post

Can you please give more detail on these updates, like dates of issue, version numbers, and method of update since some folks have said the player will need to be sent back to Marantz for any update?

What the actual updates do would be nice too.

Do you say two because of Denon? Perhaps not relevant here...

When i talked to the tech rep from Marantz by e-mail , he mentionned to me that there was not gonna be dvd update and to bring the unit at service center wich i find pathetic for a blu-ray player!!! but me too want to know about the firmware revisions and how to find out wich version do i have in my unit
post #551 of 724 Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM

( Just turn on the unit, hit 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 and then "display" and the information comes up on the tv screen )

I called Marantz Canada and spoke to a service tech and he told me 2 FW where released so far, and they may not affect DVD playback but if your unit is acting up it might be worth a try... You can only do a FW upgrade by taking the unit to them
post #552 of 724 Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

( Just turn on the unit, hit 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 and then "display" and the information comes up on the tv screen )

I called Marantz Canada and spoke to a service tech and he told me 2 FW where released so far, and they may not affect DVD playback but if your unit is acting up it might be worth a try... You can only do a FW upgrade by taking the unit to them

This is one advantage Denon owners have in being able to upgrade firmware on their own. I guess Marantz keeps the dealers in business by making customers dependent on them. Not a good model for BD players that need constant firmware updates by design.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #553 of 724 Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 PM
rto
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is one advantage Denon owners have in being able to upgrade firmware on their own. I guess Marantz keeps the dealers in business by making customers dependent on them. Not a good model for BD players that need constant firmware updates by design.

True, but we have three years on the laser assembly and anything else that might happen to go wrong......of course, that could also be related to the fact that dealers are responsible if a firmware update bricks our player. Anyway, I just finished setting up mine this evening ( manufacture date of November ) and my initial impressions are very positive....very handsome, agreeably responsive unit with stellar up-conversion and lots of tweaking options.......including full BM through the analog outs, amazingly enough.
post #554 of 724 Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:

i hit 1234and display on the remote and i have nothing on the tv screen....
any suggestion?
post #555 of 724 Old 12-17-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuj View Post

i hit 1234and display on the remote and i have nothing on the tv screen....
any suggestion?

You have to do it pretty fast or it won't work! No more than 2-3 sec tops!

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #556 of 724 Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:

You have to do it pretty fast or it won't work! No more than 2-3 sec tops!

Ok i have firmware 1.103 thanx again for the info, now i have contacted Marantz a few times via e-mail about issue of movie "Wanted" to hang the player , i've watched it 6 times and it hanged the 6 times at random chapters and time, never at the same place....

He mentionned to me that they had that issue with Hulk movie and they reported the problem to Japan and waiting for a solution for a firmware update.

he did not test "Wanted" at the time he responded me throught e-mail but he said that he will keep me up to date on the situation.

another thing he told me is that there are NO DVD UPDATES!!! but only bring the unit at service center for firmware updates.

i encourage everyone to join me to keep on calling , e-mailing them like me until they give us a solution on this matter, i've paid a lot of money for this unit and i expect to perform like an Elite Player!!!!!

he told me that he tested Crystal Skull and played the movie twice without hangs , his revision of the firmware was 1.106
post #557 of 724 Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Dear Friends,

I excuse to use this place, but I would like to make a question:
Is the Marantz BD8002 a HI-END?
That is, once I listen a CD throught this equipment, I will listen in HI-END?

Thank you,
Carlos
post #558 of 724 Old 12-23-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had my BD8002 hang on "28 Days Later". Anyone else?

Reality Based.
post #559 of 724 Old 12-26-2008, 03:39 PM

Hey guys,

I'm contemplating the 8002 to replace my DV9600. I have an Arcam AV8 pre/pro, which has no HDMI, so I'd have to output the Marantz in analog (5.1 in my system). Video would go directly to the display via HDMI. Does the Marantz cover all the bases as far as internal decoding and outputting in analog, and would I have any handshake issues with the AV8 (potential LFE bug, etc)? Thanks in advance.
post #560 of 724 Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Sorry in advance for the bump.
post #561 of 724 Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hello, I just found this thread.

The 8002 is on my list of potential players, along with Denon's 1800 and 3800, Pioneer's 05, and others. My question is this: how does the 8002 do as a CD player? Or is no one paying attention to that since the video is probably awesome? My setup is 2-channel, by the way.

I'll go back to previous posts for further research, but any input on the CD sound is appreciated, as well as improvements over the 7003. Thanks.
post #562 of 724 Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello, I just found this thread.

The 8002 is on my list of potential players, along with Denon's 1800 and 3800, Pioneer's 05, and others. My question is this: how does the 8002 do as a CD player? Or is no one paying attention to that since the video is probably awesome? My setup is 2-channel, by the way.

I'll go back to previous posts for further research, but any input on the CD sound is appreciated, as well as improvements over the 7003. Thanks.

Well, i would have to say it didn't sound as good as my Proceed CD transport PDT2 + matching D/A...
post #563 of 724 Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM

I`am not sure about Marantz U.S. but Marantz Canada SUCKS for C/S they hardly ever answer the ph. and they have never returned any of my calls !

Still trying to sort out this FW update thing, the last guy i spoke too before he sent me to someone else who never answered the ph. and didnt return my call. Said that they might be able to talk me through the FW update instead of sending it in ???
post #564 of 724 Old 01-03-2009, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Said that they might be able to talk me through the FW update instead of sending it in ???

That is strange since you would have to download the file from somewhere and that somewhere does not exist...yet.

CD

Reality Based.
post #565 of 724 Old 01-03-2009, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, i would have to say it didn't sound as good as my Proceed CD transport PDT2 + matching D/A...

My question is whether to get a good upscaling DVD player (with good CD sound, natch) and a modest Blu-ray player, or an über-player like the 8002 and either have it do everything or get a standalone CD, or wait for Blu-ray to mature some more. The sense I'm getting is that the kinks aren't out of BD yet. I'd likely avoid some of the issues being reported by virtue of my setup, but I don't think this should be a hasty decision.
post #566 of 724 Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My question is whether to get a good upscaling DVD player (with good CD sound, natch) and a modest Blu-ray player, or an über-player like the 8002 and either have it do everything or get a standalone CD, or wait for Blu-ray to mature some more. The sense I'm getting is that the kinks aren't out of BD yet. I'd likely avoid some of the issues being reported by virtue of my setup, but I don't think this should be a hasty decision.

I bought my BD8002 last Aug. But if I was buying today I would wait on the new Oppo Universal player which should be out by the end of the month. The Oppo will be firmware upgradable by the user while the Marantz needs to be sent to a service center. Plus the Oppo is $599 vs the Marantz at $1999 MSRP.

CD

Reality Based.
post #567 of 724 Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have to agree. I would never spend big $ on a BD player given the non-existent coordination between the software authors and hardware manufacturers, or vice versa. If, for some reason, I just had to have an uber expensive player, I wouldn't consider one that wasn't user upgradeable.
post #568 of 724 Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

I have to agree. I would never spend big $ on a BD player given the non-existent coordination between the software authors and hardware manufacturers, or vice versa. If, for some reason, I just had to have an uber expensive player, I wouldn't consider one that wasn't user upgradeable.

There are three factors driving my decision: budget, as you cite; rack/connection space (I have only one open input on my preamp and a height limitation in the main rack); and CD playback. There are several low-cost BD players out there, and some upscaling DVDs that sound good (Denon, NAD, Oppo to name some). Since CD playback is important to me, that decision may drive the video choice.

As for über-players, the 8002 player has a three-year warranty, an advantage over the one year Denon offers. I have reason to believe the 8002 sounds good. But I know the Denon 3800 sounds great. Sony's latest ES player has a five-year warranty, but I've no clue on its sound.

On second thought, maybe I should do this based mainly on budget. The other factors become confusing after awhile.
post #569 of 724 Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

There are three factors driving my decision: budget, as you cite; rack/connection space (I have only one open input on my preamp and a height limitation in the main rack); and CD playback. There are several low-cost BD players out there, and some upscaling DVDs that sound good (Denon, NAD, Oppo to name some). Since CD playback is important to me, that decision may drive the video choice.

As for über-players, the 8002 player has a three-year warranty, an advantage over the one year Denon offers. I have reason to believe the 8002 sounds good. But I know the Denon 3800 sounds great. Sony's latest ES player has a five-year warranty, but I've no clue on its sound.

On second thought, maybe I should do this based mainly on budget. The other factors become confusing after awhile.

you could get the marantz 2 ch cd/sacd player (msrp 1k) and the oppo bd player and still be under the cost of the marantz blu ray. sony also just came out with a new cd/sacd player wih balanced outs for about 1500 msrp--could get that and a panny 35/sony 350 for under 1999 marantz msrp as well. cant solve the space issue though. very nice prepro btw. I am personally waiting to see what happens with the denon uber universal. I wish there were a beta test for that one like the oppo--id be first on that list!
post #570 of 724 Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

you could get the marantz 2 ch cd/sacd player (msrp 1k) and the oppo bd player and still be under the cost of the marantz blu ray. sony also just came out with a new cd/sacd player wih balanced outs for about 1500 msrp--could get that and a panny 35/sony 350 for under 1999 marantz msrp as well. cant solve the space issue though. very nice prepro btw. I am personally waiting to see what happens with the denon uber universal. I wish there were a beta test for that one like the oppo--id be first on that list!

The reviews of the Denon 3800 I saw were very positive regarding video and audio performance, though in one of them it was said to be sluggish in operating. The high-dollar player coming up (which plays SACD) would be of interest but for its prohibitive (to me) cost.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Bd8002 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd8002 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page