Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Marantz had a mock up of a future player BD8002 at Cedia. Here are pics:

The unit was a prototype with non functioning buttons and a fixed led screen that light up but obviously wasnt playing a disc.
LL

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
Just another player that probably won't do DTS HD MA decoding. Not interested.
post #3 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Holy moly, what a tank! Is that a receiver as well?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #4 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it will output DTS MA as bitstream. I doubt it will internally decode it though. here is the info tag from the booth at Cedia
LL

post #5 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. It has a Realta chip. My guess is msrp between $1500 and $2500. Another high end player in the Denon market (possibly based on the same design, though Denon and Marantz don't usually do that even though they are owned by the same company).

Hal
post #6 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

Well it will output DTS MA as bitstream. I doubt it will internally decode it though. here is the info tag from the booth at Cedia

Correct. If they specifically mention DTS raw data, then they clearly have no intention of decoding MA (or HR) internally.

I'm now convinced that for whatever reason, there will be NO BD players that will internally decode MA. If they haven't been announced by now, they just won't be.
post #7 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
They couldn't make that thing any bigger?

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it has a build-in subwoofer to simplify bass management
post #9 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaRgbE View Post

Correct. If they specifically mention DTS raw data, then they clearly have no intention of decoding MA (or HR) internally.

I'm now convinced that for whatever reason, there will be NO BD players that will internally decode MA. If they haven't been announced by now, they just won't be.

So what happens with Advanced Content or Profile 1.1 stuff?
post #10 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Awesome. BD has the market cornered for mid to high end CE's so far. HD'DVD's best CE is Onkyo!
post #11 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Just another player that probably won't do DTS HD MA decoding. Not interested.

+1
post #12 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Seems more Manufactuers are showing Blu-Ray units than HD-DVD units at CEDIA so far.. I am surprised that other manufactuers haven't come out with HD-DVD units, at least from Pioneer or Harmon/Denon etc...

Jon S: Have you seen any sub $400 players yet?
post #13 of 724 Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Denon says theirs will.
post #14 of 724 Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Can someone point me to a thread that discusses the difference between internally decoding DTS-MA vs sending DTS-MA raw data?

Rodney
post #15 of 724 Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No players lower than $999 that I saw so far. Blu ray is missing the point as far as price in my opinion.

post #16 of 724 Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 AM

What is the point in internal DTS HD MA decoding?

The new receivers will do it!
post #17 of 724 Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

May users have $1000+ receivers that they don't want to replace. So for these people it make sense for them to want internal DTS-HD MA decoding.
post #18 of 724 Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

this definitely looks like a denon with a marantz face plate
post #19 of 724 Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCFreak View Post

So, if you purchased the $4000 Denon 4806ci less than year ago, you'd happily toss it and buy a receiver with MA decoding, is that correct?
post #20 of 724 Old 09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are the final spec for this player:

http://us.marantz.com/Marantz_-_Blu-...se_-_Final.pdf

Quote:

MAHWAH, NJ – September 6, 2007 – Marantz America, a world leader in advanced home entertainment solutions, will demonstrate its commitment to leadership in ultimate-quality DVD performance at CEDIA 2007 with the showcasing of its upcoming Model BD8002 BD-ROM version 1 Profile 1.1 Blu-ray Disc Player (SRP: $2,099.99). The Marantz® BD8002 Blu-ray DVD player features the acclaimed 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta chipset for the ultimate high-definition video resolution possible via HDMI connection, as well as the finest possible audio performance, including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The Marantz BD8002 will be showcased at the company’s CEDIA Booth #200 and is scheduled for delivery in Q1 of 2008.

post #21 of 724 Old 09-22-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am sure this is just another player the HD-DVD Camp will bitch about because it isn't 1.1 or 2.0.... Ironically the first DVD players didn't have DTS, if anyone remembers that and they wouldn't play DVD-RW or DVD-Rs... I didn't feel short changed then and I don't feel short changed now, nature of the business... Hell I still have my Sony S-7000 with the switches and it still plays flawlessly.... Great CD Player too boot. I do agree with them on one point, since I also own a HD-DVD Player, I don't think I would spend 1-2k on a Blu-Ray player till things are more worked out.
post #22 of 724 Old 09-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I am sure this is just another player the HD-DVD Camp will bitch about because it isn't 1.1 or 2.0....

According to the post right above yours, it will be 1.1

R.I.P. hd dvd 2/19/2008

Blu-ray is bigger than just Sony.
post #23 of 724 Old 09-22-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post

According to the post right above yours, it will be 1.1

Yep, but they'll bitch about the price.
post #24 of 724 Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 AM

any update on availability or release date?
post #25 of 724 Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uhhh - what about the upcoming Pana BD-50? Every whistle and bell and it will sell for $599
post #26 of 724 Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Denon 3800 does according to the manual...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #27 of 724 Old 02-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Anybody found an online manual for the Marantz BD8002 yet so that we can start trying to figure out the differences between it and the related Denon 3800?
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #28 of 724 Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Anybody found an online manual for the Marantz BD8002 yet so that we can start trying to figure out the differences between it and the related Denon 3800?
--Bob

I got an email from the Marantz USA Customer Support last Friday. The BD8002 is scheduled to be released in May (no specific date given). I have looked at Marantz's various websites to find further information and could not find anything, other than a press release at the parent D & M website, but not even a two page product overview on the BD8002. The press release provides like a product summary of the BD8002, but not the same information like Denon provides at their websites.

In an eariler thread about the DVD-2500BTCI, I asked the same question. Denon is more proactive in releasing product information particularly with Denon Jeff (Jeff Talmadge) who is the official factory representative who posts regularly on AVS Forum. His posts are most informative.

Too bad Marantz does not have someone like that here as online information, particularly at Marantz's websites (USA, Canada, etc. is really sketchy).

Interestingly, Denon posts the User Manual for the DVD-3800BDCI at the Canada website NOT the USA for some reason.

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/3242.asp

http://ca.denon.com/DVD3800BDCIE3_IM_006.pdf

Like you, I wanted to see what the major differences between the two units were as I will purchase one of them when I can do a complete comparison.

I found pictures online of the rear of the two units and they look identical with the exception of Denon or Marantz labeling. Even the UL file number that the Regulatory Engineer obtains from UL for the final electrical/safety testing and approval report is the same number on both units. So I suspect the units are far more similar than they are dissimilar.

The one big difference I noted on both Denon and Marantz units is the warranty. Denon is 1 year and Marantz is 3 years. However, if you never have to service/replace the units during their lifetime, a warranty is a moot point and becomes more of a marketing issue.

This is not a bashing of either brand. I own both Marantz and Denon products and will continue to do so. So if there is any criticism it is Marantz needs more technical information posted on their products at their website. As a number of people are interested in this unit as displayed by the number of postings on the similar DVD-3800BDCI, hopefully Marantz will take this cue and be more proactive in online documentation.
post #29 of 724 Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosengineer View Post

I got an email from the Marantz USA Customer Support last Friday. The BD8002 is scheduled to be released in May (no specific date given). I have looked at Marantz's various websites to find further information and could not find anything, other than a press release at the parent D & M website, but not even a two page product overview on the BD8002. The press release provides like a product summary of the BD8002, but not the same information like Denon provides at their websites.

In an eariler thread about the DVD-2500BTCI, I asked the same question. Denon is more proactive in releasing product information particularly with Denon Jeff (Jeff Talmadge) who is the official factory representative who posts regularly on AVS Forum. His posts are most informative.

Too bad Marantz does not have someone like that here as online information, particularly at Marantz's websites (USA, Canada, etc. is really sketchy).

Interestingly, Denon posts the User Manual for the DVD-3800BDCI at the Canada website NOT the USA for some reason.

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/3242.asp

http://ca.denon.com/DVD3800BDCIE3_IM_006.pdf

Like you, I wanted to see what the major differences between the two units were as I will purchase one of them when I can do a complete comparison.

I found pictures online of the rear of the two units and they look identical with the exception of Denon or Marantz labeling. Even the UL file number that the Regulatory Engineer obtains from UL for the final electrical/safety testing and approval report is the same number on both units. So I suspect the units are far more similar than they are dissimilar.

The one big difference I noted on both Denon and Marantz units is the warranty. Denon is 1 year and Marantz is 3 years. However, if you never have to service/replace the units during their lifetime, a warranty is a moot point and becomes more of a marketing issue.

This is not a bashing of either brand. I own both Marantz and Denon products and will continue to do so. So if there is any criticism it is Marantz needs more technical information posted on their products at their website. As a number of people are interested in this unit as displayed by the number of postings on the similar DVD-3800BDCI, hopefully Marantz will take this cue and be more proactive in online documentation.

there must be bout 3 threads going on this player ! wish avs could combine them ! anyways I have posted what info I got from a marantz rep who did a presentation at a local gtg at an av store, on what info he had on the upcomign player.

from what I could glean from it all. its a first gen effort from them based on the denon. but cheaper. most of the av stuff from marantz seems to be made in china so that might be helping prices, but dont know if thats the case for the player. styling is 02 series. new 03 styling products are comign starting with the av pre-pro. the marantz rep hinted a cheaper player will follow and that 03 styling player will follow as well (styling ala sa-11 sacd player I'm thinking !). cost flagged was $3,599 for the 8002. which I think is too much. but could be understandable given its a first effort.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #30 of 724 Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space View Post

Uhhh - what about the upcoming Pana BD-50? Every whistle and bell and it will sell for $599

I thought it was selling for the equivalent of over $1400 US dollars in Eurpoe? That is why I just picked up a BD30. If the BD50 was going to be $600 I would have waited.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Bd8002 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd8002 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page