post #151 of 159 Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

You've done "hundreds of installs".... first, this isn't a numbers games, but if it was... there's a heck of a lot more than a few hundred BD player owners in this world, so you example doesn't really say too much.

The fact of the matter is that you don't speak for the world, and there are still LOTS of people out there that are not aware that they are buying 1/2 a machine so to speak. I know a guy that bought a BD player and returned it a day later after I told him of the spec change, and what his machine WON'T be able to do. He returned it and decided to wait because he didn't want to get short changed on what the technology can do for him.... nothing wrong with that.

Like it or not, there ARE people that care about this stuff. What the heck do you think Sony is doing this for in the first place??? If there was no interest do you really think that Sony would be spending the money??? We live in a supply and demand world today.... if there was no demand, then there would be no need to supply.

So you are proud of scaring someone into returning a product? Oh please. Guess what, next year's car model will have new features, why don't you convince everyone that bought this year's model to return them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I love my Panasonic it does well for BLU-RAY and does very well for Audio. I also love my 360 Add-on as I haven't had any problems with either of these players.

I'm just wondering why Thebland always has to be such a format cheer leader and start crap up, then you have a ton of BLU-RAY owners complain about the fact HD-DVD owners responded to a thread that has flamebait written all over it.

What's the agenda thebland?
post #153 of 159 Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You guys going on about the TL-51 deal....they aren't going to release a disk that doesn't work on 1st or 2nd gen players. That's why they are bothering to go through the DVD forum.

On the BD side however, you already have discs like POTC that take 1.5 to 2 minutes to load...you don't think situations like that might become more commonplace with 1.1/2.0 discs on 1.0 machines? It's something I worry about.

I can tell you this....I may not watch the extras and commentary very often, but if I want to, I want to be able to. Stop making excuses for Blu-ray's incomplete rushed-to-market specs. BD should have required "final profile" from day one. Not to mention requiring the players to decode lossless audio formats. Inexcusable IMO, and one of the major reasons I'm holding out for a properly featured 3rd gen/DF player.
post #154 of 159 Old 09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

So you are proud of scaring someone into returning a product? Oh please. Guess what, next year's car model will have new features, why don't you convince everyone that bought this year's model to return them?

"scare"??? I didn't "scare" or "convince" I merely stated the facts... the person in question has a brain and can think for themselves.

Don't shoot the messenger here... this 1.1 compliance mess is certainly not my doing.
post #155 of 159 Old 09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I am not saying I don't want it, I do, I just don't think it is as important as some people make it seem,.....

Well... my kids certainly get a big kick out of it, and companies spend BILLIONS of dollars trying to get kids to buy through their parents.
post #156 of 159 Old 09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Well... my kids certainly get a big kick out of it, and companies spend BILLIONS of dollars trying to get kids to buy through their parents.

Extra content, most kids I know don't care about it, I am a parent as well. They want to push play and see the movie... Not to pick any bones about this will you, but I see you post in the HD-DVD area making fun of the Blu-Ray posters about this whole issue, because you and a few others from that side of the fence are making it one.
post #157 of 159 Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

but I see you post in the HD-DVD area making fun of the Blu-Ray posters about this whole issue, because you and a few others from that side of the fence are making it one.

Actually yes... I'm guilty for it.

First... no word of a lie... my kids LOVE the extras. My older one played with 300 and the blue screen pip system for hours.... It is kind of neat... even for me (although i can't see myself doing it on a regular basis.)

Second... I don't for a minute believe the BD camp when they say it's a non issue. It may not be a HUGE issue.... but then NOBODY wants 1/2 a machine regardless to whether you're talking the HD DVD camp or the BD camp. It's mere human nature to want the most that one can get. To say otherwise is contrary to how humans operate.
post #158 of 159 Old 09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

First... no word of a lie... my kids LOVE the extras. My older one played with 300 and the blue screen pip system for hours.... It is kind of neat... even for me (although i can't see myself doing it on a regular basis.)

Second... I don't for a minute believe the BD camp when they say it's a non issue. It may not be a HUGE issue.... but then NOBODY wants 1/2 a machine regardless to whether you're talking the HD DVD camp or the BD camp. It's mere human nature to want the most that one can get. To say otherwise is contrary to how humans operate.

What I find ironic I don't find this to be that big of issue at all. My first DVD player I bought never did DTS.. Would I like it down the road, sure. But lets not forget there isn't even much on the software side that allows this on the BD side yet, and if the old players can't play new movies that will be a Huge issue. Nice of you to come in here and try to make a mountain out of a mole hill though.. And I do own both formats, do I use the PIP feature on the HD-DVD, rarely.. When you have young kids you barely have time to catch a movie.. bigbarney: Make sure Toshiba is cutting you a check for all the hard work your doing, you at least deserve it.. LOL
post #159 of 159 Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:

So, what you are saying is that it's not a HUGE issue. But you make it one in the other forum?

Quote:

blue screen pip system.... It is kind of neat... even for me (although i can't see myself doing it on a regular basis.)

My thoughts exactly.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page