Playing Blu-Ray on standard DVD player... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize that you will not get HD picture quality, but can you play a blu-ray dvd on a standard player? I don't want to continue to buy standard dvds, when I know I will be getting a blu-ray sometime in the future. I would like to begin buying my movies in blu-ray, but need to wait sometime before getting a player.

-Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

no
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenshelley View Post

I realize that you will not get HD picture quality, but can you play a blu-ray dvd on a standard player? I don't want to continue to buy standard dvds, when I know I will be getting a blu-ray sometime in the future. I would like to begin buying my movies in blu-ray, but need to wait sometime before getting a player.

No you can't. Not the same laser wavelenght frequency. You can play SD DVD on a blu-ray player though.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

They do have hd dvd/dvd combo disks. You can play the sd disk until you buy a hd player. They are a bit higher in price, but you get both sd and hd versions. But no way to play blu ray without a blu ray player. A ps3 is a good way to get blu ray.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I guess I'll just stick with my SD player and continue to purchase SD dvds until the HD format settles a bit and prices for players come down. First time in this section of the forum...thanks again for the responses.

-Allen
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM

No, do not wait.
Whichever format you decide upon - you seem interested in Bluray - get a new player now. Why? QUite frankly the difference of HD over SD even with upscaling, is nothing short of phenominal.

It's not a question of format wars. The plain and simple fact is high definition 1080p eats DVD alive. The color gradiant over HDMI, the upscaling quality dependant upon the processor in the player, and the available audio options far exceed any percieved benefit of the "wait and see'rs" who feel the format wars will die down.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Get Netflix and rent. All the money you save you can use to buy a PS3 and some nice Blu-ray titles.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter View Post

No, do not wait.
Whichever format you decide upon - you seem interested in Bluray - get a new player now. Why? QUite frankly the difference of HD over SD even with upscaling, is nothing short of phenominal.

It's not a question of format wars. The plain and simple fact is high definition 1080p eats DVD alive. The color gradiant over HDMI, the upscaling quality dependant upon the processor in the player, and the available audio options far exceed any percieved benefit of the "wait and see'rs" who feel the format wars will die down.

You're missing the point. The OP said price was an issue - he's waiting for prices to come down more before he buys in.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

If price is an issue, wait till end of October...November timeframe.....you may see a $300 Blu-Ray player for Christmas sales or the Sony BDP-S300/S301 will drop in price.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

If price is an issue, wait till end of October...November timeframe.....you may see a $300 Blu-Ray player for Christmas sales or the Sony BDP-S300/S301 will drop in price.

AGREED!

If Blu-Ray is your player of choice, I would think you should start planning on owning one right around Black Friday.

Whatever you decide, just decide. Waiting sucks as an option.

Good luck with your decision!

Vikings sucked! Gophers BBall sucked! Packers always suck regardless! Lets Go Twins, you're my last chance!!
post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

The war will rage on for many years until both are replaced by something else. This isn't going to be VHS/Beta this time around. The good thing is the war is probably dropping prices faster than without a war so soon you may be able to go neutral for $500 ($200HDDVD, $300BR). Actually how cheap is an LG in the US? In Canada its only 799 so I guess you can already go neutral for $500US!!

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

You're missing the point. The OP said price was an issue - he's waiting for prices to come down more before he buys in.

I agree. Too many people jump in with a definitive opinion w/o knowing any facts. The OP seems to be price sensitive and no one has any idea of his setup. Could be a 25" crt using TV speakers. BD or HD is hardly warranted then. Waiting does not "suck" as an option. Waiting can be the best option, depending on your situation.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page