Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsnplr View Post

I am going to buy a new Blu-Ray unit. The Pioneer is of course one of my choices but the new Panasonic DMP-BD30 is my other. Looking at the DMP-BD30 thread of course their bottom line is the BD30 is the best choice. I have an Elite VSX82TX receiver will I benefit from purchasing either of these units and is there any posts on how these units stack up against each other?

Thank you for your help!

Check out post 323 on pg11 of the Panny 30 owners thread. They both are great players.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #633 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I am going to buy a new Blu-Ray unit. The Pioneer is of course one of my choices but the new Panasonic DMP-BD30 is my other. Looking at the DMP-BD30 thread of course their bottom line is the BD30 is the best choice. I have an Elite VSX82TX receiver will I benefit from purchasing either of these units and is there any posts on how these units stack up against each other?

Thank you for your help!

There are quite a few posts on this subject. Have you used the search function before posting here? That should help.
post #634 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Liked: 10
I have to feigh stupidity I am not sure I know how to search on this forum . Again thank you for your assistance.
post #635 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to feigh stupidity I am not sure I know how to search on this forum . Again thank you for your assistance.

Assuming post #323 on the BD30 thread does not answer your question, the search tab is located at the top of the page with a series of other tabs. If you click on "Search" and then click on "Advanced Search," you can search by title or post, and can confine your searches to specific sub-forums, such as this one.
post #636 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks Smitty it did answer my question. As much as I would like to get the 95FD I think I will save the $500 and get the Pany. Thanks for the help guys.
post #637 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Smitty it did answer my question. As much as I would like to get the 95FD I think I will save the $500 and get the Pany. Thanks for the help guys.

It's actually more like $300 if you do a little shopping around, but it's still a substantial difference. I ended up going with the 95FD, knowing the Panasonic was coming, just because I like the build quality of the Pioneer Elite and, based on my experience, I think their QC is better than Panasonic. But I can see people going the other way also.
post #638 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM

The Hun
Hi Hun, danceman325, I read your message and would you mind sharing the best street price you have so far, and great price or not, do you have confidence in buying from the store or website that has that great price. Personally, I've found 830.00+ shipping just today, and appearently this is a Audio.Video store. Please email me at eaphilips993@insightbb.com. Thank you
post #639 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Tom
Hi Tom, Danceman325 here, would you mind supplying the sales price, the city name and a phone number to tweeter's would be great. If I haven't done this reply correctly please email your answer to eaphilips993@insightbb.com Thank you.
Danceman325
post #640 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinuk View Post

are you using the new firmware?

YES, I'm using 3.15
post #641 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post

Yes and the other 3 play fine. When you say it plays fine on the 30 does the DTS HD MA track work. Mine did not even kick in on this disc. So I figured it is a bad disc. Also the player seemed to be working hard while loading the machine for the first time was loud. It is both audio and video.

Yes, the DTS-MA works on my 30 bitstreamed to Integra DTR8.8
post #642 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM

The HD MAN
Hi HD, Danceman325 here, I'm a fairly new member, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. If you still have a 95FD available please let me know. If its better to email me . please me at ,
eaphilips993@insightbb.com Thanks.
post #643 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM

The Barn Man
Hi Barn Man, I found a web site on Audiogon.com that advertised a Blue-Ray player from Denon. I had heard they were going to release one, but they were waiting to see which market, Blue-Ray or HD DVD, would be economically superior, in sales, to the other. From what I am currently reading , neither product's sales can be truely said to be superior to the other. Its been this way and appearently its going to stay this way. This may also be why that specific web site dealer isn't currently advertising the Denon player. I called him and he's now saying that the player probably won't be released until sometime in January(saw the listing in September,07) and its even possible that the price (currently 1500.00-1600.00 dollars) could go up. Secondly, a major issue to me was that the list of features described the video processor chip , that the Denon will be using as , is the "big Brother" , to the processor chip that Toshiba has used in their higher end HD-Ax2 model, which is what I have now for my HD DVD player. I feel lucky that JoeRod has done a very nice job of extolling the virtues of the ax2 , and if the Denon is truly that much better , due to a better ax2 type chip set', I probably would want it. I will tell you this , What I don't want is another Denon product that is a good product, but is not a outstanding product, and thats what it would have to be for the price I would have to pay. Thanks for asking.
Danceman325
post #644 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danceman325 View Post

The HD MAN
Hi HD, Danceman325 here, I'm a fairly new member, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. If you still have a 95FD available please let me know. If its better to email me . please me at ,
eaphilips993@insightbb.com Thanks.

Try sending a private message (PM) to TheHDMan. Click on his name in one of his posts, and it will drop down a box and one of the options is to send him a PM.
post #645 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danceman325 View Post

Gentleman
I'm Danceman325 , and for several months now I've read intelligent and considered opinions and facts about the Blue-Rays, and the HD DVD players from many of you, and I've learned a lot. I'm more than ready to buy a Blue-Ray player and honestly the Denon would be my first choice , except for the fact that they won't be released untill January ,hopefully, and their cost will be approx. 1500.00 to 1600.00 dollars. The Pioneer 95FD would be my second, obvious , and I believe an excellent choice. I'm reading that some members are paying approx. 1000.00 dollars to buy a 95FD, and to be honest I'm quite surprised.
I have for the last 5 or 6 years purchased many audio and video pieces off of Ebay . Audiogon . and Videogon,( some fairly expensive),and I'm happy to say I've had no real problems at all. I imagine that most of you have heard of the sites. I currently can get a brand new 95FD from one of these sites and and I would be paying between 850.00 and 900.00 plus shipping. I would appreciate an honest opinion from any and all about making this type of purchase. Thanks. Danceman325

Call and talk to John Marty at Axxis Audio, they are an Authorized Pioneer Elite Dealer and they are an AVS Forum sponsor, click the text link at the bottom of the AVS forum page. So you don't have to worry about buying one off ebay or audigon. He has great avs member special pricing on the Pioneer Elite BDP 95.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #646 of 2440 Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I guess this question has probably been posted here, however, are there any plans to upgrade (firmware) to allow the BDP-95FD to convert, or decode, DTS-HD MasterAudio bitstream to multi-channel LPCM?
post #647 of 2440 Old 11-22-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I guess this question has probably been posted here, however, are there any plans to upgrade (firmware) to allow the BDP-95FD to convert, or decode, DTS-HD MasterAudio bitstream to multi-channel LPCM?

I have heard such rumors.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #648 of 2440 Old 11-22-2007, 09:20 AM

Still have some BD95 left if anyone still needs. Also have all other Elite products. Authorized dealer good prices. Pm if anyone needs anything.
Happy holdiday everyone
post #649 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 01:34 PM

I just purchased one of these players and it is my first BD player. I am connecting it through a VSX-94Thx receiver and displaying on a Panasonic PT-AE2000U.

When I play Spider Man 3, it takes like 3 minutes before the menus come up. I guess this is normal with Java content. I can not believe its that slow but oh well.

However, after the menu appears and I select play, there is more loading. What I do not like is two or three times before the actual movie starts is the video signal seems to stop as my projector goes to its "No Signal" blue screen. This is annoying.

Do others see this problem or is it just my combination of equipment causing it. I never get drops out while the movie is playing only during the loading process.

Shawn
post #650 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammers View Post

I just purchased one of these players and it is my first BD player. I am connecting it through a VSX-94Thx receiver and displaying on a Panasonic PT-AE2000U.

When I play Spider Man 3, it takes like 3 minutes before the menus come up. I guess this is normal with Java content. I can not believe its that slow but oh well.

However, after the menu appears and I select play, there is more loading. What I do not like is two or three times before the actual movie starts is the video signal seems to stop as my projector goes to its "No Signal" blue screen. This is annoying.

Do others see this problem or is it just my combination of equipment causing it. I never get drops out while the movie is playing only during the loading process.

Shawn

I think it's the same for everyone. I see the same behavior with my Pio 150FD in terms of frequent alternating video/no video signal.

And yes, the pattern of multiple loading instances is so very annoying. I like this player, but I now regret not having waited for the Panny 30 because of the very slooooooooo load times of Java disks. It's driving me crazy. I can't believe that if the Panny 30 has such relatively fast load times, a player costing twice as much is so slow. Shame on Pioneer.
post #651 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Why am I reading here the unit doesn't decode DTS-HD MA to multi channel PCM if the Pioneer website says it does???

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #652 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Why am I reading here the unit doesn't decode DTS-HD MA to multi channel PCM if the Pioneer website says it does???

How about posting a link if you are so sure. And I have never seen a place on the site that says it does. It is always bitstreams or to be doecoded in a AVR.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #653 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post

How about posting a link if you are so sure. And I have never seen a place on the site that says it does. It is always bitstreams or to be doecoded in a AVR.

My bad, it looks like that's correct. It's moot now, I just ordered the Yamaha RX-V3800.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #654 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 PM

Appreciate any input on this subject. Just brought home the Pioneer 95FD. In just two hours, people in this forum are indicating that this is almost obsolete because it is not Profile 1.1. I actually called Pioneer this evening to ask what the Profile was of this player, and they confirmed it was 1.0. When I asked what the difference was and how it would affect the furture use of the player, I was told that Profile 1.1 will add a 1 gigabite of buffer. He knew NO more. So my question... do I take it back to my favorite hometheater store? Can anyone truly tell me what the difference would be, and if it truly makes this player obsolete. I will be pairing it with the new Yamaha RX-Z11 (due to arrive in 3 days).

By the way, the Pioneer customer support could also NOT answer the type of scaler being used in the player. Anyone know?

Thanks, Tom

Tom
post #655 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Here's a newly published article about the various BD profiles:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Explained/1186

I bought my 95FD exactly 3 weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. At the time, I knew full well that a Profile 1.1 player was on the horizon (the Panny BD30) but I opted for the Pioneer anyway since it was getting rave reviews here and it seemed to be the more substantial player of the two in terms of build quality. The new features offered by Profile 1.1 didn't matter to me. As far as the 95FD becoming obsolete right away, well, it should be able to play Profile 1.1 discs just fine (we'll have to see when the discs come out next year)--it's just that any 1.1-specific features won't function.

Russell
post #656 of 2440 Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just go upto the stickys to find out about the profiles.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=868226

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #657 of 2440 Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks to both of you gentlemen for your responses. Probably will end up keeping the Pioneer 95FD. After I hook it up to the new Yamaha, I will post some results of my experience.

Tom
post #658 of 2440 Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

I think it's the same for everyone. I see the same behavior with my Pio 150FD in terms of frequent alternating video/no video signal.

And yes, the pattern of multiple loading instances is so very annoying. I like this player, but I now regret not having waited for the Panny 30 because of the very slooooooooo load times of Java disks. It's driving me crazy. I can't believe that if the Panny 30 has such relatively fast load times, a player costing twice as much is so slow. Shame on Pioneer.

Agreed. The build quality doesnt mean squat if it does not produce real world PQ/AQ differences, which it doesnt. Just read Joerods comments...he actualy prefers the 30 over the 95 for PQ, and the 30 is 1/2 the price! The Panny load time is excelent. I cant believe people are even still considering the Pioneer, especialy in light of how fast these players are changing right now. A few years from now would be the time to throw down on a nice piece like the Pioneer when everything is working very well, but not now, especialy when a player half the price performs better!
post #659 of 2440 Old 11-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Could someone link Joe's Panny review?
post #660 of 2440 Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Can't wait! Tomorrow morning this player along with the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH to match will be mine! Now I'll be able to FINALLY enjoy/listen to DTS-MA.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 94hd Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page