post #1621 of 2440 Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandor View Post

Yes it can and it does. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH and it does it.

Me too, I have the 95 and a 94 receiver and it is quite impressive in the sound department. It is a definite benefit to have the ma tracks. If you have good equipment.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2440 Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

Me too, I have the 95 and a 94 receiver and it is quite impressive in the sound department. It is a definite benefit to have the ma tracks. If you have good equipment.

I have the same setup. I kind of laugh when I hear folks slam Fox for using DTS HD MA, they clearly have not had the benefit for hearing their movies using MA. Spectacular stuff!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #1623 of 2440 Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post

Not quite true some earlier titles (Punisher, Saw, for instance) have a DTS-ES track. Some have DTS-HD HR (Condemned, Saw 2 & 3). Saw IV has DTS-HS MA. 3:10 to Yuma has PCM. So they are all over the map.

Yes you are correct, I should have said a number of them contained a DTS-HD HR track

Go Celtics!
post #1624 of 2440 Old 03-14-2008, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

I have the same setup. I kind of laugh when I hear folks slam Fox for using DTS HD MA, they clearly have not had the benefit for hearing their movies using MA. Spectacular stuff!

If you have heard any uncompressed PCM track or Dolby TrueHD track, it is basically the same thing.

Go Celtics!
post #1625 of 2440 Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Agreed Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA is pretty much the same thing. All good, and too say that one sounds waaay better than the other is the part that makes me laugh. I am just glad the we have this kind of quality sound source for movies. The only thing I wish they added was a discrete channel for my transducers!
post #1626 of 2440 Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the posts, aleandor and madkaw. Now is the time to decide on what AV receivers to consider for purchase.

Mauro
post #1627 of 2440 Old 03-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF70 View Post

Thanks for the posts, aleandor and madkaw. Now is the time to decide on what AV receivers to consider for purchase.

Three letters- NAD
post #1628 of 2440 Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

Agreed Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA is pretty much the same thing. All good, and too say that one sounds waaay better than the other is the part that makes me laugh. I am just glad the we have this kind of quality sound source for movies. The only thing I wish they added was a discrete channel for my transducers!

Unfortunately some people buy into the marketing hype that DTS or Dolby try to sell customers. PCM would be fine on all BD's and nothing else would be needed, but it is all about money and DTS and Dolby make tons of money by including tracks in their codecs on movies and some people actually buy into it!

Go Celtics!
post #1629 of 2440 Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

Unfortunately some people buy into the marketing hype that DTS or Dolby try to sell customers. PCM would be fine on all BD's and nothing else would be needed, but it is all about money and DTS and Dolby make tons of money by including tracks in their codecs on movies and some people actually buy into it!

Please explain in more detail just who are customers of DTS and Dolby and why these customers are paying what you claim they pay for a codec that isn't needed because PCM is all that is needed. Looking forward to better understanding your position in this matter.
post #1630 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

Please explain in more detail just who are customers of DTS and Dolby and why these customers are paying what you claim they pay for a codec that isn't needed because PCM is all that is needed. Looking forward to better understanding your position in this matter.

Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA are all basically the same thing, same codec, same sound. The only real differences are the bit rates that each use and the fact that DTS-HD MA requires a lot more processing power since it uses such a high bit rate...but ultimately they all sound the same. Now for the marketing part, PCM would be all that is needed, but unfortunatley PCM doesn't sell to the mass people, everyone knows the names DTS/Dolby and there is tons of money involved by having their products being included in movies.

Go Celtics!
post #1631 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA are all basically the same thing, same codec, same sound. The only real differences are the bit rates that each use and the fact that DTS-HD MA requires a lot more processing power since it uses such a high bit rate...but ultimately they all sound the same. Now for the marketing part, PCM would be all that is needed, but unfortunatley PCM doesn't sell to the mass people, everyone knows the names DTS/Dolby and there is tons of money involved by having their products being included in movies.

I think what you are saying, or implying, is the fact that the consummer is paying the additional cost of the royalties charged by Folby and DTS for their codecs. Am I right?

Mauro
post #1632 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF70 View Post

I think what you are saying, or implying, is the fact that the consummer is paying the additional cost of the royalties charged by Folby and DTS for their codecs. Am I right?

Sory, Ray, for mispelling your name.

Mauro
post #1633 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Actually both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA save space on the disc, and that leaves more room for extras and longer movies -- or more episodes of a show. It is hard to argue that saving space isn't a good thing.

As for TrueHD vs DTS-HD MA, I think DTS will be more popular because the "core" feature saves even more space by not requiring the studio to include a legacy sound track the way TrueHD does. I believe this is why so many Blu-ray titles have one of the DTS-HD codecs instead of one of Dolby's codecs (20% vs 11% of all titles). But right now, neither can compete with LPCM as 40% of all Blu-ray titles use it.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/stats.php

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #1634 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't buy it. That is, I don't believe the masses ultimately are drawn to Dolby or DTS, just because of the name branding. If it were explained to them that PCM is also lossless and theoretically just as good, I think the masses would understand. I'd like to see your proof that PCM doesn't sell to the masses and that DTS/Dolby does.

That being said, my own listening, on good equipment, does find very subtle differences between the lossless formats. I favor DTS HD MA over PCM which I favor or Dolby True HD. I know other have agreed with this. And others believe there are no differences.

And as was pointed out, the space saving benefic of DTS HD and Dolby HD are not insignificant.
post #1635 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

townofturley,
How did you d your tests? I wasn't aware there was any disc that came with all three lossless formats.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #1636 of 2440 Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

It's not hype, the DTS and Dolby HD are lossless compression and that's a good thing.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #1637 of 2440 Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

Sorry, but I don't buy it. That is, I don't believe the masses ultimately are drawn to Dolby or DTS, just because of the name branding. If it were explained to them that PCM is also lossless and theoretically just as good, I think the masses would understand. I'd like to see your proof that PCM doesn't sell to the masses and that DTS/Dolby does.

That being said, my own listening, on good equipment, does find very subtle differences between the lossless formats. I favor DTS HD MA over PCM which I favor or Dolby True HD. I know other have agreed with this. And others believe there are no differences.

And as was pointed out, the space saving benefic of DTS HD and Dolby HD are not insignificant.

It all comes down to money between DTS/Dolby and movie studios. All 3 codecs are basically the same, very little differences, except for space saving, like you said, but I for one really have no need for even more extras, since I do not like the ones that are already contained on BD's. The space argument will go away soon when larger capacity discs become available.

Go Celtics!
post #1638 of 2440 Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

It all comes down to money between DTS/Dolby and movie studios. All 3 codecs are basically the same, very little differences, except for space saving, like you said, but I for one really have no need for even more extras, since I do not like the ones that are already contained on BD's. The space argument will go away soon when larger capacity discs become available.

Seems to me that the savings in bit-rate with lossless compression vs. LPCM is the only real advantage. I don't see disc capacity as a big deal (I have little use for the "extras"). With fewer bits taken by the audio tracks you should have more to allocate to the video.
post #1639 of 2440 Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Sorry guys....its a bit OT but....does anyone have any info on next gen release date?
post #1640 of 2440 Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That being said, my own listening, on good equipment, does find very subtle differences between the lossless formats.

Audiophile with good equipment hears SUBTLE difference.
EQUALS
Average user with average equipment hears no difference maybe?

If there is a difference it must really be so subtle that it is probably negligible.
post #1641 of 2440 Old 03-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Watched I Robot last night. The reviews are right, it is the best PQ movie I have viewed yet, the AQ is also fantastic. This is the first movie that I actually turned the eq off and it sounded better than with it on.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #1642 of 2440 Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Can the PCM analog outputs of the 95FD be managed as far as adjusting the individual volume output or any type of bass mangement?

My pre-amp does not have HDMI inputs so in using the analog outputs of the 95 allows me to take advantage of the HD audio from the blue-ray but am I stuck with this audio and bass as is, or is their any adjustments within the player that I can make other than selecting speaker large or small?
post #1643 of 2440 Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Can the PCM analog outputs of the 95FD be managed as far as adjusting the individual volume output or any type of bass mangement?

My pre-amp does not have HDMI inputs so in using the analog outputs of the 95 allows me to take advantage of the HD audio from the blue-ray but am I stuck with this audio and bass as is, or is their any adjustments within the player that I can make other than selecting speaker large or small?

I couldn't find anywhere in the menu where levels can be set on the 95. Fortunatly for me, my processor allows for level setting on the analog inputs, so I quick run with video essentials and i was all set.

(Looking forward to I am Legend tonight... :-)
post #1644 of 2440 Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Hi,

If you want to have the "full" sub on the 5.1 analog out, you've got to choose "large" on the speaker settings of the player.
If not, you'll get a very light sub level/impact...
I don't know why, but it works pretty much better that way.
Somebody already told it some pages before... and it is to be remembered !
post #1645 of 2440 Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Anyone else having problems with the Fox menus with this player?
My Man on Fire menu is super slow, along with scene selection....
Firmware is up to date.
post #1646 of 2440 Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Why is this thread not a sticky anymore?

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #1647 of 2440 Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Why is this thread not a sticky anymore?

Probably because the thread has slowed down so much. Used to be considerably more posts a day. Now only one or two...
post #1648 of 2440 Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Finally got my 95 today. Very impressed with it. SD Upconversion is way better then I thought too. Love seeing DTS HD Master on my receiver.
I looked thru the thread to see if anyone has addressed the setting in Video/Audio Adjust. plus I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Does anyone have any input there??
post #1649 of 2440 Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

I bought the last Pioneer 95 available in Southern Arizona. All the Pioneer Elite dealers in the whole area were out of stock and had no idea when they would be able to get any more.

I found one left at one of the Magnolia Home Theater stores and grabbed it. They are so low on Blu-ray players it is amazing. They have even sold all their demo players.
post #1650 of 2440 Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoWd0Wn View Post

Finally got my 95 today. Very impressed with it. SD Upconversion is way better then I thought too. Love seeing DTS HD Master on my receiver.
I looked thru the thread to see if anyone has addressed the setting in Video/Audio Adjust. plus I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Does anyone have any input there??

Not sure what you are looking for, but my professional TV calibrator said that I should have the video set on CUSTOM1 all the time. I havn't done anything with the audio.

Justin
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer Elite Bdp 94hd Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page