AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD Owner's Thread

343K views 2K replies 368 participants last post by  LoWd0Wn 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Pioneer Elite BDP-95HD from the Pioneer Store in Costa Mesa. Details, Specifications, Product Brochure, etc. can be found here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...837012,00.html

I will keep this first post for answers to common questions so that new owners get answers quickly.

Does the Pioneer Elite BDP-95HD generate the DTS-HD Master Audio Bitstream that can be decoded by the receiver / processor?

-- Yes. My Integra DTC-9.8 displays 'DTS-HD MSTR' when I select DTS-HD Master Audio sound track from disk. Audio is un-frig'in-believable!

Are the load times improved over the 94HD?

-- Using POTC: COTBP as a benchmark, it took 22 seconds from pressing START on the remote to the POTC "loading..." message to appear and a total of 38 seconds for the Disney screen to appear

How does the PQ of the 95FD compare to the 94HD?

-- Very similiar - 95FD just slightly sharper: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11881044

How well does the 1080p24fps work:

-- Flawlessly: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11881044

How is good is the DVD SD upconversion on the BDP-95FD?

-- Excellent ( better than the BDP-94HD and the HD1 ): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11882334

REPORTED ISSUES or PROBLEMS : None.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been watching Kingdom of Heaven Blu Ray while listening to the DTS-HD MA sound track ( Integra displays DTS-HD MSTR :) Sounds un-frig'in-believable.

Player seems to be operating flawlessly. Boot up time very acceptable. Responds to remote immediately. It is difficult to tell if there are any PQ differences from the PS3 that I had but the DTS-HD MA is mind blowing...

#3 ·
Nice! I also got the 150FD recently and should receive my BDP-95HD next week so I'm anxiously awaiting your comments! Also, UMR is calibrating my 150FD next wednesday so I'll have comments about this player/tv after calibration.

#5 ·
Congrats on snagging the Elite! Nice to hear they are finally out, hopefully mine is en route! Couple of quick questions:

Does bitstreaming HBR audio work out of the box without need for firmware update? Any comments on start up and load times?

I just bought a PS3 to tide me until my 95 arrives (and to play a few games
). How does the BD PQ of the 95 compare to the PS3?

Thanks for the feedback. Hope you enjoyed your dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru /forum/post/0

Nice! I also got the 150FD recently and should receive my BDP-95HD next week so I'm anxiously awaiting your comments! Also, UMR is calibrating my 150FD next wednesday so I'll have comments about this player/tv after calibration.

dvdguru, I will be pairing the 95HD with the 150FD also. UMR will be calibrating my setup as well. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the combination before/after calibration.

Regards

#6 ·
Congrats on being one (if not) of the first to get the 95! Look fwd to your review. I can't believe someone actually beat Joe on this

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 /forum/post/11871983

Congrats on being one (if not) the first to get the 95! Look fwd to your review. I can't believe someone actually beat Joe on this

I think we all know nobody would have but he has to wait to have his shipped.

Now back on topic Gratz and keep us posted.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 /forum/post/11871983

Congrats on being one (if not) the first to get the 95! Look fwd to your review. I can't believe someone actually beat Joe on this

Poor Joe, I had his player in my hands today, it arrived, and 5 seconds later it was being fedex'd to his home. I think he will be ok when he gets home tomorrow

#10 ·
I am very fine. Let someone else take the heat for being the first to post about it. Of course he hasn't really done a review yet. It always cracks me up when AVS members get something new and then start a new thread by saying they have it but it is not opened yet!
More to come later. Anyway, congrats Tony, now open it!

P.S. Isn't it the Pioneer BDP-95FD? Can we get the thread title fixed? Mods?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/11873667

I am very fine. Let someone else take the heat for being the first to post about it. Of course he hasn't really done a review yet. It always cracks me up when AVS members get something new and then start a new thread by saying they have it but it is not opened yet!
More to come later. Anyway, congrats Tony, now open it!

P.S. Isn't it the Pioneer BDP-95FD? Can we get the thread title fixed? Mods?

You don't need a mod to fix a thread title anymore - I opened it last night and watched Kingdom of Heaven - DTS-HD MA rocks!

By the way Joerod or anyone else, how do you force a 1080p24fps output - when I select source direct, my TV displays 1080i; when I select 1080p, I believe I am getting 108060fps?

#15 ·
Tony, to ensure 24p playback, go into the Home menu of the 150FD and make sure under "Pure Cinema", that the "Film" mode is set to "Advance" (pg. 61 in manual).

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilent1 /forum/post/11875195

Tony, to ensure 24p playback, go into the Home menu of the 150FD and make sure under "Pure Cinema", that the "Film" mode is set to "Advance" (pg. 61 in manual).

Thanks, the Pro-150fd is set up correctly ( I had 1080p24fps working with my PS3 )

#17 ·
I've seen conflicting reports as to whether the 95 actually decodes dts-ma or just passes it on to a 1.3 receiver to decode?

I swear I was told at CEDIA that it decodes it and sends it out to a non 1.3 pre-pro such as the anthem statement.

but now the 95 spec sheet says it decoded truehd, but passes DTS-MA via bitstream so the newer, 1.3 receivers can decode it.

Summary...can I get DTS-Ma with this player with only a 1.1 receiver?

thanks

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce /forum/post/11876388

Thanks, the Pro-150fd is set up correctly ( I had 1080p24fps working with my PS3 )
Sorry Tony. Did you get 24p working on the 95HD yet?

#20 ·
Just thought I let anyone know that the Toshiba HDxa2 does a much better job on regular DVDs and the sound is better that the Pioneer Elite. Did some a/b last night as I have both and truly I am a little disapointed with the audio from the pioneer elite compared to the tOshiba.

Joey

#23 ·
Joeycalda:

How did you compare the audio - analog interconnects or DD downmix or HBR audio?

#24 ·
I will not be posting to much about the audio since the last time I did (A35 and Dolby TrueHD) I ended up getting bombarded with PMs and hate posts. Actually they were 50/50 (support/agreement or B.S./disagreement) but I do not want to go down that road again.

#25 ·
But isn't the bitstream output of lossless audio the big improvement in this player? Anyway I understand tif you don't want to get the same type thread going. Congrats on the new player!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.