Do ALL Blu-ray players have issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just starting to look at the current crop of BR players out there and with the exception of the PS3 , there seems to be issues with almost all of the stand alone players. Shucking out 500.00 or more for a player that 'freezes' or 'sticks' in the middle of a movie seems kind of criminal to me Are there any models out there that are glitch free at this time? If not, I guess I'll have to put it on the back burner till they get it sorted out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have not had a single issue with my new Pioneer...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #3 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Humm issues here seems less rampant that in the HD DVD forum what it's ERROR 4XXXXX o plently... Fox and it's time here, but it's now fixed..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #4 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM

There really are no playback issues with my Panny dmp bd10a. Plays everything I've thrown at it without a hitch. It does reset its speaker settings any time it receives one of the new audio codecs but I don't really consider that a playback issue.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Both sides have more than their share of issues....

John
post #6 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoad View Post

There really are no playback issues with my Panny dmp bd10a. Plays everything I've thrown at it without a hitch. It does reset its speaker settings any time it receives one of the new audio codecs but I don't really consider that a playback issue.

Hmmm..... about a week ago while over at BB we hooked the Panny bd10aup to a 50" Panny PZ77u and we could not get 'Pirates' to play at all. Replaced with the Samsung 1200 and disc played fine. who knows , perhaps something wasn't set up correctly with the bd-10a.

Bottom line is, there just should not be this much trouble with the so called 'latest and greatest' technology!! I've never read so many posts about folks returning players, or living with them and putting up with their flaws. Bad enough the industry launches with the format wars .... and now follow it up with less than reliable equipment. Not surprising some consumers are hessitant to make a lot of moves at this time
post #7 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No problems with my Panasonic DMP BD10A or my Toshiba XA2
post #8 of 32 Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Panasonic dmp bd10a is a very reliable player. PS3 is also reliable. Pioneers as well. Firmwares have ironed out most big issues. Read both BD and hd-dvd forums to compare the sheer number of issues.
post #9 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by restart View Post

Panasonic dmp bd10a is a very reliable player. PS3 is also reliable. Pioneers as well. Firmwares have ironed out most big issues. Read both BD and hd-dvd forums to compare the sheer number of issues.

I agree 100%!

The "issues" you hear about in the Blu-Ray Players forum, are because of some of the new titles with either BD+ or BD-J, and a firmware update has been taking care of those "issues".

Yeah, if you have taken a look in the HD-DVD forums, you see they are having software issues, especially with the "combo" disks!
post #10 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 AM

Also, besides the real issues both formats had/have in some players, with some titles, there is a number of people that open new threads on the forums, especially on the BD player forum, saying or asking if players have problems or are bugged. This is a FUD strategy, and unfortunately the mods are not fast enough(especially for the BD forum...) to lock and eventually delete these threads that add nothing, repeat some of what is already knows and keep the bad propaganda against BD.
post #11 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Up to 5 years ago I have never done a firmware update on any electronics device I ever owned.

Now in the last 2 years I have done projector and player updates more than twice! I even read that AVR's are doing firmware updates ... and I was planning a new HDMI 1.3a AVR. Good grief, I have a LAN cable connected into the theater electronics bay and I move it from one component to another along with a laptop to keep abreast of the latest.

I could NEVER imagine my parents generation doing this. Nope. Todays gear is for the sub-50 year olds with patience, tolerance and wasteful income.
post #12 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

No problems here with my sony bdp-s300

200 +++ BD discs and counting...still enjoying 60+ HD-DVD's too!!
post #13 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by restart View Post

Thanks guys for your responses so far, perhaps I've focused a little too much on the 'negative' reports and have not been looking for the 'possitive' feedback enough I think I may take another peek at the Panny bd10a. or the Pioneer.

BTW; being new to HD, can someone please give me a crash course on the difference between the various HDMI connections (1.1 / 1.3 etc.) I don't understand the differences and noticed comments about some people 'waiting' for next generation Panny players just for this reason. Is this a concern if I'm looking at the current model Panny bd10a?

Thanks
post #14 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

Just starting to look at the current crop of BR players out there and with the exception of the PS3 , there seems to be issues with almost all of the stand alone players. Shucking out 500.00 or more for a player that 'freezes' or 'sticks' in the middle of a movie seems kind of criminal to me Are there any models out there that are glitch free at this time? If not, I guess I'll have to put it on the back burner till they get it sorted out

are you serious ??? i have not had ONE SINGLE ISSUE with my panasonic dmp-bd10. i also own a toshiba hd dud A1 and XA2 which both give me problems.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 AM

I have 2 PS3's and they play e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g I put in it. Quick load times too.
post #16 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The more the gear is getting complicated, the more there's Human Interaction the more problem it will get.

Today HD player and AVR are computers.. computers OS are buggy and that's no exception.

Back in they days at DVD launch there were countless problems with DVD and DVD PLayer the only solution was to send the players at the CE to made them FIX It..Now that people can do it it's great

I bought a 3808ci for that fonction, it allow user FW Update and since that AVR is a computer.. it's very important to me..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #17 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Up to 5 years ago I have never done a firmware update on any electronics device I ever owned.

Now in the last 2 years I have done projector and player updates more than twice! I even read that AVR's are doing firmware updates ... and I was planning a new HDMI 1.3a AVR. Good grief, I have a LAN cable connected into the theater electronics bay and I move it from one component to another along with a laptop to keep abreast of the latest.

I could NEVER imagine my parents generation doing this. Nope. Todays gear is for the sub-50 year olds with patience, tolerance and wasteful income.

Every piece of electronics gear with the exception of my AVR and TV have had firmware updates in the last 5 years. It's par for the course...

You make this out to be a bad thing... it's not really the players or manufacturers fault... technology has accelerated and therefore the playback and other electronics devices are able to be updated... I for one look @ that as a good thing, not a bad one.

As for post 50s.... My mom has a Panny BD player and is tech savvy enough to burn firmware updates... I would argue the same people wouldn't be updating if they were 20 or 30... Some people care, others don't. It's that simple.
post #18 of 32 Old 10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It seems as though there is no rhyme or reason to each formats player problems. but know this, they both have their Issues.

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #19 of 32 Old 10-18-2007, 03:22 AM

My PS3 has been 100% solid, never a single issue. My HD-DVD player on the other hand.. Well lets put it this way, I consider buying the HD-DVD release of a movie on both formats to be HDM roulette.

Formerly Neutral
PS3 + BD movies: 44
Toshiba A2: SOLD
24 HD-DVD's: SOLD
post #20 of 32 Old 10-18-2007, 03:26 AM

For the most part BD has been problem free. With the inclusion of bd+ security there were issues of players not having firmware ready for it. HD-DVD appears to be way more problem prone with every combo disk release springing up a "Problems" thread in HD-DVD Software of this message board. Non combo disks like Heros and Transformers have had problems too.
post #21 of 32 Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatspeed View Post

For the most part BD has been problem free. With the inclusion of bd+ security there were issues of players not having firmware ready for it. HD-DVD appears to be way more problem prone with every combo disk release springing up a "Problems" thread in HD-DVD Software of this message board. Non combo disks like Heros and Transformers have had problems too.

That's been the opposite of my experience. Dont kid yourself, there are lots of problems with BD too. A quick scan of the forums will confirm this. My Samsung 1200 has had a 50% error rate, even after the FW update. It freezes up, has lip sync issues, handshake issues and won't even play all of my discs. My A1 has only had a problem with 2 discs out of 75, including many combos.
J
post #22 of 32 Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

No problems with my PS3 since purchased April 2007.
post #23 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Zero issues with my Pio Elite BDP-95FD - flawless operation - outstanding PQ and SQ.

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #24 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

Thanks guys for your responses so far, perhaps I've focused a little too much on the 'negative' reports and have not been looking for the 'possitive' feedback enough
Thanks

Keeop in mind that internet forums are where people come to try to iron out problems they are having so you will see a larger number of posts regarding playback issues. On the other hand, what fun is a post that reads "Everything is working great"! Boooring!

So, realize that on both sides there will be some issues with playback from time to time. I have an A2 Toshiba player and an 80gb PS3 and I have had a few VERY minor issues with each from time to time but it ALWAYS been the disc and either a firmware update took care of it or another copy of the rental disc. I will say that HD players are a little more fussy about disc condition than my SD DVD players were but my discs are in immaculate condition anyways so only rentals have given me troubles.

Dont worry.... overall quality on BOTH sides is excellent!
post #25 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 AM

So what might happen after the "1.1 spec" is released? Are all first and second generation Blu ray players rendered paperweights?

-Murray

R.I.P. Lou Ashby
post #26 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd_guy View Post

So what might happen after the "1.1 spec" is released? Are all first and second generation Blu ray players rendered paperweights?

-Murray

Probably not, but expect a few glitches here and there. BTW, third gen. won't be compliant either.
J
post #27 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

That's been the opposite of my experience. Dont kid yourself, there are lots of problems with BD too. A quick scan of the forums will confirm this. My Samsung 1200 has had a 50% error rate, even after the FW update. It freezes up, has lip sync issues, handshake issues and won't even play all of my discs. My A1 has only had a problem with 2 discs out of 75, including many combos.
J

Have you considered that there might be something wrong with your Samsung that needs to be repaired?
post #28 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by glide2flip View Post

I have 2 PS3's and they play e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g I put in it. Quick load times too.

But I prefer not to wear ear muff when watching the movie due to the jet engine noise they produce. (Just Kidding)
post #29 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Keeop in mind that internet forums are where people come to try to iron out problems they are having so you will see a larger number of posts regarding playback issues. On the other hand, what fun is a post that reads "Everything is working great"! Boooring!

So, realize that on both sides there will be some issues with playback from time to time. I have an A2 Toshiba player and an 80gb PS3 and I have had a few VERY minor issues with each from time to time but it ALWAYS been the disc and either a firmware update took care of it or another copy of the rental disc. I will say that HD players are a little more fussy about disc condition than my SD DVD players were but my discs are in immaculate condition anyways so only rentals have given me troubles.

Dont worry.... overall quality on BOTH sides is excellent!

+1

My HD-A20 and BD-P1200 have both been great performers so far.

The A1 and A2 I had also worked for me with no problems.

Every piece of A/V gear mentioned anywhere in this forum has folks that post their issues and problems, looking for answers. So, it appears from reading these AVS forum posts that lots of people are having problems with nearly all their gear. The fact is, the vast majority of people don't have any problems with most of the CE products they buy, and they certainly don't visit sites like this to post "all my stuff is working great".
post #30 of 32 Old 10-19-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

My Samsung 1200 has had a 50% error rate, even after the FW update. It freezes up, has lip sync issues, handshake issues and won't even play all of my discs.
J

I wonder if that's a BD problem or a Samsung problem? I've never gotten good service out of anything with the Samsung name on it that wasn't a cell phone. On the flip side, perhaps the HD DVD problems are not HD DVD, but rather Toshiba. Maybe we'll find out once a company other than Toshiba starts selling large numbers of players.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page