Panny DMP-BD10 help needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just updated my Firmware to 2.0. I'm trying to play 28 Days Later. When the Menu screen comes on, it's in DD. When the movie plays, it's in Pro Logic. I've tried different settings and still the same. Any help? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-19-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
So, are you trying to get the DTS-HD to play or just the DD? How do you have player hooked up to your receiver? If using 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs you need to go into the setup menu of player and turn on the Multichannel outs and you can set the various audio codecs to how they are output. Like either setting DD to bitstream or PCM.

Let me know what your settings are on Panasonic and how you have connected to receiver.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm running an digital coax cable to my pre-amp (Denon AVP-8000, so no DTS). It's set up on Bitstream. Is DD the default on these discs, as the menu only has DTS as an option for English 5.1? Mike, I appreciate the help.

I just tried 28 Weeks Later, same result. If I select French or Spanish 5.1, no problems with DD. What am I missing here to get English DD?
post #4 of 11 Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
^You really should update your FW to the latest (2.4).
Try running analog cables from the Panny to your pre-amp.
This should give you more flexability with your audio selections.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I upgraded to Version 2.4. Same results. A recap on equipment and settings:
Denon AVP-8000
Panny audio out via digital coax (AVP has no 5.1 ins)
Set to Bitstream audio (DD, as AVP has no DTS)
It will play DD on the menu, on the Fox advertisement, in French, or Spanish. In English, it converts to Pro Logic right after the Fox logo.
I've been into Home Theater along time, but this is kicking my you know what.
Any help?
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi Gentzlinger View Post

I upgraded to Version 2.4. Same results. A recap on equipment and settings:
Denon AVP-8000
Panny audio out via digital coax (AVP has no 5.1 ins)
Set to Bitstream audio (DD, as AVP has no DTS)
It will play DD on the menu, on the Fox advertisement, in French, or Spanish. In English, it converts to Pro Logic right after the Fox logo.
I've been into Home Theater along time, but this is kicking my you know what.
Any help?

Which Fox disc are you trying? Many of the older Fox titles don't have a secondary English DD 5.1 track, only spanish and French. Silver Surfer does have an English DD 5.1 track. I tried it in my player and it worked correctly. What might be happening since your receiver doesn't have DTS capabilites, the player might be converting it to two channel PCM and allowing the receiver to apply PL.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Jodi,

Sorry, I was away. Here is what to do: Run Setup on the 10a and make sure under Easy Setup you have Multichannel selected. You will then see your speaker setup where you can pick speaker size and make sure sub is On. Then under Audio and then Digital Audio Output set PCM DownConversion to Off, Set Dolby Digital to bitstream, set Dolby Digital Plus\\Dolby TrueHD to PCM, set DTS to bitstream, and set DTS-HD to PCM. You will then let your receiver decode the Dolby Digital and DTS via digital coax and the 10a will decode the DD+, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD and it will be ouput via the analog outs of the 10a to the analog ins of your receiver. You could also let the 10a decode everything by setting everything to PCM but I know my Denon receiver does a better job with DD & DTS than the 10a does.

Your receiver does have analog ins, correct?

Update: I JUST NOTICED YOU SAID YOUR AVP HAS NO ANALOG INS. Like the previous poster said certain Fox titles have no DD track, it just then plays back the DTS core. You will need to set everything to bitstream on the 10a. I think that is why the Fox titles are causing havoc because if your receiver doesn't decode the DTS bitstream and you have no analog ins its going to 2-channel. I think its time for a new receiver.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
teachsac......

I had an AVP 8000 and although it was an amazing unit for for its time it has simply become an old peice of gear.There was a newer unit that did DTS but mine was an older unit like yours. And of course no 5.1 analog in.

It does do plane jane DD but with today's new HD formats weather it be HD DVD or BR you will never be able to enjoy what these formats have to offer. Even via SPDIF or Optical HD DVD units put out a core DTS signal which you machine doesn't recognize....BR I think puts out core DD but not always.And while there is PCM and Bitstream options I am pretty sure you are still up the creek without a paddle.

There is a very good article on all the new HD formats and how they are processed here:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Explained/1064

I hate to say it pal but I think its time to retire the old gal.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sorry....this response ws meant for Jodi.....my bad.

But teachsac you are welcomed to read it.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano View Post

Sorry....this response ws meant for Jodi.....my bad.

But teachsac you are welcomed to read it.

No Problem ;o) Without the ability to do DTS and no Standard DD secondary track on a lot of Fox titles, (and even the new MGM title Mr. Brooks) there's really nothing to do but upgrade to a new receiver. No way to even get a core track with these titles.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #11 of 11 Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM

One thing I have noticed is that if you have an HDMI cable hooked up to a TV set and are trying to run the audio out into a seperate audio receiver, you may have to go into the Panny menu and disengage the audio out through the HDMI. I had to do that on my system before any multi channel audio came out of my stereo's speakers. Prior to that, I only got 2 channel.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page