Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4488 Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

If they are encrypting it locally you won't be able to pull it out without some extra hacking expertise. Just buy the BD and rip the 1080p version for back-up. Downloadable content is going to take some time since just like RIAA the movie studios are very protective of their content. Until something better gets worked out, we'll be stuck with mediocre downloadable movies. Non-DRM based content would be ideal, but I doubt that will happen.

-Splints

Hacking takes too much effort, if I PAID for the movie [i.e. download via PS3 store)] there needs to be some level of protection to my purchase - ability to off-load it to a BR/DVD would be ideal, since as I think I mentioned, it makes it easy to watch on other TV's in the house.

If you buy a movie, then delete it from the drive [for space reasons], are you able to download it again (unlimited download) for that movie? That would at least address the crash/recovery issue regarding the $$$ investment in buying them this way. I love the convenience it offers, but the downsides overwhelmingly out-weigh the upsides until they get it downloadable faster (not Sony's fault, the internet industry still sucks for internet speeds in the US for bandwidth per dollar spent, its high-price at lower speeds, capping in most cases around 10meg down/1-2meg up [often not getting the full bandwidth either that you paid for)).

Anyways, so I guess its buy at your own risk style, if your drive crashes you have to buy it again? No thanks, I'll pass on that market setup. Already bought enough of the same titles on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and "special/collector's editions", but at least I can play them on any TV in the house without disconnecting my A/V gear and relocating it to another room to do it.

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4488 Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

Hacking takes too much effort, if I PAID for the movie [i.e. download via PS3 store)] there needs to be some level of protection to my purchase - ability to off-load it to a BR/DVD would be ideal, since as I think I mentioned, it makes it easy to watch on other TV's in the house.

If you buy a movie, then delete it from the drive [for space reasons], are you able to download it again (unlimited download) for that movie? That would at least address the crash/recovery issue regarding the $$$ investment in buying them this way. I love the convenience it offers, but the downsides overwhelmingly out-weigh the upsides until they get it downloadable faster (not Sony's fault, the internet industry still sucks for internet speeds in the US for bandwidth per dollar spent, its high-price at lower speeds, capping in most cases around 10meg down/1-2meg up [often not getting the full bandwidth either that you paid for)).

Anyways, so I guess its buy at your own risk style, if your drive crashes you have to buy it again? No thanks, I'll pass on that market setup. Already bought enough of the same titles on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and "special/collector's editions", but at least I can play them on any TV in the house without disconnecting my A/V gear and relocating it to another room to do it.

I agree...d/ling looks to be a good deal for Sony not the consumer(unless they protect your d/l availablity
post #273 of 4488 Old 09-24-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Welcome to the world of digital downloads, gentlemen.

But back to our regularly scheduled program...
post #274 of 4488 Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post

A couple of questions from a new PS3 owner:

Regarding the Bluetooth remote control, how do I change the settings so that only one button turns the PS3 on? ATM, any button powers it up. Annoying when you accidentally sit on the remote and the PS3 turns on when not needed!

Also, how do I remove extra users that have been created?

I have noticed that the PS3 does not appear to play movies in their full aspect ratio. I have a good understanding of the technicalities involved, but I'm sure the PS is cropping the sides of the frame slightly compared to my Pioneer DV-696 upscaling player. Does the Pioneer overscan slightly where the PS3 does not? Then again, I could be imagining things...

Thanks in advance!

Suggestions or help anyone?

Mike, Oz
post #275 of 4488 Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post

Suggestions or help anyone?

Mike, Oz

I don't think you can change any settings regarding the BT Remote power-up. All the buttons will activate it.

To remove additional user accounts I believe you just press the triangle button on the user icon account in question and it will give you the option to delete it.

As far as aspect ratios, the PS3 will play everything in it's intended aspect ratio as long as you don't have DVD Upscaling set to "full" or "double scale." And with Blu-rays, they should always play in their OAR. If they aren't, it's possibly a display setting that's changing things for that particular input.

Brandon
post #276 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I don't think you can change any settings regarding the BT Remote power-up. All the buttons will activate it.

To remove additional user accounts I believe you just press the triangle button on the user icon account in question and it will give you the option to delete it.

As far as aspect ratios, the PS3 will play everything in it's intended aspect ratio as long as you don't have DVD Upscaling set to "full" or "double scale." And with Blu-rays, they should always play in their OAR. If they aren't, it's possibly a display setting that's changing things for that particular input.

Brandon

Thanks mate!

Mike, Oz
post #277 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Can I run these two connections simultaneously? HDMI out to Receiver and the analog multi connection to the TV. reason being is my friend's child can then insert a disc and turn on TV and watch movie himself. When the parents want to watch a movie they can turn on the avr and get the beneit of that connection. Nobody in the household is AV savvy and Im trying to keep it simple. Many thanks
post #278 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHT View Post

Can I run these two connections simultaneously? HDMI out to Receiver and the analog multi connection to the TV. reason being is my friend's child can then insert a disc and turn on TV and watch movie himself. When the parents want to watch a movie they can turn on the avr and get the beneit of that connection. Nobody in the household is AV savvy and Im trying to keep it simple. Many thanks

You can run the connections, but only one will work at a time. This is how I have mine set up, but I have to switch the audio out to HDMI for my use and then switch it back when I'm done so that the boys can just use the TV.
post #279 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

Thank you BstFan.

Is there a way to do analog and optical at the same time? (or analog and HDMI) Switching settings on the PS3 was overwhelming to them. The only solution i can think of is an HDMI splitter but thats not cheap.

thanks
post #280 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:

So, if you're stupid enough to download a movie [which you paid $15 or more for to own], you're stuck with only being able to play it on the PS3? That TOTALLY sucks, not to mention no way to back up what you purchased in-case the drive crashes?

From Slashdot: "When purchasing movies, [PSN] users are allowed just one download — even if they delete the movie to make space and want to download it again on the same machine."

Quote:

Its an SATA drive, I suppose you could rip out the hard drive and run norton ghost on it every once in a while and store the drive image on a backup drive, but that would suck to have to go to all the trouble.

If Ghost doesn't know how to handle the volume, you can probably put it in a Linux box and use the "dd" command to make a backup.
post #281 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHT View Post

Thank you BstFan.

Is there a way to do analog and optical at the same time? (or analog and HDMI) Switching settings on the PS3 was overwhelming to them. The only solution i can think of is an HDMI splitter but thats not cheap.

thanks

HDMI splitter won't work unless you have a special TV. Most TVs can't decode DD5.1 over HDMI only PCM2.0.

The solution is to buy a Harmony remote. A monkey can press the actvity button to watch media using the AVR. For my system with the Harmony remote, using the system with the AVR is just as easy as a using my upstairs PS3 and TV.
post #282 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

From Slashdot: "When purchasing movies, [PSN] users are allowed just one download even if they delete the movie to make space and want to download it again on the same machine."

If Ghost doesn't know how to handle the volume, you can probably put it in a Linux box and use the "dd" command to make a backup.

Guess I'll never use the download/purchase from Sony then.

post #283 of 4488 Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Guess I'll never use the download/purchase from Sony then.

Personally, I can't imagine purchasing movies this way from any of the download services. Rentals? Sure. That seems to be an obvious sweet spot.
post #284 of 4488 Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept View Post

Personally, I can't imagine purchasing movies this way from any of the download services. Rentals? Sure. That seems to be an obvious sweet spot.

Same here. Rentals from Sony or the iTMS (or Unbox or CinemaNow or wherever), no problem. Purchases? No thanks.
post #285 of 4488 Old 09-27-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Same here. Rentals from Sony or the iTMS (or Unbox or CinemaNow or wherever), no problem. Purchases? No thanks.

I believe that any video download service (Sony or otherwise) without a means to archive the video is simply the same as a video on demand service with a DVR. I can do that now with my Directv DVR and for the most recent movies the Directv service is priced similar to a video rental or a PPV movie viewing. If Sony would allow the PS3 user to copy the downloaded video to an external hard drive connected via USB that would be one way of allowing for archiving without a hardware change to the PS3.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #286 of 4488 Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the current PS3 firmware have any issues I should be concerned about? I plan on uploading it today and would like to hear about any issues first. Everything is working so well for me at the moment I hate to mess it up.

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you" - Jack Bauer
post #287 of 4488 Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still on 2.40 and don't see any reason to switch at this point.

2.4x Firmware thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ersion&page=15
post #288 of 4488 Old 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM

I linked my PSP with my PS3 lastnight just to see its functionality. Although it was nifty to see my PS3 screen on my PSP, I'm still not seeing why you would ever really need/want to do this because you still have to link via USB if you want to xfer stuff back n forth.

post #289 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I linked my PSP with my PS3 lastnight just to see its functionality. Although it was nifty to see my PS3 screen on my PSP, I'm still not seeing why you would ever really need/want to do this because you still have to link via USB if you want to xfer stuff back n forth.

seascape, can you control the PS3 from the PSP.
It would be cool to use this instead of turning on my PJ everytime.
post #290 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

seascape, can you control the PS3 from the PSP.
It would be cool to use this instead of turning on my PJ everytime.

Yes, it emulates the PS3 on the PSP screen. The non-HD resolution games I was able to play on the PSP also. The HD res ones wouldn't load on the PSP b/c the PSP isn't Hi-Def 720/1080.

When you set it up, it becomes a network you can connect too. The PS3 has a setting to 'automatically turn on PS3 when connecting via remote PSP' too. When you connect you get two options, connect via local access-point or connect via internet [which you then have to log-in with your PSN-ID] if you use the internet [such as logging in to it from a WiFi HotSpot (i.e. starbucks coffee store)

post #291 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Does anyone know if you can load pictures on the PS3's internal hard drive? I know you can display pix, but I don't know if you can actually store them. I'd like to add about 10 gigs worth of pictures to the PS3 that I'm planning to purchase, but I'm not sure if this can actually be done.
post #292 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Does anyone know if you can load pictures on the PS3's internal hard drive? I know you can display pix, but I don't know if you can actually store them. I'd like to add about 10 gigs worth of pictures to the PS3 that I'm planning to purchase, but I'm not sure if this can actually be done.

Sure. You can copy them from a networked computer, from a drive plugged into a PS3 USB port, or from a disc.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #293 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks rdclark. What I found VERY misleading on the Sony website is the fact that it says the 80gig PS3 still has 4 USB ports and a card reader. I just got home with the 80gig unit and it has only 2 USB ports and no memory card reader. You'd think they'd update that site!
post #294 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks rdclark. What I found VERY misleading on the Sony website is the fact that it says the 80gig PS3 still has 4 USB ports and a card reader. I just got home with the 80gig unit and it has only 2 USB ports and no memory card reader. You'd think they'd update that site!

There are two 80GB models currently in production; one offers no PS2 backward compatibility (yours), the other offers support for many PS2 games and has 4 USB ports. The unit I purchased yesterday includes MGS4 and has 4 USB ports, a card reader, and contains specific verbiage on the outside of the box regarding PS2 game compatibility.
post #295 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

I was disappointed on it not having a card reader too, but compensated by using my PSP as the card reader.

post #296 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:

Where did you find the outdated information? I just went to the Sony Style site and they only have information on the new 80GB unit that only has the 2 USB ports, no card reader, no SACD playback, and no PS2 game compatibility:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665513567

This is the model that just replaced the similarly configured 40GB unit. It is also the coolest running of any PS3 to date.

There was an older 80GB unit shipping in July bundled with the Metal Gear Solid 4 game. It used the older, hotter-running electronics, had 4 USB ports, could play SACD discs, and included PS2 game backwards compatibility. I steer people away from that unit because it runs hot enough that the fan might have to kick in when playing Blu-Ray discs.

I believe the older 80GB MGS4 bundle is still being sold in some outlets.

[There was an even OLDER 80GB model that was discontinued back in January of this year. And there will likely be additional model configurations between now and Christmas. Keeping track of these models is a problem.]

ETA: OK I think I see what you found:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/specs

And yup, they haven't distinguished between the two models of 80GB PS3. The main page for the current, $399 80GB PS3 model does say it only has two USB ports, but the specs page gives conflicting information. Silly Sony!

ETA 2: Sheesh! The TOP TWO Frequently Asked Questions in Sony's PS3 FAQ section have to do with this confusion!

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/faq

And with all that they STILL haven't clarified that SACD playback only exists in the older 80GB model!

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #297 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Sony needs to do a better job of distinguishing the PS3 models from one another. Now that the former 40gig comes with an 80gig hard drive, coinfusion reigns. As you say, even on their own site the information is inconsistent.

Be happy. The unit you bought is the best one for Bly-ray playback, which is why we're all here.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #298 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

ETA: OK I think I see what you found:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/specs

And yup, they haven't distinguished between the two models of 80GB PS3. The main page for the current, $399 80GB PS3 model does say it only has two USB ports, but the specs page gives conflicting information. Silly Sony!

ETA 2: Sheesh! The TOP TWO Frequently Asked Questions in Sony's PS3 FAQ section have to do with this confusion!

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/faq

And with all that they STILL haven't clarified that SACD playback only exists in the older GB model!

--Bob

You got it Mr. Bobster! I was just about to post that link. Isn't it amazing? But you are 100% correct about it being cooler running. I noticed my son's unit (the older 80gig model) was much noisier! So I'd have to decide between a cooler running, less noisy unit without a card reader (I could care less about backward compatibility) and a hotter, noisier unit that does have the card reader.

I'm thinking I'll stick with what I've got! If need be I can always add a card reader. When you listen to this unit you scratch your head and ask why anyone would call these 'noisy'.

Now what's interesting Bob, is the networking feature of the PS3 works much much better than it does in the Pioneer receiver or the Pioneer Kuro for that matter. I'm able to see thumbnails of all the pictures on my network which were not availalbe on the SC-05 Elite. It's also quicker, but still somewhat slow (wirelessly). So I'll probably add my 10gigs worth of pictures directly to the hard drive.

Haven't checked out the BD drive yet.
post #299 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrumm View Post

The unit I purchased yesterday includes MGS4 and has 4 USB ports, a card reader, and contains specific verbiage on the outside of the box regarding PS2 game compatibility.

Interesting. The one I bought was the only 80gig unit I saw. Where did you see the older one? I'm still thinking I'll stick with the new one since it's really just for BR playback & picture display.
post #300 of 4488 Old 09-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:

You got it Mr. Bobster! I was just about to post that link. Isn't it amazing? But you are 100% correct about it being cooler running. I noticed my son's unit (the older 80gig model) was much noisier! So I'd have to decide between a cooler running, less noisy unit without a card reader (I could care less about backward compatibility) and a hotter, noisier unit that does have the card reader.

I'm thinking I'll stick with what I've got! If need be I can always add a card reader. When you listen to this unit you scratch your head and ask why anyone would call these 'noisy'.

Now what's interesting Bob, is the networking feature of the PS3 works much much better than it does in the Pioneer receiver or the Pioneer Kuro for that matter. I'm able to see thumbnails of all the pictures on my network which were not availalbe on the SC-05 Elite. It's also quicker, but still somewhat slow (wirelessly). So I'll probably add my 10gigs worth of pictures directly to the hard drive.

Haven't checked out the BD drive yet.

There are cheap/tiny USB 2.0 SD card readers that are not much bigger than a USB plug and a little frame for holding the card. Sandisk makes one. Or you could just use a USB thumb drive. And if you ever find you want more than 2 USB sockets, you can use a USB hub.

The 80GB you got (the one with 2 USB sockets) has a max power consumption rating that's A FULL 100 WATTS LESS than the 80GB your son has.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page