Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 4480 Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Not sure I understand your question. Do you mean having the receiver and the TV(s) on the output side of the splitter? I don't have a receiver that decodes from HDMI in this location. I use the TOS link from the PS3 out to the receiver in the main area and only use the TV speakers on the other two devices connected. The TOS link provides Dolby or DTS to the receiver as expected in this case.

Much like the way the device negotiates resolution down based on what is connected, I would logically assume it would do the same for the sound. However, it may work if you go from the PS3 to the receiver for decode and then from the receiver to the splitter to the TV(s). Just guessing on this however.

That's what I thought as well. Adding HDMI splitter for PS3 output won't resolve my issue since it won't pass full HD audio to the receiver when the PS3 senses it's connected also to the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
@kodok - not sure if you have the 'older' PS3 or the new Slim. I have the older which does not support HD audio via bitstream so I am able to play PS3 3D games and get HD audio by using my 4 x 2 switch but since the PS3 doesn't support HD audio for BD 3D's I use the bitstream.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3693 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

@kodok - not sure if you have the 'older' PS3 or the new Slim. I have the older which does not support HD audio via bitstream so I am able to play PS3 3D games and get HD audio by using my 4 x 2 switch but since the PS3 doesn't support HD audio for BD 3D's I use the bitstream.

Wryker - I have the slim version of PS3. I wonder if there is an option for me to do bitstream with the slim version.

Thanks.
post #3694 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodok View Post

Wryker - I have the slim version of PS3. I wonder if there is an option for me to do bitstream with the slim version.

Thanks.

I know some Slims can output HD audio via bitstream and if yours is one, than a splitter should work for you.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3695 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 AM

Netflix streaming now shows on the XMB and needed an update already. I assume it was installed with the last update and "Turned itself on" today.

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #3696 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm 99% sure that all PS3 slims support this. I replaced my fat PS3 just for that reason.
post #3697 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tested out the new Netflix app this morning.

Pros:
- MUCH better UI
- No disc required

Cons:
- Did not give me 5.1 (astroboy for my kids... probably should have 5.1?)
- Controls are different; Not sure what resolution it was because the Triangle button doesn't seem to work as it does in all other videos

Definitely worth it just for the lack of disc alone, and the new UI is just gravy.
post #3698 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
is the new UI better than the Xbox UI? Xbox is just so smooth, hard to believe it could be a better experience - but we shall see tonight
post #3699 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Tested out the new Netflix app this morning.

Pros:
- MUCH better UI
- No disc required

Cons:
- Did not give me 5.1 (astroboy for my kids... probably should have 5.1?)
- Controls are different; Not sure what resolution it was because the Triangle button doesn't seem to work as it does in all other videos

Definitely worth it just for the lack of disc alone, and the new UI is just gravy.

Just tried it. It appears to have 5.1 at least there was sound out of surrounds. Can't attest to whether it was actually 5.1 or not yet. I could not exit out of netflix however. I had to shut down the PS3 to standby and restart to get back to the XMB screen. Anybody else have that problem?
post #3700 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Just tried it. It appears to have 5.1 at least there was sound out of surrounds. Can't attest to whether it was actually 5.1 or not yet. I could not exit out of netflix however. I had to shut down the PS3 to standby and restart to get back to the XMB screen. Anybody else have that problem?

If you hit the PS button, it should bump you out to the XMB with the option to Quit Netflix selected. Just hit the X button there and it'll quit.
post #3701 of 4480 Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

is the new UI better than the Xbox UI? Xbox is just so smooth, hard to believe it could be a better experience - but we shall see tonight

Tough call, it might take some use to determine which is better. It does have a search function which alone makes it better than the xbox UI, and also I like the way movies are browsed better... 3 colums of rows instead of one long row, so it's easier to browse the movies and quickly get to the one you want.

I think I like it better but I have the feeling that the upcoming Xbox update will have some improvements in store.
post #3702 of 4480 Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Every single title I tried shows as 1080p. Is this a setting somewhere? Or did Sony just set the app to play at xmb setting ie autoupscale.
post #3703 of 4480 Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM

I just sold my Big Fat PS3 to get a new one that supports HD-audio bitstreaming.

The question is which one should I get?

I read that the slim ps3 is the one.

Just to be sure any PS3 2010 models (160GB and 320GB MOVE) supports bitstraming or just the 2009 slim model version?

thank you!
post #3704 of 4480 Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
All the Slim models support bitstreaming of the HD audio codecs.

Brandon
post #3705 of 4480 Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM

thanks a lot brandon.

Any word from Sony on new PS3 with hdmi 1.4 that supports HD audio with
3D blu-rays?
post #3706 of 4480 Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Having an issue with my PS3 that's starting to worry me. When I got my 120 gig Slim I noticed that some of the PS3 game demos would load to a black screen and the only way to exit out would be to do a manual shutdown from the front of the system. Seemed to be just certain titles. I would still get the audio, just no picture. Recently a demo I've had working previously only loads to a black screen. I've noticed that each of the demos that don't have video come up as 720p on my Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP. Apparently this is becoming even more of an issue now as very few demos will run. Anyone have a clue what might be going on? I've looked online and can't seem to find any solid info as to what's the issue.
post #3707 of 4480 Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Looks to me it may be a video option under system settings.

Something like that happend to me and I just reset the video settings to default and start from there.

Try everything on auto/default and give it a try.

Turn off 24 hz, etc.. leave everything on auto and check it out.

Hope that helps.
post #3708 of 4480 Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

You can also remove your receiver from the equation if you have one... it might be having trouble passing the signal.
post #3709 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM

So I got the Netflix app a few days ago. Tried it out, and found it to be a little glitchy, crashing 3 times while I tried to explore and play a few different movies, but mostly acceptable. I just flipped the PS3 on to watch something after not touching it fr a few days, and I can only get an error message - "We're unable to connect you to Netflix. Please try gain later."

I just noticed that I can't access Netflix watch it now through my laptop, either, so maybe this is just a Netflix issue and not a PS3 issue.

Since I'm here, has anyone gotten a good feel for the non-disc interface? I much preferred working through the disc, only because it seemed a lot faster. When it worked, the XMB interface seemed ok, but I still prefer the size and layout of the disc interface.
post #3710 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil98 View Post

So I got the Netflix app a few days ago. Tried it out, and found it to be a little glitchy, crashing 3 times while I tried to explore and play a few different movies, but mostly acceptable. I just flipped the PS3 on to watch something after not touching it fr a few days, and I can only get an error message - "We're unable to connect you to Netflix. Please try gain later."

I just noticed that I can't access Netflix watch it now through my laptop, either, so maybe this is just a Netflix issue and not a PS3 issue.

Since I'm here, has anyone gotten a good feel for the non-disc interface? I much preferred working through the disc, only because it seemed a lot faster. When it worked, the XMB interface seemed ok, but I still prefer the size and layout of the disc interface.

Yes, Netflix appears to be down right now, or at best, intermittent. I can't get to their website either.
post #3711 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

Yes, Netflix appears to be down right now, or at best, intermittent. I can't get to their website either.

Netflix down for my PS3 and computer but works on the Tivo.....??? Now that's just weird

Laters,
Mikef5
post #3712 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Netflix down for my PS3 and computer but works on the Tivo.....??? Now that's just weird

Laters,
Mikef5

It is intermittent, so you may have caught it at a good moment on your TiVo.
post #3713 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched 2 episodes of MythBusters so if it's intermittent then it's a long intermittent and I tried the PS3 and web first before going to the Tivo. But what the heck, if it works then it works

Laters,
Mikef5
post #3714 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 PM

To follow up with the HDMI splitter, I get myself Monoprice 1x2 HDMI splitter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) and it works very well. I use the splitter to feed my TV and my AV Receiver and now I can get full HD Audio to my receiver.

Thanks again for all your help.
post #3715 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodok View Post

To follow up with the HDMI splitter, I get myself Monoprice 1x2 HDMI splitter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) and it works very well. I use the splitter to feed my TV and my AV Receiver and now I can get full HD Audio to my receiver.

Thanks again for all your help.

Darn! it failed in my system twice! I was only passing 2 channels to my receiver

2 channels to TV, no issue of course!
post #3716 of 4480 Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 PM

ps3 no sound on main menu or when i play music saved to the hard drive and most netflix movies no sound. When i play a blu ray i have full sound i have a fat 40 gig. I reset default settings but nothings changed problem started after netflix update. thanks
post #3717 of 4480 Old 10-22-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Everything seemed to be back up by about 9pm Eastern last night. I watched a full movie w/ one stoppage requiring a "try again" button press to restart play.

After a little more exploring and experimentation, I have decided that I definitely preferred the old interface. Maybe my 46" screen is too small, sitting 12 feet away, but the multiple rows of movie posters are so small that I need to scroll onto each poster to get the title pop up. Without the pop up, I can't recognize what 50% of the movies are, because I don't know the artwork, and can't read the title. For my queue, that wouldn't be so bad, because I know what's in there, but if the idea is to bring other available movies to my attention, then forcing me to scroll over each one just to read what it is seems to be missing the point.

I don't suppose anyone has found an options menu for those that don't like to squint at their TV?
post #3718 of 4480 Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everything seemed to be back up by about 9pm Eastern last night. I watched a full movie w/ one stoppage requiring a "try again" button press to restart play.

After a little more exploring and experimentation, I have decided that I definitely preferred the old interface. Maybe my 46" screen is too small, sitting 12 feet away, but the multiple rows of movie posters are so small that I need to scroll onto each poster to get the title pop up. Without the pop up, I can't recognize what 50% of the movies are, because I don't know the artwork, and can't read the title. For my queue, that wouldn't be so bad, because I know what's in there, but if the idea is to bring other available movies to my attention, then forcing me to scroll over each one just to read what it is seems to be missing the point.

I don't suppose anyone has found an options menu for those that don't like to squint at their TV?

Prescription glasses, or a bigger TV!
post #3719 of 4480 Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Darn! it failed in my system twice! I was only passing 2 channels to my receiver

2 channels to TV, no issue of course!

It passes sound (bitstream or linear PCM) no problem on both, but I might speak to early. Few dropouts (either audio/sound) while playing games just straight to TV w/ my AV receiver off. I will monitor it for a while with combination of games/movies. If it's really frequent then, I might have to return it.

Btw, I have Sony TV and Sony AV Receiver if it helps.
post #3720 of 4480 Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be honest, I haven't used it much yet. I did watch a movie and was generally pleased with the PQ. As for the GUI, I used the disc version only very rarely as I used my TiVo HD most of the time.

So far I am fine with the new disc-free GUI, but I am sitting about 14' away from a 58" plasma.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page