Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
there is no setting in a p s 3 that will cause it to render 5.1 dolby digital via hdmi in all cases? after all, that is really all I need to know I will handle the rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

there is no setting in a p s 3 that will cause it to render 5.1 dolby digital via hdmi in all cases? after all, that is really all I need to know I will handle the rest

That is CORRECT there is no setting in this configuration which will change things.

My 1st answer was correct - you need a new AVR - that is the one you
should be angry with for not handling 3D Video.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW - it has nothing to do with your TV's ability to handle DD 5.1.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

That is CORRECT there is no setting in this configuration which will change things.

My 1st answer was correct - you need a new AVR - that is the one you
should be angry with for not handling 3D Video.

Or you can run the hdmi directly to the tv and a optical cable to the receiver.
Or buy a panasonic bluray player 310.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

Or you can run the hdmi directly to the tv and a optical cable to the receiver.
Or buy a panasonic bluray player 310.

OH NO - you gave BigBrain two correct answers.

Neither of those were settings he can change in the PS3

But that only gets him 5.1 with Answer #1.

He would need Answer #2 to get High-Def Audio.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

OH NO - you gave BigBrain two correct answers.

Neither of those were settings he can change in the PS3

But that only gets him 5.1 with Answer #1.

He would need Answer #2 to get High-Def Audio.

I'll go with #2 too, I hate the loud noise the ps3 makes when playing movies, specially in the summer, it sounds like a airplaine is passing by .

Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll go with #2 too, I hate the loud noise the ps3 makes when playing movies, specially in the summer, it sounds like a airplaine is passing by .

I prefer #2 Answer as well because my Anthem D2 Pre/Pro does not pass 3D video.

I use the Oppo for that reason with 2 HDMI outputs.

I own (3) PS3s and I never hear any of them
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Wow. I'm sorry if I find it difficult to get the answer to the actual question instead of advice on how its all wrong. I'm sorry that I cannot make it clear that my tv does actually pass dd from input hdmi sources, contrary to your generalized statement. my intent is not to be 'that guy' I do read the manual, I do the research and then I ask questions. I simply do not appreciate being told I am wrong or unaware when I am in fact not. please look up kdlnx720 if you do not believe me. I am fully aware this is not an ideal connection scenario. I simply asked the best way to make the best of it knowing that my tv will pass dolby digital from any and all sources not just the internal tuner

Really? Research means drawing the correct conclusions from the facts, not justifying your incorrect premise.
Quote:

I was under the impression that whatever I pushed INTO the TV via HDMI would come back out (passed-thru) via the optical out from the TV (At least 5.1 of some flavor). I popped in "How do you Know?" a rom-com from netflix on blu-ray, using the PS3 Slim (hdmi>tv>opt>avr) and all I got was a stereo signal. No amount of jiggering changed this - Changed the HDMI output settings in the PS3 menu turning off just about every audio type except the bare minimums. Switched between bitstream and PCM... But never got more than 2-Channel to the AVR.

I put in TRON:Legacy 3D (which ONLY offers English as 7.1 Master in the settings!?) and that *seemed* to output 2 channels (L&R lit up in my avr display) but there was a sense that L&R were there but it wasn't stereo - ie, as if it was 5/7.1 and the other channels simply didn't convey, voices were absent like the center channel was intended but missing.

I put in the DVD of The Incredibles (into the Ps3) to use the THX Optimizer and it seemed to confirm that 2 Channels were all my AVR was getting - I again swapped Bitstream/PCM and was able to get 5.1 (and it displayed in the AVR display as 5.1). But I didn't have the same luck when I went back to Blu Ray of TRON...

My assumption was that the PS3 was not down sampling the encoded streams to some 5.1 flavor that either the TV could pass thru, or that the AVR didn't like the stream as provided by the TV/PS3. But I was unable to sort out the correct settings to accommodate the set up.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I do want a new avr, granted, but its not going to be today, sadly. I just got home and set the ps3's HDMI output to include only;
DD 5.1
DD plus
Dts 4.1
And several kHz of linear pcm in 2.1 and 5.1 varieties

In tested Tron again and only got 2 channel pcm - the disc does not include a 5.1 track, and my avr cannot decode the 7.1 master anyway. However, any other source disc with a dts or DD fallback track does actually send 6 discrete channels from the ps3 to the TV and back out to the avr as lpcm. So no, I still cannot get the ps3 to dumb down the hbr track to 5.1, but so far Tron is the only disc like this..

All that being said, what avr do you think will serve the need for the next six years?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Really? Research means drawing the correct conclusions from the facts, not justifying your incorrect premise.

Can you clarify this statement for me, please? I have verified through research and positive results that my TV passes 5.1 out regardless of source input, was I unclear in that assessment?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All that being said, what avr do you think will serve the need for the next six years?

My Two Cent recommendation is to spend $180 for a Panasonic DMP-BDT310.

You will get 3D Video and High-Def Audio
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Can you clarify this statement for me, please? I have verified through research and positive results that my TV passes 5.1 out regardless of source input, was I unclear in that assessment?

All you've presented was your presumption that you can get 5.1 out of the TV from an HDMI source, but everything you've written has told a different story: that you can only get two channels. If you have gotten 5.1 output from your TV, what was your source? What was the format?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM

You all are being b@$tards to bigbrain28. Where is the helpful atmosphere we strive for in these forums?

Good luck bigbrain28
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 136
At the risk of entering a war zone...

The S/PDIF protocol used with optical is limited to stereo PCM. So, no matter what TV is being used, the optical output will never be multichannel PCM.

Some TVs will pass DD 5.1 from HDMI inputs. However, the vast majority of BDs, including Tron: Legacy, have DTS tracks. I am not aware of any TVs that pass DTS from HDMI inputs. So, the best you will get running a DTS source through a TV is stereo PCM.

I have seen a number of posts from people who report the Tron: Legacy dts-MA 7.1 track does not properly downmix to to a 5.1 PCM output. Lots of people using a variety of equipment report they can only get stereo.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hddvd, ps3, xbox and a wd media player all HDMI into tv and out optical to receiver all produce 5.1 Dolby digital on my rec. As long as DD can be passed via HDmi I, I can pass it on to the avr
Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Some TVs pass DD 5.1. If yours does, that's good for non-DTS sources. But, if you want discrete 5.1 from most Blu-rays, you'll need to connect your PS3 directly to your receiver instead of routing audio through the TV.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Some TVs pass DD 5.1. If yours does, that's good for non-DTS sources. But, if you want discrete 5.1 from most Blu-rays, you'll need to connect your PS3 directly to your receiver instead of routing audio through the TV.

Agreed. New avr on the short list.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

A new AVR is always a good idea. But, you can get excellent surround with your current equipment by running optical from the PS3 to the AVR.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware 3.72 is now available for download.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Liked: 17
I recently purchased a PS3 and hooked it up directly to a Panasonic plasma 720p HDTV via HDMI cable and had no issues with setting it up. I decided that I wanted to move the PS3 to my basement, where I have an older Sony projection 720p HDTV. I want to run it through my Denon 2112ci (via HDMI) and to my TV (also via HDMI).

I set everything up last night and the OSD of the Denon can be seen/heard on my TV as well as my Wii, which I also hooked up (Component video in to the AVR, HDMI out to the TV). When I powered up the PS3, the picture was jumbled with black, green and red lines and a message on the TV said something like format not supported, check device settings: I think this message was coming from my TV.

I tried to hook up the PS3 directly to the TV via HDMI, bypassing the AVR and it was a blank screen. I tried to hook up the PS3 directly to my TV via component video (using a cable I used to use with my PS2) and it was a blank screen.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but the HDMI cable from the PS3 to the AVR is a new, high-speed, 3D ready cable and the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV is an older cable (around 3 years old).

What I'd like to do is see something on the screen and adjust the PS3 settings to Case 4 as described in the 2nd post in this thread, but I can't get an image on the screen. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can/should do?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

I recently purchased a PS3 and hooked it up directly to a Panasonic plasma 720p HDTV via HDMI cable and had no issues with setting it up. I decided that I wanted to move the PS3 to my basement, where I have an older Sony projection 720p HDTV. I want to run it through my Denon 2112ci (via HDMI) and to my TV (also via HDMI).

I set everything up last night and the OSD of the Denon can be seen/heard on my TV as well as my Wii, which I also hooked up (Component video in to the AVR, HDMI out to the TV). When I powered up the PS3, the picture was jumbled with black, green and red lines and a message on the TV said something like “format not supported, check device settings:” I think this message was coming from my TV.

I tried to hook up the PS3 directly to the TV via HDMI, bypassing the AVR and it was a blank screen. I tried to hook up the PS3 directly to my TV via component video (using a cable I used to use with my PS2) and it was a blank screen.

I’m not sure if this makes a difference or not, but the HDMI cable from the PS3 to the AVR is a new, high-speed, 3D ready cable and the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV is an older cable (around 3 years old).

What I’d like to do is see something on the screen and adjust the PS3 settings to “Case 4” as described in the 2nd post in this thread, but I can’t get an image on the screen. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can/should do?

This happens frequently when MOVING the PS3 around - DO A PS3 RESET ---

Make sure the system is off.
Hold down the Power Button for 5-6 seconds - until you hear the second beep.
That's it, your video settings are reset and you should be able to choose your input and configure it from there.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Liked: 17
Wow, that's easy. I'll give it a try when I go home tonight. Thanks a lot for the information!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

OK, you ALL WIN!! I ordered an Onkyo TX-NR809 today, will be in tomorrow. As much as I hate throwing $ at a problem, we can't escape it with this hobby, can we? And the last word on my original query is that I simply wanted to know if there was a stop-gap setting for the bass-akward set-up I was using - I new it was *not ideal* and got bent out of shape at the suggestion "You oughta know better!" because I do know better. New receiver coming (8 HDMI in 2 out! All HBR Decoders! Weeeee!) problem solved.
Thanks to those who pittied me, and those who jumped on my sh1t, both were actually helpful
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

sounds like you have a heat problem. mine was really loud until I added some thermal controlled 120MM cooling fans to my cabinet. now everything is quiet.

if the PS3 gets warm it kicks into a higher cooling gear and it's loud
Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM

I have a Denon AVR-887, and have it hooked up to my TV via HDMI (monitor). Into the my 887 I have 2 HDMI inputs, a cable box, and a PS3. I have had these 2 components hooked up to the 887 for years, but for the first time I don't have any external speakers for audio, just my TV. I can get audio and video out of my cable input just fine, but for some reason my PS3 won't work. I tried assigning the HDMI input to DVD (the input that accepts the PS3) but still no luck. The only way to see any kind of video for the PS3 is to change the audio out to "AMP" (not TV) but of course if I do that then I don't get any audio.

Is there something I need to do to get the PS3 to register with the Denon receiver to go from EXT IN to Digital, and get audio & video

I can run the Audio from the PS3 to the receiver a number of ways (component, Optical, or HDMI). Can you please help me get this working correctly?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

sounds like you have a heat problem. mine was really loud until I added some thermal controlled 120MM cooling fans to my cabinet. now everything is quiet.

if the PS3 gets warm it kicks into a higher cooling gear and it's loud

I have mine on a open stand, but is still noisy. Specially in the summer. Now my panasonic 110 is quiet like a mouse. For games I don't mind the noise but for movies is a deal breaker.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Couple questions about using my PS3 as my main Blu Ray Player.

1) Am i losing picture quality by using a PS3 instead of a traditional blru ray player? I have noticed that the PQ of some movies is not what i expect it to be.

2) Sometimes when playing a movie, for example, The Dark Knight, the movie displays in full screen 16:9 then all of a suddent changes to bars above and below, then back to 16:9. Any ideas? Is that normal?

Samsung 7000 LED LDC tv
Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugknight View Post

Couple questions about using my PS3 as my main Blu Ray Player.

1) Am i losing picture quality by using a PS3 instead of a traditional blru ray player? I have noticed that the PQ of some movies is not what i expect it to be.

2) Sometimes when playing a movie, for example, The Dark Knight, the movie displays in full screen 16:9 then all of a suddent changes to bars above and below, then back to 16:9. Any ideas? Is that normal?

Samsung 7000 LED LDC tv

PS3 image quality for Bluray has been the studio standard. You are golden...

The Dark Knight has certain scenes filmed with different aspect ratios. It was shown in IMAX. Over 20min of the film were shot with 70mm IMAX cameras.

Quit worrying and enjoy your Blurays on the best and most versatile consumer disc player ever.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM

It appears update 3.73 is available. All I could find on it was, "A new, non-mandatory PS3 firmware update, v3.73, is now available. Stability during use of certain PS3 format software has been improved."
Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I've updated the PS3 FAQ, Post #2 of this thread, to reflect that the current firmware version is 3.73.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3