Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 4488 Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 60" st30. I have hdmi to the tv and optical to my receiver. What should I have my ps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4488 Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM

come again?
post #3963 of 4488 Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM

Sorry, the reply was sent before I was done... What should my ps3 settings be for optimal use with hdmi to my st30 and optical to my receiver? There is no hdmi input on the receiver.
post #3964 of 4488 Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2pannyplasma View Post

Sorry, the reply was sent before I was done... What should my ps3 settings be for optimal use with hdmi to my st30 and optical to my receiver? There is no hdmi input on the receiver.

If you haven't already done so, check out the 2nd post on this thread. Specifically, look at "Case 5" within the Example Configurations section.
post #3965 of 4488 Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
4.0 is out.
post #3966 of 4488 Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

4.0 is out.

Thanks for the heads up on the ver. 4.0 firmware release. I've updated the PS3 FAQ, Post #2 of this thread, to indicate that the latest release if ver. 4.0. Included is the link for the manual download and a discription of what's included in the new firmware (mainly support for connections to Sony new Playstation Vita portable game).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3967 of 4488 Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Liked: 13
great thread.
post #3968 of 4488 Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Can anyone confirm that the 160GB PS3 Harry Potter bundled being sold by Amazon is the CECH-3001A model (or maybe all Happy Potter bundles means 3001 model)? Thanks!
post #3969 of 4488 Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Can anyone confirm that the 160GB PS3 Harry Potter bundled being sold by Amazon is the CECH-3001A model (or maybe all Happy Potter bundles means 3001 model)? Thanks!

What's the difference between the CECH-3001A and the CECH-3001? I just bought the Rachet and Clank/Big Planet bundle a few weeks ago, and I haven't a clue which one I have.
post #3970 of 4488 Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys- just swapped out my PS3 fat for a 160GB Slim (3001A). I changed the option in the menus to set it to Bitstream instead of Linear PCM.

When I play a DTS Master HD blu-ray, my AVR lights up with the DTS Master HD lights and output on the AVR display, showing me that's what it is doing with the audio, as expected.

However when I play back a movie with TrueHD (such as Kung Fu Panda 2) my AVR just says "Dolby Digital".

I know my AVR supports TrueHD and when I send it that from a stand alone Blu-ray player it will light up "TrueHD" during playback. For reference I am using a Yamaha RX-V1800 which is HDMI 1.3a and supports all the HD audio formats.

My Google searches show lots of posts about how the Slim has TrueHD bitstreaming support. But I'm not seeing that in practice. Did it turn out that the Slim doesn't do TrueHD afterall? Or maybe I need to change a different setting?

And if it doesn't really support bitstreaming of TrueHD, am I then better off setting it to LPCM and in that case will the AVR be playing the audio back as TrueHD via LPCM?

Confused... Thanks!
post #3971 of 4488 Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:

Hey guys- just swapped out my PS3 fat for a 160GB Slim (3001A). I changed the option in the menus to set it to Bitstream instead of Linear PCM.

When I play a DTS Master HD blu-ray, my AVR lights up with the DTS Master HD lights and output on the AVR display, showing me that's what it is doing with the audio, as expected.

However when I play back a movie with TrueHD (such as Kung Fu Panda 2) my AVR just says "Dolby Digital".

I know my AVR supports TrueHD and when I send it that from a stand alone Blu-ray player it will light up "TrueHD" during playback. For reference I am using a Yamaha RX-V1800 which is HDMI 1.3a and supports all the HD audio formats.

My Google searches show lots of posts about how the Slim has TrueHD bitstreaming support. But I'm not seeing that in practice. Did it turn out that the Slim doesn't do TrueHD afterall? Or maybe I need to change a different setting?

And if it doesn't really support bitstreaming of TrueHD, am I then better off setting it to LPCM and in that case will the AVR be playing the audio back as TrueHD via LPCM?

Confused... Thanks!

Is that a 3D Kung Fu 2 disk? If so, that is the problem. No TrueHD support for the PS3 as of yet.

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #3972 of 4488 Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon884 View Post

Is that a 3D Kung Fu 2 disk? If so, that is the problem. No TrueHD support for the PS3 as of yet.

Yes indeed! Great call - it is the 3D version. Thank you so much. You saved me from a lot of troubleshooting and confusion!

A few follow up questions please:

1) Just to confirm, the PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD when playing a 3D title? I am confused by this because I thought with bitstreaming the player is not processing any of the data but rather just relaying it as raw data, no?

2) You say "as of yet". Are you assuming they are working on this or is it widely rumored it will be added?

3) If I use Linear PCM instead of Bitstream in the options, would I then be getting the TrueHD output at the receiver (even though it just says PCM)? Or the PS3 simply cannot output any TrueHD with 3D movies regardless of the settings?

Thanks again!
post #3973 of 4488 Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Yes indeed! Great call - it is the 3D version. Thank you so much. You saved me from a lot of troubleshooting and confusion!

A few follow up questions please:

1) Just to confirm, the PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD when playing a 3D title? I am confused by this because I thought with bitstreaming the player is not processing any of the data but rather just relaying it as raw data, no?

2) You say "as of yet". Are you assuming they are working on this or is it widely rumored it will be added?

3) If I use Linear PCM instead of Bitstream in the options, would I then be getting the TrueHD output at the receiver (even though it just says PCM)? Or the PS3 simply cannot output any TrueHD with 3D movies regardless of the settings?

Thanks again!

I was confused by Talon also. I assume he is referring to TrueHD
being converted to PCM.

I AGREE with you - a PS3 SLIM should just bitstream the audio
and NOT PROCESS it.
post #3974 of 4488 Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. For starters I mainly want to know this - can anyone here with a Slim bitstream TrueHD from a 3D movie??

If it definitely cannot for anyone that's ok with me. But if there is an issue with my equipment, setup OT options than I want to address it. Thanks!
post #3975 of 4488 Old 12-17-2011, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again. Tonight I ran a few tests that confirm this.

I put in the 2D version of Kung Fu Panda 2 with bitstreaming enabled and my receiver got TrueHD and showed it with its lights, and the PS3 said in the status bar that it was outputting TrueHD.

With the 3D version of this disc and the 7.1 TrueHD audio selected from the menu I still only get Dolby Digital and the PS3 status bar also only shows Dolby Digital. Even if I change to PCM the PS3 is still only outputing multi channel Dolby Digital, which I assume means there is NO TrueHD support with 3D on the PS3 currently. Just like Talon884 reported.

I did some more digging on this now that I understand the issue. Surprisingly it didn't turn up much. Here are a few sites talking about it for reference:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-594428.html
http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/blu-ray-3d-movie-playback/
post #3976 of 4488 Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not like my PS3 to try and download content when I load a Blu-ray because I am not interested in that and it only slows things down.

In the Video Settings menu in the PS3 there is an option about allowing downloaded content for BDs. The options are only Allow and Prompt. There is no "No" option?

So every time I start up a Blu-ray it prompts me whether I want it to download content and I have to say No each time. It would be a lot nicer if I could tell the system to never download this content so it doesn't bother me with this each time.

Is there any way to do this or a work around? Thanks!
post #3977 of 4488 Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've updated the PS3 FAQ (Post #2 of this thread) to add info on using Sony's Bravia Sync to control a PS3 via a connected Sony HDTV. This information is thanks to forum member mdavej.

Ron Jones
post #3978 of 4488 Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:

I do not like my PS3 to try and download content when I load a Blu-ray because I am not interested in that and it only slows things down.

In the Video Settings menu in the PS3 there is an option about allowing downloaded content for BDs. The options are only Allow and Prompt. There is no "No" option?

So every time I start up a Blu-ray it prompts me whether I want it to download content and I have to say No each time. It would be a lot nicer if I could tell the system to never download this content so it doesn't bother me with this each time.

Is there any way to do this or a work around? Thanks!

I have mine set to "Not" automatically sign in to the PSN on start up and have never been given a promp to download anything when wathing ANY Blu-ray.

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #3979 of 4488 Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have mine set to "Not" automatically sign in to the PSN on start up and have never been given a promp to download anything when wathing ANY Blu-ray.

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely check it out and give it a try. Much appreciated.
post #3980 of 4488 Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Surprised how bad YouTube displays in ps3 vs even something like an apple tv or my hd dvr. Any tricks to make it hd or somehow better?
post #3981 of 4488 Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I originally posted this in "The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread" titled
Can the 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless? (using "fat" PS3 80GB)

However, after doing some digging it is NOT a DENON AVR issue, rather a "bug" or "quirk" of the 2008 "fat" PS3 80gb unit.

Here are my posts in that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Question:

Can the 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless?

I have a "fat" PS3 in my basement HT, circia mid 2008, so to get lossless audio to my 4308CI I use LPCM over the HDMI cable.
Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Audio settings

I have a 7.1 surround set-up, however most blu-rays are "still" 5.1 as we all know .

So, for my cable DD5.1 I've enabled PLIIx, http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iix.html to get 7.1 sound, run it in PLIIx cinema mode.
(I did this 1 year ago... then tried for the PS3 LPCM also and gave up.....so now I try again)

Looking at the owners manual, page 82, it appears the 4308CI can make 7.1 via LPCM using PLIIx from 5.1 lossless, correct?
Others done same?
For some reason, I don't remember seeing that in the onscreen 4308CI menus, yet it's clearly in the owners manual.

post #3982 of 4488 Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Then my follow-up post:
Quote:

Had some time to dig into the "Can the 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless?" issue I posted above.

As stated, on DD 5.1 via non LPCM source material it works fine, this is cable box:
You can see the on LH side DD5.1 is input, and RH side shows 7.1 is delivered to speakers via the PLIIx processing:

and under the audio menu, I can select PLIIx Cinema

Now, the PS3 comes up as follows when initially started, nothing running.
Full 7.1 "possible" via LPCM.

and under the PS3 Audio Settings I have it set this way manually, basically decode everything:

However, I can't select for the back channels how to process them at all if not 7.1 source, it only comes up with "DSCRT ON", which I'm guessing means Discrete On?

This is different than the page 82 led me to believe, or do I have a mis-understanding?

As a test, I put 2 blu-ray's in, first "Up", DTS-HD MA 6.1 (box says 5.1)

Check this out, it porcesses the "6th" channel into 2 for the back wall

Now, Happy Potter Ch 7 Pt 1 is DTS-HD MA 5.1

and is passed along as such, 5.1

So, either I'm reading the table on page 82 wrong.
Top say "input", and I look in the LPCM portion.

post #3983 of 4488 Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

And, the conclusion!
(my conclusion)

It's a bug in the PS3 Audio setting, Automatic works, while manual does not.
Solution: Simple, just select automatic.

Quote:

I sure miss when Denon Jeff used to support for official tech feedback (I do appreciate all the other support from members).....anyway I posted to Denon USA facebook,
Quote:

Tech support question: Can the 2008 model 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless? Reading page 82 of owners manual should be able to. I can do it if source is DD5.1 via PLIIx (audio settings, SB Channel Out), but when tried via LPCM cannot do it. My 2008 "fat" PS3 only passes lossless via HDMI as LPCM. I have a thread on avsforum with more background. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21534801#post21534801

and here was their response
Quote:

You can press the "surround mode" button to select PLIIx which will simulate a surround channel. If you don't automatically get "Dolby D + PLIIx" then double check to make sure AFDM is on under the Parameter menu. You can also check "SB CH Out" also in the Parameter menu, and make sure it's set to "PLIIx Cinema." You also have other options there, such as "MTRX ON" and "NON MTRX," which will also create a surround back channel based on the existing surround channels.

So, coming home tonight I went to the basement and...got it to work, however I am calling this a bug in the "fat" 80gb PS3 itself, read on:
Quote:

Ok, I did what you suggested and still could NOT get PLIIx to work via LPCM over the HDMI from my "fat" 80gb PS3. So, I went into the PS3 Audio Settings, changed it from Manual (where I selected every possible setting) to Automatic. Then, I was able to do it! I can't explain except it is a bug in the PS3, since it passes the exact same info via Manual or Auto, but on Manual in the 4308CI I can't select PLIIx (or anything) under the audio settings, SB Channel Out menu. Good news is now it works, and I'm using those back wall surrounds now! Thx for quick support!!

It now says "Multi in + PLIIx Cinema mode" on the dot matrix display! So, it is taking the LPCM and adding the back surround channels via PLIIx processing, exactly like page 82 says it should do!

I'll post this in the PS3 Master thread in case others have this issue, it is NOT AVR related, as far as I can tell, but "fat"PS3 related quirk.

post #3984 of 4488 Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Surprised how bad YouTube displays in ps3 vs even something like an apple tv or my hd dvr. Any tricks to make it hd or somehow better?

PS Sorry for double post. Will delete the other one.
post #3985 of 4488 Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I've updated the PS3 FAQ, Post #2 of this thread, to indicate that the latest firmware is version 4.10.

Ron Jones
post #3986 of 4488 Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's up to 4.11 now actually.
post #3987 of 4488 Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

It's up to 4.11 now actually.

Any word on what this one covers? Must be a fix for something since 4.10 was rather recent.
post #3988 of 4488 Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi, I have a question. I just recently bought an Integra 70.3 av amplifier and would like it to do all the audio/video processing when using my slim ps3 as a bluray player. Is it possible to set the ps3 to send the film information straight to the amp without processing it it self? I can't seem to find this option anywhere in it's settings
post #3989 of 4488 Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Worked it out)
post #3990 of 4488 Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I was using my PS3 for Netflix streaming. All of a sudden, it turned off by itself (red lights began blinking and then went solid). Now if I try to turn it on it starts, fan begins, and then within two seconds it goes into shut down mode (red light blinks, and it turns off). I can't start it anymore.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page