post #4471 of 4485 Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

So why is the PS3 outputting 5.1 when it should be only outputting 2-channel? When I push select when playing a Blu-Ray, it says 5.1. Dialogue for movies is pretty much impossible to hear, no matter what the volume level is. It is faint as can be. That was not the case with previous PS3 I had. I've been through all the settings and can only conclude the PS3 is not outputting the sound via 2-channel, as it should.

Tomorrow when I have time I will going to my settings on my PS3 Slim and look at what it takes to select 2.0.
Have you done a system"hard" reset? Not a restore settings on page 42 of the owners manual. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130208162649AAR2TXQ
IIRC you have to "Save" new audio settings, are you sure you did this correctly.
DVD Freaky likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4485 Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post

Like I said in a previous post to you, if you go into your PS3, go to the settings, select the sound setup or whatever it's called, and run the setup, it will detect you are using a TV and only give you options for 2 channel sound. Select that, and then go into your movie or game, and it should output in 2.0 sound and audio isn't clipped or impossible to hear because it's being mixed to 2 channels instead of 5.1 sound.

Yes I know, that's what I did. 2-channel sound is selected in the setup (automatically, via HDMI...I checked).. THEN, when I play a BD, the dialogue is incredibly faint, no matter the volume. I push SELECT on my PS3 controller and see that it's outputting 5.1 sound.

Exchanged my PS3 for a new one today and will test later tonight.
post #4473 of 4485 Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Tomorrow when I have time I will going to my settings on my PS3 Slim and look at what it takes to select 2.0.
Have you done a system"hard" reset? Not a restore settings on page 42 of the owners manual. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130208162649AAR2TXQ
IIRC you have to "Save" new audio settings, are you sure you did this correctly.

I did a restore settings previously and it didn't work. I called Sony Tech Support and they were incredibly clueless. I have exchanged the 3-week-old PS3 for a new one today and will test later tonight.

In the mean time, I will look into the hard reset option....thanks!
post #4474 of 4485 Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
I have my PS3 connected to my SC-65 via HDMI and my SC-65 connected to my Panasonic VT-60 via HDMI. With the receiver off I am having no problem getting video to my tv, but I cannot get the sound to pass. I have checked all the settings on the recieved, PS3 and tv and I don't see an issue. The PS3 is set to pass both dolby digital and 2 channel stereo. The tv is set to tv volume instead of home theatre volume (in fact, when you turn off the reciever the tv automatically switches to tv volume). But no matter what I do I cannot get the volume from the tv. Any thoughts??

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #4475 of 4485 Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

I have my PS3 connected to my SC-65 via HDMI and my SC-65 connected to my Panasonic VT-60 via HDMI. With the receiver off I am having no problem getting video to my tv, but I cannot get the sound to pass. I have checked all the settings on the recieved, PS3 and tv and I don't see an issue. The PS3 is set to pass both dolby digital and 2 channel stereo. The tv is set to tv volume instead of home theatre volume (in fact, when you turn off the reciever the tv automatically switches to tv volume). But no matter what I do I cannot get the volume from the tv. Any thoughts??

Could it be that the PS3 is not passing audio to through to the TV because it is setup to do so for the AVR? Try going through the audio settings process on the PS3 with the AVR off and see what happens.
post #4476 of 4485 Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I've updated the PS3 FAQ, Post #2 of this thread, to indicate the current firmware version is 4.55.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4477 of 4485 Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Looked through the FAQ for every instance of "NATIVE" to see what settings I need to toggle to get the PS3 to output video in whatever format it is, on the disc (ie, no scaling, no alteration of color space, etc) but it appears this topic is not addressed.

Does anyone know? I am using an external scaler, and it tends to work best with native rate sources.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4478 of 4485 Old 06-02-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 90
UPDATE: Looks like it is not possible. For example, a DVD is *always* converted to 480P.

But hopefully that is the only exception. So far, that appears to be the case.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4479 of 4485 Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm running the latest firmware on my 320GB PS3 and I was just playing Dark Knight Rises blu-ray on my system through my Denon X1000 receiver and it was working fine for a while but every now and then it would glitch and lose audio/video. Has anyone had this happen before?

The disc is fine as I used it in my Sony blu-ray player without any problems, AVR is new and so is the HDMI cable; PS3 is only 2-3 years old.
post #4480 of 4485 Old 07-06-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
UPDATE: Looks like it is not possible. For example, a DVD is *always* converted to 480P.

But hopefully that is the only exception. So far, that appears to be the case.

DVDs normally stores video in 480i format but many HDMI chips do not support this format with only 480p being offered for Std. Definition.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4481 of 4485 Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For the average user (such as me) there is a lot of information in the PS3 FAQ that can seem very complicated. For those of us that don't have such an in-depth understanding of these settings what would the best settings (on the PS3) be for the following:

(NOTE: PS3 is connected directly to a HDTV through HDMI. For audio the PS3 is connected directly to a 5.1ch Home Theater System through a Optical Cable. The Home Theater system only supports Dolby Digital, and not DTS. Also keep in mind the PS3 is a Slim model. Not the Super Slim model.)

With the above in mind what are the best settings for:

-VIDEO SETTINGS-
BD/DVD - Cinema Conversion:
DVD - Wide Display:
BD/DVD Upscaler:
BD/DVD - Video Output Format (HDMI):
1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI):
BD/DVD - Dynamic Range Control:
BD/DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI):
BD - Audio Output Format (Optical Digital):
50 Hz Video Output:

-MUSIC SETTINGS-
Audio CD Import:
Crossfade Playback:
Output Freqeuncy:
Bitmapping:
Dynamic Normaliser:

-DISPLAY SETTINGS-
Video Output Settings:
Cross Colour Reduction Filter:
RGB Full Range (HDMI):
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI):
Deep Colour Output (HDMI):

-SOUND SETTINGS-
Audio Output Settings:
Audio Multi-Output:
post #4482 of 4485 Old 08-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow, this forum is pretty dead. Could someone at least tell me what the best setting is for BD - Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)? I have heard people say the best choice is Bitstream. The problem is there are two Bitstream options. One for Bitstream (Mix) and one for Bitstream (Direct). What is the best setting and what is the difference between the two?

I need an answer to this ASAP please.
post #4483 of 4485 Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Liked: 12
PS3 version 4.6 3d playback issues

My ps3 has stopped working for 3d blu-rays. The last time I watched one and it worked was June 22nd, which is right before 4.6 came out, so I assume that's the issue. I can play 3d video games and watch 3d movies on Netflix, but not 3d blu-rays. When i try to play them, the ps3 puts out a 3d signal. It gets noisy and bright as it tends to do in 3d and interface options like pause float in front of the TV, but the picture itself is only 2d.

I have a 60 GB fat ps3 and a panasonic 55-inch vt60. The PS3 is hooked directly to the TV via HDMI. My girlfriend has a 120 GB slim ps3. I hooked it up and the 3d works fine on it. I don't have access to other fat ps3s or 3d TVs to test. The Google seems to give me no info on this issue. Can anyone tell me anyone about what's going on?
post #4484 of 4485 Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR49 View Post
Wow, this forum is pretty dead. Could someone at least tell me what the best setting is for BD - Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)? I have heard people say the best choice is Bitstream. The problem is there are two Bitstream options. One for Bitstream (Mix) and one for Bitstream (Direct). What is the best setting and what is the difference between the two?

I need an answer to this ASAP please.
Mix will mix in things like menu sound effects and direct is just the movie audio.
post #4485 of 4485 Old 08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 68
have the old ps3 player. 3d movies are good. I wanted to hook up optical for sound only. My receivers 3 optical inputs work> I checked by switching around 1,2,3 and still get sound so I eliminated the AVR. Can't seem to get a choice on receiver input that will let me assign PS3 to optical. Is t time to get a new player? thanks in advance

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page