Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Good reply, I was looking at players with dual HDMI outputs in case the splitter didn't work.. Got the top of the line from Monoprice..
Awesome, which one did you pick up?

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Monoprice splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post
Awesome, which one did you pick up?
Here is the splitter from Monoprice. It works like a charm and AVR gets the HD sound formats: DTS-HD & Dolby True HD. Don't have to buy a new receiver:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=10249
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dts.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	730490  

post #4503 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Not trying to beat this horse but are you saying that the PS3 is handshaking as 3D capable when you have your non-3D receiver connected with your 3D TV? You've actually watched a 3D movie that way, receiver powered on for sound?
Quote:
Here is the splitter from Monoprice. It works like a charm and AVR gets the HD sound formats: DTS-HD & Dolby True HD. Don't have to buy a new receiver:

post #4504 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Yes, that's exactly right. I thought I had to by a new receiver that passes the sound and video if the splitter didn't work. . But thanks to the splitter, I enjoy all 3 D movies. With the recommendations of fellow AVS members, I purchased 2 pair of Panasonic glasses that work flawlessly. The JVC glasses are very expensive ($186.).. Panasonic glasses are about $40. a pair. I have watched Avatar and also Prometeus, great 3D movies. I am getting the new audio formats as shown in the picture..

JVC:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-PKAG3G-RF-...jvc+3d+glasses

Panasonic:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6XE5WV8FZHG6W6

Hope this helps, thats why PS3 is one of the better players around, 3D ready also..

post #4505 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

That's awesome it's working for you. I've got PS3s in each of 3 setups and monoprice splitters. With my 2013 M70 and M65 setup, I need to make sure the non-3D device "HDMI legs" are unplugged to watch 3D.
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly right. I thought I had to by a new receiver that passes the sound and video if the splitter didn't work. . But thanks to the splitter, I enjoy all 3 D movies. With the recommendations of fellow AVS members, I purchased 2 pair of Panasonic glasses that work flawlessly. The JVC glasses are very expensive ($186.).. Panasonic glasses are about $40. a pair. I have watched Avatar and also Prometeus, great 3D movies. I am getting the new audio formats as shown in the picture..

JVC:

Panasonic:

Hope this helps, thats why PS3 is one of the better players around, 3D ready also..
post #4506 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I have a JVC X 35 and a PS 3. Since my AVR does not pass thru 3D, I use a splitter. HDMI to Receiver and HDMI to PJ.. I have no problems whatsoever.. I get all the DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD lights lit on receiver...
Never thought about this. I have a 3d projector and an onkyo 805. I have been using optical to receiver. Would love to try this so I can get HD audio out of my PS4. You have a link to your splitter? Or will any splitter do?
post #4507 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have any video device connected to your receiver?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the handshake protocol is on this thread but I wonder if there is some provision or oversight (it's not a bug it's a feature) that if there is no video device the receiver reports nothing and so the switch is just reporting the video capabilities of the TV?? I'd be curious to know if you plugged a non-3D video device into the receiver if it ceased to function.

Last edited by rakstr; 05-22-2015 at 04:26 PM.
post #4508 of 4515 Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:

JVC:

Panasonic:

Must be a PS3 slim .. ?? I don't think this is going to work with my 1st gen unit, but I may give it a shot on the slim ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4509 of 4515 Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, I think I have fixed my hdmi handshake problem using a combination of suggestions from this thread. I would have to guess that the problem lies with the apparent fact that the PS3 and other BR player devices(I had the same problem with my other players, Sony and Samsung)and the datastream configuration. My configuration is PS3 and Directv DVR as sources. Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver with LG PF1500 LED and JVC RS40 projectors. Here is how I solved it:

1. Used Monoprice 4 in 2 out switcher with remote. Switcher is 3 years old. Read article recently that said older switchers removed hdmi info.
2. Bought Monoprice 1 in 2 out splitter.
3. Wired PS3 and DVR hdmi into switcher.
4. Sent Output A of switcher to splitter with each splitter output going to a projector.
5. Sent Output B to Onkyo for hdmi audio.
6. Set PS3 audio to PCM instead of bitstream.

I tried the above config with bitstream and got no audio from the PS3. I think the problem is a combo of the PS3 using different video output streams for the menu and the movie and my Onkyo not liking going from one to the other. I could start the PS3 by loading a movie and the Onkyo would pick it up. But when I stopped the movie I couldn't get the menu to appear. I had none of these problems with the Directv DVR, only the PS3 and other BR players. My only problem now is getting all of the audio and video synced. Working on that.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jack
post #4510 of 4515 Old 05-25-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Well, I think I have fixed my hdmi handshake problem using a combination of suggestions from this thread.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Hi JackB, you may have ran across these two settings in attempt to fix your issue, But if not try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)" under Display Settings. If still not working also try turning off "BD 1080p 24Hz output (HDMI)" under Video Settings (or turn off both settings).
post #4511 of 4515 Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi JackB, you may have ran across these two settings in attempt to fix your issue, But if not try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)" under Display Settings. If still not working also try turning off "BD 1080p 24Hz output (HDMI)" under Video Settings (or turn off both settings).
Right now it is all working, I think. The video definitely is working and the sound from the BR seems better. I can't tell for sure what I'm getting because when using PCM instead of bitstream the Onkyo doesn't display the actual symbol for Dolby True HD or DTS - MA. I do know that all 7 channels are delivering sound.

Jack
post #4512 of 4515 Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

What pioneer elite model are you using?
post #4513 of 4515 Old 05-27-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Has anybody heard/read of any technical PQ/video output differences among the various PS3 versions? It is really hard to find such info, people mostly only discussed PS3 PQ for playing BDs when they were a newish item, or when they fixed a few glitches in FW.

Why I ask: I recently got a weak laser on my fat PS3...going to replace the whole mech later today. I took that as a warning, it is one noisy and hot sucker, since new, and it's perfectly clean inside. Call it a gen-2 version, not the original release. In the meantime, I got a super slim PS3, the absolutely latest version that's not even in wiki (only one LED, single lens laser, etc.). Don't have room/need for both in rack/area, need to decide which one will be the backup. Run the fat until it gets YLOD, or let it sleep and burn the super slim at least until its warranty expires...the latter seems more sensible if PQ is equal.

Thanks.

Edit: since nobody knows or is telling , I did some more of my own digging. The Slim and Super Slim models definitely have a measurably "contaminated" HDMI output. The Fat models do not. This means that if you put a data frame grabber on the HDMI output, the "new" HDMI chip (from when they added bitstreaming etc., remember?) is not faithfully outputting what it should be, there are continuous data errors. This is always measurable, not sometimes, so is believed to be a (non-fixed) bug in the chip. Whether you can see it or not depends on you and your gear. So I'll use the Fat for movies and the SS for games, spread the use more evenly. Once I got the (fixed) Fat off my workbench, I could in fact arrange them both on the same rack shelf without any ventilation holes being obscured...my bad for not figuring that out at the beginning.

Last edited by cfraser; 05-29-2015 at 12:36 PM.
post #4514 of 4515 Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My PS3 is only playing DVD's via the TV sound system now. I have the PS3 connected to my Denon AVR 1713 and the Denon to the TV of course. It just seemed to start doing this. Blurays are playing fine (at times). Sometimes I have to jump between sources to get the PS3 to show up on my TV. All the other inputs (Radio, Network Pandora, Media Players, and TV seem to do fine with the surround sound. I figure this is some setting on the PS3. Thoughts?
post #4515 of 4515 Old 08-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone heard of putting PS4 firmware on the PS3. I saw a video and said it can be done??
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com