Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, cpcat -- that makes sense to me.

Do you have any idea why the Audio settings for HDMI on the PS3 include Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as the first two outputs? If I recall correctly, on my PS3 the boxes for these settings are checked when the HDMI setting is on "auto."

If the PS3 converts everything to LPCM before shipping it off to the recever, shouldn't all of the audio outputs just list resolution (e.g., 5.1 channel 44.1 hz)?

Regards, James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telynau View Post

Do you have any idea why the Audio settings for HDMI on the PS3 include Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as the first two outputs? If I recall correctly, on my PS3 the boxes for these settings are checked when the HDMI setting is on "auto."

If the PS3 converts everything to LPCM before shipping it off to the recever, shouldn't all of the audio outputs just list resolution (e.g., 5.1 channel 44.1 hz)?

Regards, James

It sends LPCM only if you dont have it set for bitstream was my understanding, where a bitstream setting means the receiver will handle the decoding. PCM means the PS3 handles the decoding.

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #453 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telynau View Post

Regards, James

The list of audio types specifies the types of audio is is OK to send to your receiver -- i.e., the capabilities of the receiver.

The audio type that is ACTUALLY sent is the "best" one out of that list given the output settings you have made and the content you are playing.

Your receiver can handle DD5.1 and DTS so they are in the list. Some TVs for example would not be able to handle those. But as long as you are using HDMI output with LPCM selected as the output method, the PS3 will not actually send DD5.1 or DTS to the receiver. It will decode any DD5.1 or DTS content and send the result out as HDMI LPCM.

If you decided, for whatever reason, to change to Bitstream output, then the PS3 would know it was OK to send DD5.1 or DTS Bitstreams since those are in the list as valid types of audio for your receiver.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #454 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

I don't mean to bug you guys , but I have a strange issue I want to get your opinion on.

I have been noticing something wierd happening while I am gaming.
There were purplish flashes while playing COD4 on my PS3.
I am thinking that this may be the PS3 going bad, but I dunno..
This happens mainly on the "creek" map. But sometimes in other maps but rarely.

I never see this while watching DVDs,Blu-rays, cable HD, etc.etc.etc.
It only happens when playing COD4 on the ps3.

let me know what you think.
If this video is not enough to go by, let me know and I will try to reproduce this effect and make another video.

here it is.

What is this???? CLick here to see Video

thanks guys!

Based on the video, and the fact that you aren't seeing it with any other content, my first thought is that it is a bug in the game. It doesn't look typical of HDMI cabling problems for example, and I don't see any signs that your TV or AVR are having problems with the video resolution. It could be a flaw in the game play portion of the PS3, but I think a bug in the game's own software is more likely.

What type of video (RGB or YCbCr) and what resolution is the PS3 sending out when you play that game? And what type of video cabling are you using?

Your next step might be to find a thread on that game and have others check that particular scene.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #455 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

AVI is raw uncompressed video.

Wrong. AVI is a container and can contain many types of compressed or uncompressed video and audio. I stream AVI files to the PS3. Since the poster of this question downloaded the AVI files you know they are compressed (would take too long to download otherwise). A program like G-SPOT will tell the poster what codecs are used.
post #456 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Wrong. AVI is a container and can contain many types of compressed or uncompressed video and audio. I stream AVI files to the PS3. Since the poster of this question downloaded the AVI files you know they are compressed (would take too long to download otherwise). A program like G-SPOT will tell the poster what codecs are used.

AVI is typically used as a common-ground, lowest-common-denominator format. "Generic A/V format", where you can use it to encode it into any other format because it isn't pixel base dependent.

I use it all the time as well as edit them (and even back-convert) using Sony Vegas 8.0 pro.

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #457 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

AVI is typically used as a common-ground, lowest-common-denominator format. "Generic A/V format", where you can use it to encode it into any other format because it isn't pixel base dependent.

I use it all the time as well as edit them (and even back-convert) using Sony Vegas 8.0 pro.

Good for you. Do you admit you are wrong yet? Many of us use the AVI container file format. But most of us that use it understand what we are putting into that container.

You are probably putting motion Jpeg in that container which is compressed and used for DV from digital camcorders. It is pixel compressed but not frame compressed video format (much less compression than Mpeg formats and easy to do video editing with).

Most of the DIVX and XVID content on torrent sites is in the AVI container.
A DIVX or XVID video in a AVI file shows up on the PS3 as (when you select triangle information): Video Codec: MPEG-4
I have successfully played a bunch of DIVX and XVID videos that are in AVI container files on the PS3. If you put them in a "VIDEO" directory at the root of the USB flash drive you don't have to select "display all" to play them.
post #458 of 4488 Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The list of audio types specifies the types of audio is is OK to send to your receiver -- i.e., the capabilities of the receiver.

The audio type that is ACTUALLY sent is the "best" one out of that list given the output settings you have made and the content you are playing.

Your receiver can handle DD5.1 and DTS so they are in the list. Some TVs for example would not be able to handle those. But as long as you are using HDMI output with LPCM selected as the output method, the PS3 will not actually send DD5.1 or DTS to the receiver. It will decode any DD5.1 or DTS content and send the result out as HDMI LPCM.

If you decided, for whatever reason, to change to Bitstream output, then the PS3 would know it was OK to send DD5.1 or DTS Bitstreams since those are in the list as valid types of audio for your receiver.
--Bob

Thanks, Bob -- that makes sense as well. Regards, James
post #459 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 AM

PS3 (v2.50) update
Now on to the PS3 v2.50 update. The latest features/enhancements include:
Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset - we've told you about the upcoming Bluetooth Headset and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Bundle on the Blog. This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.

PlayStation Trophies interface enhancements - I know that many of you are busy collecting trophies and raising your PlayStation Trophy level. This update makes sharing and comparing your trophies with your friends even easier. On 1st part of the profile page you'll see a symbol under level that represents level and the actual percentage towards the next level along with the existing level meter. The level symbol carries over to the trophy comparison screen where you will now be able to see your level, your friend's level and the percentage towards the next level for both users along with all of the game by game comparison information you see today.
Friend status - Offline friends on your Friends list will have information below their avatars that will indicate how long it has been since they were last online.

Video - This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

PlayStation Store - We've added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.

Power Save Settings - You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

In addition to all of the features above there are some additional features and enhancements included in 2.50. Once the update launches, you can read all of the details here.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...v250-psp-v500/
post #460 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

So no significant improvements for Blu-Ray playback...

--Bob

post #461 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
auto-shutoff settings are nice
post #462 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff View Post

PS3 (v2.50) update
Now on to the PS3 v2.50 update. The latest features/enhancements include:
Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset - we’ve told you about the upcoming Bluetooth Headset and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Bundle on the Blog. This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.........

Ron, is there anyway we can keep track of the current F/W releases in Post#1?

When trying to select the "PS3 Firmware 2.5x Thread - more video related features" thread... it redirects here. Is that intentional?

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #463 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM

If I hook up a PS3 to my Denon 889 (which can decode HD audio codecs) will the receiver say the codec on the screen or light up the TrueHD light? or will it just say multi-channel in or something, since the PS3 can't pass all the HD codecs via bitsream and must decode some of them internally?
post #464 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

When trying to select the "PS3 Firmware 2.5x Thread - more video related features" thread... it redirects here. Is that intentional?

One of the moderators "moved" that thread -- i.e., merged it into this thread.

All the other players discuss their firmware in their main player thread, so that's probably why. As more players come out, separate firmware threads for each version for each player would probably get kind of confusing.

It might have been better to merge it into the main PS3 thread (the "One and Only" thread) to keep this FAQ thread cleaner, but it probably doesn't make that much difference.
--Bob

post #465 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx2k6 View Post

If I hook up a PS3 to my Denon 889 (which can decode HD audio codecs) will the receiver say the codec on the screen or light up the TrueHD light? or will it just say multi-channel in or something, since the PS3 can't pass all the HD codecs via bitsream and must decode some of them internally?

The PS3's on-screen info display will tell you what it is decoding.

The Denon will see HDMI LPCM regardless of what the PS3 is decoding, so no the light on the Denon will not come on.
--Bob

post #466 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It might have been better to merge it into the main PS3 thread (the "One and Only" thread) to keep this FAQ thread cleaner, but it probably doesn't make that much difference.
--Bob

Not any more. Have you looked at OP on that thread for awhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Please use the new FAQ thread.

Thank you.

post #467 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 PM

I sort of hate to ask this, but given the new players coming out, if you all had to do it all again, would you go with the ps3 again, if you were pretty much just looking for a player, or would you go with a dedicated player, like the new sony or pany models?
post #468 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphinne2 View Post

I sort of hate to ask this, but given the new players coming out, if you all had to do it all again, would you go with the ps3 again, if you were pretty much just looking for a player, or would you go with a dedicated player, like the new sony or pany models?

I would stick with the 2 PS3 I bought. I use them to play streaming HD videos 720p with DD5.1 sound that I download. I was looking at an expensive upgrade for my HTPC (to play HD AVC, MPEG4 files). For me the PS3 has been economical. If the PS3 worked as a Media Center extender like the XBOX360 it would be perfect. If it played the DVR-MS and MKV video files, it would also be almost perfect.
post #469 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

If your setup is good with HDMI YCbCr video and high bandwidth multi-channel HDMI LPCM audio then the PS3 remains the Blu-Ray player to beat.

That might change next year, but not yet.

If your setup has problems with either of those, I'd strongly suggest you consider upgrading your setup first. Then get a PS3.
--Bob

post #470 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of the moderators "moved" that thread -- i.e., merged it into this thread.

All the other players discuss their firmware in their main player thread, so that's probably why. As more players come out, separate firmware threads for each version for each player would probably get kind of confusing.

--Bob

How about this idea:

Can we get Post#1 updated to reflect the current F/W version release? Then, direct discussion on F/W releases, info, etc. to the overall PS3 discussion page. I'd hate to see a new thread for each F/W release.

This would require the Mods to move the 2.5 thread to the discussion thread and not here.

I agree with Bob and should have known better. Let's keep this thread related to the FAQ's - including announcements. And use the discussion thread for, well... discussion

Thoughts?

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #471 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphinne2 View Post

Nope. IMHO, even with the new crop of stand alone players that are already out & coming - the PS3 is still the best available.

That said, if the reported new Oppo BD lives up to the expected hype.. my PS3 will go to the kids and be replaced with that. Based on the quality & features of my Oppo 981, I'd be willing to pay the premium that it might cost for their BD player - almost sight unseen.

-steve
post #472 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

That works for me.

There's already an Updating Your Firmware section at the end of the first post.

I think we should have a Current Firmware number at the top of the first post, near the last updated date. I.e., indicating that the FAQ reflects that specified, latest firmware.

One of the things I've done in the Anthem D2/AVM-50 "tweaking" thread is indicate that "Discussions related to such and so topic begin with this post" along with a link into the thread at that post. You can get such a link by using the Link item at the upper right of each post. Then whenever we have new firmware folks can easily find the post that starts discussion of that firmware in the long thread.
--Bob

post #473 of 4488 Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That works for me.

There's already an Updating Your Firmware section at the end of the first post.

I think we should have a Current Firmware number at the top of the first post, near the last updated date. I.e., indicating that the FAQ reflects that specified, latest firmware.

One of the things I've done in the Anthem D2/AVM-50 "tweaking" thread is indicate that "Discussions related to such and so topic begin with this post" along with a link into the thread at that post. You can get such a link by using the Link item at the upper right of each post. Then whenever we have new firmware folks can easily find the post that starts discussion of that firmware in the long thread.
--Bob

Seems logical and a good idea to keep things organized, yet still get folks to the information.

Ron???? Can/will do?

-steve
post #474 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

How about this idea:

Can we get Post#1 updated to reflect the current F/W version release? Then, direct discussion on F/W releases, info, etc. to the overall PS3 discussion page. I'd hate to see a new thread for each F/W release.

This would require the Mods to move the 2.5 thread to the discussion thread and not here.

I agree with Bob and should have known better. Let's keep this thread related to the FAQ's - including announcements. And use the discussion thread for, well... discussion

Thoughts?

Why can't the 2.4x thread be used and renamed? It is still getting current posts.
post #475 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Per the FAQ:
Case 4: PS3 connected to a recent model AVR, with HDMI inputs, and the AVR HDMI output is connected to your recent vintage HDTV.

In this case you can simply use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 to an available HDMI input on your AVR. Then use another HDMI cable to connected the HDMI output of your AVR to an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (decoded and provided in multi-channel LPCM format) from the PS3, will process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The AVR will also pass the digital video data on to your HDTV for display.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 4 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):
XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC
XMB >>> Settings >>> BD/DVD Settings >>> BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)=LINEAR PCM
XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> HDMI >>> Method for Setting the Output Format=AUTOMATIC

My AVR can handle 7.1, but I only have 5.1 speaker system.
I do not remember seeing the definite answer to this:
If i let the ps3 automatically set the output format, the 7.1 boxes are checked. Should I let the ps3 send 7.1 and let the AVR downmix to 5.1, or uncheck the 7.1 and let the ps3 downmix to 5.1?
post #476 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

How about this idea:

Thoughts?

Since 2.5 is not yet released, I've added a paragraph under the firmware updates section a the end of Post #1 to indicate that 2.5 is coming soon then once it is actually released I'll update the post to show it as the current version.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #477 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Since 2.5 is not yet released, I've added a paragraph under the firmware updates section a the end of Post #1 to indicate that 2.5 is coming soon then once it is actually released I'll update the post to show it as the current version.

Cool & thanks Ron!

-steve
post #478 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

Why can't the 2.4x thread be used and renamed? It is still getting current posts.

That wouldn't be very different than using the main PS3 thread. You'd still need a pointer to get people into the part of the thread where the discussion actually begins. Renaming the thread would confuse people who go in there and find many pages of discussion of prior firmware.

So might as well just use the main PS3 thread with a pointer into it in this thread (along with FAQ style reference info on the new firmware).
--Bob

post #479 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

My AVR can handle 7.1, but I only have 5.1 speaker system.
I do not remember seeing the definite answer to this:
If i let the ps3 automatically set the output format, the 7.1 boxes are checked. Should I let the ps3 send 7.1 and let the AVR downmix to 5.1, or uncheck the 7.1 and let the ps3 downmix to 5.1?

This PS3 can do the downmix to 5.1 for you, and it does it just fine.

Odds are your 7.1 receiver can also do the downmix to 5.1 and that it also does it just fine.

There's no particular reason to do it one way or the other.

It is probably easiest to let the PS3 send out the 7.1 -- which it will do by automatic default -- and let your 7.1 receiver do the down-mix, which it will almost certainly also do automatically once you configure it for 5.1 output. If you discover your receiver has a problem you can switch back to having the PS3 do it.
--Bob

post #480 of 4488 Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Since there is no fw thread.

the PS3 should now play flash9 video. this opens up a range of reputable and less reputable websites that will now play their video on the PS3.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page