post #811 of 4488 Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

We here at "Bob Pariseau" thank you for your kind words!

--Bob

Bob
what does version 2.52 do, is it a necessary or can I wait till next upgrade. I did not even know it was out.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4488 Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Bob
what does version 2.52 do, is it a necessary or can I wait till next upgrade. I did not even know it was out.

Assuming you already have V2.50, it's a minor bug fix release. See the "New for 2.52" lines highlighted in red on this page:

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3

-------------------------------------

Personally I always update the PS3 as each version comes out, but since the changes in this one are minor I suppose you could hold off. You should definitely update if you don't already have V2.50.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #813 of 4488 Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Bob...in my haste yesterday to install the firmware, I ignored the part of the instructions concerning usb formatting. It took two tries, but I finally got the update to take. Thanks much! I'll ask you on the D2 site about my latest problem with that firmware update.
John K.
post #814 of 4488 Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Assuming you already have V2.50, it's a minor bug fix release. See the "New for 2.52" lines highlighted in red on this page:

Personally I always update the PS3 as each version comes out, but since the changes in this one are minor I suppose you could hold off. You should definitely update if you don't already have V2.50.
--Bob

Hi Bob ,
With your Anthem D2 setup , is it fairly easy for you to test , with each firmware update , whether or not Sony has fixed the 'bug' in the RGB output for BTB and WTW ?

Scott....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #815 of 4488 Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Hi Bob ,
With your Anthem D2 setup , is it fairly easy for you to test , with each firmware update , whether or not Sony has fixed the 'bug' in the RGB output for BTB and WTW ?

Scott....................

Yes, it is very easy, but it is not something that I've been looking at after I last confirmed it was still broken (around V2.41). However, I imagine there are other folks out there who are interested in this, and I think it unlikely a fix could sneak in without somebody noticing and reporting it.

I suspect RGB output is low priority for Sony, so I don't think it likely they will fix this. It doesn't affect their game imaging (the most important case where they force RGB output) since they don't generate BTB or Peak White data in game graphics anyway. It is mainly a nuisance for folks playing SD-DVD or Blu-Ray into DVI displays (and no HDMI receiver in between) since DVI displays insist on RGB input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #816 of 4488 Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrsix View Post

Bob...in my haste yesterday to install the firmware, I ignored the part of the instructions concerning usb formatting. It took two tries, but I finally got the update to take. Thanks much! I'll ask you on the D2 site about my latest problem with that firmware update.
John K.

Cool! I'm glad you got it working.
--Bob

post #817 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I haven't tried this, but I believe the Automatic 24Hz setting should not give you problems as the PS3 will find out from the TV that it doesn't support 24Hz.

The ON 24Hz setting, on the other hand, forces 24Hz output for TVs that accept 24Hz but don't properly publish that fact to source devices. If you use that the PS3 will send 24Hz even if your TV tells the PS3 it doesn't support it. Usually this will mean you get no image. To fix this you can force the PS3 back into its default video output by power cycling it with the rear power switch and then holding the power button on the front for about 5-10 seconds. Then you can reset your regular video output without the 24Hz setting.
--Bob

Bob,
So after your post I tested Pirates 1 again, with the 24Hz setting set to ON, and it worked just fine. Not sure what happened the first time. *shrug*

Awesome info though, thanks!
post #818 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

The ON 24Hz setting, on the other hand, forces 24Hz output for TVs that accept 24Hz but don't properly publish that fact to source devices. If you use that the PS3 will send 24Hz even if your TV tells the PS3 it doesn't support it. Usually this will mean you get no image. To fix this you can force the PS3 back into its default video output by power cycling it with the rear power switch and then holding the power button on the front for about 5-10 seconds. Then you can reset your regular video output without the 24Hz setting.

Are you suggesting to power off the PS3 using the rear switch while it's operating? I would only do that as a last resort with any device containing a hard drive. When you have no display you can normally still force the PS3 to shut down gracefully by holding the power button on the front for a few seconds until you hear a beep.
post #819 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Are you suggesting to power off the PS3 using the rear switch while it's operating? I would only do that as a last resort with any device containing a hard drive. When you have no display you can normally still force the PS3 to shut down gracefully by holding the power button on the front for a few seconds until you hear a beep.

Yes this is true. I didnt realize I could shut it down this way until yesterday :/
post #820 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Correct. Power down the PS3 with the front panel button if you can, then power cycle the rear switch to force a completely fresh state, then press and hold the front panel power button for 5-10 seconds to make the PS3 revert to its factory default video output. Most commonly you will do this when moving the PS3 from one TV to another TV that needs different video setup. The factory default video will get you video on screen so you can then adjust the video settings to what you want for the new TV.
--Bob

post #821 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM

I can't really go 7.1 with my current room, but I want to get a new receiver that can handle HDMI audio output from the PS3.

Can the PS3 downmix 7.1 LPCM to 5.1 LPCM?
post #822 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans View Post

I can't really go 7.1 with my current room, but I want to get a new receiver that can handle HDMI audio output from the PS3.

Can the PS3 downmix 7.1 LPCM to 5.1 LPCM?

Yes. It does it just fine.

Odds are your new 7.1 receiver will also do this when you tell it you only have 5.1 speakers. I.e., 7.1 from the PS3 to your receiver and 5.1 from your receiver to your current set of speakers.

Unless there is something screwy going on in your receiver, there's really no good reason to do it one way or the other. Flip a coin. If the receiver can't do it for some reason, or doesn't do it well, then have the PS3 do it for you.
--Bob

post #823 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:

The latest 80GB model has only 2 USB sockets instead of 4.
--Bob

How does the latest 160GB version differ from the latest 80GB version,
besides a larger hd ?

Any improvements to the hardware?...
Is it worth an upgrade from the latest 80GB version ?
post #824 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Yes. It does it just fine.

Odds are your new 7.1 receiver will also do this when you tell it you only have 5.1 speakers. I.e., 7.1 from the PS3 to your receiver and 5.1 from your receiver to your current set of speakers.

Unless there is something screwy going on in your receiver, there's really no good reason to do it one way or the other. Flip a coin. If the receiver can't do it for some reason, or doesn't do it well, then have the PS3 do it for you.
--Bob

Cool thanks. I was specifically looking at the onkyo 605 and someone told me that it just threw out the side or rear channels when it received 7.1 LPCM and only had 5.1 speakers hooked up. It is amazingly hard to find solid info on what receivers do internally to multichannel sound! As long as the PS3 can handle it though no worries!
post #825 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbens View Post

How does the latest 160GB version differ from the latest 80GB version,
besides a larger hd ?

Any improvements to the hardware?...
Is it worth an upgrade from the latest 80GB version ?

As far as I know it only differs in the size of the disk drive, just as the latest 80GB unit only differs from the 40GB unit in the size of the disk drive.

Oh I suspect the 80GB and 160GB units also come with the game controller that vibrates.
--Bob

post #826 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans View Post

Cool thanks. I was specifically looking at the onkyo 605 and someone told me that it just threw out the side or rear channels when it received 7.1 LPCM and only had 5.1 speakers hooked up. It is amazingly hard to find solid info on what receivers do internally to multichannel sound! As long as the PS3 can handle it though no worries!

I have heard the 605 sounds bad (not nearly as good as bit-streamed) for the new HD codec TRUEHD and DTS-HD/MA sent over PCM. The 605 also can't apply PLIIx to stretch 5.1 sound to 7.1 if you upgrade your speaker system to 7.1 later on. The PS3 can only output the HD audio codecs as PCM so the 605 doesn't make a great choice for a PS3 owner.
post #827 of 4488 Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM

I own the 606 and I think it rocks. True, it wont decode the TrueHD (its capable though) but the PS3 does it for you, so it doesnt even let the receiver do the work.

Ive never heard it the other way (would require a bluray player that isnt a PS3) to test but from my reading it sounds identical. Im happy with the 606 via HDMI and 5.1 for what its worth
post #828 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

--Bob

Thank you Bob,
Yes I did the 2.50 2 weeks or so ago and before that the 2.40. I just am a movie buff and I don't online game play or use the bunches of extras available on blu-ray discs. I do want to get all the necessary stuff though. Since this is a minor tweak I will wait a while for next one. I absolutely have no problems at all.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #829 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Sorry if this is a dumb question (i havent read the thread), but is there any way to get the PS3 to include the LFE channel if you have it set to decode audio to 2.0 PCM?
post #830 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 PM

An unrelated question, can I use my cellphone wall charger to charge the ps3 controller, or only the PS3 itself? It sucks that I have to do it while its on ya know. (or do I?)
post #831 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachforlife View Post

An unrelated question, can I use my cellphone wall charger to charge the ps3 controller, or only the PS3 itself? It sucks that I have to do it while its on ya know. (or do I?)

Sorry no.

The controller has to handshake with a host to charge.
I plug my PS3 controllers into my Cable company DVR, HTPC, Sony DVR, or laptops. Any USB device that runs linux or windows seems to charge the controllers.

Wall usb charging adapters for MP3 players and such don't work.
post #832 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM

oh but my USB charger with mini-usb (i think thats that the ps3 connector is) plugged into my PC will work? I mean, my PC is on 24/7 whereas my PS3 is obviously not =P

Didnt want to break something testing it...

Thanks
post #833 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Sorry if this is a dumb question (i havent read the thread), but is there any way to get the PS3 to include the LFE channel if you have it set to decode audio to 2.0 PCM?

No. The stereo down-mix won't include LFE content. Now that doesn't mean you won't get bass. Audio tracks generally have lots of bass in the front speaker channels anyway since not everyone has a subwoofer. That bass will make it into the stereo down-mix. You just won't get the extreme dynamics that LFE is intended to carry (enhanced explosions and such).
--Bob

post #834 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachforlife View Post

oh but my USB charger with mini-usb (i think thats that the ps3 connector is) plugged into my PC will work? I mean, my PC is on 24/7 whereas my PS3 is obviously not =P

Didnt want to break something testing it...

Thanks

You won't break it. If the port lights start flashing on the controller then you are good to go -- it is charging. If they are not flashing then you need to find a different USB power source, one with some intelligence in the USB socket.
--Bob

post #835 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM

So here is the summary of the issue I'm having. When watching blu-ray movies certain movies discs will have skipping issues with audio and video for durations as short as 3secs and some as long as an entire track. When it occurs the audio drops out and the picture freezes and jump frames. While this is occurring there is a large amount of drive noise like its seeking information. The problem doesn't occur at the same spots in the movie always, and sometimes it wont occur at all.

Here are a list of variables I've eliminated and how I did so.

Controller dropout issue (left cable plugged in and/or turn controller off)
Net connectivity (unplugged ethernet and disabled bd connectivity)
Disc scratch (flawless discs)
PS3 needs reset (did the power switch hold power button trick)
Faulty TV (did it on my old 37 jv 37x688 also)

Here is my current setup.

PS3 hooked via hdmi to a denon avr-789 hooked to a samsung 52a650

PS3 settings are as follows
output format - auto
24hz output - auto
Linear PCM
sound codec settings - auto

Any suggestions? My employment allows us a flat 40% off sony players but I don't want to ad a 2nd player if I don't need one.
post #836 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Sounds like your PS3 is having optical drive problems. The laser head may be out of alignment for example or the tracking motor may not be functioning fast enough. What you describe sounds like the optical drive is trying to recover after losing its place.

Call Sony tech support for service.
--Bob

post #837 of 4488 Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 PM

i forgot to mention 1 detail that confirms or at least adds validity to your suggestion. When the skipping starts if I pause it for 5 secs that fixes the problem a good portion of the time.
post #838 of 4488 Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Quick question about standard DVDs and PS3:

Does the current firmware of the PS3 plays DVD of all areas or still remain with lame and annoying area limitation?
post #839 of 4488 Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM

First let me apologize if this is the wrong place to post this - if so, please move it to the correct place.

I recently got a PS3, mainly for playing BD movies. I have an ancient receiver and was looking to upgrade to take advantage of the better sound quality. I understand the PS3 won't send TrueHD as bitstream, as it does the decoding instead of the receiver doing the decoding. Since this is the case, is there any point in getting a TrueHD capable receiver or would something like the Sony STRDG720 be just fine? Thanks in advance...
post #840 of 4488 Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersolutions View Post

First let me apologize if this is the wrong place to post this - if so, please move it to the correct place.

I recently got a PS3, mainly for playing BD movies. I have an ancient receiver and was looking to upgrade to take advantage of the better sound quality. I understand the PS3 won't send TrueHD as bitstream, as it does the decoding instead of the receiver doing the decoding. Since this is the case, is there any point in getting a TrueHD capable receiver or would something like the Sony STRDG720 be just fine? Thanks in advance...

Just make sure the receiver can accept LPCM input over HDMI. That said, I have yet to see on that can decode TrueHD or DTS-MA that doesn't accept LPCM.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page