Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rujin View Post

Don't personally remember this setting nor have looked for it. Why do you need a vol setting on the PS3...isn't that what your surround system is for?

It was there (vol setting on PS3) before the last FW upgrade. I control VOL on my AVR. However, I found that cranking up the VOL on the PS3 sounded more dynamic in my system. May not have any basis in fact, but that was my perception.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

It was there (vol setting on PS3) before the last FW upgrade. I control VOL on my AVR. However, I found that cranking up the VOL on the PS3 sounded more dynamic in my system. May not have any basis in fact, but that was my perception.

Press triangle, then look for volume while playing a video. However it is reccomended not to keep it on any extreme as it may diminish sound quality.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Well Steve, which is better?

If you listen closely... you can hear the sound of my head exploding

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

If you listen closely... you can hear the sound of my head exploding

Yes, but was the little light lit up or not?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM

I just got my first PS3 last week. Before buying, I was excited to read on the "Firmware 2.50 and Hulu" thread that I you could watch videos on Hulu using the internet browser, without having to install PlayOn.

When I received PS3 and hooked it up, I updated the firmware to 2.52 and opened a browser. When I navigated to Hulu to play a video, it gave me a black screen with "loading content" or some inane filler in the window, but nothing ever started playing. I've tried it on three different occasions, with no luck. Hulu works fine on a laptop sitting 5 feet away and running on the same wireless network.

So I'm hoping that I'm just missing a piece or a setting to make this work. Otherwise I'm going to have problems using my wife's laptop as a media server for PlayOn, and I'd rather avoid that fight. Any good news out there for me?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil98 View Post

I just got my first PS3 last week. Before buying, I was excited to read on the "Firmware 2.50 and Hulu" thread that I you could watch videos on Hulu using the internet browser, without having to install PlayOn.

When I received PS3 and hooked it up, I updated the firmware to 2.52 and opened a browser. When I navigated to Hulu to play a video, it gave me a black screen with "loading content" or some inane filler in the window, but nothing ever started playing. I've tried it on three different occasions, with no luck. Hulu works fine on a laptop sitting 5 feet away and running on the same wireless network.

So I'm hoping that I'm just missing a piece or a setting to make this work. Otherwise I'm going to have problems using my wife's laptop as a media server for PlayOn, and I'd rather avoid that fight. Any good news out there for me?

Yes:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/25/...november-26th/
Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Yes:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/25/...november-26th/

Thank you. Feeling better already!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

Press triangle, then look for volume while playing a video. However it is reccomended not to keep it on any extreme as it may diminish sound quality.

After screwing around with 'REMOTE PLAY' to use the PSP as a in home remote to control the music stored on the PS3 and sent to an AVR (without having to keep your TV set @ ON)...I have come to the conclusion that the only logical use of the (press triangle) volume on the PS3 (and by the same token, the vol on the PSP) is only for controlling the volume of the AVR for that particular use only. That's probably why Sony increased the vol stepping in a recent update. This aforementioned use of the vol control does not degrade the sound quality of such music.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Yes, but was the little light lit up or not?

Check out the other thread - it happened...

Boom!!!!!

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Old 11-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Liked: 11
Can I stream HD content via ethernet from my HTPC to a PS3? Or is this only available through a dedicated media extender?

lan is all gig

Can the lan/PS3 support the needs of HD content and lossless audio? Then the PS3 can send to AVR via HDMI?

First HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD05B-USB3.0 case, PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP MB, i3-3225 3.3GHz CPU, G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory, A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" SSD and Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray.

Going to try out the HD4000 graphics for a bit.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can I stream HD content via ethernet from my HTPC to a PS3? Or is this only available through a dedicated media extender?

yes you can... you can set up Windows Media Player 11 to share your HTPC media with your PS3 and the HTPC will appear as a media source on the PS3 dashboard. PROVIDING the media is in a format that the PS3 understands (consult the PS3 online manual for the latest supported media types)

Quote:

Can the lan/PS3 support the needs of HD content and lossless audio?

I'm not so sure about the lossless audio... I don't think so...

Quote:

Then the PS3 can send to AVR via HDMI?

yes...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 11-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Quote:
yes you can... you can set up Windows Media Player 11 to share your HTPC media with your PS3 and the HTPC will appear as a media source on the PS3 dashboard.
PROVIDING the media is in a format that the PS3 understands (consult the PS3 online manual for the latest supported media types)

Quote:
Can the lan/PS3 support the needs of HD content and lossless audio?
I'm not so sure about the lossless audio... I don't think so...

Quote:
Then the PS3 can send to AVR via HDMI?
yes..

Sweet..wife won't be happy but I am!

First HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD05B-USB3.0 case, PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP MB, i3-3225 3.3GHz CPU, G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory, A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" SSD and Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryked View Post

lan is all gig

Can the lan/PS3 support the needs of HD content and lossless audio? Then the PS3 can send to AVR via HDMI?

You can send FLAC and many other formats using TVersity.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 PM

Have a new PS3 but, I do NOT have a wireless network.

Any recommendations on a secure router?

Anything to keep in mind to allow the PS3 access without a hardwire to the modem....my modem is on the second floor...PS3 on the first.

TIA.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post

Have a new PS3 but, I do NOT have a wireless network.

Any recommendations on a secure router?

Anything to keep in mind to allow the PS3 access without a hardwire to the modem....my modem is on the second floor...PS3 on the first.

TIA.

Ask here in the Wireless Router Poll (read even if not using currently) thread and you shall get a great answer.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:33 PM

My other concern is that since the PS3 doesn't upscale SD content on Bluray discs (that is correct, right?) -- then that would mean you're stuck watching that content either 4:3 letterboxed (in the center of your screen), or let your tv upscale it, right? (And I haven't read that many great things about the 50PZ800U's upscaling.) But if you had a Samsung 2550 or Panasonic BD35/55, with their supposed equal or better upscaling than the PS3, you'd get to watch the Bluray SD extras in high/equal quality upscaling as any other SD dvd... Is that correct? Or am I looking at that wrong? (Or is that not really a big deal...?)

(Note, I'm referring to upscaling to 1080p.)

Also, can anybody provide settings I should use on the PS3 (in regards to filters, etc.) when I test some SD dvd content on it at BB...? (And if you have instructions on menu access, etc. how to do it, that would be greatly appreciated.)

And any suggestions as to what SD dvds to try out on it? Scenes in particular?

Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomcounty View Post

My other concern is that since the PS3 doesn't upscale SD content on Bluray discs (that is correct, right?) -- then that would mean you're stuck watching that content either 4:3 letterboxed (in the center of your screen), or let your tv upscale it, right? (And I haven't read that many great things about the 50PZ800U's upscaling.) But if you had a Samsung 2550 or Panasonic BD35/55, with their supposed equal or better upscaling than the PS3, you'd get to watch the Bluray SD extras in high/equal quality upscaling as any other SD dvd... Is that correct? Or am I looking at that wrong? (Or is that not really a big deal...?)

(Note, I'm referring to upscaling to 1080p.)

Also, can anybody provide settings I should use on the PS3 (in regards to filters, etc.) when I test some SD dvd content on it at BB...? (And if you have instructions on menu access, etc. how to do it, that would be greatly appreciated.)

And any suggestions as to what SD dvds to try out on it? Scenes in particular?

Thanks again!

I can't answer this whole post, but stretching 4:3 content to fit a widescreen and "upscaling" are two entirely different things.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

I can't answer this whole post, but stretching 4:3 content to fit a widescreen and "upscaling" are two entirely different things.

I totally understand that. I wasn't referring to stretching 4:3 content at all (I don't actually consider that an option in any scenario, as I don't like it). I was referring to having to either watch the SD content on bluray discs (played on a PS3) in 4:3 aspect ratio (letterboxed within that 4:3 "square") in the center of the screen on your hidef display (not stretched), or letting your tv upscale the content -- since the PS3 won't do this. (And if that means if you had a 2550 or BD-35/55, with their supposed equal to or greater upscaling PQ, on those players your SD content on bluray discs would be upscaled by the player, and at the same PQ as it does any other SD content or disc.)

So is that correct? Or does it not matter? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Hope that all makes sense -- thanks!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 AM

I've been noticing that when I stream audio from my PC to the PS3 (mainly mp3's), that many times I get a lot of crackling and distortion in the sound. Anyone have a remedy for this? I searched the thread but didn't see anyone else speaking about this issue. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Is there any cheaper/better way to buy a PS3 than the Playstation card $150 credit?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramr View Post

Is there any cheaper/better way to buy a PS3 than the Playstation card $150 credit?

$150 off? That's a good deal.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramr View Post

Too bad thats not available in Canada!

Who needs another credit card any ways....

Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM

I just bought a new amp, a sony str-da2400es. I have it setup with hdmi video and audio connected to my PS3. It was set to linear pcm and I got 5.1 when in the menus but when I went to play Ironman 5.1 DDtruhd I get 2 channel. When I set it to bitstream I get DD 5.1 but the Truhd light isn't on on my reciever. I have a 5.1 speaker setup.

Is bitstream better or worse than LPCM?

What should my settings on each piece of hardware be?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Please use the PS3 FAQ thread. The PS3 will not bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS MAster. Bitstream is only for the legacy codecs,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1019115

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Why don’t I see True HD and DTS HD MA light up on my receiver when I play Blu Ray and HD DVD movies?

If you own a some older series HD players, for example Blu Ray players (Ex. Playstation 3, Samsung 1200) / HD DVD player Toshiba A2, A20); those players are NOT designed to output in lossless bitstream (Hard to think those are outdated technology already but for this kind of usage they are!). If you own one of these players its decoding these HD audio formats internally (instead of sending the signal to the receiver to decode). When using these older players you should set your player to output in PCM. It will send this PCM data "predecoded" to your receiver and your receiver doesn't have to do anything but play it. Therefore, your receiver will not show True HD or DTS HD MA light up (because it’s already been predecoded inside your player already) You ARE still getting True HD/DTS HD MA even though your player decodes it you just are not having to use your receiver to do the decoding.

This was taken from the Onkyo 705 FAQ thread but it is same for all receivers and PS3.

PSN - JRCROW
XBOX - jc23263
Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topic merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 11-30-2008, 07:53 PM

I understand about the bitstreaming but you still can't explain why I am not getting 5.1 through LPCM. It is two channel Ironman which is only in 5.1 truhd. Also can I get all codecs thru optical and are there any disadvantages to this. I am sorry I sound like a noob but I have not even thought about this stuff for 10 years and have alot to catch up on.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM

You can only get True HD through HDMI. Optical output isn't as good. My receiver (SONY HTIB) doesn't accept sound via HDMI so I am stuck with using optical and can't get the benefit of True HD sound.

As mentioned above, the PS3 decodes the audio so your receiver doesn't have to. I do not know why it isn't playing correctly however.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:21 PM

Found this and It WORKED!!!!!!!

From the thread for this title in the software forum, it has been confirmed that this title is doing something peculiar that activates the Dynamic Range Control in the PS3 and in many decoding receivers, causing the audio dynamics to be reduced by an unexpected amount when the decoding happens.

The fix is to go into the BD settings in the PS3 and change the Dynamic Range Control audio feature to "OFF". DRC is set to "Automatic" by factory default in the PS3.

Turning the DRC audio setting OFF in the PS3, and leaving it OFF, is also the recommended setting in the PS3 FAQ sticky thread in the Blu-Ray player forum here.

Decoding receivers (e.g., the Onkyo receivers) likely have a similar setting that needs to be checked/changed.

I think this should be added to the FAQ under the hookup configuration

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com