Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

rawl, can you run standard audio rca cables(red/white) from the DVR to the HTIB?
I would do that, and run optical from the PS3 to the HTIB.
The HTIB should be able to apply PLIIx to the rca inputs to give a surround sound.
Do you ever use the audio from the TV? or only the HTIB.

I don't ever use the audio from the TV. I guess the only time I might is if I were to use the upconverting dvd player that is built into the receiver.

another option is to buy the cable that converts the optical signal into a coax (I think). I do also have a plug for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post

I don't ever use the audio from the TV. I guess the only time I might is if I were to use the upconverting dvd player that is built into the receiver.

another option is to buy the cable that converts the optical signal into a coax (I think). I do also have a plug for that.

If that coax digital input is on a different input selection on the HTIB, you are set. If the two share the same input it is going to be no help.

I bet your DVR has a digital coax output on it (most cable DVRs seem to have them).

Optical to coax converters are pretty cheap.
post #1083 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you link me to one of IR optical audio switches you are talking about?

SPDIF or ADAT 4x1 Digital Audio Switcher $129

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm
Quote:

oh, and from what I understand, my crappy speakers wouldn't have much difference from bluray sound

I don't understand your comment. Bluray offers studio quality loss-less sound tracks. Only the best speakers and systems will be able to hear all the format has to offer.

If your HTIB has a passive sub-woofer, the speakers would be pretty much throw away. Have you ever said which HTIB system you bought?
post #1084 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post

OK, I have not done much research in quite awhile. Infact after reading some the last hour I see where I gave a stranger bad info (PS2's can play on PS3). I bought my PS3 over a year ago, it is the 80g that has some backward compatibility.
Anyway, my best friends wife called me to see which PS3 to get her huzband for Christmas, after reading some here and some at Sony, it seems the new 80 and 160g are the same. (Except of course the extra gigs!) Have I missed something?
Little help please.
For those wondering about buying one, I have had mine for over a year, it is awesome and the whole family LOVES it.
Thanks.

PS: can I record movies from a cable HD feed on to the PS3 HD? How?

I would consult the Sony website before you recommend buying a current production PS3. My understanding is that the current 80gb (no game bundled)and the new 160gb units have the perks of lower power consumption and quiter fans, but they are not backwards compatible. From what I could find, Sony was no longer planning to build backwards compatibility into new PS3s. That would be the reason I got a refurbed 80gb MGS4 package on ebay. A coworker just went through the same research, disappointment, and acceptance cycle, paying $500 on Amazon for a NIB MGS4 bundle. That appears to be the last production run with backwards compatibility. Good luck!
post #1085 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

SPDIF or ADAT 4x1 Digital Audio Switcher $129

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

I don't understand your comment. Bluray offers studio quality loss-less sound tracks. Only the best speakers and systems will be able to hear all the format has to offer.

If your HTIB has a passive sub-woofer, the speakers would be pretty much through away. Have you ever said which HTIB system you bought?

I bought the sony bravia 576.
post #1086 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

If that coax digital input is on a different input selection on the HTIB, you are set. If the two share the same input it is going to be no help.

hmm, it never occured to me that they could be on the same input. I'll have to see if it is.
post #1087 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hmm, it never occured to me that they could be on the same input. I'll have to see if it is.

They ARE on the same input. You only have ONE optical/coax input. You get 2channel BACK from the TV because that's what TV's output (Unless you have the ability to set the TV's spdif out to 'passthru', ie send OUT what it gets IN, you'll never get DTS, DD OUT of the TV into the HTiB).

Your only option for getting Surround from the DVR and the PS3 to your HTiB is to buy something like this; Monoprice SWITCH and plug the optical from the PS3 and the DVR into it, and then to your HTiB optical hole. This requires manual switching between sources, but is the cheapest way out for you.
post #1088 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

They ARE on the same input. You only have ONE optical/coax input. You get 2channel BACK from the TV because that's what TV's output (Unless you have the ability to set the TV's spdif out to 'passthru', ie send OUT what it gets IN, you'll never get DTS, DD OUT of the TV into the HTiB).

Your only option for getting Surround from the DVR and the PS3 to your HTiB is to buy something like this; Monoprice SWITCH and plug the optical from the PS3 and the DVR into it, and then to your HTiB optical hole. This requires manual switching between sources, but is the cheapest way out for you.

BTW, I have that switch and it works great.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work!
post #1089 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM

thanks guys! I'll probably be purchasing that
post #1090 of 4485 Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 PM

I have pictures that I downloaded onto the PS3. My question is can I get them back off to a flash drive? If I sign on to my webmail via the PS3 can I attach one of the pics that is downloaded to the PS3?
post #1091 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Observation and questions....

I bought one of the first Panny 35s that came out. Had operational glitches that I couldn't live with and returned it. A friend of mine received a Panny 35 from his employer as a Christmas gift. He can't use it, so I bought it from him for $60 as a back up.

I have a PS3 as a BD player. Hooked up the Panny, too for comparison's sake.

While, the LPCM out of the PS3 compared to the bitstream from the Panny yielded similar results, the PS3 was louder.

But, the PS3's picture looked softer and the colors looked muted when compared to the Panny 35.

Anyone compare these two? Results?

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1092 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quick question,

I have music stored on my PS3 and it is plays through the receiver via HDMI. At almost all the time the music glitches. It almost like it skips like a CD but you won't hear it until you get close to the speakers.
post #1093 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Quick question,

I have music stored on my PS3 and it is plays through the receiver via HDMI. At almost all the time the music glitches. It almost like it skips like a CD but you won't hear it until you get close to the speakers.

If it's a slight "ticking" sound then it was probably errors that were encountered when the disc was being ripped. Try cleaning the disc and reripping, and if you used something other than the PS3 to rip, see if the program has a "use error correction" option that can be enabled.
post #1094 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

But, the PS3's picture looked softer and the colors looked muted when compared to the Panny 35.

Anyone compare these two? Results?

Being a graphicsguy, I'm assuming you realize that the display device will need to be calibrated to each separate input device before you can really start doing output comparisons between the two.
post #1095 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone-Loc View Post

I have pictures that I downloaded onto the PS3. My question is can I get them back off to a flash drive? If I sign on to my webmail via the PS3 can I attach one of the pics that is downloaded to the PS3?

Yes you can. Insert the flash drive. Find the pictures or folder you want to copy on the PS3 (folders are easier than single pictures obviously), press the Triangle button, then there should be a 'copy' option. Select that, choose the flash drive as the destination, then go. Same can be done with music and videos, too.
post #1096 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

anyone know if a new ps3 Firmware update addresses the problem of the Nyko remote not being able to power on the ps3? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find confirmation.

Trying to decide on buying the Nyko to use now and later with a Universal

Or get the Sony and eventually the ps3toothfairy thing. The Nyko option is obviously cheaper so preferable.
post #1097 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Being a graphicsguy, I'm assuming you realize that the display device will need to be calibrated to each separate input device before you can really start doing output comparisons between the two.

Yes....calibrated both following the recommendations here.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1098 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:

thanks guys! I'll probably be purchasing that

As long as you bought what they linked for the switch at Monoprice you will be satisfied. I also run the same setup, my DVR and PS3 to the switch into my one spot in my HTIB. Everything works great!
post #1099 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
SMG

Hello, and thanks for a great FAQ. I read through it and didn't see my scenario covered.

I have a 1080P PJ connected via. HDMI, and would like to connect my Pioneer Plasma via. component video. I bought the sony multi-av component cable from Amazon, and hooked it up, but no picture on my Pioneer. I played around in the XMB, but didn't see how to make both outputs active.

This is crucial to my set up as the PS3 is my primary DVD player and I don't want to swap HDMI cables to watch a movie on my TV.

Please tell me some good news !

thanks,
Serv
post #1100 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Sorry, one of the braindead design decisions of the PS3 is that only one video output can be active. (The other one is that only one audio output can be active.)
post #1101 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Can/should information about the chroma upsampling feature be added to the FAQ?

Is there an option to turn this on/off in the menu somewhere, or is this something that is always on?

Has anybody used this or noticed a difference with it, bad or good?

Quote:
For Blu-ray Discs, this feature is only available when playing discs that are recorded in BDAV format. BDAV is a Blu-ray Disc video format.

Is this the format that most/all Bluray movies are recorded in? If so, do you see an improvement in PQ since this feature has been added?

Thanks! Have a good weekend, everyone!
post #1102 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomcounty View Post

Can/should information about the chroma upsampling feature be added to the FAQ?

Is there an option to turn this on/off in the menu somewhere, or is this something that is always on?

Has anybody used this or noticed a difference with it, bad or good?

Is this the format that most/all Bluray movies are recorded in? If so, do you see an improvement in PQ since this feature has been added?

Do you have a BDAV disc to even worry about it. I would never want to disable that feature. I should only improve the picture. Since I don't have a Bluray burner and HD homevideo camera, it is a don't care for me at the moment.
post #1103 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post

Hello, and thanks for a great FAQ. I read through it and didn't see my scenario covered.

I have a 1080P PJ connected via. HDMI, and would like to connect my Pioneer Plasma via. component video. I bought the sony multi-av component cable from Amazon, and hooked it up, but no picture on my Pioneer. I played around in the XMB, but didn't see how to make both outputs active.

This is crucial to my set up as the PS3 is my primary DVD player and I don't want to swap HDMI cables to watch a movie on my TV.

Please tell me some good news !

thanks,
Serv

The FAQ post should be updated with this information. It is so basic that I don't think about it any more, but new purchasers will need to know.

The PS3 doesn't support simultaneous HDMI and analog video output or simultaneous HDMI, optical, or analog audio output. Only one output per Audio/Video selection at a time.
post #1104 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner View Post

anyone know if a new ps3 Firmware update addresses the problem of the Nyko remote not being able to power on the ps3? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find confirmation.

Or get the Sony and eventually the ps3toothfairy thing. The Nyko option is obviously cheaper so preferable.

does someone mind providing a link to this? i would love to be able to use the harmony and program the remote to power on the PS3
post #1105 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomcounty View Post

No. Commercial Blu-Ray discs are all BDMV. If the disc has menus or is copy protected then it is authored in BDMV.

BDAV is for owner produced content that has a simple playback structure and is not encrypted.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/bd-mv.cfm

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/bdav.cfm

BDAV is primarily used for stuff burned to disc from HD camcorders. As such, motion adaptive color upsampling can help the image quality.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1106 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No such firmware is ever expected.
Quote:

does someone mind providing a link to this? i would love to be able to use the harmony and program the remote to power on the PS3

How can we provide a link to something that doesn't exist.
post #1107 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks, folks! Now I understand that it's if you have blurays you burned yourself and doesn't apply to regular movies (and so won't apply to me). Good to know!
post #1108 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the latest makes it possible to turn off, not on. so turning on is still an issue. firmware 2.5

If you plugged the Nyko USB into a nearby CPU instead of the ps3, would it work? That way the cpu is providing power to the USB hub.
post #1109 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I think the latest makes it possible to turn off, not on. so turning on is still an issue. firmware 2.5

If you plugged the Nyko USB into a nearby CPU instead of the ps3, would it work? That way the cpu is providing power to the USB hub.

The Nyko will not handle power - AFAK.

I use the PS3ToothFairy. It allows both power on and off. The IR2BT device works like this, too - so I understand. These features were available both before and after 2.5x, although there was some issues (resolved) back in the the 2.4x range.

I can recommend the PS3TF 100%.

I am also using a Harmony One remote and switching activities to/from the PS3 is effortless and flawless.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #1110 of 4485 Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Hi
I'm getting this message when I try to play Deception blu-ray disc on the ps3:

WARNING: This player is not equipped with the latest firmware and is unable to play this disc. Please visit your manufacturer's website and follow their instructions on how to install the firmware on your player.
For more information on Blu-ray and firmware updates please visit www dot foxbd dot com/cs (Sorry, they won't let me post the url)

I believe I have the latest ps3 system update at 2.53 and I have been able to play other movies i.e. Tropic thunder, iron man, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page