Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

Remember the PS3, the 40 GB model, that shipped bundled with Spider man 3 bluray? Which kind of PS3 is that? I mean as far as I know it is not backwards compatible, but I wanna what kinda parts it has. I got worried when Bob said "older, hotter running parts" Does my PS3 have this? what is the 45nm? is that good or bad? is my PS3 worse or better than the new ones?

Yours is the newest and coolest that is currently available. It uses 65nm technology. The 45nm technology will probably reach the market sometime next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 View Post

Yes I did both of those things, including going to the right and pressing X. I tested the DVR box in both audio slots and it worked in both of them so i know its not the cable and also not the onkyo.....

It sounds like you may have a defective PS3 with a dead optical output. Before giving up, you may want to try a full reset of the unit. Start by removing power from the unit for a few seconds (turn the master power switch on the back of the console to off for perhaps 15 seconds then turn it back on). Next do a system restore to default settings:

XMB >>> Settings >>> System Settings >>> Restore Default Settings

Info HERE

After completing the restore go thru the set up again and see if that helps. If not then you should call Sony customer support. I sounds like your PS3 is past it's one year warranty period, so Sony will likely make you pay to have the unit repaired if it is really a hardware failure.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #123 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks Ron. I am @ work right now but will try the reset when i get home.

actually, the ps3 is about 2 months old from walmart- hopefully it will be repaired for free if that is what it needs.

what i dont understand is if my TV cant convert the HDMI to optical for output, what is the point of having the optical output?!!
post #124 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Oh yeah also, not sure if this helps but when i plug in the optical to the PS3 port the wire does turn red as if it is transmitting a signal like it is supposed to....
post #125 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:

what i dont understand is if my TV cant convert the HDMI to optical for output, what is the point of having the optical output?!!

Hi,

It certainly is a puzzler. Why not output the audio for whatever is being fed to the TV? The only thing I can think of is cost - TV manufacturers would have to build in decoders that add cost, and figuring that most people have an AVR in the system, it would be redundant. Key advantage would be to reduce some of that rat's nest of wires in the back.

Its only function is to output audio from the tuner as there is no other way to obtain that in an HT setup if you don't have a cable box or equivalent.

Regards,
Adnan
post #126 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
B72

question:

does the PS3 have an option to output SD DVDs at 1080p/24 ?
post #127 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

XMB >>> Settings >>> System Settings >>> Restore Default Settings

Ron Jones

I checked the link to see this before i asked, will I lose my saved game files on the ps3? my guess would be no since that is on the Hard Drive and not on the system settings, will i have to setup network settings etc... all over again? (not that big of a deal just curious)

Also, thought of a few other questions,

1.) should i have dolby, dts, AAC selected and NEITHER of the PCM Options? (they appear to be greyed out as if i have to select them)
2.) In the blue ray section should dynamic range control be turned OFF since that is for use with linnear PCM only?
3.) in the BD/DVD section should does it matter if the HDMI audio output is set at bitstream or linnear (since i am not using HDMI anyway?)
post #128 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked the link to see this before i asked, will I lose my saved game files on the ps3? my guess would be no since that is on the Hard Drive and not on the system settings, will i have to setup network settings etc... all over again? (not that big of a deal just curious)

Also, thought of a few other questions,

1.) should i have dolby, dts, AAC selected and NEITHER of the PCM Options? (they appear to be greyed out as if i have to select them)
2.) In the blue ray section should dynamic range control be turned OFF since that is for use with linnear PCM only?
3.) in the BD/DVD section should does it matter if the HDMI audio output is set at bitstream or linnear (since i am not using HDMI anyway?)

will I lose my saved game files: probably not, but I have not tried doing a system restore myself so perhaps other forum member will know for sure

will i have to setup network settings etc... all over again? yes

should i have dolby, dts, AAC selected and NEITHER of the PCM Options? (they appear to be greyed out as if i have to select them) The basic PCM 2-channel audio (Linear PCM 44.1 KHZ and Linear PCM 48 KHz) are selected by default since this is the format that is used for playing CDs and any basic PCM stereo track on DVDs. The higher bit rate PCM formats should only be selected if you can confirm that your receiver will support these. You should also have the settings checked for DTS, Dolby and AAC. Here is an example of what the screen should look like (however the 88.2 KHz PCM option is also checked in this photo).

In the blue ray section should dynamic range control be turned OFF since that is for use with linnear PCM only? Select either off or auto

in the BD/DVD section should does it matter if the HDMI audio output is set at bitstream or linnear it won't matter if you have it set to bitstream or LPCM via HDMI since you are setting your PS3 to output the audio via optical.

Ron Jones
post #129 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ABOVE:
"in the BD/DVD section should does it matter if the HDMI audio output is set at bitstream or linnear it won't matter if you have it set to bitstream or LPCM via HDMI since you are setting your PS3 to output the audio via optical."

IF you are gonna be using optical you will be missing out on HD audio. FYI just in case you didnt know.
post #130 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post

question:

Yes, it has an option for 1080p\\24 playback
post #131 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post

question:

No, and I'm not sure what benefit that would have since SD DVDs aren't stored at 480i/24. At least not that I know of. If you're talking about homemade DVDs then I could see the benefit if they are authored that way, but no the PS3 will not allow it.

Quote:

Yes, it has an option for 1080p\\24 playback

That's only for Blu-ray discs. Not SD DVDs.

This sounds like a good addition to the FAQ?

Brandon
post #132 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

No, and I'm not sure what benefit that would have since SD DVDs aren't stored at 480i/24. At least not that I know of. If you're talking about homemade DVDs then I could see the benefit if they are authored that way, but no the PS3 will not allow it.

Brandon

My bad. Should ve read closer.
B72:You will only get benefit with 24 frames per sec with blu ray and a 120hz tv, FYI
post #133 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My bad. Should ve read closer.
B72:You will only get benefit with 24 frames per sec with blu ray and a 120hz tv, FYI

Actually a HDTV that displays at a multiple of 24 (e.g., 72, 96, 120Hz).

Ron Jones
post #134 of 4480 Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM

[quote=Ron Jones;14599379]will I lose my saved game files: probably not, but I have not tried doing a system restore myself so perhaps other forum member will know for sure

[Just an update- the answer is no but the system restore did not fix my problem :-( thanks for the help though, seems like maybe a bad optical port in the back, next step is calling sony.
post #135 of 4480 Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Brandon

It's already in Post #1 that 1080p/24 applies it BDs and not to DVDs.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
post #136 of 4480 Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 AM

Maybe it only started to append in the last 6 month on my PS3, or maybe I am just paying more attention to that specific problem. but it seem that my PS3 is outputting the video before the audio via my HDMI setup.

let me explain :

first, I got the PS3 hooked up via HDMI to my RXV-1800 Yamaha receiver then the HDMI video out goes to my Optoma HD80 projector. sound setting output PCM audio, and video is 1080p/24hz for blu-ray and 1080p/60hz for dvd obviously.

now I also got a Oppo upscaling dvd player and a HD-A3 HD-dvd player. when I play a dvd(or hd-dvd) via those 2 players, I usually need to delay the audio on my receiver about 30ms. and this is very consistent and doesn't seem to change while the movie progress all the way to the end of a 2h movie.

now on my PS3 it seem like 75%(and it seem to append more with DTS MA sound track) of the time the video seem to come before the sound. something like maybe 20-25ms. of course my receiver can't delay video, only audio so there isn't much I can do about that. but what is even more curious is that it seem like sometimes this delay get worse as the movie progress, so when I reach mid point of a movie the delay might be 50ms, or if it was spot on at the beginning, then I will get the 30ms delay at some point. it seem like chapter skipping or selecting a new chapter via the menu fix the problem so it is definitely a playback problem.

I remember back in the era of my PS2(my first dvd player) I had this very same issue with movie getting out of sync thru the playback of a movie. It was even the reason I bought a stand alone dvd player.

Am I the only one with this problem??

-Phil
"Tempo is everything, perfection unattainable..."
post #137 of 4480 Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM

Thank you for taking them time and creating a set up doc. This helped me set up my PS3 to 606 to help get the full audio/video experience and sounds great. My PS3 is the MGS4 bundle, I wanted it so I can play some ps2 games but also consolidate all the stuff I have hooked up.
post #138 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The menu that you get with the green triangle buttom keeps popping up while watching a movie. I press the button to turn it off but a few minutes later it happens again. Anyone else experience this and is a side effect of a software update? My last update was the on that gave the PS3 the ability to decode Dolby and DTS lossless sound tracks.
post #139 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

The menu that you get with the green triangle buttom keeps popping up while watching a movie. I press the button to turn it off but a few minutes later it happens again. Anyone else experience this and is a side effect of a software update? My last update was the on that gave the PS3 the ability to decode Dolby and DTS lossless sound tracks.

It sounds like you have a sticky button. Are you using the controller or the BD remote? Whichever it is, press the button repeatedly for a minute or two to try to work whatever is causing it out. Also try rolling your finger around on the button while it's pressed. And, though not necessary, consider updating your firmware, since it sounds like the one you have is about 6 months old and 4 or 5 versions behind.
post #140 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 AM

I am thinking about selling my 360 and getting a PS3 instead. Right now I have my 360 hooked up to my TV via only HDMI, and toslink only to my AVR. The sound comes through both the TV and the AVR, so when I just want to use the TV speakers I turn off the AVR, and when I want to hear the audio through the AVR I turn off the volume on my TV.

So based on the FAQ above, and assuming I would fall under case # 5, I will not be able to do this with the PS3 right? If I want to hear the sound through the TV speakers I will have to go to the menu and switch the audio output to HDMI, and when I want to hear audio through the AVR, I will have to go to the menu and switch the audio to toslink? That's kind of annoying. Is this something that might be corrected through a firmware update, or is this a limitation of the hardware?
post #141 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it sounds like the one you have is about 6 months old and 4 or 5 versions behind.

+1

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #142 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM

ight now I'm trying to figure out this whole Limited vs Full issue.

I've seen it mentioned several times that it should be set to Limited. Yet the folks in the owner's thread for my television suggest Full. I've been testing it trying to see the difference, but I'm still not sure which is better yet.

It's either Full with HDMI Black Level on Normal or Limited with HDMI Black Level on Low.
post #143 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

it sounds like the one you have is about 6 months old and 4 or 5 versions behind.

+2. definitely check your controller as he mentioned too. does it happen with all your controllers or just the one?
post #144 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

ight now I'm trying to figure out this whole Limited vs Full issue.

I've seen it mentioned several times that it should be set to Limited. Yet the folks in the owner's thread for my television suggest Full. I've been testing it trying to see the difference, but I'm still not sure which is better yet.

It's either Full with HDMI Black Level on Normal or Limited with HDMI Black Level on Low.

Don't know what TV you have, but most likely you want your TV set to normal and set the PS3 to "limited". Then use a calibration disk to set your black levels properly.

The "RGB FULL" mode is for computer monitors or TVs that force themselves to act like computer monitors when they see an RGB signal.
post #145 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

Don't know what TV you have, but most likely you want your TV set to normal and set the PS3 to "limited". Then use a calibration disk to set your black levels properly.

The "RGB FULL" mode is for computer monitors or TVs that force themselves to act like computer monitors when they see an RGB signal.

Thanks. It's a new 61" Samsung LED DLP.
post #146 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The batteries in the remote quit so I picked up the controller to operate the PS3. The problem happened with both remotes though and has happened on another occassion a few months ago. I talked to Sony and they want me to send the system in for a 149.00 fix. Though it's a distraction to keep hitting the button, I think I'll check for other things before I go that route. Everything else is fine.

The problem appeared right after the last update mentioned above. I am the only one who touches the system (no kids, wife not interested) so there no chance of sticky stuff from the hands being the culprit or remote drops to the floor. I hadn't touched the controller for some time either. I'll massage the green triangle button for a while to see if that works. Thanks for posting concerning this problem and if you are having that problem, please share.
post #147 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question:

I have a PS3 via hdmi to a dvdo vp50 and then hdmi from the vp50 to a Sharp Aquous LCD. I have noticed that the Blu-Ray movies I play on the PS3 seem to have a video-ish look to them. They do not look like film, they look a bit grainy and like a video. I have set the PS3 to 1080p/24 and let the vp50 convert to 1080p/60 because I assume that the dvdo will do a better job of 3:2 than the LCD.

Any thoughts as to why the movies look, and I have no better description unfortunately, but video-ish?

Thanks, John
post #148 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

You probably have your sets 120HZ setting turned on. The look is more like a soap opera correct? I would turn it off. That is good for sporting events or soap operas IMHO. Try plugging your PS3 directly into your set. Your TV should do a good job so let it do its job before putting the dvdo in the mix.
post #149 of 4480 Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM

I will drop the dvdo out from doing the 3:2, but my set came out one year before Sharp did 120hz. But you are right, it does look like a soap opera! But I will still drop the dvdo out. Should I also stop forcing the PS3 to do 1080p/24?
post #150 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone have a clue when Sony Style will have these back in stock? Waiting on my order to take advantage of the $150 off.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page