Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Member
 
mhaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Anyone have a clue when Sony Style will have these back in stock? Waiting on my order to take advantage of the $150 off.

I'm waiting too. Ordered it on September 4th, when did you order yours? I called Sony Style yesterday to ask if there is an ETA of when they'd be in stock, the person I talked to had no clue when.
mhaider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Member
 
jrayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was having problems with my system not staying on 1080p (according to my TV). When I play a 1080p game it sometimes shows correctly then sometimes it drops to 720- I have a 1.3 HDMI cable too. I asked someone about this in my TV thread and they told me to try setting it up on 1080p and 480 as the only accepted resolutions. It working fine so far, but what if I want to play or watch something that 720? Do I have to switch it back each time or what? Any solutions will be appreciated, thanks
jrayd is offline  
post #153 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Member
 
Burrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

Don't know what TV you have, but most likely you want your TV set to normal and set the PS3 to "limited". Then use a calibration disk to set your black levels properly.

The "RGB FULL" mode is for computer monitors or TVs that force themselves to act like computer monitors when they see an RGB signal.

So I want to clarify something regarding this. According to a couple of posts, if you set the BD/DVD settings to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr "ON" and Superwhite "ON," the RGB setting will not affect BD/DVD playback, but for the XMB and gaming the RGB setting does come into effect. I would think you would want to set the RGB setting to Full for gaming right? Did I get this correct, or am I completely off? By the way I have a 46" XBR2.
Burrens is offline  
post #154 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bplewis24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 7,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgoth View Post

They do not look like film, they look a bit grainy and like a video.

Grain isn't attributable to video. Grain is an aspect of film transfers. You are likely seeing what you should be seeing, and maybe are expecting a smoother, grainless look? Not all movies are going to look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrens View Post

So I want to clarify something regarding this. According to a couple of posts, if you set the BD/DVD settings to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr "ON" and Superwhite "ON," the RGB setting will not affect BD/DVD playback

No, superwhite has no bearing on which colorspace is used for BD/DVD playback. The setting is "Video Output Format." If it's set to "auto" then it will use Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr during BD/DVD playback, which is optimal since the 'superwhite' setting is the only way to pass BTB and Peak White info.

Brandon
bplewis24 is offline  
post #155 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgoth View Post

Hi,

I have set the PS3 to 1080p/24 and let the vp50 convert to 1080p/60 because I assume that the dvdo will do a better job of 3:2 than the LCD.

I think that is a terrible assumption. One of the points of a 120Hz video processing is to make the video up conversion smooth. You are now adding none-symmetric 3:2 pull down via the dvdo and then the TV doubles that number. So your are viewing 6:4 pull down (yuk). That means one frame of the film is held for 6 frames of video and the next frame is held for 4 frames of video. If you let the TV do the 24p to 120Hz conversion is will have a nice symmetric 5:5 pull down (5 copies of each film frame).

And if you are using the PReP function of the DVDO on the PS3 output while the PS3 is playing a normal Bluray movie you are going to mess up the video. The PReP funtion assumes the source was interlaced and a standard 3:2 pull down was used. Bluray's sourced from movies and never interlaced and are 24P on the disc, so there is no deinterlacing errors introduced by the PS3 for Bluray movies.
WhatHappend is offline  
post #156 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay_Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrens View Post

So I want to clarify something regarding this. According to a couple of posts, if you set the BD/DVD settings to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr "ON" and Superwhite "ON," the RGB setting will not affect BD/DVD playback, but for the XMB and gaming the RGB setting does come into effect. I would think you would want to set the RGB setting to Full for gaming right? Did I get this correct, or am I completely off? By the way I have a 46" XBR2.

As the other poster said, unless you force RGB mode for video output, it will only be used for the XMB and games. However, that doesn't change the effect of "RGB full" mode. Only set "RGB Full" if your TV/Monitor expecting a computer input.

Some TVs have an option to tell it what to expect, in those cases as long as what you told the TV matches what you set the PS3 for, it will look OK (it doesn't matter whether it's FULL toFULL or Limited to Limited, you'll see the same thing).
Jay_Davis is offline  
post #157 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Member
 
RedSwirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A lot of people picked at Sony for talking about how the PS3 would sell even with "no games," (the PS2 sold well in 2000 with almost no good games because of its DVD functionality) and how it was just a glorified video player, but that's exactly the reason why people like my brother bought the thing... with no games.

My brother hasn't given a crap about games in general since the Super NES and yet he loves his PS3 because of how great a movie player it is - for the DVD upconversion and how many features it has compared to most players and so far has only bought and downloaded movies for it. No games.

I also like it a lot as a video player and use it as such more than I play games on it. I watch all my anime on it, own maybe 10 Blu-Ray movies, and haven't used any of my DVD players since getting a PS3.

Now, do you guys think he was crazy or is the PS3 in some ways worth it just as a movie player?

Tangential Question: Do you think it would have been a good idea for Sony to advertise the PS3's capabilities as a video player just as much as they advertised it as a game console?



...oh, and my brother's always worrying about wearing out the drive on the PS3 so he seldom plays DVDs on it (that's what he keeps around his HD-DVD player for). Should he be?
RedSwirl is offline  
post #158 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
White Lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just want to throw some new, snes games on my new ps3, anything you guys recommend? Plus, do you recommend downloading the newest software? -new 80 gig model
White Lightning is offline  
post #159 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Member
 
silverbullet763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, I don't think he's crazy. The PS3 is a very capable Blu-ray player. It is cheaper than the standalone units on the market. It is also the most stable in my opinion The unit's load times are wonderful. The PS3 was the first unit to be Profile 2 capable. I use my PS3 for bluray only and use a separate player for dvds. There have been instances where the bluray drive has failed. I doubt that it is that wide spread, but I like to play it safe by using another player for dvds.
silverbullet763 is offline  
post #160 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
seggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My PS3 was bought solely for DVD/BD playing. Then I found the media centre functionality and all was much better.

My PS3 will be very unlikely to see a game.

As for wearing out the drive, I would think that he doesn't have too much to be worried about running the thing with a couple of DVDs a day.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
seggers is online now  
post #161 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,678
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet763 View Post

No, I don't think he's crazy. The PS3 is a very capable Blu-ray player. It is cheaper than the standalone units on the market. It is also the most stable in my opinion The unit's load times are wonderful. The PS3 was the first unit to be Profile 2 capable. I use my PS3 for bluray only and use a separate player for dvds. There have been instances where the bluray drive has failed. I doubt that it is that wide spread, but I like to play it safe by using another player for dvds.

While the PS3 is no longer "cheaper than the standalone unit", it still is one of the better values around as a Blu-ray Disc player. Standalone players now start at $229 (the Funai manufactured Insignia at Best Buy) and the Sony S350 is dropping to a suggest retail price of $299 later this month. I would expect the prices for entry level standalone players to drop below $200 before Christmas while the PS3 prices may hold at or near the current $400 level. As the price spread between the PS3 and the entry level standalone BD players increase I would expect to see BD player sales (in terms of %) shift more toward standalone players with the PS3 having a lower share of the BD player market.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #162 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,678
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post

I just want to throw some new, snes games on my new ps3, anything you guys recommend? Plus, do you recommend downloading the newest software? -new 80 gig model

There is Linux available for use with the PS3 and some people have used a Linux based SENS emulator with their PS3. You may get more informed inputs by posting on a PS3 gaming forum (this one is specifically for using the PS3 as a Blu-ray Disc/DVD player and is not focused on the gaming capabilities or possibilities for the PS3.

Here are a few links that may be able to get you started (Google and you will find many more):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWa22bCpUJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17c79eVh7Q

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/01/y...ree-how-is-it/


And for you 2nd question - Yes - go ahead and download and install the latest firmware on your new PS3.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #163 of 4480 Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
petrovy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgoth View Post

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question:

I have a PS3 via hdmi to a dvdo vp50 and then hdmi from the vp50 to a Sharp Aquous LCD. I have noticed that the Blu-Ray movies I play on the PS3 seem to have a video-ish look to them. They do not look like film, they look a bit grainy and like a video. I have set the PS3 to 1080p/24 and let the vp50 convert to 1080p/60 because I assume that the dvdo will do a better job of 3:2 than the LCD.

Any thoughts as to why the movies look, and I have no better description unfortunately, but video-ish?

Thanks, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgoth View Post

I will drop the dvdo out from doing the 3:2, but my set came out one year before Sharp did 120hz. But you are right, it does look like a soap opera! But I will still drop the dvdo out. Should I also stop forcing the PS3 to do 1080p/24?

That's a good idea..1080p/24 works most effectively on TV's that use 120Hz, and even then not all will provide a real 5:5 pulldown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

I think that is a terrible assumption. One of the points of a 120Hz video processing is to make the video up conversion smooth. You are now adding none-symmetric 3:2 pull down via the dvdo and then the TV doubles that number. So your are viewing 6:4 pull down (yuk). That means one frame of the film is held for 6 frames of video and the next frame is held for 4 frames of video. If you let the TV do the 24p to 120Hz conversion is will have a nice symmetric 5:5 pull down (5 copies of each film frame).

And if you are using the PReP function of the DVDO on the PS3 output while the PS3 is playing a normal Bluray movie you are going to mess up the video. The PReP funtion assumes the source was interlaced and a standard 3:2 pull down was used. Bluray's sourced from movies and never interlaced and are 24P on the disc, so there is no deinterlacing errors introduced by the PS3 for Bluray movies.

Agree that forcing 1080p/24 into a dvdo and then converting that to 60fps must be screwing something up.
As mentioned previously, set the video output on the PS3 to AUTO and try a direct HDMI connection to the Sharp.
BTW..some folks like that 'live/video/smooth 3D'ish' look...in fact, I paid xtra for that 'special feature' (an unexpected and multi-level effect of AMP) on my 120Hz Samsung LCD.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
petrovy is offline  
post #164 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Norgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for all the responses. I will be making the changes this evening and will report back.
Norgoth is offline  
post #165 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Member
 
horuscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I was wondering if someone might have some idea about a problem I'm having. I asked in the thread for my model TV but I didn't have much luck.

So here's the deal. When I'm using the PS3 it seems like I'm getting about 4 pixels or so worth of underscan on the right hand side of the screen. This is in 1:1 pixel mapping mode on the TV. this happens both in the dash and when watching a blu-ray movie but it doesn't happen when watching an SD-DVD. I've tried bypassing my receiver and plugging the PS3 straight into the TV but I get the same thing. I've also tried different HDMI cables and inputs. If I put the TV in overscan mode it goes away so there's not actually anything wrong with the pixels themselves. I tried resetting the PS3 to the system defaults but it's still there. My Xbox 360 doesn't seem to do the same thing.

Anyone got any ideas?
horuscg is offline  
post #166 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bplewis24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 7,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by horuscg View Post

Hey guys I was wondering if someone might have some idea about a problem I'm having. I asked in the thread for my model TV but I didn't have much luck.

So here's the deal. When I'm using the PS3 it seems like I'm getting about 4 pixels or so worth of underscan on the right hand side of the screen. This is in 1:1 pixel mapping mode on the TV. this happens both in the dash and when watching a blu-ray movie but it doesn't happen when watching an SD-DVD. I've tried bypassing my receiver and plugging the PS3 straight into the TV but I get the same thing. I've also tried different HDMI cables and inputs. If I put the TV in overscan mode it goes away so there's not actually anything wrong with the pixels themselves. I tried resetting the PS3 to the system defaults but it's still there. My Xbox 360 doesn't seem to do the same thing.

Anyone got any ideas?

What display are you using? I seem to recall some Samsung owners (of a particular model, can't remember which) had this issue in full-pixel mode.

I'm using the PS3 in full pixel mode and do not get this problem.

Brandon
bplewis24 is offline  
post #167 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Member
 
horuscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

What display are you using? I seem to recall some Samsung owners (of a particular model, can't remember which) had this issue in full-pixel mode.

I'm using the PS3 in full pixel mode and do not get this problem.

Brandon

Panasonic 46PZ85U. I got it about 4 months ago. No problems with it so far.

To be honest it's hard to see from a regular seating distance but it bugs me since I know it's there.

It looks like the type of thing you see when an HD channel isn't displaying in full 1080. The best way I can describe how it looks is that those few pixels on the right hand side look like they are slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. You can still see the image, it just looks a bit brighter.
horuscg is offline  
post #168 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 AM
 
jrcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question...

I did something stupid. My TV stand does not have enough ventilation. I have to keep the doors open when using the PS3 or else it gets very hot and very loud. Last night when I went to bed I shut the doors...but left the PS3 on all night long. It was very hot this morning.

Now, I didn't notice this. I was already at work and my wife called me. She shut it off and left the door open to allow it to cool.

Should I be worried about any possible damage?
jrcorwin is offline  
post #169 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
petrovy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Quick question...

I did something stupid. My TV stand does not have enough ventilation. I have to keep the doors open when using the PS3 or else it gets very hot and very loud. Last night when I went to bed I shut the doors...but left the PS3 on all night long. It was very hot this morning.

Now, I didn't notice this. I was already at work and my wife called me. She shut it off and left the door open to allow it to cool.

Should I be worried about any possible damage?

Should not be a problem if the PS3 went into SLEEP mode....a lot less heat produced.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
petrovy is offline  
post #170 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,678
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by horuscg View Post

Hey guys I was wondering if someone might have some idea about a problem I'm having. I asked in the thread for my model TV but I didn't have much luck.

So here's the deal. When I'm using the PS3 it seems like I'm getting about 4 pixels or so worth of underscan on the right hand side of the screen. This is in 1:1 pixel mapping mode on the TV. this happens both in the dash and when watching a blu-ray movie but it doesn't happen when watching an SD-DVD. I've tried bypassing my receiver and plugging the PS3 straight into the TV but I get the same thing. I've also tried different HDMI cables and inputs. If I put the TV in overscan mode it goes away so there's not actually anything wrong with the pixels themselves. I tried resetting the PS3 to the system defaults but it's still there. My Xbox 360 doesn't seem to do the same thing.

Anyone got any ideas?


Quote:
Originally Posted by horuscg View Post

Panasonic 46PZ85U. I got it about 4 months ago. No problems with it so far.

To be honest it's hard to see from a regular seating distance but it bugs me since I know it's there.

It looks like the type of thing you see when an HD channel isn't displaying in full 1080. The best way I can describe how it looks is that those few pixels on the right hand side look like they are slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. You can still see the image, it just looks a bit brighter.

Underscan would normally imply that there would be black pixels, not a brighter image.

I suggest you post on the appropriate thread in the display forum area for owners of xxPZ85U series to see if other owners have seen this issue when using a PS3 or any other 1080p source.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #171 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone else have a problem with the PS3 fan kicking on during SD DVD playback?

It is whisper quiet during BR and games, but man, put in an SD DVD, and the fan fires up within 15 minutes (I'm currently 16 minutes into an SD DVD and it's been on for a couple minutes).

And yes, it's ventilated (and if it wasn't ventilated enough, wouldn't it kick on during BR playback).

Could this be because of the upscaling? Should I disable that?
mproper is offline  
post #172 of 4480 Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steven975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you should open it up and disconnect the fan.







that was a joke.
steven975 is offline  
post #173 of 4480 Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,678
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Does anyone else have a problem with the PS3 fan kicking on during SD DVD playback?

It is whisper quiet during BR and games, but man, put in an SD DVD, and the fan fires up within 15 minutes (I'm currently 16 minutes into an SD DVD and it's been on for a couple minutes).

And yes, it's ventilated (and if it wasn't ventilated enough, wouldn't it kick on during BR playback).

Could this be because of the upscaling? Should I disable that?

Certainly some PS3 owners have issues with the fan noise going up during DVD playback and/or BD playback. This seems to vary between individual PS3 units. Some owners have either exchanged their units (if within the return period for the store where you purchased your PS3) or returned their unit to Sony to have it serviced. The PS3 does produce significant heat and perhaps having the fan speed go from low to medium during heavy CPU use is considered normal and is acceptable to many users (and to Sony). However a well ventilated PS3 need not go into high fan speed under normal operation. I have two PS3s and either produces objectionable fan noise.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #174 of 4480 Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Certainly some PS3 owners have issues with the fan noise going up during DVD playback and/or BD playback. This seems to vary between individual PS3 units. Some owners have either exchanged their units (if within the return period for the store where you purchased your PS3) or returned their unit to Sony to have it serviced. The PS3 does produce significant heat and perhaps having the fan speed go from low to medium during heavy CPU use is considered normal and is acceptable to many users (and to Sony). However a well ventilated PS3 need not go into high fan speed under normal operation. I have two PS3s and either produces objectionable fan noise.

Thanks. Obviously I meant that the fan kicks into high gear during SD DVD playback, not that it just kicks on. Strange how it's just during SD playback, which is why I thought maybe the upscaling is causing it to run hotter than usual.
mproper is offline  
post #175 of 4480 Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Norgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just one clarification: My Sharp LCD is over a year old and is the model that came out just before they enabled 120hz.

I changed the PS3 BD video output setting for 24hz to "off" rather than "on" or "automatic". I also set the digital noise reduction to "low" on my LCD. The Blu-Ray movies look smoother and a bit less fake looking. Sometimes with my old settings the Blu-Ray movies looked, I am not sure how to really describe this, slightly surreal. The faces were not quite smooth. There was an odd texture to their skin.

In any event, thanks for all the input.
Norgoth is offline  
post #176 of 4480 Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Thanks. Obviously I meant that the fan kicks into high gear during SD DVD playback, not that it just kicks on. Strange how it's just during SD playback, which is why I thought maybe the upscaling is causing it to run hotter than usual.

If you do a google search you can find power consumption numbers for the PS3 when upscaling SD-DVD content vs. how much power it uses for BD play.

I'm pretty sure that it uses substantially more power for BD playback than SD-DVD upscaling so it sounds like there could be something unusual going on with your setup.

Also, which version of the PS3 do you have? The newer ones run a lot cooler than the older ones.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #177 of 4480 Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
nealh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

If you do a google search you can find power consumption numbers for the PS3 when upscaling SD-DVD content vs. how much power it uses for BD play.

I'm pretty sure that it uses substantially more power for BD playback than SD-DVD upscaling so it sounds like there could be something unusual going on with your setup.

Also, which version of the PS3 do you have? The newer ones run a lot cooler than the older ones.

Hmm..I thought upscaling used more power and thus created more heat
nealh is offline  
post #178 of 4480 Old 09-13-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

Hmm..I thought upscaling used more power and thus created more heat

It does... SD playback will generate more heat than BD playback.

My fan (new 80G, no BC) is loudest when playing SD... that said, it's not (by the standards of folks here) unacceptable.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #179 of 4480 Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
frankmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MONTREAL,QUEBEC
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After intensive research of what to buy, a PS3 or a conventional BD player, Finally decided to go with a PS3 80G especially my AV Receiver in 5.1 Digital dolby with input Audio digital coaxial and optic.

Needed the 80G to play PS2 games for my son, I am not a gamer but you never know.

I found this used PS3 80g in great working condition for $350. can the Ps3 80g (old 40G).

I played Spiderman Blu-ray and to my mind the movie would had filled my 46Pz80 screen, but to my delution, horizontal black bars above and below the picture were there. The same as if I was playing a regular DVD.

Question did I miss something in the setting so the movie fills the whole screen, I know I could zoom and so on.

Tia

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

frankmar is offline  
post #180 of 4480 Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
nealh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post

After intensive research of what to buy, a PS3 or a conventional BD player, Finally decided to go with a PS3 80G especially my AV Receiver in 5.1 Digital dolby with input Audio digital coaxial and optic.

Needed the 80G to play PS2 games for my son, I am not a gamer but you never know.

I found this used PS3 80g in great working condition for $350. can the Ps3 80g (old 40G).

I played Spiderman Blu-ray and to my mind the movie would had filled my 46Pz80 screen, but to my delution, horizontal black bars above and below the picture were there. The same as if I was playing a regular DVD.

Question did I miss something in the setting so the movie fills the whole screen, I know I could zoom and so on.

Tia

was this an old "old 40gb" upgraded to 80gb if so ..it will have no BC

only the MGS4 Bundle 80gb has BC(or 60gb PS3)
nealh is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off