post #181 of 4480 Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post

I played Spiderman Blu-ray and to my mind the movie would had filled my 46Pz80 screen, but to my delution, horizontal black bars above and below the picture were there. The same as if I was playing a regular DVD.

Question did I miss something in the setting so the movie fills the whole screen, I know I could zoom and so on.

Tia

The film is 2.35:1 aspect ratio... you will always get black bars with 2.35:1 films (either BD or SD), unless you zoom (which you really don't want to do).

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4480 Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

was this an old "old 40gb" upgraded to 80gb if so ..it will have no BC

only the MGS4 Bundle 80gb has BC(or 60gb PS3)

No, its the real 80g, with Ps2 compatible, 4 usb and memory card inserts. I made sure it was the old 80g. Even played some ps2 games to be sure.

Walmart, sells the new Ps3 80(old40 G) for 399. But the seller thought the Walmart Ps3 was the same as his, so brought the price down from $400 to $350.

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #183 of 4480 Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

After intensive research of what to buy, a PS3 or a conventional BD player, Finally decided to go with a PS3 80G especially my AV Receiver in 5.1 Digital dolby with input Audio digital coaxial and optic.

Needed the 80G to play PS2 games for my son, I am not a gamer but you never know.

I found this used PS3 80g in great working condition for $350. can the Ps3 80g (old 40G).

I played Spiderman Blu-ray and to my mind the movie would had filled my 46Pz80 screen, but to my delution, horizontal black bars above and below the picture were there. The same as if I was playing a regular DVD.

Question did I miss something in the setting so the movie fills the whole screen, I know I could zoom and so on.

Tia

Appropriately enough, your question is answered by this FAQ. See page one, under the heading "I have a widescreen TV but I still see black bars on some movies."

Aimez-vous basketball?
post #184 of 4480 Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 AM

I have a question. I am using the PS3 as a Blu-ray player for a Pioneer PDP-6010 plasma set. I have found you can obtain better 1080p performance by turning the "Upscale" setting to "Off" on 1080p Blu-ray material. This gives a slight but visible increase in fine detail and improved contrast compared to the "Normal" setting.

For example, this improvement is visible in the BBC Blu-ray series "Planet Earth" in the (Disc 1) "Fresh Water" Angel Falls scene. There is more detail of rock surfaces, water droplets, and fine detail of vegetation is also improved. Also in the (Disc 1) "From Pole to Pole" episode great white shark scene, the "Upscale Off" setting shows water droplets striking the water more clearly (less blurring) and with increased three-dimensional rendering of water spray. I'm not sure why this would be true, but several comparisons confirmed this to be the case.

When playing SD material I switch the "Upscale" setting back to "Normal" with very good results. Why should this setting affect a 1080p Blu-ray disc that is not being upscaled in the first place?
post #185 of 4480 Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal4bass View Post

I have a question. I am using the PS3 as a Blu-ray player for a Pioneer PDP-6010 plasma set. I have found you can obtain better 1080p performance by turning the "Upscale" setting to "Off" on 1080p Blu-ray material. This gives a slight but visible increase in fine detail and improved contrast compared to the "Normal" setting.

For example, this improvement is visible in the BBC Blu-ray series "Planet Earth" in the (Disc 1) "Fresh Water" Angel Falls scene. There is more detail of rock surfaces, water droplets, and fine detail of vegetation is also improved. Also in the (Disc 1) "From Pole to Pole" episode great white shark scene, the "Upscale Off" setting shows water droplets striking the water more clearly (less blurring) and with increased three-dimensional rendering of water spray. I'm not sure why this would be true, but several comparisons confirmed this to be the case.

When playing SD material I switch the "Upscale" setting back to "Normal" with very good results. Why should this setting affect a 1080p Blu-ray disc that is not being upscaled in the first place?

The 'upscale' feature should do nothing for most BD material since most BDs are already recorded in 1080p format and the upscale is only there to convert lower resolution material up to 1080p. Some BDs are actually recorded in 1080i (e.g., at least some releases of Planet Earth are in 1080i) and a recent firmware update to the PS3 now allows 1080i BD material to be upscaled to 1080p. However, your HDTV will upscale 1080i sources to 1080p for display and depending on the quality of the scaling in your specific model of HDTV, it may do a better job at the 1080i -to- 1080p upscaling than the PS3. That appears to be case for your specific HDTV.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #186 of 4480 Old 09-15-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarDee View Post

Appropriately enough, your question is answered by this FAQ. See page one, under the heading "I have a widescreen TV but I still see black bars on some movies."

Booyah!

Brandon
post #187 of 4480 Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an Optoma Hd70 720p projector and I want to know if I should output Blue Ray disks at 1080p 24hz and let the projector scale to 720p or should I let the PS3 downscale and output 720p from the PS3 to the projector? Thanks!
post #188 of 4480 Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Guys, my 1st post here but first of all thanks for the wealth of information found here & thanks to Everyone who contributed to sharing their knowledge and experiences. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so here is my question: When using the PS3 (80G) to watch you tube video, when I expand it to the full view it always ask me to download the plugin and after playing maybe the 1st minute, it will prompt me for not having enough memory and stop playing.
My question is how can stop this from happening and can I download normal browser i.e Firefox or Safari to use as browser for the PS3?I just want to be able to use watch videos online without having to download a plugin EVERYTIME & not being able to take advantage of the full TV screen width.
I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else.
Thanks.
post #189 of 4480 Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

I have an Optoma Hd70 720p projector and I want to know if I should output Blue Ray disks at 1080p 24hz and let the projector scale to 720p or should I let the PS3 downscale and output 720p from the PS3 to the projector? Thanks!

Honestly... it depends on how good the scaler is in your Optoma. You can try it both ways and whichever way looks best to you is correct.

My Elite has a much better scaler than the PS3, so I feed it 1080 and let it downscale. There is a noticeable improvement in PQ this way vs. having the PS3 scale.

Try a good reference scene (stairs in MI-3, for example) and run it both ways. You should be able to see some differences. If not, then either way is OK.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #190 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 05:40 AM

Can I copy a blu-ray or DVD on the hard drive and then play it later on the ps3 if so, how. and will I get 1080p and 5.1 dolby digital when playing from the hd. tia

PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #191 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 View Post

OK so I have case #5(pasted below from sticky): i have followed the instructions and trouble-shot to death and need some expert help.

basically have older AVR Onkyo HT-R510(B) (i know the optical jack and cable both work by testing on my HD Tuner), but cannot get the ps3 to output digitally, infact, cant get any sound at all to come out (when directly outputting from optical). when I use HDMI setting it works fine and i can optical out from the TV to the receiver and even then it is fine, but is not digital.
I switched audio output for both HDMI and Optical to bitstream (and did it leaving HDMI sound alone too), and changed sound settings to optical and selected all 3 options, dolby, dts and AAV.

someone please help, it is extremely frustrating. I noticed most of these problems are back in 2007 so im hoping someone has the magic answer....

Case 5: PS3 connected to a recent vintage HDTV with HDMI and connected to an older AVR via optical digital audio cable (i.e., Toslink).

In this case you should use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 directly an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Then use an optical digital cable (i.e., Toslink) to connected the PS3 digital audio output to an available optical digital input on your AVR. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (with the PS3 set to provide bitstream output via it optical digital audio output) from the PS3 via the optical cable. The AVR will decode/process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The HD video will be sent directly to your HDTV via the HDMI connection. Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 5 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):
XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC
XMB >>> Settings >>> BD/DVD Settings >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM
XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)

I have my PS3 connect like the above. I have to say, I was getting more higher bit rate( deeper sound effects from the rear speakers) than the regular DVD.

I notice a 2 - 3 times the sound faded for a split of a second,but no distortion on the Picture. replayed and did not get that faded sound.

Anything to worry about or should I clean my Disk.

If I play a regular dvd on the PS3, will the it give me a higher bit rate than regular DVD.

Thanks

PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #192 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Can I copy a blu-ray or DVD on the hard drive and then play it later on the ps3 if so, how. and will I get 1080p and 5.1 dolby digital when playing from the hd. tia

This is of dubious legality, but you could theoretically use AnyDVD HD to get it to the drive, and then use Handbrake or similar software (AutoMKV?) to re-encode it to MPEG-4(H.264+AAC-5.1). You would then use Windows Media Player to stream it over, but you'll need some plugins (ffdshow-tryouts?).
post #193 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post

This is of dubious legality, but you could theoretically use AnyDVD HD to get it to the drive, and then use Handbrake or similar software (AutoMKV?) to re-encode it to MPEG-4(H.264+AAC-5.1). You would then use Windows Media Player to stream it over, but you'll need some plugins (ffdshow-tryouts?).

Just to clarify, you are talking about doing the above on a PC to create the H.264 (MPEG-4) file then using WMP to stream it over to the PS3 from a PC. You may also be able to simply copy the H.264 file, that was created on the PC, onto the PS3's hard drive and then play the movie off of that copy. However, it must be understood the above approach is not legal in the USA for commercial BDs and DVDs since AnyDVD violates the digital copyright protection of the BD or DVD. Since the original question came from an AVS member (FRANKMAR) in Canada, I don't know if it's legal there or not.

Ron Jones
post #194 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijanaw View Post

Guys, my 1st post here but first of all thanks for the wealth of information found here & thanks to Everyone who contributed to sharing their knowledge and experiences. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so here is my question: When using the PS3 (80G) to watch you tube video, when I expand it to the full view it always ask me to download the plugin and after playing maybe the 1st minute, it will prompt me for not having enough memory and stop playing.
My question is how can stop this from happening and can I download normal browser i.e Firefox or Safari to use as browser for the PS3?I just want to be able to use watch videos online without having to download a plugin EVERYTIME & not being able to take advantage of the full TV screen width.
I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else.
Thanks.

You cannot simply install another browser on the PS3 since the PS3 has its own operating system. The same is true for standard plug-ins that are not specifically written for the PS3. However, it is possible to first install Linux on the PS3 then install a Linux compatible browser and associated plug-ins. "Yellow Dog Linux" seems to be the most popular version for use with the PS3 and it's available for free via download. Here are some links on installing Linux on a PS3:

http://www.coderetard.com/2008/08/06/how-to-install-linux-on-your-ps3/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXcuhJkwx4

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/01/yellow-dog-linux-5-0-for-ps3-now-available-for-free-how-is-it/

Ron Jones
post #195 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey sorry if this is a stupid question but, I just hooked up my PS3 and am playing the sample disc that comes with it. I have all of my settings correct, but I am only getting Dolby Pro Logic through the optical output to my receiver. Is that normal for this disc, or is something wrong?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #196 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Ok, I started playing some of the trailers and most are in Pro Logic, but some are in Dolby Digital. I guess it is the disc. However, on the Order of the Phoenix trailer, the audio was out of sync from one channel to the other, then half way through, one channel just went out. Very weird! I will keep playing around as well as playing another disc. Hope its not a bad PS3!

post #197 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question but, I just hooked up my PS3 and am playing the sample disc that comes with it. I have all of my settings correct, but I am only getting Dolby Pro Logic through the optical output to my receiver. Is that normal for this disc, or is something wrong?

I suggest you go to the first post of this forum and check the Audio section midway find which audio reflects the way you're connected to the avr and set up the ps3 and tested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058533

I hope the dvd is 5.1 Digit. Dolby or more.

PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #198 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suggest you go to the first post of this forum and check the Audio section midway find which audio reflects the way you're connected to the avr and set up the ps3 and tested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058533

I hope the dvd is 5.1 Digit. Dolby or more.

I read the audio..but I am a reall newbie

Dynamic range control only works on Linear PCM not bitstream is this correct

Since I am using optical audio connection, I set audio to bitstream so dynamic range should not work correct
post #199 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I read the audio..but I am a reall newbie

Dynamic range control only works on Linear PCM not bitstream is this correct

Since I am using optical audio connection, I set audio to bitstream so dynamic range should not work correct

I am not a tecki myself,

I think your system is set up like mine.

Connection to tv through HDMI
Connection to AVR through optic cable. then follow this:

Case 5: PS3 connected to a recent vintage HDTV with HDMI and connected to an older AVR via optical digital audio cable (i.e., Toslink).

In this case you should use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 directly an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Then use an optical digital cable (i.e., Toslink) to connected the PS3 digital audio output to an available optical digital input on your AVR. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (with the PS3 set to provide bitstream output via it optical digital audio output) from the PS3 via the optical cable. The AVR will decode/process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The HD video will be sent directly to your HDTV via the HDMI connection. Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 5 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC

* XMB >>> Settings >>> BD/DVD Settings >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)

your should get dolby digital 5.1 in your avr.

hope this helped.

I should be sleeping more often at the Holiday Express.

PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #200 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not a tecki myself,

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC

* XMB >>> Settings >>> BD/DVD Settings >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)

hope this helped.

Thanks..I am setup this way as per FAQ...but AM I correct to assume I can use Dynamic range control since I am not using linear PCM...thus should just turn this off?
post #201 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks..I am setup this way as per FAQ...but AM I correct to assume I can use Dynamic range control since I am not using linear PCM...thus should just turn this off?

You can just set Dynamic Range to Off as it is a feature for those using LPCM output. Even for those using LPCM output, keeping the Dynamic Range set to Off is best for most users as it delivers the full dynamic range of the disc's sound track.

Ron Jones
post #202 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

This has been beaten to death (do a search). Many users who have multiple players have reported that there is no discernable difference between bitstream audio to their AVR vs. using the PS3 to decode the audio and transmit it as PCM. There are a few (small but vocal minority) members who insist that bitstream sounds better.

If you really want bitstream for whatever reason, your best bet would simply be to buy a player that supports this feature.

Keep in mind that the folks at Criterion are using a PS3 as their BD player. If PCM from the PS3 is good enough for them, it's sure as hell good enough for me with my <$100K audio set up.

Thanks, i was hoping there would be no discernable difference between the two. I think i'll go ahead and get another PS3
post #203 of 4480 Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Or as they say: bits is bits. Unless you are smart enough to use things like Monster cabling. If they cost more they must be superior. Sorry, just heard some nonsense at a big box retailer today. Helped out in that case, as I'm sure we all do at times.
post #204 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

You can just set Dynamic Range to Off as it is a feature for those using LPCM output. Even for those using LPCM output, keeping the Dynamic Range set to Off is best for most users as it delivers the full dynamic range of the disc's sound track.

Thank you

I set Dynamic range ON because it supposedly helps to hear the dialogue better(and my wife is so sensitive and misses some of the dialogue...then she is always asking what did they say)
post #205 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not a tecki myself,

hope this helped.

I do have my system set up this way. I think my problem was with the test disc itself. It appears to only have 5.1 in certain places while the majority is just 2 channel.

post #206 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you

I set Dynamic range ON because it supposedly helps to hear the dialogue better(and my wife is so sensitive and misses some of the dialogue...then she is always asking what did they say)

Certainly the dynamic range setting can be useful for some people and with some material since its really an audio compression function that in most cases will raise the average level of the dialog while reducing the level of the loudest sounds. This is certainly nothing new with the PS3 as most AVRs and some DVD players have offered this option for many years when decoding Dolby Digital audio tracks.

Ron Jones
post #207 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I would like to know how many watts the 80 gig PS3 uses for Blu-ray playback; also, how much difference does this make on an electric bill as compared to a standalone unit? I've been considering getting a PS3 as a backup player.

post #208 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I would like to know how many watts the 80 gig PS3 uses for Blu-ray playback; also, how much difference does this make on an electric bill as compared to a standalone unit? I've been considering getting a PS3 as a backup player.

The 80GB unit sold bundled with MGS4 -- the one with 4 USB sockets -- has a rated max power consumption of 380 Watts.

The 40GB unit, and the new 80GB unit that replaces it -- the one with 2 USB sockets -- has a rated max power consumption of 280 Watts.

Based on the heat output I can feel from the 40GB unit when it is playing Blu-Ray discs, I would guess it is consuming something in the range of 60 to 100 Watts in that use. The MGS4 80GB unit runs much hotter when playing Blu-Ray discs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #209 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If the PS3 were to consume 100 watts more than a standalone player that would mean for a typical 2 hour long movie the PS3 would consume an extra 200 Watt-hours of electric. Even if you pay $0.15 per 1000 Watt-hours (i.e, 1 KW-Hour) that would mean it would cost you an extra 3 cents to play a BD movie on the PS3 as compared to a standalone BD player.

Ron Jones
post #210 of 4480 Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

If the PS3 were to consume 100 watts more than a standalone player that would mean for a typical 2 hour long movie the PS3 would consume an extra 200 Watt-hours of electric. Even if you pay $0.15 per 1000 Watt-hours (i.e, 1 KW-Hour) that would mean it would cost you an extra 3 cents to play a BD movie on the PS3 as compared to a standalone BD player.

.15 is also a fairly high rate.

To put it another way, if you watched 100 BDs a year on your PS3 it would cost you about an extra $3 a year on your power bill.

And actually the newest PS3 only uses about 150 watts during BD playback vs. 50 watts for a SA BD player, so maybe $1 a year extra in electric for 100 movies.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page