post #2281 of 4480 Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

...The short answer is you are better off letting the player (PS3 in this case) decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (lossless codecs) and send them along to the AVR via mult channel PCM (LPCM) to take advantage of all the features Blu-ray offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Bitstreaming is inferior to in-player decoding, because you can't use secondary audio together with lossless when bitstreaming. The sound quality of the lossless audio is the same either way. You are getting the best possible audio from the PS3 as it stands.

We may be repetitive, but at least we're consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

But...but...but...what about the light?!?!? That's the most important part of HD audio!
post #2283 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Joseph - this is the subject of much debate. The short answer is you are better off letting the player (PS3 in this case) decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (lossless codecs) and send them along to the AVR via mult channel PCM (LPCM) to take advantage of all the features Blu-ray offers. While SOME may disagree (the "much debate" part), most will tell you sonically they are identical (bitstream vs. LPCM).

I would suggest you follow this link to a very recent discussion in this regard and this link to the FAQs.

Quote:

Bitstreaming is inferior to in-player decoding, because you can't use secondary audio together with lossless when bitstreaming. The sound quality of the lossless audio is the same either way. You are getting the best possible audio from the PS3 as it stands.

Quote:

We may be repetitive, but at least we're consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

But...but...but...what about the light?!?!? That's the most important part of HD audio!

First, phdeane's and rdclark's posts clearly and concisely explain why Sony made the decision not to allow the PS3 to bitstream HD Codecs. I thought, therefore, that it would be useful to put them together in one post.

Pugnax555 was equally correct in pointing out (in a very funny way, I thought) that the only real complaint one hears about the inability of the PS3 to bitstream HD Codecs is that the pretty little HD audio lights don't light up on the displays of AV receivers.
post #2284 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

First, phdeane's and rdclark's posts clearly and concisely explain why Sony made the decision not to allow the PS3 to bitstream HD Codecs. I thought, therefore, that it would be useful to put them together in one post.

Pugnax555 was equally correct in pointing out (in a very funny way, I thought) that the only real complaint one hears about the inability of the PS3 to bitstream HD Codecs is that the pretty little HD audio lights don't light up on the displays of AV receivers.

My only other related complaint (granted, it's also minor) is that everything shows up on my AVR display as LPCM 5.1/7.1 so I have to check the PS3 display to know what audio track has been selected.
post #2285 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

My only other related complaint (granted, it's also minor) is that everything shows up on my AVR display as LPCM 5.1/7.1 so I have to check the PS3 display to know what audio track has been selected.

But... but... but... lossless audio is supposed to provide a "night and day" difference. It's dramatically better! You must be deaf if you can't hear the difference!

So why do we need the little light to know it's on?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2286 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN

Quote:

But... but... but... lossless audio is supposed to provide a "night and day" difference. It's dramatically better! You must be deaf if you can't hear the difference!

I know you were kidding but can't resist asking why anybody would care what the AV receiver's display showed, even if they weren't sure they could trust their ears? All you have to do is press SELECT on the PS3 controller or Display on a Nyko IR remote and the information screen that comes up shows you whether you are listening to an HD Codec. Works for me.
post #2287 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is a difference (not night and day), but sometimes it takes a few minutes into the movie to know that something is "wrong." When I check the PS3 display, I realize that the disc defaulted to an audio track with a legacy codec. It doesn't happen to me much anymore as I've just gotten into the habit of immediately checking as the movie starts.

I'm not trying to get deep into an old vs. new debate, or a bitstream vs. decode discussion; I just have a personal preference of seeing the details on my AVR's display.
post #2288 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a personal preference of never having to change my player's setup options when I want to listen to a commentary. I find that far more onerous than checking the menu options on each disk before I play it, which is something I always do anyway (in case there is more than one version of the movie on the disc, or other options I would miss if I skipped the disk menu).

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2289 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Hello all,

I never, ever want a Blu-ray disc to be able to access the Internet. Is there a way to tell the PS3 of this preference so that it stops wasting my time asking the question every single time I put a disc in, please?

Thanks!
post #2290 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp45 View Post

Hello all,

I never, ever want a Blu-ray disc to be able to access the Internet. Is there a way to tell the PS3 of this preference so that it stops wasting my time asking the question every single time I put a disc in, please?

Thanks!

Other than turning it off...no I don't think so. You'd probably be better off allowing it and then just never accessing BD-Live.
post #2291 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have a personal preference of never having to change my player's setup options when I want to listen to a commentary. I find that far more onerous than checking the menu options on each disk before I play it, which is something I always do anyway (in case there is more than one version of the movie on the disc, or other options I would miss if I skipped the disk menu).

Yeah, that's what I don't get about those who decry that the PS3 won't do lossless Codecs with bitstream. After all, by doing it that way, it seems to me you would lose a lot more from not having secondary audio than you lose now as a result of not being able to have those pretty little lights on your display turn on.
post #2292 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Yeah, there is an easy to do that if you don't mind losing the other conveniences of an Internet connection. Setup your PS3 to connect to the Internet via Ethernet and simply don't connect an Ethernet cable to your network card.
post #2293 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Everyone so far gave you not the most helpful answers.

Yes there is a setting for that. It is somewhere in the PS3
Menu. I don't remember where.

Maybe it says HERE
post #2294 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Everyone so far gave you not the most helpful answers.

Yes there is a setting for that. It is somewhere in the PS3
Menu. I don't remember where.

Maybe it says HERE

The reason the answers aren't the most helpful is because what he's asking can't be done. If he disables BD Live auto-connect, it will ask him if he wants to connect every time he puts in a BD Live-enabled disc (which is exactly what he's saying he wants to avoid). The only other option (which has already been suggested) is to not have the PS3 on the network at all. Since he has it on the network, it's assumed that he does want to use the other network features of the PS3, and just not use the BD Live features. If that's the case, then he either has to live with the prompts, or do as jrcorwin suggested and turn auto-connect on and never access the BD Live menu from the discs.
post #2295 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I find that far more onerous than checking the menu options on each disk before I play it, which is something I always do anyway (in case there is more than one version of the movie on the disc, or other options I would miss if I skipped the disk menu).

I've noticed on some BDs (warner bros.?) that you can only change the audio track while the movie is playing; the home menu doesn't provide the option. I prefer doing it your way too.
post #2296 of 4480 Old 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Understood...I personally have very minimal desire to use any secondary audio streams, but since the PS3 is my primary BR player it's there if I want it. I do have 2 other BR players that can bitstream, but the PS3 has many other features that I wouldn't trade for the 1 capability. If the PS3 had bitstreaming capability of the HD codecs, I would set it that way and change on the rare occasion I wanted to do PiP or an audio commentary. However, I consider it a minimal loss and agree that the decoded audio is just as good from a quality standpoint. I just think it's unfortunate that the PS3 can't do BOTH, making this whole debate moot.
post #2297 of 4480 Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 AM

What do the infos on the PS3 on-screen display mean? Some are constant, others change when the disc is running.

What numbers are to be expected for a Blueray or DVD?

Is the shown info influenced by the components after the PS3?
post #2298 of 4480 Old 04-19-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post

What do the infos on the PS3 on-screen display mean? Some are constant, others change when the disc is running.

What numbers are to be expected for a Blueray or DVD?

Is the shown info influenced by the components after the PS3?

watching Die Hard

top line right - codec DTS-HD MA 5.1(channels) 48khz (recording bandwidth)

x.x Mbps (this is the audio bit rate and will change depending on what's going on onscreen, the more complex the sound the bigger this number)

AVC - video recoding codec

XX.XMbps - video playback bit rate, once again this will vary depending on what's going on

at the bottom, chapter, Time gone, progress, total running time

these numbers and descriptors will be different for DVD, generally much lower.
post #2299 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:

The reason the answers aren't the most helpful is because what he's asking can't be done.

Thank you for all the commentary. I had actually tried all the above items, including disconnecting the Ethernet cable, which is too inconvenient. (I like checking the Rock Band store on Thursdays and being alerted about a new firmware release.)

I just find it odd that such a flexible device (this is truly a software-defined device) would omit such a basic configuration choice, and figured that I had missed something esoteric, which apparently I did not.

Cheers!
post #2300 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Thank you for all the commentary. I had actually tried all the above items, including disconnecting the Ethernet cable, which is too inconvenient. (I like checking the Rock Band store on Thursdays and being alerted about a new firmware release.)

I just find it odd that such a flexible device (this is truly a software-defined device) would omit such a basic configuration choice, and figured that I had missed something esoteric, which apparently I did not.

Cheers!

I guess I'm just not understanding what the problem is here. Just don't access the BD-Live features.
post #2301 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you for all the commentary. I had actually tried all the above items, including disconnecting the Ethernet cable, which is too inconvenient. (I like checking the Rock Band store on Thursdays and being alerted about a new firmware release.) I just find it odd that such a flexible device (this is truly a software-defined device) would omit such a basic configuration choice, and figured that I had missed something esoteric, which apparently I did not. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

I guess I'm just not understanding what the problem is here. Just don't access the BD-Live features.

At the risk of sounding like a PS3 fanboy, I don't understand what the problem is either. Blu-ray technology is highly complex and still in its infancy. Thus, it is a rare BD that doesn't require some changes in configuration before starting to watch a BD movie. For example, I have lost track of the number of BD movies that defaulted to the lossy version of a soundtrack when I always want the lossless HD version. Thus, the additional requirement to select No to the question asking whether you want to connect to BD-Live doesn't seem at all onerous to me.
post #2302 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

For example, I have lost track of the number of BD movies that defaulted to the lossy version of a soundtrack when I always want the lossless HD version.

My little rule of thumb is to hit the Audio button on the remote once if I see the Warner logo go by.
post #2303 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My little rule of thumb is to hit the Audio button on the remote once if I see the Warner logo go by.

I agree that Warner is probably the worst culprit. Were it they were the only culprit. I have become so paranoid about the problem that, regardless of which studio put out the BD, I always hit the Display button so I can immediately learn what flavor of audio is being sent to my receiver.
post #2304 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM

I don't know that "onerous" is the right word, but I think it is completely reasonable to desire/expect a setting of "never connect" to save what is, to many people, an unnecessary step. I would also suspect that many people, such as myself, do not have home theater equipment that is capable of the lossless soundtracks, so that point about changing default audio really doesn't apply to many people.
post #2305 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Does ps3 have rca type digital output as well as toslink ?

Thanks,
Scotty
post #2306 of 4480 Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoddee View Post

Does ps3 have rca type digital output as well as toslink ?

No. But you can get an optical -> coax converter cheaply at Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Coaxial digital audi connections seem to be disappearing from some of the newer players. Not sure why. So you're wise to check, whatever player you're considering, if it's a feature you need.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2307 of 4480 Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff View Post

watching Die Hard

top line right - codec DTS-HD MA 5.1(channels) 48khz (recording bandwidth)

x.x Mbps (this is the audio bit rate and will change depending on what's going on onscreen, the more complex the sound the bigger this number)

AVC - video recoding codec

XX.XMbps - video playback bit rate, once again this will vary depending on what's going on

at the bottom, chapter, Time gone, progress, total running time

these numbers and descriptors will be different for DVD, generally much lower.

Thanks for helping me out here.
Is the "recording bandwidth" identical to the sampling rate of the recorded linear PCM signal? Can I calculate the word-length in bit from the sampling rate and audio bit rate (which seems to be constant for my software) ? In other words would a displayed 48 kHz and 192 kbps bandwidth translate into a 4-bit/48 kHz resolution?
post #2308 of 4480 Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post

Thanks for helping me out here.
Is the "recording bandwidth" identical to the sampling rate of the recorded linear PCM signal? Can I calculate the word-length in bit from the sampling rate and audio bit rate (which seems to be constant for my software) ? In other words would a displayed 48 kHz and 192 kbps bandwidth translate into a 4-bit/48 kHz resolution?

For full, uncompressed PCM audio, yes, you can calculate the bit-depth from the data rate (assuming you know the sample rate--or you can guess the sample rate since there are only a few commonly-used ones for film/video-based sources). However, this doesn't work for any of the other formats, since they employ some form of compression (whether it be lossless data compression or lossy psychoacoustic compression).
post #2309 of 4480 Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI: Even if this wasn't a game box it would still be a great deal, Blue Ray Player, media server support and web surfing. HD looks great on a 100" 1080P projector. You can't build a HTPC for the price of a PS3
I'm very impressed with it's full line up of features.
post #2310 of 4480 Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I have been searching this thread for a while now but cannot come up with this scenario. I have my ps3 hooked up to a Denon 2809 via hdmi and then from the denon to my jvc rs10 projector via hdmi out. The problem I am encountering is, after watching a movie, I take out the bluray disc to put in another. However, the projector does not get a signal for this second movie. I try turning off the ps3 but still no luck. Usually, I turn on the denon, then pj then ps3 when I start for the first movie. But after it gets warmed up even this sequence does not work (after just trying to put a 2nd movie in but no picture) I do not even get the PS3 main menu. Any ideas?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page