Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

There are NO PS3 Negatives.

The Negatives are your receiver. You sill get standard
definition Picture unless your TV has HDMI and Standard
Definition SOUND.

Why bother buying a PS3

I have a Pioneer 111FD. I could connect video via HDMI to my TV and audio via optical to my AVR, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

I have a Pioneer 111FD. I could connect video via HDMI to my TV and audio via optical to my AVR, right?

I could be wrong, but I thought that if HDMI output is set, Optical out is off. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
post #2403 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I could be wrong, but I thought that if HDMI output is set, Optical out is off. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

You're wrong.

The PS3 only allows one audio connection and one video connection at the same time, but they can be different connections.

HDMI for video (to the TV) and optical for audio (to the older AVR) is a very common connection scheme for the PS3, and will look and sound great.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2404 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, you can do that. You can't send a video signal out via two separate outputs, but you can split the audio and video between separate outputs.

For full disclosure on the "negatives" of the PS3, people should be aware that it doesn't work natively with IR universal remotes and that it is more sensitive to ambient temperature than a typical stand-alone (meaning it's fan can kick into high-gear and be disturbing for some).

As far as other universally-panned negatives, there aren't many. If you want analog audio outputs or bitstreaming of HD audio capability you need to go elsewhere. Other than that, some features and interface options can be tweaked better, but it is a fully-functioning and excellent blu-ray player which always has the potential to be improved upon.

Brandon
post #2405 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemax View Post

I have a PS3 hooked up to a 3802 via optical cable and would like to know the proper audio settings for the PS3:
TIA.

I suggest you try (this is what I'm using on my PS3 that is connected via optical to my Denon AVR-4800):

Dolby = ON
DTS = ON
AAC = OFF
PCM 44.1 = ON
PCM 88.2 = ON
PCM 176 = OFF*
PCM 48 = ON

* you should check your AVR's owners manual to see if it can support PCM at 176 KHz or not.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #2406 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Y
I seem to enjoy TrueHD more than LPCM for D+T's BD. I just feel like it's more clear. Could be placebo effect I guess.

Maybe it's the hypnotic effect of the DTS (blue) light on the AVR
post #2407 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

You can still get high def pic thru component cables.

Until the content producers decide to implement the ICT flag which I think might occur in 2011. Plus, and folks feel free to step in here if you have improved information, I am not sure you can send 1080p over component.
post #2408 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
From what I know the component video "standard" supports only 720p/1080i even though component cables can transmit 1080p. Due to the standard being written for only 720p/1080i it's the hardware/TV manufacturers that don't support 1080p over component.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #2409 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Maybe it's the hypnotic effect of the DTS (blue) light on the AVR

post #2410 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It does look nice on the Pioneer. Us PS3 guys check the audio on the PS3 overlay. These are from the menu of 300 and the movie War. Granted my receiver is showing PCM so I don't get the nice TrueHD look you do BTW the TrueHD isn't hypnotic, but the blue MCACC light sure is.
LL
LL

post #2411 of 4480 Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I suggest you try (this is what I'm using on my PS3 that is connected via optical to my Denon AVR-4800):

Dolby = ON
DTS = ON
AAC = OFF
PCM 44.1 = ON
PCM 88.2 = ON
PCM 176 = OFF*
PCM 48 = ON

* you should check your AVR's owners manual to see if it can support PCM at 176 KHz or not.

Thanks for the suggested settings. I had checked the 3802 manual and it doesn't say anything about support of 176kHz.
post #2412 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

How hard is it to store music on the PS3? Can you create playlists like iTunes? Can any other BD players store music? This is a feature that is very appealing to me the more I think about it.
post #2413 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How hard is it to store music on the PS3? Can you create playlists like iTunes? Can any other BD players store music? This is a feature that is very appealing to me the more I think about it.

It's easy. You can copy from another computer over the network, or from a USB storage device, or even rip directly from CDs. You can create playlists right on the PS3, or import them (not from iTunes, though). There's a lot of how-to information all over the internet.

Standalone players don't have this functionality.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2414 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

It's easy. You can copy from another computer over the network, or from a USB storage device, or even rip directly from CDs. You can create playlists right on the PS3, or import them (not from iTunes, though). There's a lot of how-to information all over the internet.

Standalone players don't have this functionality.

That's good to hear. From what I gather, the AQ between the PS3 isn't as good as other BD players but the differences are negligible. And since I have a non-HDMI AVR, these differences are even less I think?
post #2415 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's good to hear. From what I gather, the AQ between the PS3 isn't as good as other BD players but the differences are negligible. And since I have a non-HDMI AVR, these differences are even less I think?

There is no AQ difference between the PS3 and other BD players when playing lossless audio. Lossless audio is lossless audio. If there were any difference, it wouldn't be lossless. There are differences in features, not sound quality. Some people hear with their wallets or their emotions.

When playing lossy audio via optical, you will be using your AVR's decoders anyway.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2416 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone else having an issue with the PS3's audio/video settings being reverted back to the factory setting? It happened (for the first time ever) around 2 months ago, but in the past two weeks it's happened 3 more times. I am positive that I'm not experiencing a power loss, as my TV clock would reset if power went out for even .5 seconds. Thanks.
post #2417 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post

Is anyone else having an issue with the PS3's audio/video settings being reverted back to the factory setting? It happened (for the first time ever) around 2 months ago, but in the past two weeks it's happened 3 more times. I am positive that I'm not experiencing a power loss, as my TV clock would reset if power went out for even .5 seconds. Thanks.

I have not experienced this. Have you done any hard resets lately (holding down the touch-sensitive power button on the console on startup)?

Brandon
post #2418 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As rdclark stated there aren't really differences in the way lossless sounds from one BD player to another. There are differences downstream of the BD player that can significantly change the sound due to tonal differences in speakers, amplifiers & receiver's. Also on top of a receiver's tonal differences, a receiver can add post processing that can change the sound by overlaying THX (cinema, music, game), PLIIx( music, movie) , DTS NEO Matrixing etc... on top of the original PCM signal coming from the BD player. The PCM from the player should sound the same, but there are several factors that can alter the sound once it leaves the player and comes out our speakers.

post #2419 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Hay guys quick question, I am getting a Panny hdc-sd9 camcorder this week and would like to know if my ps3 will playback the video from this camera..I have the 80gig ps3 with a sd card slot..The camera records in AVCHD format

Can I just take the card from the carmera and play it on the ps3 directly, or will I have to convert the files or burn them to a disk first?

thanks..
post #2420 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Tech View Post

Hay guys quick question, I am getting a Panny hdc-sd9 camcorder this week and would like to know if my ps3 will playback the video from this camera..I have the 80gig ps3 with a sd card slot..The camera records in AVCHD format

Can I just take the card from the carmera and play it on the ps3 directly, or will I have to convert the files or burn them to a disk first?

thanks..

Are the raw files from the Panny .m2t/.m2ts? I have played several .m2t/.m2ts files on my PS3 that came from Canon and Sony AVCHD camcorders, so I know the PS3 can playback the files. Maybe they'll play differently coming straight from a memory card, but they should play back.

I vaguely recall a poster not liking how they played back from his memory card last year because they show up as hundreds of files on the memory card. But a recent PS3 firmware update allowed for sequential playback of files which addressed this.

So basically I think you would be able to play these back directly from the memory card, but I don't know it for a fact. You may want to post the same question in the Panny camcorder thread and see what they have to say.

Brandon
post #2421 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the response, the files from the camcorder should be .mt2 type..I really just want to be able to remove the card from the camcorder and pop it in the ps3 to do a quick review of what I recorded that day and decide what, and how I want to edit later...
post #2422 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a quick search for "ps3" in the Panny owners thread and came up with these two quotes:

1)
Quote:
Place the SD card straight out of camera or hook up the camera to PS3 USB reader and it recognizes it as an AVCHD video and plays without any fuss.

2)
Quote:
It makes a good match with my PS3. I can watch AVCHD videos on the PS3 via SD card or DVDr.

So there ya go

Brandon
post #2423 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post

Are you holding your finger on the start button too long? That does a reset as bplewis24 said. You only need to touch it briefly to turn the PS3 on.
post #2424 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

There is no AQ difference between the PS3 and other BD players when playing lossless audio. Lossless audio is lossless audio. If there were any difference, it wouldn't be lossless. There are differences in features, not sound quality. Some people hear with their wallets or their emotions.

When playing lossy audio via optical, you will be using your AVR's decoders anyway.

Until I get a new AVR, the audio will travel via optical. There's just one thing that makes me hesitate with the PS3 and it's that I keep hearing that the PS3 pre-decodes the audio before sending it to the AVR. I don't really know how this affects the audio but it seems to come with a negative connotation. Are there any negatives to it? Or is this something I won't really notice?
post #2425 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a response in the same vein as this conversation, in the 51FD thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

CD/LPCM is not packeted like Dolby/DTS, thus LPCM is very susceptible to errors on the way from the player over to the receiver. For an example of a massive HDMI PCM error, take a look at the Panasonic BD30/Denon 2500 on early firmware; they ran the LFE level -5db too low even via digital HDMI PCM - packeted codecs like DD/DTS however had correct LFE level. Thus Blu-ray lossless soundtracks had wildly varying bass levels depending on whether it was multichannel LPCM (-5db) or TrueHD/DTS-MA (correct) - all over digital HDMI, no less.

So, if sound quality can be affected with an error so massive that a channel is playing back at 5 decibals lower than it should be, then it is easily argued that other more minor errors/issues can also impact sound quality. "Digital is digital" does not fully apply to PCM due to its lack of packeting. Dolby/DTS either works or doesn't work (dropout/white noise), while PCM can have major sound quality issues that may not be obvious at first.

post #2426 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM

b_scott ... so what are you saying? i am getting so confused
post #2427 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

nothing that affects you, i was just replying to rdclark about the HD codecs / PCM being identical.
post #2428 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 PM

OK ... All I'm looking to hear is that the PS3 produces PQ and AQ on par (if not better) than the other players out there. And the more I read, the more confused I get. I really do appreciate everyone's help, though!
post #2429 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nothing that affects you, i was just replying to rdclark about the HD codecs / PCM being identical.

Thank you for identifying for me a broken decoder.

The PS3's decoders are not broken, and neither are the players you mentioned after their firmware fixes.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2430 of 4480 Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Until I get a new AVR, the audio will travel via optical. There's just one thing that makes me hesitate with the PS3 and it's that I keep hearing that the PS3 pre-decodes the audio before sending it to the AVR. I don't really know how this affects the audio but it seems to come with a negative connotation. Are there any negatives to it? Or is this something I won't really notice?

When you use the legacy codecs, as you will with optical, you will be bitstreaming, and your receiver will do the decoding.

When you upgrade to HDMI for audio, and start using the HD lossless codecs, you will also start using the PS3's decoders, which produce lossless LPCM to send via HDMI to the receiver.

There are no negatives to the PS3's handling of audio unless it doesn't work with your equipment. This is not a problem you will have.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page