post #2791 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

As LG and others are providing mkv support on their newest players, I was wondering if Sony could not do the same for the PS3 via a firmware update. So I called Sony customer support to inquire about that possibility and got the following answer: ''we do not know and, even if we did, we could not tell to avoid rumors''. Any comments?

Mike50

That's pretty much what I would expect from a customer service rep. Sony is typically very hush-hush about their firmware updates anyway. Any information that leaks out usually only happens a few hours or days before it is released.

When it comes to firmware update features, yes Sony can do it. But I wouldn't hold my breath for anything specific unless a Sony rep has spoken to it in the past. In this case, I haven't heard anything regarding mkv support.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Have you you compared the processing in your 6020 to the ps3?
I have just started playing around comparing my ps3 to my 5010. So far with very limited comparison I think the 5010 is as good as the ps3. I'm at least hoping so to limit the wear and tear on the ps3.

I'll try Deadwood when I get a chance. I want to check out Gladiator as well.

I had thought about comparing upconversion capabilities of the 6020 to those of the PS3 and the RX-V3900 while I was preparing the preceding post but was too lazy to do anything about it. Frankly, both the PS3 and the 3900 do such a fine job of upconversion, I have been perfectly pleased with either one.

I can't imagine that using your PS3 video processor's upconversion capability would reduce its useful live very much, if any.

There are many well transferred DVDs, which should work well for making PQ comparisons but Deadwood is one of the best, it seems to me.
post #2793 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
The PS3s DVD playback is just average in my opinion. For DVD, I much prefer my older dedicated player (I rarely watch DVDs anymore anyway).

However, as a Blu-ray player the PS3 is without equal in my opinion.
  • It's fast
  • It's compatible with all (Region A) discs
  • Firmware updates are very quick and easy to install
  • It can decode all lossless audio formats and mix with secondary audio
  • No extraneous video processing that alters 1080p/24 output

I made the mistake of jumping into Blu-ray with a standalone player which was very slow to load discs and some wouldn't even play correctly. Jumping ship to the PS3 was a HUGE improvement. All discs loaded quickly, all the features worked, skipping backwards and forwards during the movie was nearly intantaneous, and the PQ was more natural looking.

I was originally skeptical that a gaming console would be the best choice for a Blu-ray player but boy was I wrong. It's fast, fully compatible, and has the very best PQ. In the world of DVD, more expensive players could often net you improved PQ, but that just isn't the case with Blu-ray. In fact, expensive players often add processing that alters the PQ. The PS3 spits out HD video exactly as it is on the disc (no tampering!).

I absolutely love my PS3 and would never consider another player. As a bonus, the machine can do lots of other stuff too.
post #2794 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info.
post #2795 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I had thought about comparing upconversion capabilities of the 6020 to those of the PS3 and the RX-V3900 while I was preparing the preceding post but was too lazy to do anything about it. Frankly, both the PS3 and the 3900 do such a fine job of upconversion, I have been perfectly pleased with either one.

I can't imagine that using your PS3 video processor's upconversion capability would reduce its useful live very much, if any.

There are many well transferred DVDs, which should work well for making PQ comparisons but Deadwood is one of the best, it seems to me.

I wish I could just use my PS3 and forget about it but I just had to replace my optical drive after 18 months of extremely light use. Maybe 100hrs of gaming and a couple of dozen blurays. I even went out of my way to "save it" by using my crappy rca dvd player for dvd's unitil I go my 5010 a few months ago. So that is why I want to save some wear and tear on the old girl.

I agree though, I think the other components will hold up fine. I just wish they would have put better lasers in these things. Otherwise, I absolutely love the ps3. I have an original 80 gig

Kagolu
post #2796 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Has their ever been a blu-ray you tried that has not played? Soo many other brands of people complaining certain blurays not playing. Is sony the best at this? Although i have not many blu-rays, sony 350 has played everything.
post #2797 of 4488 Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM

ive learn a lot form reading other's post! thanks!

Click here for walking cane info.
[url:Click here for walking cane info.|www.canes-sale.com]
post #2798 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Has their ever been a blu-ray you tried that has not played? Soo many other brands of people complaining certain blurays not playing. Is sony the best at this? Although i have not many blu-rays, sony 350 has played everything.

I have not found a Blu-Ray that would not play on my PS3.
post #2799 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Except my Jethro Tull:Live at Montreux 2003 Blu-Ray, Hey Sony,you listening???
post #2800 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrdee View Post

Except my Jethro Tull:Live at Montreux 2003 Blu-Ray, Hey Sony,you listening???

I didn't say there were NONE - in my case I have not found any.

I have only played two Blu-Ray Concerts.

Everything else has been a movie.

Are you using FW 2.80?
post #2801 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I didn't say there were NONE - in my case I have not found any.

I have only played two Blu-Ray Concerts.

Everything else has been a movie.

Quote:

Are you using FW 2.80?

No. 2.76
post #2802 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrdee View Post

No. 2.76

All I can say is with each FW release - Sony says it improves
Play Back with some stuff - a very vague issue indeed.

No Guarantees that 2.80 would fix your concert playback issue
but you never know until you try.
post #2803 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't ever had a BD fail to play on my PS3 because of an incompatibility issue, either. The few that would not play failed to do so because of obvious physical defects in the discs, such as scratches and chips. One or two would not play at first but played normally after I had thoroughly cleaned them.
post #2804 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't ever had a BD fail to play on my PS3 because of an incompatibility issue, either. The few that would not play failed to do so because of obvious physical defects in the discs, such as scratches and chips. One or two would not play at first but played normally after I had thoroughly cleaned them.

Same here - I had to clean 2-3 Movies at the most that I RENTED.
post #2805 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I've been having problems lately with BD's playing on my PS3. I just bought it a few months ago, and always update the firmware too. Most recently, disc would not even show up in the toolbar thing on the PS3's home screen. I would have to turn the system off and back on and they would then be there, but the last two Harry Potter (Chamber of Secrets) I've gotten from Netflix will not show up for anything. I think maybe because they are older BD's...? IDK what in the world is wrong, but I've changed all the other HP movies to standard DVD. Hopefully that solves the problem.
post #2806 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a chance to play around with comparing my 5010 to the ps3 as far as up conversion is concerned. I used disk season disk 4 of Deadwood( first one I grabbed) and some home videos, I wanted some lower quality stuff as well.
I used a cheap RCA dvd player connected via composite, the ps3 via hdmi with up conversion settings at normal with noise settings
set to off as well and everything els at the recomended settings.

I definitely thought the ps3 was better with Deadwood, not by a landslide though. The 5010 is good enough for casual usage especially with the lower quality stuff as I saw a much less difference between the two with the home video stuff. If for a movie night though I will use the ps3.

I was not able to turn compare when I turn off the up conversion on the ps3 and output 480p though because my h/k 247 always processes on 720p and below (the h/k is the worst of the 3) but I suspect there would be little if any difference.
Not scientific but about as good as I can do.

Kagolu
post #2807 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a chance to play around with comparing my 5010 to the ps3 as far as up conversion is concerned. I used disk season disk 4 of Deadwood( first one I grabbed) and some home videos, I wanted some lower quality stuff as well.
I used a cheap RCA dvd player connected via composite, the ps3 via hdmi with up conversion settings at normal with noise settings

I definitely thought the ps3 was better with Deadwood, not by a landslide though. The 5010 is good enough for casual usage especially with the lower quality stuff as I saw a much less difference between the two with the home video stuff. If for a movie night though I will use the ps3.

I was not able to turn compare when I turn off the up conversion on the ps3 and output 480p though because my h/k 247 always processes on 720p and below (the h/k is the worst of the 3) but I suspect there would be little if any difference.

Kagolu
post #2808 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

you should've used a dvd player that outputs in 480i over HDMI to get a fair assessment. s-video in 480i is not the same as hdmi in 480i.
post #2809 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

you should've used a dvd player that outputs in 480i over HDMI to get a fair assessment. s-video in 480i is not the same as hdmi in 480i.

I did not use s video, I used composite. I can try an HDMI comparison tonight as the RCA is upconverting player not sure if it outputs 480i though.

Kagolu
post #2810 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As noted in an earlier post, I used a Deadwood DVD to compare the PS3's upconversion capability to that of a Yamaha RX-V3900's Anchor Bar video processor and initially concluded that the 3900 did a marginally better job. This afternoon, however, I tested more extensively, this time using subtitles. This time, although the PQ produced by the PS3 was slightly different from that of the 3900, I was unable to say that one was better than the other. That's a good problem, though, because the Deadwood DVDs upconverted to 1080p with either processor, while certainly short of HD quality, nonetheless looked absolutely beautiful.
post #2811 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As noted in an earlier post, I used a Deadwood DVD to compare the PS3's upconversion capability to that of a Yamaha RX-V3900's Anchor Bar video processor and initially concluded that the 3900 did a marginally better job. This afternoon, however, I tested more extensively, this time using subtitles. This time, although the PQ produced by the PS3 was slightly different from that of the 3900, I was unable to say that one was better than the other. That's a good problem, though, because the Deadwood DVDs upconverted to 1080p with either processor, while certainly short of HD quality, nonetheless looked absolutely beautiful.

That is a good problem. Like I said I'm rooting for the 5010 so I can save the ps3 exclusively for BDs.

Kagolu
post #2812 of 4488 Old 07-02-2009, 09:27 PM

My ps3 does not have any audio whenever i play any NEED FOR SPEED game on it. I've also noticed that there is occasional hiccups in the audio whenever i am playing a game. Anybody with the same problem...i think someone earlier on this thread had similar issues with the hiccups.
post #2813 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 AM

I got the new X Files movie last month and now Sex Drive this last week on BRD from Netflix. Both discs looked brand new. Neither would play on my PS3. The disc for X Files would never appear in the XMB while Sex Drive would sometimes get to the menu for the movie then quit back to the PS3 menu. Are these known problem titles? Do we have a master problem title listing here somewhere?
post #2814 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meattrain View Post

I got the new X Files movie last month and now Sex Drive this last week on BRD from Netflix. Both discs looked brand new. Neither would play on my PS3. The disc for X Files would never appear in the XMB while Sex Drive would sometimes get to the menu for the movie then quit back to the PS3 menu. Are these known problem titles? Do we have a master problem title listing here somewhere?

I believe the Studios allow Netflix to make their own BD copies
and these create a lot of problems in MANY different brands of players.
post #2815 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I watched Sex Drive (from BB online) on my PS3 with no problems.
post #2816 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

I've been having horrible problems with BD not appearing in the XMB lately, and my PS3 is like three months old. It's quite frustrating. I think the days of simply putting a movie in a player to watch, are LONG gone.
post #2817 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

I've been having horrible problems with BD not appearing in the XMB lately, and my PS3 is like three months old. It's quite frustrating. I think the days of simply putting a movie in a player to watch, are LONG gone.

I own (3) PS3s and have never had a problem with any of them.
post #2818 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Quote:

I own (3) PS3s and have never had a problem with any of them.

I am with drhanz I have played countless Blu-Rays from Netflix without a single problem. X-Files included. (have not tried Sex Drive) I dont bother cleaning the disks, I dont do anything but pop them in and they work every single time.

You may be seeing symptoms of optical drive going out or other issues and maybe a call to sony support would be in order... I feel your frustration and wish you both the best in getting these issues resolved.
post #2819 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I use my PS-3 99% as a movie player, (Blu-ray and SD) and have well over a thousand hours playing time.I have played about 200 Blu-ray movies from my own library and netflix without finding ANY that would not play. I update as soon as updates are available and am very pleased with this product! John
post #2820 of 4488 Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm in the same category as Olinda. It has played everything else fine so far. Guess I just got iffy discs.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony Blu Ray Disk Remote For Sony Playstation 3
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page