Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 214 Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The only negative I have seen for myself since the ver. 2.0 update is the elimination of the ability to pass BTB via HDMI in component mode.

By the way I have updated the first post in this thread to include a brief summary of the observations on the ver. 2.0 firmware that have been posted so far.

Ron Jones

My system froze several times. I returned the PS3 yesterday and got another one. (didn't realize it might have something to do with the update)

BLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 214 Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The only negative I have seen for myself since the ver. 2.0 update is the elimination of the ability to pass BTB via HDMI in component mode.

By the way I have updated the first post in this thread to include a brief summary of the observations on the ver. 2.0 firmware that have been posted so far.

Ron Jones

even though none of us can get BTB any more, that doesn't necessarily mean this is suffering from "black crush", correct?
post #93 of 214 Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

even though none of us can get BTB any more, that doesn't necessarily mean this is suffering from "black crush", correct?

Correct, it is unrelated to black crush. Many DVD players (including some, perhaps many Sony models) do not pass BTB. This in no way impacts the video performance of the video output by the players. However, some test discs such as Digital Video Essentials and the THX test patterns on some Blu-ray Discs include a test pattern that includes a BTB bar that can be useful when calibrating a display. Specifically, the user can adjust the TV's brightness (i.e., black level) just to the point where the BTB bar disappears into the black background. Again this is just a convient feature to have for adjusting you HDTV display but is not a requirement of the DVD or BD spec. and in no way prevents the PS3, or any other DVD or BD player, from outputting a correct video image.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #94 of 214 Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Liked: 13
Since I updated my PS3 to FW ver:2.0 I can no longer copy or stream video files larger than 2GB in size from my computer. When I try to playback or copy an hour long show I recorded on my computer (MPEG 2 about 4.5 GB file) It will only copy or stream half of it. This was never an issue before I updated to 2.0 and I am in the process of communicating with a Sony tech rep about it. Anyone else having this kind of issue? I have a 60 gig PS3.

Thanks........Carlo.
post #95 of 214 Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM

Yes I'm having the same issue with the streaming. It seems to cut off everything at about 37 minutes give or take. I honestly didn't try it before firmware 2.0 but from what I've been reading in the TVersity forums it's a known issue. Good to hear that you're communicating with Sony about it, I'm sure/hope they'll address it with the next update.
post #96 of 214 Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesnype View Post

Yes I'm having the same issue with the streaming. It seems to cut off everything at about 37 minutes give or take. I honestly didn't try it before firmware 2.0 but from what I've been reading in the TVersity forums it's a known issue. Good to hear that you're communicating with Sony about it, I'm sure/hope they'll address it with the next update.

There has already been an update to TVersity that solves the issue with streaming files to PS3's with firmware 2.0. Evidently the 2.0 Firmware causes the PS3 to stop the stream once it has downloaded whatever size file the video says it is, unfortunately this is only accurate if the file is played backed in it's native format. Since the PS3 can only read a limited number of formats (at this time) TVeristy must transcode them to a format that is compatible with it. The transcoded file size is DRAMATICALLY larger than the original file, and as such the PS3 doesn't know to to continue the stream beyond it's reported size. This "feature" is new to firmware 2.0 and causes TVersity and I imagine any other program similar to it to be broken.

HOWEVER, TVersity has already released a patch that solved this issue for me, check it out.

Half
post #97 of 214 Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfrican View Post

There has already been an update to TVersity that solves the issue with streaming files to PS3's with firmware 2.0. Evidently the 2.0 Firmware causes the PS3 to stop the stream once it has downloaded whatever size file the video says it is, unfortunately this is only accurate if the file is played backed in it's native format. Since the PS3 can only read a limited number of formats (at this time) TVeristy must transcode them to a format that is compatible with it. The transcoded file size is DRAMATICALLY larger than the original file, and as such the PS3 doesn't know to to continue the stream beyond it's reported size. This "feature" is new to firmware 2.0 and causes TVersity and I imagine any other program similar to it to be broken.

HOWEVER, TVersity has already released a patch that solved this issue for me, check it out.

Half

It did not resolve the issue and I think Sony has to fix it. And the idea here is to NOT transcode.
post #98 of 214 Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

I still get BTB with HDMI YCbCr and super white on with firmware 2.0...my display is a pj...Optoma HD70

Take care,
Brian
post #99 of 214 Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

I still get BTB with HDMI YCbCr and super white on with firmware 2.0...my display is a pj...Optoma HD70

Which PS3 model are use using? This shouldn't be dependent on which model of PS3 one has, but who knows. My new 40GB model with firmware 2.0 does not pass BTB. My older 60GB with ver. 1.9x does but I haven't updated the firmware on that one yet.

Ron Jones
post #100 of 214 Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 AM

Rumor central reports....

From The Digital Bits
We're hearing that the BD Profile 1.1 firmware update for the PS3 will be released in late December, just in time for the first Blu-ray software titles set to employ it, and the full 2.0 update may not be far behind.

From Gamespot
The PS3 is reportedly set to add playback compatibility with the popular DivX codec in a forthcoming firmware update as well.
post #101 of 214 Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which PS3 model are use using? This shouldn't be dependent on which model of PS3 one has, but who knows. My new 40GB model with firmware 2.0 does not pass BTB. My older 60GB with ver. 1.9x does but I haven't updated the firmware on that one yet.

I have the 20GB model.

Take care,
Brian
post #102 of 214 Old 11-16-2007, 05:25 PM

After updating to 2.0 I setup the wifi in the ps3 and and ever since it has become slow the menus are moving some what slow and when I watched sd dvd it took a while to load it up and games were not loading that fast should I restore the ps3??
post #103 of 214 Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptr View Post

After updating to 2.0 I setup the wifi in the ps3 and and ever since it has become slow the menus are moving some what slow and when I watched sd dvd it took a while to load it up and games were not loading that fast should I restore the ps3??

Try turning off the information board.

Member of AVS FORUM folding@home team, (team #55280)
post #104 of 214 Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This should solve some of the problems.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/...1-coming-soon/
I hope it also adds DivX support.
post #105 of 214 Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

The PS3 in its current form is not able to ouput bitstream of the HD audio formats. No firmware can change this. However it has been comfirmed that the PS3 will do MA as PCM just as it does TrueHD. When is the question. My guess is after they get it upgraded to at least Full Profile.

That's what people said of the Toshiba XA2. People were saying it was IMPOSSIBLE b/c of the way hdvd was encoded. Now with the recent firmware, the XA2 can pass MA. I'm not saying that the PS3 and XA2 are similar but we'll have to wait and see.
post #106 of 214 Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabt View Post

That's what people said of the Toshiba XA2. People were saying it was IMPOSSIBLE b/c of the way hdvd was encoded. Now with the recent firmware, the XA2 can pass MA. I'm not saying that the PS3 and XA2 are similar but we'll have to wait and see.

Apples and Oranges. Software and Hardware. The PS3's early run "1.3" chip is not capable of it. Now that is not to say that a newer version of the PS3 won't have a newer chip that can do it. Heck some of the newer ones out now may have it and we just dont know it. But the earlier ones certainly don't according to the company that made them. I can't find the link that shows the chip # but someone in here knows I am sure.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #107 of 214 Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Apples and Oranges. Software and Hardware. The PS3's early run "1.3" chip is not capable of it. Now that is not to say that a newer version of the PS3 won't have a newer chip that can do it. Heck some of the newer ones out now may have it and we just dont know it. But the earlier ones certainly don't according to the company that made them. I can't find the link that shows the chip # but someone in here knows I am sure.

How many times do we have to go through this? That is all pure speculation at this point. The company that makes the HDMI chipset in the PS3 has NOT confirmed this at all, so saying "But the earlier ones certainly don't according to the company that made them" is false. People are basing this specualtion on a fact sheet that does not list bitstreaming of HBR audio as a capability. That by no means proves that it for a fact cannot do it. Lets not talk of speculation as fact please.
post #108 of 214 Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

How many times do we have to go through this? That is all pure speculation at this point. The company that makes the HDMI chipset in the PS3 has NOT confirmed this at all, so saying "But the earlier ones certainly don't according to the company that made them" is false. People are basing this specualtion on a fact sheet that does not list bitstreaming of HBR audio as a capability. That by no means proves that it for a fact cannot do it. Lets not talk of speculation as fact please.

Here are the specifics:

The HDMI ver. 1.3 transmitter chip in the PS3 is manufactured by Silicon Image and is their part number: SiL9132. This is not part of their commercial HDMI chip offerings and they do not currently publish on their web site a spec. sheet for this chip. This chip was sold by Silcon Image specifically to Sony for the PS3 and this was their first product to have a HDMI Ver. 1.3 interface. A short time later Silcon Image introduced their mainstream SiL9134 chip which is now being widely used in consumer electonics devices including standalone BD and HD-DVD players. The details for the SIL9134 is available from their web site HERE.

As described in this article, the SiL9134 was announced by Silicon Image as their first commercial HDMI ver. 1.3 transmitter chip offered (as the SiL9132 was producted specifically for Sony). This announcement was published on Oct 1, 2006 which was about 7 weeks before the PS3 went on sale, so the SiL9134 may be, or not be, really different from the SiL9132 used in the PS3 (the SiL9132 may just be the Sony OEM version of the SiL9134 -or- the SiL9134 might include some enhancments).

There has been speculation, but no specific information released by either Silicon Image nor Sony of the bitstreaming capabilities, or limitations, of the SiL9132. What limited official info that has been released on the SiL9132 did not specifically mention support for bitstream output of the advanced lossless audio formats while the full spec. sheet for the SiL9134 does mention this capability. Several people posting on various forums (including AVS) have incorrectly posted speculation as if it were fact, that the SiL9132 does not support this feature that is supported by the SiL9134. Many such postings have cited as proof other earlier postings or blogs that in fact provided no proof for such claims. I have not found any posting that links back to any authorative source either at Silicon Image or at Sony and these are the only two sources that truly know what their products can or cannot do. If anyone has such proof let's see it.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Ron Jones
post #109 of 214 Old 11-17-2007, 05:19 PM

I've had a PS3 for nearly a year one and never experience system freezes. However after updating to 2.0, I've had three system freezes over the last week.
post #110 of 214 Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are the specifics:

The HDMI ver. 1.3 transmitter chip in the PS3 is manufactured by Silicon Image and is their part number: SiL9132. This is not part of their commercial HDMI chip offerings and they do not currently publish on their web site a spec. sheet for this chip. This chip was sold by Silcon Image specifically to Sony for the PS3 and this was their first product to have a HDMI Ver. 1.3 interface. A short time later Silcon Image introduced their mainstream SiL9134 chip which is now being widely used in consumer electonics devices including standalone BD and HD-DVD players. The details for the SIL9134 is available from their web site HERE.

As described in this article, the SiL9134 was announced by Silicon Image as their first commercial HDMI ver. 1.3 transmitter chip offered (as the SiL9132 was producted specifically for Sony). This announcement was published on Oct 1, 2006 which was about 7 weeks before the PS3 went on sale, so the SiL9134 may be, or not be, really different from the SiL9132 used in the PS3 (the SiL9132 may just be the Sony OEM version of the SiL9134 -or- the SiL9134 might include some enhancments).

There has been speculation, but no specific information released by either Silicon Image nor Sony of the bitstreaming capabilities, or limitations, of the SiL9132. What limited official info that has been released on the SiL9132 did not specifically mention support for bitstream output of the advanced lossless audio formats while the full spec. sheet for the SiL9134 does mention this capability. Several people posting on various forums (including AVS) have incorrectly posted speculation as if it were fact, that the SiL9132 does not support this feature that is supported by the SiL9134. Many such postings have cited as proof other earlier postings or blogs that in fact provided no proof for such claims. I have not found any posting that links back to any authorative source either at Silicon Image or at Sony and these are the only two sources that truly know what their products can or cannot do. If anyone has such proof let's see it.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Thank you for all of the specifics. Now the question that would follow is...... if it were possible for the chip to stream wouldnt they be promoting this capability ? Wouldnt Sony be bragging that their champ PS3 can stream and most of those other players cant ? I LOVE my PS3 and think its the best HD player made today, but I am also ok with accepting its limitations. If it could stream they would comfirm it one way or the other wouldnt they. Since it almost certainly can not they just remain mum and let us all hold out hope for a few years. It's just silly.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #111 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch69 View Post

My display still says 720p while playing 720p games, is there something I have to select to get the PS3 to scale 720p games to 1080p??? I was not aware this was possable with this new update.

The PS3 does not scale PS3 games. It only scales older PS2 games.
post #112 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Really? Bummer, I have a CRT projector finely tuned for 1080i and would like to scale 720p games to 1080i in the PS3.

If it won't do it, then there goes a big reason for me to update to 2.0 right away.

Can anyone confirm or deny (thorugh actual testing) that the 2.0 firmware upscales PS3 games from 720p to 1080i.
post #113 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Here are the specifics:

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Thank you for all of the specifics. Now the question that would follow is...... if it were possible for the chip to stream wouldnt they be promoting this capability ? Wouldnt Sony be bragging that their champ PS3 can stream and most of those other players cant ? I LOVE my PS3 and think its the best HD player made today, but I am also ok with accepting its limitations. If it could stream they would comfirm it one way or the other wouldnt they. Since it almost certainly can not they just remain mum and let us all hold out hope for a few years. It's just silly.

What's silly is that people like you love to pass along things that are not factual such as:
Quote:

But the earlier ones certainly don't according to the company that made them. I can't find the link that shows the chip # but someone in here knows I am sure.

I'm probably wrong about the HBR capability with the PS3 but there were A LOT of mistaken people who thought HBR was not feasible with the XA2 or any other HDVD player. Like I mentioned before, let's WAIT AND SEE.

BTW, great post Ron Jones.
post #114 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Really? Bummer, I have a CRT projector finely tuned for 1080i and would like to scale 720p games to 1080i in the PS3.

If it won't do it, then there goes a big reason for me to update to 2.0 right away.

Can anyone confirm or deny (thorugh actual testing) that the 2.0 firmware upscales PS3 games from 720p to 1080i.

You quoted my post and asked the same question. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games. The PS3 does not scale PS3 Games.
post #115 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

This is one of the stupidest things about the PS3. It has no fixed scaler resolution. And I find it annoying when watching Sony Blu-rays, where the FBI warning is in 1080i, then it switches to 1080p, back to 1080i for another screen, and then to 1080p24 for the film. My projector has to handshake 4 times per movie.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #116 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:

They don't have to brag about anything nor would they. Sony has confirmed nothing as far as the PS3's 1.1 capability, but almost everyone is sure that it will be updated to 1.1 by the end of the year. Just because Sony hasn't yelled out at the top of their lungs does not mean it is a limitation. If you are content accepting things based on SPECULATION, hey, whos to stop you. But please don't spread that around here likes its even close to being fact.
post #117 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabrozzi View Post

With the 2.0 update all my HDV content being served by WMP11 no longer plays well. Either I get the "the data type is not supported" message or the content is thought to be only seconds or minutes long. Previous to the update HDV content playback had been working extremely well. I don't believe anything has changed on PC/server side.

The recent posts focused on having problems with streaming based on the source content size or thought to be known size seemed to ring true. Certainly after the 2.0 firmware update some HDV content (~hour long) the PS3 thought was 10 minutes long and only played for 10min. Other content the PS3 thought was 2 seconds long or shorter. The clips that seemed to be 0 seconds long were the ones coming up as "the data type is not supported".

Then I also noticed that many (not all) pictures (jpegs in my case) were also having problems. PS3 "Info" on the pictures had the size completely wrong too (something like 64KB versus ~4MB in size).

On a whim I decided to remove all content from my WMP11 library and then re-add it. And presto... everything is working now. Pictures are fine as is the same HDV content that was failing after the 2.0 firmware update.

As a review, I don't believe I touched the PC server side around the time the 2.0 firmware was updated. After the update I immediately started having lots of streaming video problems as well as problems viewing jpeg images. Yet removing and the re-adding content back on the server side seem to do something to correct whatever issues were happening.
post #118 of 214 Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think we may get the 2.01 update by tonight to tomorrow night. So keep your eyes open.
post #119 of 214 Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post

I like the new SACD MC through the optical connection.

Me too. That is the best part of this update.
post #120 of 214 Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post

I like the new SACD MC through the optical connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post

Me too. That is the best part of this update.

Eh? Are you saying the PS3 will pass SACD as multichannel PCM over an SPDIF connection? That's the first I heard that SPDIF was capable of such a thing. Maybe I've misunderstood what you mean?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page