PS3 Version 2.0X Firmware - Master Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
PS3 version 2.01 firmware is now available (as of 19 November 2007) for download as an update to ver. 2.0 that was released about 10 days earlier. Version 2.0 didn't include any significant enhancements for Blu-ray functions. As previously reported, before the update was released, this update is focused on gaming updates. It looks like we will have to wait for the next firmware update (version 2.0x or perhaps 2.1) to get the expected BD major updates (to Profile 1.1 and perhaps support for DTS HD-MA). It appears that ver. 2.01 is just a clean-up of ver. 2.0 with a few bug fixes. I would expect to the next firmware release in December.

November 30, 2007 UPDATE:

The official list of changes with version 2.0 (and version 2.01) is listed HERE.

Now that forum members (myself included) have had a few days to use the new firmware and have reported the following observations (see postings below) about what has changed, or not changed, with going from firmware version 1.9x to 2.0 as related only to Blu-ray Disc, DVD, user interface and general media playback functions (changes related to just Gaming are not listed below):

NOTE: Firmware ver. 2.0 is not a major update for Blu-ray Disc playback. It does not include support for DTS HD-MA nor does it provide an update to BD Profile 1.1. Those enhancements are expected in future firmware update(s).

1. Be sure to do a reset of your PS3 after the new firmware has been installed (you can do a hard reset turning the PS3 off then unplugging the AC Power cord for a few seconds then pluging it back in).

2. With ver. 1.9x software Blacker-than-Black (BTB) video levels were passed over HDMI when the video was carried in component video format (i.e., YPbPr), but not in RGB format. With the ver. 2.0 firmware update some members were reporting that BTB was no longer supported with either component or RGB formats via HDMI. However, it has now been reported by more than one AVS Forum member that their updated PS3 is passing BTB via HDMI when it is set to output component video format. Also some HDTVs can display Whiter-than-White (WTW) and that is also supported by the PS3 via HDMI when use component video mode. Note that some HDTV's cannot display BTB video level when input via the TV's HDMI. In order to get the PS3 to pass BTB and WTW it must be configured correctly in the PS3's setup menus. Specifically in order to get both Blacker-than-Black and Whiter-Than-White to be output from the PS3 use both of the following two settings (note some HDTVs can only accept video in RGB mode via their HDMI interface and in that case you will need to configure PS3 to output RGB via HDMI (or set the HDMI mode to 'Auto') and you will not be able to get BTB nor WTW):

a.
- Settings menu
- BD/DVD Settings
- BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) set to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

b.
- Settings menu
- Display Settings
- Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) set to on

3. Can now play 5.1 surround sound audio files from the XMB (XrossMediaBar) screen.

4. Can select a different Theme (or create a custom Theme) for the XMB screen. More info on PS3 Themes is HERE.

5. The PS3's web browser is faster with the new firmware.

6. A few people are reporting issues using PS2 contollers (or other PS2 devices that plug into the controller port) in combination with a PS2-to-PS3 (USB) adapter. I'm not having any issues with my PS2 DVD IR remote receiver plugged into a Radio Shack PS2-to-USB adapter.

7. Some people were reporting some lockup problems with playing discs and/or using the web browser with the version 2.0 firmware release. It appears that the version 2.01 release has successfully corrected most of these lockup issues.

November 28, 2007 Addition

ANTICIPATED FUTURE PS3 FIRMWARE UPDATES

There are two key features related to the Blu-ray functions of the PS3 that are much anticipated, but not officially announced by Sony to be included in future firmware updates.

1. A firmware update to support BD Profile 1.1 features. There is substantial evidence from industry insiders, as well as recent related statements by Sony officials, to conclude that a firmware update is coming soon (probably in December 2007) that will upgrade the PS3 from a Profile 1.0 BD player up to a Profile 1.1 player. The first of the BD discs that will use the new features (e.g., PiP) supported by Profile 1.1 are planned for release January 1, 2008 and it appears that Sony plans to update the PS3 firmware to support Profile 1.1 before the release of the new Profile 1.1 enabled movie titles. More information on the BD Profiles can be found here.

2. A firmware update to support the decoding and output in LPCM of the surround sound encoded in DTS HD-Master Audio (DTS HD-MA) format. A previous firmware update added the equivalent support for the decoding and output in LPCM format of Dolby TrueHD and there are reports that Sony is working with DTS on a software decoder implementation for the PS3 to provide the equivalent capability for handling DTS HD-MA. Fox has been releasing movies on BD for some time that includes DTS HD-MA audio as the highest quality format on those discs, but the current PS3 is limited to supporting the lower fidelity core DTS and Dolby Digital formats from these Fox titles. While a firmware update to support the decoding of DTS HD-MA might be forthcoming as part of the anticipated December 2007 update for BD Profile 1.1, a more likely scenario is a DTS HD-MA update will follow a month or two later.

Note: Some have hoped that at some point Sony would release a firmware update that would enable a bitstream output of both Dolby True-HD and DTS HD-MA via HDMI, however it appears to now have been confirmed that the HDMI transmitter chip used in the PS3 cannot support this capability (see here) and also see the final sentence of the 3rd para. of this old press release from SiL ,the manufacturer of the HDMI transmitter chip used in the PS3. Therefore, the PS3 will be limited to internal decoding and outputting via LPCM for the advanced audio formats.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/Updates
post #3 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 AM

After installing this, I go to the demo section to dl the demo for uncharted, and can not select it for dl. In fact, not one single game listed there I can dl. I can highlight it, but when I hit 'X' nothing happens. Even hit every single button to see if it would start.

Haven't tried with a mouse yet.

Anyone else seeing this?
post #4 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTango View Post

After installing this, I go to the demo section to dl the demo for uncharted, and can not select it for dl. In fact, not one single game listed there I can dl. I can highlight it, but when I hit 'X' nothing happens. Even hit every single button to see if it would start.

Haven't tried with a mouse yet.

Anyone else seeing this?

I don't have any problem downloading the "Uncharted Demo" after the update to firmware 2.0. Try resetting your PS3 (unplug the power for a few seconds) and see if that help.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I don't have any problem downloading the "Uncharted Demo" after the update to firmware 2.0. Try resetting your PS3 (unplug the power for a few seconds) and see if that help.

Yes, I had to restart the system (but i didn't need to unplug it) before accessing the PS store.
post #6 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Not to sound negative, but even for a "gamer" update this was really a disappointment.

- Still no XMB during gameplay/movies
- No Blu-ray enhancements
- FUGLY "news" ticker promoting PSN
- Windows 95ish "themes" concept
- Made my pelican PS2 to PS3 adapter that I use to play Guitar Hero 1 and 2 STOP working.

Anyone experiencing any problems? This should've been an incremental release, not a full blown 2.0 update.

Early adaptor of new technology!
post #7 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 09:41 AM

I am going to be upset if my pelican GH2 adapter stopped working. I thought updates were meant to ADD functionality - not remove it....
post #8 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

...this update is focused on gaming updates. It looks like we will have to wait for the next firmware update (version 2.01 or perhaps 2.1) to get the expected BD major updates (to Profile 1.1 and support for DTS HD-MA). I would expect to the next firmware release in December.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Boo Sony! How dare you focus your update on gaming functions. What do you think this is a gaming console? Does it play games?

Seriously it is disappointing not getting DTS-HD Master and 1.1. I had been waiting to watch The Day After Tomorrow but broke down and watched last night after giving up (for now) on lossless audio. Please give us 2.1 sooooon.
post #9 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
you can play 5.1 now in XMB
post #10 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Positives:
5.1 support in XMB playing mpeg files (originaly .ts)
upscale of mpeg files in XMB to 1080i/p (you can keep original size within 1080 frame if you wish)
Possibly upscale of 1080i/480p content on Blu-Ray discs to 1080i/p?
New picture display modes
Audio settings (specify 7.1/5.1 and sampling frequency support) - perhaps this was available to the same extent in 1.93 or older

Edited: removed game upscaling
post #11 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM

I actually quite like most of the new updates.
The themes are cool. Supposedly we will be able to make our own soon.
Being able to download multiple things at the same time from the PS Store now is definately a plus.
You can also now watch videos as they download.
And, as space2001 said, we now get DD 5.1 audio out when playing video files through the XMB. This is HUGE for me.
post #12 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 AM

MaynardJames,

what tools do you use for .ts? I found videoredo being the one that works 100%.
post #13 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

MaynardJames,

what tools do you use for .ts? I found videoredo being the one that works 100%.

I'm on a mac, and I use MPEG Streamclip to edit, and VLC to output to program stream. Works like a charm for me.
post #14 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I am an IT at a software company, just like I tell every user that complains about something, 'reboot and then let me know,' I rebooted the PS3. however, I did not unplug, so will try that after I am done listening to todays whiners here at work.
post #15 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

you can play 5.1 now in XMB

while that's indeed true, here is a the problem...

I've got my PS3 connected to an AVR via HDMI and when I playback an MPEG with DD5.1, the receiver still shows MC7.1 which I'd be fine with, if it were not for the fact that it doesn't sound right.

If I go back and de-select all the PCM formats under the Audio Options (via the manual config), so that all I am left with is DD and DTS, the clip sounds as it should.

By not sounding right, I mean the the soundstage seems to have collapsed when I it comes through as MC...as soon as it comes as bitstream it sounds great...just as the original DVD.

I was hoping this update would allow me to stream some DVD's more easily, but not if I constantly have to change those settings.

Hopefully this makes sense ... others comments?
post #16 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Positives:
upscale of mpeg files in XMB to 1080i/p (you can keep original size within 1080 frame if you wish)
upscale of 720p games to 1080i/p
New picture display modes
Audio settings (specify 7.1/5.1 and sampling frequency support) - perhaps this was available to the same extent in 1.93 or older

My display still says 720p while playing 720p games, is there something I have to select to get the PS3 to scale 720p games to 1080p??? I was not aware this was possable with this new update.
post #17 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch69 View Post

My display still says 720p while playing 720p games, is there something I have to select to get the PS3 to scale 720p games to 1080p??? I was not aware this was possable with this new update.

I believe it will automatically rescale to the highest possible resolution. My TV supports both 720p and 1080i. While letting HDMI detect supported resolution it detects both, along with lower res SD. When I start 720p game console switches to 720p mode and then immediately switches back to 1080i. I didn't see any options to disable upscaling. I guess the only was is to do it is to go in display settings and uncheck 1080i.

Also I've noticed with new theme enabled PS3 XMB has a much slower response (I was video previews when I noticed that).
post #18 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

No DTS HD MA decoding, no update for me.
post #19 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Also I've noticed with new theme enabled PS3 XMB has a much slower response (I was video previews when I noticed that).

Hmm, mine is fine using any one of the new themes.

Also, 720p games still display as 720p on my 1080p SXRD.
post #20 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux23 View Post

No DTS HD MA decoding, no update for me.

I'm disappointed on this one too.
post #21 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed you can listen to music while using the PS3's internet browser. Has this always been available? If not....try it. This is a plus for me. I also noticed downloads are faster as well as the browser. Anyone notice?

Life is what you make it.......
post #22 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

hm, I assume you have it connected over HDMI just like I have.
post #23 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 01:42 PM

For those that have successfully tried playing XMB files with 5.1 audio...

Does this apply to streamed media also? For example, would I be able to stream an .mpg file with DD/DTS 5.1 audio and hear it in 5.1? Does the 5.1 work for .mp4/.mkv files as well?

Thanks!
post #24 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

I'm disappointed on this one too.

It would be nice if Sony would actually let us know IF AND OR WHEN they would add DTS HD master audio decoding to the PS3...I am sure they have gotten lots of emails and calls about it...I have sent a few emails to Sony asking about it but I dont get any kind of information from them either way...If they dont plan on adding DTS HD master decoding to the PS3 then I would like to know so that I can look at other options....Is there any other way to get some info from Sony about this???

Take care,
Brian
post #25 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Positives:
upscale of 720p games to 1080i/p

This is huge for people like me with 1080i CRTs that do not accept a 720p signal at all. The PS3 was scaling those games down to 480p originally.
post #26 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I believe you must force the PS3 to convert by telling it (in the HDMI setup) that your monitor cannot accept 720p, even if it does. The PS3 seems to prefer to send everything natively if it thinks it can.
post #27 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post

I believe you must force the PS3 to convert by telling it (in the HDMI setup) that your monitor cannot accept 720p, even if it does. The PS3 seems to prefer to send everything natively if it thinks it can.

I tried that, disabled 720p and games display at 480p, not 1080i. The games I tried were Resistance: Fall of Man, as well as Spiderman 3. The PS3 isn't upscaling games for me.

And just for clarification, I am not really concerned about this for myself, as my SXRD will accept 720p games, I am just reporting what I am finding for anyone that cares (like you said, people with CRT's that do not accept 720p).
post #28 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely love the new 2.0 firmware ... they added more (torrent-inspired) movie support also.

BTW, I see Transformers HD all over the net, but where is Day After Tomorrow???

post #29 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:

I tried that, disabled 720p and games display at 480p, not 1080i. The games I tried were Resistance: Fall of Man, as well as Spiderman 3. The PS3 isn't upscaling games for me.

I appologize. I though Skate was 720p native game. I'm not a gamer. I tried some other games today and it seems like PS3 doesn't upscale 720p games.

I will edit my previous post.
post #30 of 214 Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM

For the theme-minded ones, see this page which contains a few additional themes and instructions on how to install on the PS3:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/ne...tml#theme[

There is a little link on there, almost hidden, to PC software for creating your own themes:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Conten...eme_v101-E.zip

Have fun.

DenW
"The Black Hole" HT (and other stuff..): http://www.denonline.nl
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page