The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just received mine yesterday and it is simply awsome. PQ is better than the Samsung
BDP1000 and the PS3. Loading times seem to be around the same as the PS3. Now, I am just waiting for my new Marantz SR8002 receiver that I bought from AVS. I am really forward to hear now the DTS HD MA tracks...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I just received mine yesterday and it is simply awsome. PQ is better than the Samsung
BDP1000 and the PS3. Loading times seem to be around the same as the PS3. Now, I am just waiting for my new Marantz SR8002 receiver that I bought from AVS. I am really forward to hear now the DTS HD MA tracks...

Picture Quality is on par with PS3, but loads slower. The PS3 is still the fastest player on the market.
post #543 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

It's funny, the more I see equipment of different types, the more I laugh at those that think quality (audio or video) is directly correlated to weight. It's simply not the case. I've seen this with DVD players, receivers etc. Perhaps there was more truth in this in the past, but you can't bank on this as a consistent 'benchmark' for quality anymore.

Yes it is not true that just because an equipment is heavier and bigger it is better, nevertheless if it is heavier it denotes probably a better power supply section (heavier), better isolation between the audio/video(bigger), better isolation between digital/analog (bigger), etc. Of course it is possible to produce an equipment that is slim (size and weight) and still a superb performer but that is usually expensive because it takes a lot of engineering (better parts and design) - Linn Unidisk SC and Linn Unidisk 1.1 are examples of smaller form and high quality.
I own the Panny and I truly enjoy it, but it is all plastic (the flap door came out when I was installing it, I thought it was broken but I only need to re-insert it) and I can bet the power supply is not that great. But since to me it is only a digital device (I use HDMI only) I'm not that concerned and I believe Panny designed it to be a digitial device (the analog section is there mostly for backward compatibility).
post #544 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Click DMPBD30 and download.

Added:

The easy way is to Right click over DMPBD30-MUL and Save Link Target As...

Many thanks Paul

Panasonic AT6000 Projector, oppo BD-93 ,MR DVD + BD ,
Onkyo 1007,Humax" HDR (UPGRADED to 1TB ) 10 ft 2.35 screen
post #545 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Picture Quality is on par with PS3, but loads slower. The PS3 is still the fastest player on the market.

Had both in my system... The PS3 might be a slitghtly faster, but in Picture
Quality the Panasonic seems to be better. Also the navigation system is much better in the DMP BD30... The PS3 also has a loud noisy fan and has some
overheating issues...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #546 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see a lot more grain on the picture using the panny BD30 than when using the PS3. Is this a defect with panny or are they some tuning issues involved?
post #547 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As to the innards of the Panasonic DMP-BD30, the following is from Keith Jack of Sigma Designs:

Quote:

It uses a SoC and software from Panasonic.

post #548 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 AM

What about display options, remaining time of a title/chapter? The PS3 got loads of display options, how do the Panny hold up?
post #549 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

I see a lot more grain on the picture using the panny BD30 than when using the PS3. Is this a defect with panny or are they some tuning issues involved?

If you choose "Soft" in the video menu it will lessen the harshness of the PQ or user and fine tune to your liking. In my case, my custom, was very close to soft after a hour of playing with settings. I recommend, for the quick fix, play with pre-set settings and fine tune after you evaluate each setting.
post #550 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Picked-up the 30 yesterday at BB outside of Pittsburgh for under $400.00 w/coupons & reward certs. I have to give the edge in picture quality to the Panny over the PS3. Love the picture adjustments and quick load times. However, the 30 is perched on top of my XA-2 in my equipment rack...in terms of build-quality it's like parking a VW Beetle next to a new
5-series BMW in the driveway. But, "pretty is as pretty does" and the 30 is a runway model when it comes to playing BD. Being profile 1.1 capable is icing on the cake...
post #551 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My rotel will not handle HDMI 1.3
I need to use the player as a decoder.
Is sending Bitstream a huge difference vs PCM lossless?
post #552 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is anyone who owns the Panasonic player using it with a Yamaha RX-V3800.
I am wondering if you are getting any strange noises when you are scanning or chapter skipping. This was a post that I made in receivers thread and the Samsung 1400 thread:

I have had a problem using this 1400 with my new Yamaha RX-V3800 but I do not know which unit is causing the problem.

I updated my 1400 via the ethernet port, last Thrusday, (update was on the US site but not the Canuck site) as I wanted to get the Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master capability. This was very easy.......took about under a half an hour...just follow the instructions in the Samsung manual.

Then I tried my NIN True HD track on their Blu-ray and it worked perfectly (Tru HD lights up on the Yamaha, must make sure Sammy is set to bitstream though).

Then to check for DTS Master I put in X-Men 3 and it also worked fine and sounded great.

There is however an issue.........when you scan fwd or rev or chapter fwd/rev (only with DD True, DTS Master) there is a slight burst of digital noise for about a half second (spitting sound, un locked onto digital signal). This is very disturbing as I have never had this with a Yamaha product. Every since Yamaha put out their first digital sound capable receivers (RX-V2090 with outboard DD decoder) they have never had digital noise bursts or sounds at all. Yamaha units (unlike some of their competitors) have always muted themselves correctly before they lock on to the digital signal therefore never subjecting their customer or their customers speakers to this noise.

Having said this, I don't know what is causing it......tried different HDMI cables....and have determined that it is not a cable issue. It may be an issue with the Samsung.......I do not have any other units that can feed these new signals to the Yamaha. I am hoping to get the new Panasonic..but this will not be past my 30 return period on my Yamaha.

I don't intend to accept this as a new norm......if I can't find out what is causing this the Yamaha will go back in the next 9 days.

One other this worth mentioning is that when the Sammy 1400 is set to PCM with the X-MEN Blu-ray.........the Sammy decodes DTS-HD (not Master as it can only decode up to DTS-HD) and sends it to the Yamaha as PCM. When I tried scanning and chapter skipping with this signal.......it caused bigger problems with the Yamaha not locking on and picture disturbances etc.

Is anyone else using this set-up? I have informed A&B sound re all of this and they know nothing (all this is too new). I may take my Samsung down to A&B and hook it up to their Denon AVR-3808CI and do some scanning.....they have suggested this. I have contacted Denon Canada about the fact that my Denon 2910 HDMI signal will not work if used with my new Yamaha.....the serivce guy is in Japan but responded promptly......he will send me new firmware when he gets back to Canada...so that is up in the air too.
post #553 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

My rotel will not handle HDMI 1.3
I need to use the player as a decoder.
Is sending Bitstream a huge difference vs PCM lossless?

Personally, I don't find there to be a huge difference between PCM and bitstream, but my ears detect a bit more clarity in general with bitstream. However, I am really enjoying the DTS MA tracks on the Fox discs. No player released to date decodes DTS MA internally, so its bitstream only for MA.
post #554 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 01:05 PM

" There is however an issue.........when you scan fwd or rev or chapter fwd/rev (only with DD True, DTS Master) there is a slight burst of digital noise for about a half second (spitting sound, un locked onto digital signal). This is very disturbing..."

I found the same condition when scanning with the Onkyo 705 last night.
post #555 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

After such great performance from the BD30 my first problem today. While playing a rental from BB, From Hell, the first few minutes into the movie and the audio and video went blank on my display and my Onkyo 705 had no sound. The front counter on the 30 kept counting even though no audio or video. Stopped the 30 and power of and back on. Then it display 072 front panel, the owners manual says there is a U72 code so maybe it was a U instead of a 0. then the 30 would not even show splash screen. Powered off and done the old power cord off/on trick. When power back on every thing works again just fine and played rest of the From Hell disc without further problems. Hope this is just an rare bug but makes me kind of skeptical about any of the new players really being totally bug free. On the upside, this is first player besides the PS3 to have least play back problems my first week of ownership.

Got another problem playing Flight of the Phoenix, but this time the audio stayed on but video showed everything from snow to blank screen during playback. I could move the HDMI connector on back and get video to go on/off. I changed HDMI cable and seems to work good. If I move connector now it stays on as it should so must be defective cable, but time will tell.

Bill
post #556 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

What exactly does the BD30 output out HDMI when the set to PCM and secondary audio set to off? My Denon 4806CI lights up Multi Channel PCM. It this compressed or equal to the lossless if set to bitstream?
post #557 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 03:10 PM

anyone have a URL to download an update and any advice on how to do it?

thanks!
post #558 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:

Not sure how you have yours set, but there certainly shouldn't be any more grain in the picture than was originally in the movie. I'm seeing an exceedingly clean, sharp and immaculate picture with what I've seen thus far.
post #559 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 03:34 PM

I have mine set to the defaults. When watching Planet Earth the other day I could see some grain. This is not visible all the time just on some scenes and that is if one were to concentrate on some sections of the screen. Never noticed it on the PS3, maybe I just never noticed.
post #560 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM

I wanted to thank all of you for the info. In the past three weeks, I have completely revamped my home theater, and this forum weighed heavily in my decisions about HD disc players. This player BD30 is the final piece, and I just placed the order ... thanks.

Toshiba 52LX177
Onkyo TX-NR905
Toshiba HD-XA2
Panasonic DMP-BD30
Oppo DV-980H
Denon DCM-370
Polk 7.1 setup
Tripp Lite HTRL15UPS

Now, if only the Onkyo (Crutchfield backorder) and one of the Polk towers (UPS goof) would arrive.
post #561 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpomeroy View Post

anyone have a URL to download an update and any advice on how to do it?

Click here for updates. There is no 30K updates at this time.

Click the link above then click DMP-BD10 or DMP-BD10A, there is a step by step procedure. They will most likely post instructions for DMP-BD30K when they have a firmware update.
post #562 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 05:22 PM

OK, I'm confused. Just what is PCM/LPCM? I've seen it listed as uncompressed and as lossless. I've set my BD30 to pass through 96kHz PCM, but every PCM track I've tried (including ones specifically stating they are uncompressed) is shown on screen as 48kHz. I'm guessing this is something less than bit for bit.

My less-than-perfect ears bear this out. I know Dolby Digital is less than bit for bit. But every time I've compared a Dolby Digital track to a PCM one, the DD wins. DD brings out some sounds (esp. low and high frequencies) that are muffled or inaudible on PCM.

For purposes of this comparison, I changed the BD30 setup to compare bitstream and PCM output. I think the PCM output may have improved the PCM tracks a little, but not enough to equal DD.

I'm running the BD30 into a Marantz SR7002 via HDMI. The receiver properly recognizes DD 5.1 and PCM 5.1.

So

Should PCM sound as good as or better than Dolby Digital? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Can PCM sound as good as the compressed lossless codecs (DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD)? Maybe if the PCM disc is coded at 24-bit/96kHz? (I've read that some players decode Dolby TrueHD & send it out as PCM. I assume this would have to sent as 24-bit/96kHz or you'd no longer have bit for bit' sound.)
post #563 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Keith,

The few BR discs I have played with the BD30 I selected uncompressed 5.1 PCM in the audio menu of the disc. In the BD30 audio set up I have all formats set for PCM.

I use the 6CH input of the AVM 30 using the Analog/DSP mode. This gives you all the bass management, speaker distances and any DSP modes available (I prefer THX Cinema). It eliminates using the BD30 for any speaker settings letting the AVM 30 handle these duties which I am sure it does a better job.

SQ with the uncompressed 5.1 PCM IMO is excellent. I now feel no need to rush out and buy a HDMI 1.3 pre-pro at this time. I think you would be very happy with the BD30 combined with your AVM 20.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 View Post

Bill,

Thanks for your quick response. I will pick up the BD30 at CC tomorrow. What analog cables are you using and what do you recommend? I have to buy 3 pairs! I do have 3 pairs of cheap wires with cheap red and white plugs, I could use those for now. I'm currently using Harmonic Tech Pro-Silway II XLRs from my AVM20 to Classe amp. The BD30 is only around $450, so I wouldn't want to spend more than $100 or so on the cables.

I agree with you on not worrying about HDMI1.3 for now. Anthem wants $2,300 to upgrade an AVM20 to AVM50 status! I'm happy to get PCM 5.1 via analog for much less.

Keith

Gentlemen-

I'm not familiar with your amp setups, but have you considered using bitstream instead of (or maybe in addtion to) analog? I think you'll still get all your speaker management features & have acees to more audio options -- e.g. Dolby Digital.

Just a thought.
post #564 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have mine set to the defaults. When watching Planet Earth the other day I could see some grain. This is not visible all the time just on some scenes and that is if one were to concentrate on some sections of the screen. Never noticed it on the PS3, maybe I just never noticed.

From what I have read, the grain is just the player showing you a sharper more detailed image thus you see the actual film grain better then on the PS3 as it can not produce the detail as well. I think that it is mentioned in a few posts at the beginning of this long thread. It does sound like you can soften the picture if you like though I do not know why you would unless you hate grain that much.

-Mark AKA A/Vspec
ISF certified Audio/Video Specialist

Home of the ISF and Audyssey Pro calibrated Medieval Knight Theater:
http://www.digitalvortex.com
post #565 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry if this has already been addressed here, but I want to make double sure I'm making the right choice. I have the opportunity to pick up the 80gb PS3 for $399.00 plus tax today with a KMART coupon, but I must confess that the great reviews of the Panny have got me salivating... Because I'm a sucker for pq... But here's the issue... I currently have a Denon avr 2802 receiver, which still performs very well but has no HDMI connectivity... I do have a Sony Bravia 40v2500, so I can connect either the panny or the PS3 to the tv directly using hdmi and then use a toslink optical connection for my receiver's needs. With this set-up, will you say I should go with the panny for $499 plus tax or the 80gb PS3 for $399 plus tax... By the way, I plan to upgrade my receiver to an Onkyo 705 eventually... just not immediately since whatever I purchase now will lighten the wallet quite a bit.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #566 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE 1 View Post

Gentlemen-

I'm not familiar with your amp setups, but have you considered using bitstream instead of (or maybe in addtion to) analog? I think you'll still get all your speaker management features & have acees to more audio options -- e.g. Dolby Digital.

Just a thought.

I have a Anthem AVM 30 and a Parasound Halo A52 amp. By amp I assume you are referring to a receiver or pre-pro. I use the analog 5.1 output of the BD30 to the 5.1 input of the AVM 30 as it does not have HDMI inputs.

I set every format/output in the BD30 audio setup to PCM. I am able to apply DSP modes and all speaker settings using the 5.1 input of the AVM 30. This is a nice feature of the AVM 30 which is not common on most receivers and pre-pros. The speaker settings/bass management features of the AVM 30 are much better than those same settings in the BD30.

When watching a BR disc I select uncompressed 5.1 PCM in the discs audio menu. The SQ using the uncompressed 5.1 PCM output IMO is much better than DD. I have read many posts from members saying that to them uncompressed 5.1 PCM sounds as good as DD+/TrueHD and DTS-HD. I have never done a direct comparison but till I get a 1.3 HDMI pre-pro I will be quite happy with my current system and its SQ.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #567 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

I certainly would not see loads slower by any means. My PS3 is a bit faster than my Panny 30, but not by any significant amount.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #568 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

What size screen are you using and what TV/projector?

For what its worth, I have always seen grain in Planet Earth on the PS3 and my 94" screen with the RS1. There is grain throughout most of the series infact. Looks realy good, but not squeaky clean. I would bet the grain you are seeing is in the source and may be more noticable now with the Panny since IMO it is putting out a slightly sharper more detailed pic. Throw on someting like CARS if you want to see some sqeaky clean material. There is no grain in that and with that slight extra sharpness and detail impact of the Panny it is stunning!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #569 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The 30K should be able to be tweaked to a better picture than the PS3. If not then I would say your display is suspect...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #570 of 12545 Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

What size screen are you using and what TV/projector?

For what its worth, I have always seen grain in Planet Earth on the PS3 and my 94" screen with the RS1. There is grain throughout most of the series infact. Looks realy good, but not squeaky clean. I would bet the grain you are seeing is in the source and may be more noticable now with the Panny since IMO it is putting out a slightly sharper more detailed pic. Throw on someting like CARS if you want to see some sqeaky clean material. There is no grain in that and with that slight extra sharpness and detail impact of the Panny it is stunning!

I have the Sony 46XBR4 and was using the custom settings on the 46XBR4 posted by some users on the XBR4 calibration thread. I changed the XBR4 display setting to the TV's default Cinema setting and the grain was not so much visible- a lot more natural looking picture. I guess the Sony's default settings are the best.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd30k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page