The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes as long as the disk has a Uncompressed LPCM track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 PM

Well sh!t, just hit the first snag:
CUE
It's not readily apparent at normal viewing distances in High Def, but it's there. WHY, WHY, WHY are we still dealing with this dumb issue!!!?!??!?!
post #63 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:21 PM

ok... I'll bite.... what is CUE?
post #64 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post

Well sh!t, just hit the first snag:CUE

Do you have the output set I or P? If set to P try it with the output set to 1080/I and let your JVC do the deinterlace and film cadence.

And thanks for the review!
post #65 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudotrue View Post

ok... I'll bite.... what is CUE?

Some info at Secerts of Home Theater.
post #66 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
Picking mine up tonight, Circuit City in So Cal. Used 10% coupon. Audio should be great with recently purchased Marantz SR8002.
post #67 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM

If a Blu Ray disc has DTS HD or True HD sound what does this player output over the 5.1 analog outs?
post #68 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

DTS & Dolby Digital. No internal decoding for new audio formats.
post #69 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Some info at Secerts of Home Theater.

thanks... i always knew this as chroma bug... and had actually read that article before and just forgot all about CUE.. ha!
post #70 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsprague View Post

If a Blu Ray disc has DTS HD or True HD sound what does this player output over the 5.1 analog outs?

DTS core and DD. That is the one place this player is lacking. No decoding at all. It is really only for those that have 1.3 receivers.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #71 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Do you have the output set I or P? If set to P try it with the output set to 1080/I and let your JVC do the deinterlace and film cadence.

And thanks for the review!

Rock On!!! You're my hero. That totally fixed it.
Unfortunately, I don't know where that leaves people using this player with 24p displays.
post #72 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..Unfortunately, I don't know where that leaves people using this player with 24p displays.

They should be fine with player set to output 1080p/24.
post #73 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Brad, or anyone who has one...Have you had any video stops, audio dropouts, or acting up on any discs. I have the new pioneer and it stopped playing audio on the recent "Invinsible" release.

thanks,
M1
post #74 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Hey Brad, or anyone who has one...Have you had any video stops, audio dropouts, or acting up on any discs. I have the new pioneer and it stopped playing audio on the recent "Invinsible" release.

thanks,
M1

Nothing major so far. The only slight glitch I've had was some weird menu stuff with Ice Age 2. When I pulled up the scene select menu, it gave me some weird graphic glitches, but the menus still operated and could be turned off when done. But nothing that has caused an issue with the movie.

Conversely, I had Spiderman 3 just stop playing about 2 hours in on the Sony 500. It was the first movie I played on it, btw.
post #75 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDmember View Post

Yes as long as the disk has a Uncompressed LPCM track.

Let me make sure i've got this straight, right now i've got an older Rotel pre/pro (no HDMI) that will only decode DD / DTS , along with that i'm using an older Pio 525 DVD player that I have connected via dig coax cable. The Rotel is doing the converting now. If I buy the Panny 30 , i'll be able to connect via the 5.1audio outs to my Rotels 5.1 inputs. I understand I will not get the advanced audio codecs at this time , but, by doing this I should benefit from getting Uncompressed 5.1 audio (providing it's on the disc of course) from the 5.1 audio outs on the Panny? My Rotel will more or less just become a 'gain' control at this point. I've been told that this alone can be quite an eye (ear) opener compared to reg. DD / DTS. Is this true? I plan to upgrade the Rotel some day to a unit that will decode ALL the newest formats .... so right now this Panny interest me for it's Video playback quality first and foremost. I guess I'm thinking that going from straight DD / DTS to uncompressed 5.1 will be a pretty good thrill for the time being and gives me something to still look foward to down the road. Am I correct in my thinking??
post #76 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing major so far. The only slight glitch I've had was some weird menu stuff with Ice Age 2. When I pulled up the scene select menu, it gave me some weird graphic glitches, but the menus still operated and could be turned off when done. But nothing that has caused an issue with the movie.

Conversely, I had Spiderman 3 just stop playing about 2 hours in on the Sony 500. It was the first movie I played on it, btw.

Brad , does this player enable you to 'stop' during movie (say to check players menu , etc.) and resume playback? While auditioning the Sammy 1400 this was a thorn when stopping a movie such as Pirates, and having to start all over again
post #77 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 06:23 PM

HI Brad....wondering if you cn help me.

I am considering get this new player based on your positive review. At the moment, I am using a 720p native display that will have to be fed using component. If I buy an A/V receiver that is 1.3 ready and able to decode all thee new audio format, will this work for me? In other words, can I use and HDMI out from the player and connect to the HDMI in on my receiver then use a component out of my receiver to my 720p display? If not, what do you recommend I do? Keeping in mind that I don't have much choice about my component connetion. I will be buying the Yammi RX-V1800.

Thanks (and to anyone that provides advice)
post #78 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigesh View Post

They should be fine with player set to output 1080p/24.

Could you elaborate on this a bit as I will be using this player with a 1080/24p display and want to make sure I will have no issues.

Thanks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #79 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

Brad , does this player enable you to 'stop' during movie (say to check players menu , etc.) and resume playback? While auditioning the Sammy 1400 this was a thorn when stopping a movie such as Pirates, and having to start all over again

On any disc that is not Java, you can stop playback and resume where you were. You can even turn the player off, come back tomorrow, fire it up and it'll remember your place. Panasonics are the only BD players to do that. For any discs authored in Java, the disc will restart at the beginning if you stop it no matter what. This is inherent in the authoring and all players are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

I guess I'm thinking that going from straight DD / DTS to uncompressed 5.1 will be a pretty good thrill for the time being and gives me something to still look foward to down the road. Am I correct in my thinking??

Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

I am considering get this new player based on your positive review. At the moment, I am using a 720p native display that will have to be fed using component. If I buy an A/V receiver that is 1.3 ready and able to decode all thee new audio format, will this work for me? In other words, can I use and HDMI out from the player and connect to the HDMI in on my receiver then use a component out of my receiver to my 720p display? If not, what do you recommend I do? Keeping in mind that I don't have much choice about my component connetion. I will be buying the Yammi RX-V1800.

I don't see why that would be a problem. The Panasonic has separate settings for both HDMI and component resolutions. You won't get upconversion of standard DVD over component, but you won't with any player really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Could you elaborate on this a bit as I will be using this player with a 1080/24p display and want to make sure I will have no issues.

Actually, I just spoke with Robert George and he said the 24p output is fine (it's essentially because the BD30 is straight outputting what's native on the disc, the CUE is being caused in the conversion from 24 frames to 60).
post #80 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Thanks Brad for your great review. I just placed an order, Panasonic
should pay you :-) I have Denon 3808CI too, so your update
was very encouraging.
With my new Toshiba A35 I'm covered on both sides....
I feel like finally we are not beta testers anymore, we can just
enjoy high quality home entertainment.
post #81 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

On any disc that is not Java, you can stop playback and resume where you were. You can even turn the player off, come back tomorrow, fire it up and it'll remember your place. Panasonics are the only BD players to do that. For any discs authored in Java, the disc will restart at the beginning if you stop it no matter what. This is inherent in the authoring and all players are the same.

Yes, that's correct.

I don't see why that would be a problem. The Panasonic has separate settings for both HDMI and component resolutions. You won't get upconversion of standard DVD over component, but you won't with any player really.

Actually, I just spoke with Robert George and he said the 24p output is fine (it's essentially because the BD30 is straight outputting what's native on the disc, the CUE is being caused in the conversion from 24 frames to 60).

Good deal. Thanks a bunch!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #82 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Well, thanks for a great review Brad. I can get this player through EPP through my company for under 385.00. Panasonic is only per-order right now, I heard by 3rd week in Nov. they will ship. Thanks again.

PCW
post #83 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

$385? can you get one for me too...? LOL
post #84 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Brad....Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that I won't be able to upconvert SD DVD but if I use the HDMI out of the player and into the receiver and let the receiver switch from HDMI to component, you are saying that this should work but would there be a deteriorating in signal (signal loss) and if so, would it be much in your opinion?

An you mentioned about an option in the player that lets you decide HDMI or component, would I choose the component or HDMI since the signal leaving the player would be through the HDMI....but I would have to leave my projector at component since the signal arriving to it would be through the component cable after being converted inside the A/V receiver.

Now this may be a dumb question but can an A/V receiver actually do such a switching?
post #85 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 PM

How can this be an "owners" thread when there are no owners?...
post #86 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:24 PM

TheHDMan.....actually, brad ley is an owner....
post #87 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by et88b View Post

Picking mine up tonight, Circuit City in So Cal. Used 10% coupon. Audio should be great with recently purchased Marantz SR8002.

Same here, at the one in Fullerton, CA. I saved a little more green by double dipping with the 10% coupon. Can't wait to test this player. Wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't read Brad's review.
post #88 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM

I have a 7.1 HT speaker set-up with a 7.1 reciever with no HDMI. It's too bad the new panasonic 30k has only 5.1 audio outputs. Don`t think it would give me 7.1 sound if I hook it up to my reciever? Might still plan on buying the bd10AK instead because of the 7.1 audio outputs. I don't care much about PIP. Do you guy's feel the same?
post #89 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

There are few movies that actually are 7.1 so I don't think it's a big issue
post #90 of 12544 Old 11-09-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

Brad....Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that I won't be able to upconvert SD DVD but if I use the HDMI out of the player and into the receiver and let the receiver switch from HDMI to component, you are saying that this should work but would there be a deteriorating in signal (signal loss) and if so, would it be much in your opinion?

An you mentioned about an option in the player that lets you decide HDMI or component, would I choose the component or HDMI since the signal leaving the player would be through the HDMI....but I would have to leave my projector at component since the signal arriving to it would be through the component cable after being converted inside the A/V receiver.

Now this may be a dumb question but can an A/V receiver actually do such a switching?

You should be able to just hook up the player directly to the TV via component video without going through the receiver. You can then also hook up the HDMI cable to the receiver and get your sound. These players output via component and HDMI simultaneously.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd30k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page