AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

$385? can you get one for me too...? LOL

Ask your friends...someone you know probably has access to the program at their place of work. My buddy at Bank of America ordered one for me. The wait will be worth it for savings well over $100 on the retail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

You should be able to just hook up the player directly to the TV via component video without going through the receiver. You can then also hook up the HDMI cable to the receiver and get your sound. These players output via component and HDMI simultaneously.

Correct. nsguy, you can't have your receiver switch video because nothing will convert hdmi video to component. As RWetmore says, run comp straight to the display and hdmi to the receiver for audio seperately.
post #93 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 PM

RWetmore.....Thanks!! I didn't know this was possible! If that is the case, that makes it sweet! It makes it easier and the kind of information I was trying to get here so THANK YOU very much for your help!

Now, if I may, would such a setup make it prone to lip sync issues? Where the audio is being fed through HDMI and video through component?
post #94 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Brad...just saw your post so THANKS you as well to both you and RWetmore for this invaluable information! I have a feeling my credit card will be swiped tomorrow
post #95 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Bought the BD30 today afternoon from CC and returned my samsung 1400.
My samsung 1400 played fine with the original firmware but I couldn't enjoy DTS-HD MA (have onkyo 805) with it because heared too many issues after the firmware update. Anyway, I really like my new panny. PQ and SQ are same as 1400 and plus runs the java menu smoother. PQ was not good initially (using 1080i component for mtsu 65inch RPTV) and noticed that the Black Level Control was set to 'Lighter' (now changed to 'Darker'). PQ is much better now. So far, I have tested, kOH and Rat and they all ran fine and loaded faster than samsung 1400.
post #96 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'm picking up my Panny DMP-BD30K tomorrow and will be using it with an Onkyo TX-SR705 and a Sharp LC-52D64U 52" 1080p LCD all connected via HDMI. Previously had the Samsung BD-P1400.

I've read every post and want to make sure I have this right.

Send all audio to Onkyo 705 via Bitstream
Turn off secondary audio mixing
Set player to 1080i instead of 1080p because of CUE

Will the CUE be corrected with a firmware update or is this a flaw I'll have to live with?

Thanks in advance...
post #97 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Damn! I take a few hours to wring the new player out a bit and come back to a thread 4 pages long .

For reference, I have had a PS3 for nearly a year now, and have tried nearly every model BD player released to date with the exception of the previous Panasonic models. In just the pst 4 weeks or so, I have had the following players in my system for anywhere from one day to one week...

Samsung BDP-1400 (3)
Sharp BD-HP20
Sony BDP-S500
Pioneer BDP-95FD

Of these players, I was most frustrated by the Sony S500 as it had the best video performance, and was almost perfect on audio except that Sony inexplicably chose to not enable bitstream output of DTS-HD MA, despite having bitstream capability for TrueHD. I was most disappointed by the Pioneer as I had the highest hopes for that player only for find it to be the slowest loading and most lethargic on Java based material. So slow, in fact, that I could not live with it despite excellent video performance and proper bitstream audio support.

Enter the surprisingly unheralded Panasonic DMP-BD30. Officially announced less than two weeks ago, the player looked, on paper, to be just what I have been looking for. With my very frustrating experience trying to find a BD player I could live with over the past several weeks, I was actually afraid to hope the Panasonic would perform up to the expectation the spec sheet set. My trepidation quickly turned to anticipation following a phone conversation yesterday with Brad Ley when he received his player a day before mine was to arrive.

Brad's review covered most of the bases, and I concur with completely. As he mentioned a few posts back, I do have a display that scans 24p natively so I can atest the new Panny is flawless in this regard. 24p is available as an "auto" resolution and is detected and output perfectly. Video based material switches to 1080/60p. Since 24p is set by the player based on the connected display, those that have problems with other players that do not "force" 24p where an incorrect EDID or a receiver that does not properly pass EDID data is present will likely have an issue with this player also. I use a Sony Pearl with a Denon receiver (4308) and all is well.

I'm going to make a comparison, and don't take this as a format swipe, but for those familiar with the performance of the latest Toshiba HD DVD players, you will know what I mean. To wit, Blu-ray, and specifically, Panasonic, has finally delivered a player that performs as well as HD DVD. Just as I am completely satisfied with the new Toshiba HD-A35 for HD DVD having perfect 24p output as well as advanced audio bitstream output, the new Panasonic does everything right. While some will claim the lack of internal advanced audio decoding is a "flaw', I will point out this is by design and is stated clearly by Panasonic. The absence of internal audio decoding for TrueHD and DTS-HD is intentional, therefore, not a flaw, and I would even speculate this may be one of the reasons this new player performs so well with Java material. Without internal lossless audio decoding, more of the player's processing resources are, perhaps, being brought to bear on the resource-intensive Java processing. That is a guess on my part, but I think a logical one. This player is the first without any internal decoding of advanced audio, but is the absolute best performer on advanced disc authoring.

Video performance is top tier among all Blu-ray players. My previous "favorite" for just video performance has been the Sony S500 followed very closely by the PS3 and Pioneer Elite 95FD. I rate the BD30 at least equal to the Sony S500. The picture is very sharp with excellent fine detail while maintaining a smooth, film-like image. There are picture controls offering more adjustment than just about any other player, though I find Panasonic's "standard" setting preferable.

Disc processing, ie, menu loading/playing, navigation, chapter stepping, audio sync when skipping, etc., is virtually perfect. The only player faster on Java material is the PS3, and it isn't that much faster. No standalone can touch the new Panny for functionality in this area. Add the flexibility of IR control (think universal remote controls) and I put the BD30 ahead of the PS3 for overall functionality.

Physically, the BD30 is one of the smallest BD players. Similar in size to the Sony S300, it is lighter even than that player. Very similar in size and heft to the Toshiba HD-A35. Ironic that it is also similar in performance.

After spending the past few hours with this player, I am actually feeling the most positive about the Blu-ray format in general than I have for, well, ever. Can one player fix everything wrong with Blu-ray? Of course not. However, in the more narrow context of a single user with specific desires in hardware performance, the most perfect player to date is now available. There is nothing about the new BD30 that I can realistically say I dislike, and I am, for the first time, completely satisfied with a piece of Blu-ray gear.

Some will say this player cannot be considered a top performer because of the lack of internal audio support. Perhaps, in the broadest sense. However, assuming one has the requisite audio equipment matching the technology of this player, I consider the new Panasonic DMP-BD30, the ONLY top performer to date. If you are Blu and want something besides a game console in your rig, there is the BD30, and then there is everything else.

Go git 'em, boys.
post #98 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Great write-up Robert. Seems like Toshiba A35/Panasonic BD30
is a combo to have :-)
post #99 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

Without internal lossless audio decoding, more of the player's processing resources are, perhaps, being brought to bear on the resource-intensive Java processing. That is a guess on my part, but I think a logical one.

I also think lack of DVD-Audio support backs up your findings...
post #100 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post

Correction... the Toshiba XA2/Panasonic BD30 is the combo to have! (At least, that will be the case when Toshiba finally releases the bitstream advanced audio firmware update they've promised.)

And that's exactly what I'll own effective tomorrow. Brad's and Robert's reviews are killing me here! I've placed my order with CC (10% off coupon of course) and I'll be picking it up at my local store late tomorrow.

But damn it, the BD30 is really going to cost me about $1600! I will also be picking up a Pioneer VSX-94TXH this weekend!

So, from an already ordered standpoint, I'm now officially neutral. I'll be getting my first two Blu-ray discs at Fry's (Cars and Ratatouille) as they are offering the $10 off deal too.

I'm outta control!!!

Mark
post #101 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Damn! I take a few hours to wring the new player out a bit and come back to a thread 4 pages long .

Thanks for your comments.
post #102 of 12545 Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I just picked up the Panasonic DMP-BD30 tonight from Circuit City. (By the way, can someone please PM me directing me to a CC coupon? )

I have an ISF'd 60" Sony SXRD (A3000) which does 1080/24p. I've been using the PS3, but the DMP-BD30 had me curious based on early reviews and chatter. I've been interested in this player for two reasons: bitstream audio and at least some noticable improvement in image quality. Well, I have both of those now.

The DMP-BD30 does offer an improvement over the PS3 in picture quality. The image on the DMP-BD30 is sharper, more detailed, and a bit more crisp. It's almost like the focus of the image has been dialed in a bit more. Contrast seems slightly better too. Again, these differences are not drastic by any means on my display, but I find them appreciable because at this level (unlike the days of various 480i/p DVD players) you need to be realistic with any improvement you get. The improvement is slight, but without a doubt noticable when viewing movies.

Of course, having bitstream to send my Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH is nice, as well.

I pretty much agree with what has been said about the operation of the player. It's a bit of an adjustment for me since the speed of the PS3 is so very good. But, I like the fact the DMP-BD30 uses less wattage (anything to help keep the electric bill down) and I have to admit, cosmetically, it's very nice looking and looks better with the rest of my equipment. I've had my PS3 for almost a year and it's been absolutely flawless and part of me is a little hesistant to give it up, but in all honesty, I cannot think of a good reason to keep it over the DMP-BD30 since movies are all I care about.

I did find one thing minor issue - maybe someone knows the answer. I tried to view the Sony BD test patterns in the menu of the disc and the player would not let me enter in "7669".

post #103 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks also go to the Panasonic BD player team and Keith Jack and his folks at Sigma Designs.

Panasonic used a Sigma chip? I was under the impression this was a proprietary Panasonic solution.
post #104 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I will also be picking up a Pioneer VSX-94TXH this weekend!

Oooohhh, you're gonna like that. I was this close to going with a 94TXH a few months ago, but opted for the Denon for the dual HDMI outputs. I had a 84TXH in my rig for a couple of weeks and was mighty impressed with that piece.
post #105 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Panasonic used a Sigma chip? I was under the impression this was a proprietary Panasonic solution.

It is a proprietary design according to the press release I read on 10/30.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #106 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

The video processing is Panasonic, IIRC, the SoC is Sigma. But I will ask Keith to give us the facts. Edited the post in question.
post #107 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

The video processing is Panasonic, IIRC, the SoC is Sigma. But I will ask Keith to give us the facts. Edited the post in question.

Well this is taken from the announcement. And it talks about the single chip.

Quote:

These high-quality image and sound technologies are incorporated in the UniPhier chip, a Panasonic-created system LSI developed by applying 45-nanometer processing to a consumer product for the first time in the world. This single-chip integration technology also contributes greatly to the DMP-BD30's slimmer dimensions and lower power consumption.

http://www.digitaltvdesignline.com/2...nline_dtvdlRSS

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #108 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

I cracked open the cover. The only visible chip on the top side of the main video board that is large enough to read is a Panasonic chip located near the back of the board. If this is the UniPher chip, it is indeed one of the smallest LSIs I have ever seen. A bit larger than my thumbnail.
post #109 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:

I cracked open the cover. The only visible chip on the top side of the main video board that is large enough to read is a Panasonic chip located near the back of the board. If this is the UniPher chip, it is indeed one of the smallest LSIs I have ever seen. A bit larger than my thumbnail.

Please post pictures of the motherboard and the chips.
Thanks!
post #110 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have tried the Sony S1 and 300 which were too slow "to market at all" in my opinion. I have also tried the Samsung 1200 and although it had the best DVD picture I have ever seen (noticebly better than my 2910) it had no advanced audio and would be too slow with POTC etc.

My thoughts about all of the other players and feeling about this Panasonic 30model are basically about exactly as Robert's comments. Finally something that will give the picture and sound that I want and moves and reacts quickly enough and is reliable and not too expensive, and has BD 1.1 for future disc's (Batman pls Warner).

My new Yamaha 3800 does not realize it yet but it will be mating soon and divorcing (Annulment actually as it is under 7 days right now) its current mate, the Sammy 1400. The 1400 which is so resistant/ reluctant to respond to commands from its' remote (even when pointed directly at it) that someone should be executed for the offense.

Can't wait until I can get this in Edmonton (Otherwise know as "Oilworld"). Hustle it up Panasonic Canada!!
post #111 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Could you elaborate on this a bit as I will be using this player with a 1080/24p display and want to make sure I will have no issues.

Thanks

I think I spoke too early without having this player on hand; and a wishful guess at best. Sorry. I don't know if this player keeps 1080p video signal as 1080p all the way in the video processing chain, or would convert to 1080i and then back to 1080p like BD10 reportedly did for film contents.
post #112 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 06:29 AM

Liked: 11
I was just about to get the pioneer i should reconsider then?
post #113 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post

Ok, to my eyes, it is. Does that make me wrong? You seem to be running all over the internet trying to justify this purchase to yourself. Keep in mind that you're viewing on a 40" LCD set. As you go up in screen size a lot of different things become more visible. There were things I thought looked very, very good @ 50" that completely fell apart @70" (Lethal Weapon 2). Ask the guys using 100+ inch screens if they see differences in various players. You don't see the improvement... I think we get it. If you don't like it, take it back.

I just see more resolution of fine grain. That's why I said some people are going to attack this player as noisy. Additional texture is the only way to describe it. Rocky Balboa is a great example. During the first 3/4 of the film, there's a slightly more gritty, grainy texture to image that looks very detailed and filmic. Once the movie gets into the final fight and the photography switches to HD cameras, all that grain and grit vanishes and the picture is smooth and extremely detailed. But it's the loss of that film texture that tells me its not video noise, but rather exceptional texture and detail in the film portions of the movie. I've thought (sorry Patrick) that the PS3 was slightly softer overall than some of the other players out there, so the upgrade in the BD30 was a pleasant bump up. Is it the difference between going from DVD to HD? No, most people can't or won't be able to see the advantages.

Having said that, I'm not going to answer any more questions about PQ since it's so obviously dependant on displays and opinions. I fear that this player is going to make a lot of people angry.

No matter what the display size it's still the same number of pixels. I think my viewing distance compensates for screen size. Since you say you won't answer any more questions on PQ I won't bother to ask what type of comparison method you used to arrive at your conclusion that the PQ was "certainly more detailed" than the PS3. I won't ask whether you had two copies of the same title, one in each player, switching back and forth to view the same scenes as close in time as possible, which is what I did.
post #114 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post

Correction. The XA2 / BD30 is the combo to have. The A35 doesn't hold a candle to the XA2.
post #115 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgn View Post

I have a 7.1 HT speaker set-up with a 7.1 reciever with no HDMI. It's too bad the new panasonic 30k has only 5.1 audio outputs. Don`t think it would give me 7.1 sound if I hook it up to my reciever? Might still plan on buying the bd10AK instead because of the 7.1 audio outputs. I don't care much about PIP. Do you guy's feel the same?

TCGN,

With the Panny 30 using the 5.1 analog outs you will get DD and DTS sound only. With the older Panny 10 you will TrueHD and DTS-HD when available on the 7.1 analog outs. The Panny 10 has internal decoding for the HD Audio and the Panny 30 does not. If you do not plan on buying a new receiver soon, then the Panny 10 deserves consideration.
post #116 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Correction. The XA2 / BD30 is the combo to have. The A35 doesn't hold a candle to the XA2.

Hey, there's an echo in here!

Mark
post #117 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

RWetmore.....Thanks!! I didn't know this was possible! If that is the case, that makes it sweet! It makes it easier and the kind of information I was trying to get here so THANK YOU very much for your help!

Now, if I may, would such a setup make it prone to lip sync issues? Where the audio is being fed through HDMI and video through component?

I'm using precisely such a setup, and I have experienced no lip sync issues whatsoever.
post #118 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was just about to get the pioneer i should reconsider then?

Depends on what you are looking for and what is most important to you. I had a Pioneer Elite 95FD in my system several days ago. It is a very well built player with great image quality and the same bitstream audio support as the Panny. It has more internal audio decoding support than the BD30. The total feature set of the Pioneer is beyond the Panasonic (media gallery). The Pioneer is $1000 and the Panasonic is $500. To me, after using both, I'd pay the grand for the Panasonic even if you tried to GIVE me the Pioneer. Really.

Quote:

The A35 doesn't hold a candle to the XA2.

I owned the XA2 since last January before replacing it with the A35 a month ago. I disagree.

The XA2 is very well built player. It does 1080/60p video processing better than any other HD DVD player, particularly on SD DVD. Within that rather narrow framework, yes the XA2 is the best HD DVD player. However, currently, the XA2 does not offer bitstream audio support, 24p output is broken, and it costs $799 compared to the A35 at $499. The A35 is actually quite close to the performance of the XA2 when set to 1080i output. Indeed, I'd call them a toss-up on SD upconversion to 1080i. On HD DVD, which is what these players' primary purpose is, I actually find the cheaper A35 to be at the very least equal to the XA2, if not slightly superior. The A35 is certainly a bit quicker and the image is, perhaps, a hair sharper than the XA2.

So, no, I don't think the XA2/BD30 is the "ultimate HDM combo".
post #119 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can someone give me a hint where this 10% off CC coupon is?

I WILL be picking up the 30 ASAP.
post #120 of 12545 Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM

On ther web page, just look on front order online purchase over 250.00 and save 10% code KAAP6MRA6Z

says end Saturday
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd30k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page