post #91 of 401 Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Tried to update the FW today but I keep getting "UNSUP" in the display of the BD30. I do not have Vista as I believe I have XP, disc burned fine but BD30 will not run it. The BD30 is working fine I just thought I would update before my 30 day period runs out. Not too computer gifted here!

Bill

Did you follow the procedures, see link:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ica/index.html

look at : BD Firmware Update Procedure (PDF) on the page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 401 Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Tried to update the FW today but I keep getting "UNSUP" in the display of the BD30. I do not have Vista as I believe I have XP, disc burned fine but BD30 will not run it. The BD30 is working fine I just thought I would update before my 30 day period runs out. Not too computer gifted here!

Bill

Can you pop the CD into a computer and check what you have burned on it?
There should be one file only and that is the "PANA_DVD.FRM"
Make sure the disc is "finalized" (no further writing possible) too.
Also, per Panasonic: "Please be aware that "packet-writing" is not supported"
Lastly, if you already have 1.2 for some reason, you will get the UNSUP message.
post #93 of 401 Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtownsend View Post

Can you pop the CD into a computer and check what you have burned on it?
There should be one file only and that is the "PANA_DVD.FRM"
Make sure the disc is "finalized" (no further writing possible) too.
Also, per Panasonic: "Please be aware that "packet-writing" is not supported"
Lastly, if you already have 1.2 for some reason, you will get the UNSUP message.

rr6966 and emtownsend,

Thanks for your help, but it is either me or my computer (or both) but I am having no success. When I read the burned CD it shows "UPDATE BD30 NT V12" not "Pana_DVD.FRM. I must be doing something wrong, oh well. I checked the FW in the BD30 and it is 1.1.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #94 of 401 Old 11-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:

rr6966 and emtownsend,

Thanks for your help, but it is either me or my computer (or both) but I am having no success. When I read the burned CD it shows "UPDATE BD30 NT V12" not "Pana_DVD.FRM. I must be doing something wrong, oh well. I checked the FW in the BD30 and it is 1.1.

Bill

Sounds like you didn't unzip the file first... Double click the original file to extract the needed FRM file.... Then burn.
post #95 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I did just that but my ISO program burner can't load it as image.I guess it's not an ISO image, so I can't even burn this and Windows says can't open this file because don't know what program created it. I have Windows XP Media center edition.
I've never had this problem with the Toshiba FW.
If somone can host this as an ISO file it would be appreciated.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #96 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I did just that but my ISO program burner can't load it as image.I guess it's not an ISO image, so I can't even burn this and Windows says can't open this file because don't know what program created it. I have Windows XP Media center edition.

I am having the same problem (I have XP as well), add to the fact that I am not very computer savvy does not help either! I have had no problem with FW upgrades for my A2 either.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #97 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

OK I was able to burn it, and run the disc but after a few minutes the tray opened and the display says "UPD NG". It's been like that for about 10 mins. Any ideas?

The Hun
post #98 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the player is toast.

Edit: I burnt a new disc which resurrected the player, and now have the FW 1.2 on the bottom. Pheew!

The Hun
post #99 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well the player is toast.

Edit: I burnt a new disc which resurrected the player, and now have the FW 1.2 on the bottom. Pheew!

EEEEK! That was close, glad you were able to get the BD30 to come back to life. Maybe I will skip the upgrade as I have had no issues so far. Plus I can not seem to burn the FW properly anyhow.

Bill

post #100 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 02:26 PM

I appreciate all the information and advice on this thread, but does anyone else have a queasy feeling?

The download and instructions are from the Panasonic Global web site, and the file name does, indeed, say North America. But, try as I may, I can't find this or any other update for the BD30 on Panasonic's US web site. (They do have an update for the BD10.) Is Panasonic US just slow? Or is there some reason why this update doesn't apply to players purchased here?

I know we tend to be early adopters here, but there seem to have been a number of problems with the download/update. Maybe there's a reason for that
post #101 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE 1 View Post

I know we tend to be early adopters here, but there seem to have been a number of problems with the download/update. Maybe there's a reason for that

What problems? It's really not hard at all if you follow the instructions. I upgraded mine right out of the box, took all of 10 minutes (including the disc burn).

Firmware upgrades are a way of life now days, better get used to it.
post #102 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:

It's not an ISO. Just right click on PANA_DVD.FRM chose "send to" and click on your drive and burn. It's not like the Toshiba upgrades that have to be ISO. You should be able to see the PANA_DVD.FRM file on the disk after it is burned.
post #103 of 401 Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post

What problems? It's really not hard at all if you follow the instructions. I upgraded mine right out of the box, took all of 10 minutes (including the disc burn).

Firmware upgrades are a way of life now days, better get used to it.

The point I was getting at isn't about implementation problems.

Are you (or is anyone else) sure that this is an appropriate firmware update for players purchased in the US?

On the Panasonic US web site, the only Blu-Ray firmware update is for the BD10 dated 4/18/07. On the Panasonic Global site, in addition to the BD30 update, there are also North America versions of firmware updates for the BD10 and BD10A both dated 10/10/07.

I have no idea why Panasonic would have updates on their Global site designated for North America if they are not intended for use here. It just seems odd to me. I guess maybe I'll call Panasonic on Monday and see if they recommend the update.
post #104 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not an ISO. Just right click on PANA_DVD.FRM chose "send to" and click on your drive and burn. It's not like the Toshiba upgrades that have to be ISO. You should be able to see the PANA_DVD.FRM file on the disk after it is burned.

It's ancient history now, look a few posts up.

The Hun
post #105 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 AM

Upgraded FW today - took 10 minutes. Took me longer to locate a blank CD-R that it did to copy, burn, update. Simple stuff.

Thanks
post #106 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ottodog,

I tried to burn the FW again. Followed the steps you list above which is the same as I had done earlier. At no time during the download or on the burned disc does it read PANA_DVD.FRM it reads UPDATE_BD30 NT_V12.

I tried the disc I burnt this morning and I get the same results as before. The BD30 shows unsupport for the FW disc and goes to stop mode. As I said berfore I am no computer whiz but I am also not the only one that has had problems installing this FW upgrade.

I think Rae1 might be on to something as this FW update is not on the NA Panasonic website. I will try to contact Panasonic tomorrow to see if they can help me with the FW download issue I am having. Also I will ask why the BD30 FW is not on their NA site only the global site.

I went back to the Panasonic site and the download instructions. In step 2 it says to decompress the file so it reads PANA_DVD.FRM. This is could be my problem as I am not sure on how to decompress the file. Could anyone help out a computer challenged brother here.

Bill

post #107 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Bill,

Double click the file "UPDATE_BD30NT_V12", if you get the windows security box click "run". This will bring up the "self extractor" box. Verify the path where the file will be extracted in the (D) box. Click the (E) button to extract. The result will be the "PANA_DVD.FRM" file wil be extracted. Burn this to a cd-r and throw it in the player.

Hope that helps.
post #108 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE 1 View Post

The point I was getting at isn't about implementation problems.

Are you (or is anyone else) sure that this is an appropriate firmware update for players purchased in the US?

On the Panasonic US web site, the only Blu-Ray firmware update is for the BD10 dated 4/18/07. On the Panasonic Global site, in addition to the BD30 update, there are also North America versions of firmware updates for the BD10 and BD10A both dated 10/10/07.

I have no idea why Panasonic would have updates on their Global site designated for North America if they are not intended for use here. It just seems odd to me. I guess maybe I'll call Panasonic on Monday and see if they recommend the update.

You pretty much answered your own question. Since the BD10 is about 5 upates behind on the NA site, I'd say they are getting away from updating every single country site, and putting everything on the global site.

You have several hundred people here that have done the upgrade wo issue, in fact it has cleared up most problems, so what more assurance do you need. Ultimately the descision to upgrade the firmware or not is yours, but please don't start a thread about BD30 issues if you're not going to do so.

If you call Panny I'm sure they will send you a update disc in the mail.
post #109 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill,

Double click the file "UPDATE_BD30NT_V12", if you get the windows security box click "run". This will bring up the "self extractor" box. Verify the path where the file will be extracted in the (D) box. Click the (E) button to extract. The result will be the "PANA_DVD.FRM" file wil be extracted. Burn this to a cd-r and throw it in the player.

Hope that helps.

ottodog,

Thanks for the help. Did the download as per your instructions and it still will not create the FW as PANA_DVD.FRM. It will only show as UPDATE_BD30NT_V12. I will contact Panasonic tomorrow to see if they will send me a disc. I will also ask them if all future FW upgrades will be this way. If that will be the case I might reconsider my purchase.

FW upgrades for my A2 and the 1400 I had for a short while were very simple even I could do them. I see no reason it has to be this complicated to do a FW uprade for the BD30.

Bill

post #110 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:

ottodog,

Thanks for the help. Did the download as per your instructions and it still will not create the FW as PANA_DVD.FRM. It will only show as UPDATE_BD30NT_V12. I will contact Panasonic tomorrow to see if they will send me a disc. I will also ask them if all future FW upgrades will be this way. If that will be the case I might reconsider my purchase.

FW upgrades for my A2 and the 1400 I had for a short while were very simple even I could do them. I see no reason it has to be this complicated to do a FW uprade for the BD30.

Bill

So nothing happens when you double click on "UPDATE_BD30NT_V12"? What about if you right click on it and select open.

I guess I assume you're using windows, maybe that's not the case.
post #111 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So nothing happens when you double click on "UPDATE_BD30NT_V12"? What about if you right click on it and select open.

I guess I assume you're using windows, maybe that's not the case.

ottodog,

Yes I am using windows. When I double click on it goes to the open file security warning box, I click run, then to the winRAR box, in the window it says Extracting PANA_DVD.FRM, click on install. The file goes to my documents but still shows as UPDATE_BD30NT_V12. Should it read this way?

If you put your update CD in your burner how is the file listed? When I burn the FW it shows as UPDATE_BD30NT_V12 should it read as PANA_DVD.FRM in order to run in the BD30 properly? I appreciate your help!

Bill

post #112 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:

ottodog,

Yes I am using windows. When I double click on it goes to the open file security warning box, I click run, then to the winRAR box, in the window it says Extracting PANA_DVD.FRM, click on install. The file goes to my documents but still shows as UPDATE_BD30NT_V12. Should it read this way?

If you put your update CD in your burner how is the file listed? When I burn the FW it shows as UPDATE_BD30NT_V12 should it read as PANA_DVD.FRM in order to run in the BD30 properly? I appreciate your help!

Bill

Click on it. A box should come up which says "install" at the bottom. Click on it. You will end up with another file called PANA_DVD.FRM
post #113 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTHX1138 View Post

When you click on it and it opens in WinRAR, you should see a file called PANA_DVD.FRM. Drag it onto your desktop and burn.

Jimbo,

I tried that and I am unable to move the file to my desktop from the WinRAR window, I get a black circle with a slash thru it.

Thanks, Bill

post #114 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Jimbo,

I tried that and I am unable to move the file to my desktop from the WinRAR window, I get a black circle with a slash thru it.

Thanks, Bill

Sorry, I was thinking of firmware for another player. Read my edited post.
post #115 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTHX1138 View Post

Sorry, I was thinking of firmware for another player. Read my edited post.

Jimbo,

Not a problem, I tried it anyway. The other player was probably easier to download as well.

Bill

post #116 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 PM

I get a different extractor, but I tried it with winrar. It creates a folder called "UPDATE_BD30NT_V12" and "PANA_DVD.FRM" is inside this folder. You might try searching you computer for "PANA_DVD.FRM" and see if it's getting extracted somewhere else? Start -> Search -> All Files & Folders
post #117 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Jimbo,

Not a problem, I tried it anyway. The other player was probably easier to download as well.

Bill

If you want, i'll upload the extracted PANA_DVD.FRM file for you to download. Your call.
post #118 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 PM

Probably be easier to host the .FRM file on the web, that way it can be downloaded directly without having to mess with the extractor.
post #119 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Probably be easier to host the .FRM file on the web, that way it can be downloaded directly without having to mess with the extractor.

I agree. There's only 2MB difference in file size between the compressed UPDATE_BD30NT_V12 file and the resulting decompressed PANA_DVD.FRM file anyway.
post #120 of 401 Old 12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jimbo,

Bill

Bill - we will have to hold a virtual party when you finally have success in doing the FW update. I have faith that you will succeed.
Mark
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page