The perfect High Definition Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The frequency that these players need to have firmware updates is ridiculous! Most of them require an ISO image to accomplish the update. Sure - many of us can handle that - but how about our parents?

We need the perfect player. I will list my thoughts and you can comment. If enough people like your suggestion, I will edit my post and add it so the description will remain at the top. Here goes:
  1. Blu-ray & HD-DVD & upscaled DVD playback at 1920 x 1080p 24/60 FPS
  2. An Ethernet port for easy and automatic firmware updates (maybe wireless card port for those with wireless networks).
  3. The ability to decode audio or not - to send raw bit streams to new receivers.
  4. The ability to control the player with an IR remote (sorry PS3 - I still love you).
  5. BD Live Profile

Adding "affordable" - lets just say sub $500 (although - I'd pay twice that to get everything I need).

Adding "external memory card socked" to increase storage to 1GB or more.
What did I miss?

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 153
There still hasn't been the perfect SD DVD player, so what makes you think there will ever be a perfect HDM player?

alrry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

There still hasn't been the perfect SD DVD player, so what makes you think there will ever be a perfect HDM player?

alrry

I'd say all of my SD players I've owned in the last 8-9 years have worked flawlessly from day one...no updates, nothing...plug and play....and my current three newest players are working just as flawlessly...never a hiccup...can't for sure be said just yet with ALL the HDM players.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuski View Post

The frequency that these players need to have firmware updates is ridiculous! Most of them require an ISO image to accomplish the update. Sure - many of us can handle that - but how about our parents?

We need the perfect player. I will list my thoughts and you can comment. If enough people like your suggestion, I will edit my post and add it so the description will remain at the top. Here goes:
  2. An Ethernet port for easy and automatic firmware updates (maybe wireless card port for those with wireless networks).
  3. The ability to decode audio or not - to send raw bit streams to new receivers.
  4. The ability to control the player with an IR remote (sorry PS3 - I still love you).
  5. BD Live Profile
What did I miss?

Ed

Sounds about right. I'd also add a USB port for storage.

post #5 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The ability to predict the future and have every possible new feature available now without any firmware updates.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuski View Post

5. BD Live Profile
What did I miss?

Ed

BD-UP5000

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-UP5.../dp/B000VDG0UK

Just became available for pre-order
post #7 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 AM

You missed "affordable", ie available to the masses
post #8 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

The ability to predict the future and have every possible new feature available now without any firmware updates.

lol... that reminds me of reading through an internal set of "release notes" for some software we were getting ready to send out... it said:

"all bugs, known and unknown, have been fixed in this release"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA View Post

BD-UP5000

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-UP5.../dp/B000VDG0UK

Just became available for pre-order

Does the BD-UP5000 output undecoded bitstreams so that my Integra 8.8 can do the decode or does it have to decode on the player?
post #10 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

You are right - I did forget that one. If only it were possible - but then there would be no eBay .
post #11 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you are looking for the perfect player I don't think you will find it. Things change and I am happy that firmware updates do become available. If you own a computer ask yourself how many patches and updates, and service packs have you had. That just seems to be a way of life. Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and others have offered firmware updates to fix and also improve their products. I don't mind spending a few minutes doing an update to make my units better. I do agree that the list in post one is a very good start. I would also like to see all players have wireless ability like the PS3 to do updates.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'd sure like wireless updates for the firmware releases.

Since additional content is likely to come through the same input, is there an issue with capacity if done wirelessly?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 06:19 AM

Some devices will act as a Bridge for internet connections. For example, I will connect the bd-up5000 to the existing Squeezbox in the rack for internet updates. That Squeezbox has wireless already built-in.
Another alternative to wiring for a connection is to get a wireless USB adapter which can be fairly inexpensive(especially if only used for updates).
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
my perfect High def player will include a tray that can use 12" HDVS and Muse LaserDisc, with muse decoder. Throw in XDCAM support, along with a multipurpose tape slot that can accommodate W-VHS, D9 Digital S, D3, D5, D5HD, HDCAM, and HDCAM-SR tapes.

but I'll settle with your suggestions.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Perfect player? that's hard to say man. Anyways I don't think a perfect player should do all the formats . I'd rather have a player that can handle less formats but do a very good job at those that it supports.

Video : Excellent DVD upconversion and excellent Blu-ray (or HD DVD) playback with support for 24p and 1080p (the obvious!)

Audio : Excellent job with CD and SACD playback (i'm not a DVD-A fan but sure it's great it a player can do DVD-A as well). Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD and DTS-HD/DTS-MA decoding/streaming

Extras : Ethernet, USB 2.0 for MP3, WMA, JPEG, HD JPEG, Divx playback
BD Profile 1.1 and Profile 2.0 support

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
post #16 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I'd sure like wireless updates for the firmware releases.

Since additional content is likely to come through the same input, is there an issue with capacity if done wirelessly?

shouldn't be... as long as you have a decent wireless network, your network speed should easily outpace your download speed...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #17 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
To me, the perfect standalone Blu-ray player needs support for Profile 2.0, 1080p/24 video output, decoding for all audio CODECs with up to 7.1 PCM output, and the reliability and speediness of the PS3. I have no need for it to be a universal player; I just want its BD playback to deliver what I want. This seems simple enough, but it probably won't happen for quite some time.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thx Wakashizuma, let's not forget the other HD audio formats.

PS3 is a keeper until they add SACD to one of the multiformat players,
especially since PS3 still can't sent HBR for decoding in my RX-V3800.

The brownnosers populating the marketing depts have no clue that so
many of us willing to shell out $700 or so (Sammy 5000) for a dual format
player also have large HD audio collections.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page