Uncompressed PCM??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Could someone please briefly explain this to me. I recently purchased a Sony S500 BDP. I read in the Sony sticky to hook the BDP up to the receiver using the analog outs so I'm able to achieve uncompressed PCM.

My receiver is an older Merantz SR6400. No HDMI and no Dolby True-HD DTS HD formats.

What would you recommend is the best way to hook up the audio? Could it be that after ten plus years of digital audio I'm to now to go back to analog? This doesn't make any since to me????

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the issue here? I guess I don't understand your issue here.

Does the player have 5.1 analog multi-ch output? If so definelty use this if your AVR has 5.1 analog multi-ch inputs.

This is the same way many many people have enjoyed SACD and / or DVD-A for years now. It is generally of the highest quality. These connections are generally best left to the more experienced audiophile type.

For a simpler legacy connection use the Optical for sure, just no lossless audio beyond 2 channel is all.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

Could someone please briefly explain this to me. I recently purchased a Sony S500 BDP. I read in the Sony sticky to hook the BDP up to the receiver using the analog outs so I’m able to achieve uncompressed PCM.

My receiver is an older Merantz SR6400. No HDMI and no Dolby True-HD DTS HD formats.

What would you recommend is the best way to hook up the audio? Could it be that after ten plus years of digital audio I’m to now to go back to analog? This doesn’t make any since to me????

Thanks.

You are not going backwards by interconnecting your devices with 6 channel analog (I am assuming that your equipment is 6-channel analog capable since I am not familiar with either piece.)

Remember all audio starts as analog (voice) and ends up as analog (speaker to your ears). How it gets between these two varies considerably.

Uncompress PCM should be the best possible audio available since all the other digital formats start with this and compress it (older DD & DTS and some of the newer formats) or just zipped it up into a smaller file for space savings (True HD, DTS-HD MA).

The only reason that I can see that using analog connections to your receiver may be a problem is getting the levels set correctly, espically the LFE channel. This can be tricky.

I am using an analog setup with my Samsung P1400 and Denon 3300 AVR. The Denon is not capable of decoding the new HD formats, but the P1400 is with the exception of the DTS-HD MA. I use the uncompressed PCM track whenever it is available, then go down from there if it is not.

The only problem that I have had is setting the audio levels because 1) the Denon 3300 Manual is very poor in explaining how to trim the levels on an individual input basis, and 2) the subwoofer setting has been difficult. But, now I am very happy with the results - - it rocks the house!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ok I think I'm understanding!

The Marantz sr6400 has: Rear Input Connectors RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 7 Digital Coaxial x 3 Digital Optical x 3 Composite (Video) x 4 S-Video x 4 Component x 2

This would mean my AVR doesn't have 5.1 analog multi-ch inputs. If it did it would it be listed as 5.1 analog multi-ch input?

Crap...

Oh well, I'll be upgrading my receiver sooner than later anyway.

But sill, it would have been nice.

I'm assuming 5.1 analog is a much better than digital coaxial?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes when a better quaity audio is selected on the content. All lossless audio beyond 2 channel is down converted for legacy digital audio support.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

Ok I think I'm understanding!

The Marantz sr6400 has: Rear Input Connectors RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 7 Digital Coaxial x 3 Digital Optical x 3 Composite (Video) x 4 S-Video x 4 Component x 2

This would mean my AVR doesn't have 5.1 analog multi-ch inputs. If it did it would it be listed as 5.1 analog multi-ch input?

Crap...

Oh well, I'll be upgrading my receiver sooner than later anyway.

But sill, it would have been nice.

I'm assuming 5.1 analog is a much better than digital coaxial?

Yep, you are missing the key connection, 6 channel analog. And yes, 5.1 analog should be much better than standard DD or DTS if everything is setup and working properly.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM

I have a similar setup except I'm usimg a Marantz SR7002 with HDMI? Am I understanding that going over HDMI will send PCM multichannel to my receiver to process the TrueHD? I'm new to HDMI as you can see. Am I best off using HDMI or the multichannel?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanb View Post

I have a similar setup except I'm usimg a Marantz SR7002 with HDMI? Am I understanding that going over HDMI will send PCM multichannel to my receiver to process the TrueHD? I'm new to HDMI as you can see. Am I best off using HDMI or the multichannel?

Your best option is to send bitstream from your dvd to your Marantz and let it decode the compressed tracks. Going the analog route with lossless PCM may be better than DD 5.1 and DTS (depending on which DACs in your DVD and the quality of your analog interface) but staying pure digital and internally decoding the lossless HD formats with the Marantz's DAC is most likely the best.

In my case I found that sending everything I can as bitstreams (raw data from the dvd) is better than letting my dvd convert to analog (including dd 5.1 and dts over 6 channel PCM).
Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke View Post

Going the analog route with lossless PCM may be better than DD 5.1 and DTS (depending on which DACs in your DVD and the quality of your analog interface) but staying pure digital and internally decoding the lossless HD formats with the Marantz's DAC is most likely the best.

I'm using a Sony BDPS500 Bluray player. I've played around with both options last night and found that using bitstream over HDMI was the best for my setup. I'm a true believer in uncompressed (lossless) HD formats now. The sound is unbelievable. I really appreciate your response.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

just remember uncompressed audio can only be transmitted via HDMI or analog.

it is too much for optical or digital coax.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
"uncompressed audio can only be transmitted via HDMI or analog"
Uncompressed multichannel audio.

Regards,

- Hunter
Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

True enough.. We have been doing 2 channel lossless PCM for decades now via Optical and digital coax audio connections.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Just a little confusion here...There's PCM that can be selected on the player. What is PCM on the actual discs and what sound format are you getting with it?

Thanks,

M
Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

"uncompressed audio can only be transmitted via HDMI or analog"
Uncompressed multichannel audio.

thanks. i was referring to 5.1 and 7.1!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post

Just a little confusion here...There's PCM that can be selected on the player. What is PCM on the actual discs and what sound format are you getting with it?

Thanks,

M

There are only certain players that are able to output lossless bitstream (True HD, DTS HD MA) such as the BDP-1400, XA2, BDP-95FD. If you have one of these players, output bitstream. Otherwise let the player decode and output linear PCM to your receiver