What Blu-ray player do I buy... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you please help me out? I am interested in buying a blu-ray player but I would like to buy one that is very good at up converting standard dvd's. How does the PS3, new Panny, Sony or Samsung blu-ray players do in this respect? If I go the HD-DVD route I am considering the A35 or XA2. Either player will be connecting to a Samsung 4671 1080p LCD. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ps3 is the most reliable faster player on the market, its constantly being upgraded by firmware. Upscales dvds better than most dvd players too.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOY1077 View Post

Can you please help me out? I am interested in buying a blu-ray player but I would like to buy one that is very good at up converting standard dvd's. How does the PS3, new Panny, Sony or Samsung blu-ray players do in this respect? If I go the HD-DVD route I am considering the A35 or XA2. Either player will be connecting to a Samsung 4671 1080p LCD. Thanks

Panny BDP-S30 but it does not support the higher audio res formats (it does bitstream that is the receiver must decode them). Samsung is unreliable (but it is indeed attractive at the current price), Sony no (it does not support DTS-HD MA). The PS3 is good but it is noisy and hot (some say it is quiet so mileage may vary, mine is noisy, my son uses it for game).
The XA-2 is the best in upscale.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There are plenty of threads on this subject. Try using the search.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 PM

if you ask me, DVD upscaling on the PS3 looks like garbage. looks very grainy and the colors look slightly off. of course im comparing this to an Oppo HD-981 dvd player that makes dvds look as close to hd as possible.

HD-DVD collection at 40 will grow no more.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_1ab View Post

if you ask me, DVD upscaling on the PS3 looks like garbage. looks very grainy and the colors look slightly off. of course im comparing this to an Oppo HD-981 dvd player that makes dvds look as close to hd as possible.

I have both of these units hooked up to a 92" FP 1080p system and the PS3 looks better than my Oppo HD-981, slightly better. Just like the Oppo Player you need to make adjustments on the PS3 to make it look stellar on both Blu-Ray and DVD playback......
post #7 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Get whatever has profile 1.1

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #8 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Get whatever has profile 1.1

That narrows it down.....

Panasonic BD30
Sony PS3 as of today from what I am hearing...
post #9 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Its hard to suggest anything other than a PS3. It does so much more than just play BD discs and even if you dont think you'll use the extra features, you will....trust me! I said I would never play games or download games from the PS store. Sure enough, I have and will continue to do so. The wireless firmware updates are sooooooo cool.

The PQ and AQ are also excellent and compare favorably with ANY stand alone player.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM

My vote goes to the ps3.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM

if you want to decode your audio through a receiver which will recognize the new DTSMA and DolbyTrueHD then I would go with the Panasonic BD30 (keep in mind that this unit cannot decode any of the new HD sound formats internally), otherwise I would go with the PS3.

It will decode DolbyTrueHD into PCM internally right now and in theory, with the hardware in the console, will be able to decode DTSMA into PCM eventually (might be a while since there hasn't been an update in a while about this issue). I have both and the PQ from the BD30 is slightly better than my PS3 but not by much.

Forgot to mention, the last thing you should consider is whether or not you want good upscaling capabilities from your player and whether it is important to you. If you do want it I would definately go PS3 since it is awesome at both BD and DVD upscaling where as upscaling is very very week on my BD30.

Either way I think you'll be happy with your choice. Welcome to the HD world
post #12 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Agree with everything you said as I also own both of these. The PS3 is also more responsive with remote comands and not quite as slugish so to speak when moving through menus which is nice. Also, the BD30 seems to have a LFE issue with uncompressed PCM tracks from my testing and a few others in the owners thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLSpiRE View Post

if you want to decode your audio through a receiver which will recognize the new DTSMA and DolbyTrueHD then I would go with the Panasonic BD30 (keep in mind that this unit cannot decode any of the new HD sound formats internally), otherwise I would go with the PS3.

It will decode DolbyTrueHD into PCM internally right now and in theory, with the hardware in the console, will be able to decode DTSMA into PCM eventually (might be a while since there hasn't been an update in a while about this issue). I have both and the PQ from the BD30 is slightly better than my PS3 but not by much.

Forgot to mention, the last thing you should consider is whether or not you want good upscaling capabilities from your player and whether it is important to you. If you do want it I would definately go PS3 since it is awesome at both BD and DVD upscaling where as upscaling is very very week on my BD30.

Either way I think you'll be happy with your choice. Welcome to the HD world

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #13 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I've heard great things about the PS3, a lot of bang for the buck there so I'm sure you'd be happy. As far as the Panny I'd recommend the BD10A over the 30. You can get PCM and TrueHD out of it via analog inputs (which is how I have mine running into a older Denon 3801).

Check out the side by side

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #14 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I've heard great things about the PS3, a lot of bang for the buck there so I'm sure you'd be happy. As far as the Panny I'd recommend the BD10A over the 30. You can get PCM and TrueHD out of it via analog inputs (which is how I have mine running into a older Denon 3801).

Check out the side by side

The BD10A is the player I'm looking at. I don't like the fact that neither combo player (The LG and Samsung) do not have 7.1 analog out.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1as View Post

The BD10A is the player I'm looking at. I don't like the fact that neither combo player (The LG and Samsung) do not have 7.1 analog out.

I could have sworn the Samy 1200 had that but I could be mistaken. From what I've read the 1200 has a sharper more 3D like picture but I'd read too many complaints on it freezing up, not playing discs and such that I went with the 10A and could not be happier. I bought it late October and have not had a single issue with it. I did make some adjustments on the player and my TV to sharpen the somewhat soft image but there is plenty of 3D pop and after some adjustments the PQ is fantastic. I have not seen the Samy so I can not compare but I don't feel like I'm missing anything and I prefer it to my HDA2 for PQ and Audio hands down. Just my 2¢ based on my own experience.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #16 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_1ab View Post

How well does your Panny upconvert SD-DVDs compared to your Oppo?
post #17 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:

This may be a naive question, but my searches have turned up conflicting information. Even though the PS3 can decode DolbyTrueHD internally into PCM, it's pretty useless to an older receiver without an HDMI input, right? It would only be useful if it had analog out, which it doesn't. Is this line of thinking correct or way off base.

Thanks,
post #18 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM

If I were buying today I'd get the panasonic (if 1.1 profile mattered to me) or I'd re-buy the Pio 95 (because profile doesn't matter to me). The PS3 right now doesn't do DTS-MA and until it does it's no contest if you care about audio.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 10:09 PM

Liked: 11
I'm inbetween the PS3 and BD30 right now as well. I just ordered the 605 receiver to replace my older non-HDMI Onkyo receiver.

I want the HD audio quality formats, but I also want good DVD upconverting for the other 800 non-HD DVD's I have laying around. I hear some say the BD30 works great and other says the PS3 is better. But I'd also probably never play any games on the PS3.

I previously had the P1200 and it did a great job at upconverting SD DVD's. But it was definately buggy with Blu-Ray stuff. And the 1400 looks even worse, so that got kicked off my list.

So may choices... but regardless, I'm buying one of the 2 tomorrow. Which one.... who knows!
post #20 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I have both of these units hooked up to a 92" FP 1080p system and the PS3 looks better than my Oppo HD-981, slightly better. Just like the Oppo Player you need to make adjustments on the PS3 to make it look stellar on both Blu-Ray and DVD playback......

I have the OPPO 981 and think it does a fantastic job upscaling to 1080P on my Sony 1080P front projector using a 92" carada screen. Do you have your OPPO set to 1080P?
post #21 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage12 View Post

I have the OPPO 981 and think it does a fantastic job upscaling to 1080P on my Sony 1080P front projector using a 92" carada screen. Do you have your OPPO set to 1080P?

I have the Oppo set to 1080p.... I am just saying with the newer firmware updates the PS3 looks better to my eye.. and I don't wear glasses yet...
post #22 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegafiler View Post

I'm inbetween the PS3 and BD30 right now as well. I just ordered the 605 receiver to replace my older non-HDMI Onkyo receiver.

I want the HD audio quality formats, but I also want good DVD upconverting for the other 800 non-HD DVD's I have laying around. I hear some say the BD30 works great and other says the PS3 is better. But I'd also probably never play any games on the PS3.

I previously had the P1200 and it did a great job at upconverting SD DVD's. But it was definately buggy with Blu-Ray stuff. And the 1400 looks even worse, so that got kicked off my list.

So may choices... but regardless, I'm buying one of the 2 tomorrow. Which one.... who knows!

Hey omegafiler, I'm not a gamer either and I just got my Onkyo 605 2 weeks ago, to go with my BD30, and I have to tell you that using bitstream to the Onkyo 605 for audio processing is worth every penny the BD30 and 605 have cost me! I have played a few DTS-MA BD's (DH4 and Kingdom of Heaven) and the sound alone is very impressive and I find it rather hard to pull myself away from my HT. The video is excellent too, so I could not be happier with my set-up. Hopefully, whatever you decide on, you will get the same results......good luck tomorrow!
post #23 of 23 Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthegreat View Post

Hey omegafiler, I'm not a gamer either and I just got my Onkyo 605 2 weeks ago, to go with my BD30, and I have to tell you that using bitstream to the Onkyo 605 for audio processing is worth every penny the BD30 and 605 have cost me! I have played a few DTS-MA BD's (DH4 and Kingdom of Heaven) and the sound alone is very impressive and I find it rather hard to pull myself away from my HT. The video is excellent too, so I could not be happier with my set-up. Hopefully, whatever you decide on, you will get the same results......good luck tomorrow!

Thanks for the info! I keep going back and forth between the 2, but the BD30 might be worth it just to get bitstream and get those nifty lights on the receiver to turn on.

Have you tried letting it upconvert any standard DVD's yet?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page