Closed Thread

post #1 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all!
Here is the deal.
I purchased a samsung 1080p DLP TV, and i am now looking at either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player to go nicely with my new purchase.
I am having trouble because it seems that both have their pluses and minus'.
I was looking at the Sony BDP-S300 or the Samsung BDP1400, both on sale for 299.99, and both with 1080P24Hz output.
But i don't know about the HD-DVD players only one I saw was the Toshiba HDA-30 which was also 299.99 but seemed to only have the 1080p without the 24hz, should I be looking at anything in particular?
I have also heard that the Blu-ray player's picture is better than HD-DVD, this could be biased so i am looking for some insight, preferably before these sales run out
thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawkx81 View Post

Hey all!
Here is the deal.
I purchased a samsung 1080p DLP TV, and i am now looking at either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player to go nicely with my new purchase.
I am having trouble because it seems that both have their pluses and minus'.
I was looking at the Sony BDP-S300 or the Samsung BDP1400, both on sale for 299.99, and both with 1080P24Hz output.
But i don't know about the HD-DVD players only one I saw was the Toshiba HDA-30 which was also 299.99 but seemed to only have the 1080p without the 24hz, should I be looking at anything in particular?
I have also heard that the Blu-ray player's picture is better than HD-DVD, this could be biased so i am looking for some insight, preferably before these sales run out
thanks!!

As long as both films are encoded the same they will look the same.. PQ/AQ. Choose which one you feel will win the format war.. Or just buy both like many have.. Check to see which format supports the majority of the films you like.. I'm going BR cause of the Horror Genre which lacks on HD DVD..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #3 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response, that makes sense.
I saw alot of titles I enjoy on both sides of the fence. I heard paramount just got exclusive rights from HDDVD for something like a 100 million for 18 months, but anyways there are alot on bluray i like as well,
I am also not a big gamer, I play madden and the baseball series games on my PS2 and thats it, so should I just stick with a standalone player, and if so which BR player would e the better fit, the samsung to go with my samsung tv or the sony while it is on sale?
thank you
post #4 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Get a cheap HD player when the next sale hits and get a PS3 for your Blu...you should be fine...whatever you do, don't get analysis paralysis.

...or you could just wait until one format "wins' and that will just mean less cabling to hook up, less shelf space to free up for two machines, and you won't have to buy two machines per room that you want to watch HDM at any given time.
post #5 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Liked: 11
My suggestion would be to make a list of the 20 movies that you cannot live without, and then from the studios you can determine whether you should buy BR or HD-DVD.

But if it is a tie, then of course buy HD-DVD because I can't think of any corporation that has done more to harm consumer's fair use rights than Sony.
post #6 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 02:00 PM

If you want to enjoy all the movies you have to get both. I got a ps3 for blu and an HDA2 for HD DVD. The HDA2 is "only" 1080i but since my tv does a good job deinterlacing the PQ looks identical. So for you I say buy a cheap HD DVD player and a ps3. DO NOT buy the samsung. Read the thread about it if you want to know why.
post #7 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

i wound up buying a bd30 and an a30 because you really have to have both. Some movies are BD and some are HD-DVD (a few are both). The situation really stinks, but that's the way it is.
post #8 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCD View Post

My suggestion would be to make a list of the 20 movies that you cannot live without, and then from the studios you can determine whether you should buy BR or HD-DVD.

But if it is a tie, then of course buy HD-DVD because I can't think of any corporation that has done more to harm consumer's fair use rights than Sony.

And lets see... HD DVD is backed by none other than Microsoft. Lesser of two evils ...

John Moschella
post #9 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCD View Post

And how have they done that exactly?

I've had no problems with Sony taking away my rights and I've been buying their products for 30 years.
post #10 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

does your dlp even support 24..??

what model..
post #11 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Liked: 12
Lots of good comments here:

1 - don't get caught up in the analysis paralysis

2 - get both if you can because eventually it'll drive you nuts that you can't get access to a particular movie.

3 - on the blu-side, I wound up going for the PS3 because of all the hardware update concerns of the various machines. I love that it updates wirelessly and the recent 40gb version seems to have solved any fan noise concerns.

4 -on the HDDVD side, I went for the A2 because it was the right price. It has turned out to be very solid.

At the end of the day, I just want to watch the movies - the last 5% of audio or video resolution seemingly would cost another $1000. I think my choices which were based on a few days of reading the various forums is the practical solution for high quality enjoyment.
post #12 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What summerkl said.... Bang on! Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Analysis Paralysis" I like that

And dlp is 60 Hz refresh, right?
post #13 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Buy both and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe V.
post #14 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkl View Post

Lots of good comments here:

1 - don't get caught up in the analysis paralysis

2 - get both if you can because eventually it'll drive you nuts that you can't get access to a particular movie.

3 - on the blu-side, I wound up going for the PS3 because of all the hardware update concerns of the various machines. I love that it updates wirelessly and the recent 40gb version seems to have solved any fan noise concerns.

4 -on the HDDVD side, I went for the A2 because it was the right price. It has turned out to be very solid.

At the end of the day, I just want to watch the movies - the last 5% of audio or video resolution seemingly would cost another $1000. I think my choices which were based on a few days of reading the various forums is the practical solution for high quality enjoyment.

Just had to quote what is quite possibly the most informative, useful first post in recent history. Kudos summerkl!

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
post #15 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 06:39 PM

While current encodes are very similar, Blu Ray has the potential to look better in the long run. Blu Ray has been selling 70% of all discs, even after Paramount and Dreamworks went HD DVD exclusive, and rumors are circling that Warner may dump HD DVD early next year. I would say either buy Blu or wait for CES (which is only two weeks away). If you pick up a Samsung BDP 1400, you will still be within your return window when the CES announcements are made. They are $299 now and are getting good reviews.

Walt

Attorneys are like magicians; our shows are expensive and most people have no idea how we did it.
post #16 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawkx81 View Post

If you apply for a Sony Style CC they'll give you a $100 credit in a month or two, bringing the price of the 40GB PS3 down to $299. It's interest free for 18 months so you could pay the minimum for the first two months and when the $100 credit comes in pay it off in full. They charge tax. Free overnight shipping.

The deal will expire 31 December 2007.
post #17 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt O View Post

Blu Ray has been selling 70% of all discs, even after Paramount and Dreamworks went HD DVD exclusive, and rumors are circling that Warner may dump HD DVD early next year.

Don't state as fact highly contentious sales figures or appeal to rumour. (There's a separate thread for that.) He's a newbie, afterall.
post #18 of 70 Old 12-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Dont waste your money buying both, that doesnt make sense.
You will have wasted your money by doing so. There will only
be one format time its all said and done as it should be. Buy
the HD-DVD if you cant afford the Blu-Ray but pick a side and
go with it. I chose Blu-Ray because there is easily double the
titles I want to own.
post #19 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:19 AM

I did exactly what summerkl did. I picked up an A2 for $99 at Walmart and yesterday picked up a 40GB PS3 for $299 on Sony's card deal. The Sony Stylestore also threw in a second controller. So for $400, I have both formats covered. Not a bad deal IMO.

Mark
post #20 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 AM

"Don't state as fact highly contentious sales figures or appeal to rumour. (There's a separate thread for that.) He's a newbie, afterall."

He asked for an opinion. I shared my opinion based on everything I currently know, and stated that a rumour was a rumour. There is nothing contentious about published sales figures.

Walt

Attorneys are like magicians; our shows are expensive and most people have no idea how we did it.
post #21 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Get both and don't look back.
post #22 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme View Post

Dont waste your money buying both, that doesnt make sense.being able to watch ALL hdm doesn't make sense?
You will have wasted your money by doing so. There will only
be one format time its all said and done as it should be.maybe. maybe not. there's probably just as good a chance there will be "no" format. and the money won't be 'wasted' it's not like the "losing" players are going to suddenly destroy themselves. also, it's not like you are going to have the same player for the rest of your life. Buy
the HD-DVD if you cant afford the Blu-Ray but pick a side and
go with it."picking a side" of a ce component hardly seems to make sense to me. I chose Blu-Ray because there is easily double the
titles I want to own.

the last sentence makes sense. if you are going to buy ony one, buy the one that has the most movies available that you want. although keep in mind that as new releases come out, that ratio of "desired movies" may well change...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #23 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

These threads should be banned, they really should.

There is enough actual FACT and information out there that someone could gather without having to post this question which inevitably turns into a format war.

You posted this in a Blu-ray forum sawkx81. What answer did you think you were going to get here?? Blu-ray advocates are never going to suggest HD DVD to you here.

Just like if you posted this same question in the HD DVD section you would be extremely lucky if anyone there suggested you go with Blu-ray.

Here is what you do sawkx81. Look at the current available movies. Look at the studios that support each format. Look at the players. Does a $299 player that is profile obsolete bother you? Or do you need to spend the extra $100 to be current? Are you ok with Universal, Paramount, and Warner as your movies (DO NOT LISTEN to anyone who floats a Warner rumor either way. They are wrong and don't know what they are talking about, because no one know what and when Warner will change it's mind)?

Or hey, can you afford both? Can you afford a $199 A-3 and a $399 Playstation 3? Do you have an Xbox 360 already? Do you have enough money to buy one of the dual format LG or Samsung players? Dual format gives you the ability to step back and let everyone else fight it out while you simply enjoy the movies.

Go look it up, think for yourself on this one, and don't ask for opinions in a format specific forum.
post #24 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Both!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #25 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Find a good deal and get one of each. Always ask for "open box" items. That is how I got my BD-P1200 and A2. Then enjoy all the movies sales going around right now on both sides. That way you don't have to worry about who is releasing what movie.
post #26 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM

What Walmarts are still selling HD players for $99? Everytime I go there they want $298.

Walt

post #27 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Go for both. Think about it, in the past most of us have paid more for things like VHS HiFi machines, regular DVD players, and other stuff we've accumulated. You can get an great HD-DVD player for under $300 and a Panasonic BD player for just over $400, so for just over $700 you get both quality machines, (at least) 10 free discs (5 of each), and you are covered no matter what happens in the future.

And the best advice is to ignore all "rumors". These things always surface at an important sales juncture, and mostly are created to hurt the sales of the oppositions stuff. Both ways. They all do it. There are no "saints" - except of course the consumers who buy the stuff!

[Early Adopter]
post #28 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt O View Post

What Walmarts are still selling HD players for $99? Everytime I go there they want $298.

Walt

None
post #29 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Wow! A lot of posts here w/o anyone recommending the Samsung BD-UP5000. I'm happy with the PS3 & a Toshiba A35 myself but since the OP's apparently only interested in playing HD discs and not all the other things the PS3 brings to the party, the BD-UP5000 is the way to go. Heck, he even has a Sammy TV.

PURPLE and lovin' it!!
Hi-Res Audio is worth a kidney ... or a kid
post #30 of 70 Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTruMag View Post

Wow! A lot of posts here w/o anyone recommending the Samsung BD-UP5000. I'm happy with the PS3 & a Toshiba A35 myself but since the OP's apparently only interested in playing HD discs and not all the other things the PS3 brings to the party, the BD-UP5000 is the way to go. Heck, he even has a Sammy TV.

well, there aren't a lot of 5000's out in the wild yet, so it's probable that not a lot of people have hands on experience with them yet.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page