OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 16955 Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Isn't it funny sometimes to just sit back and think of how far technology has come? I remember in the 90's the latest and greatest out there was a 5.1 HI-FI VCR and a 50" Flat Screen Projection TV and everyone would marvel at it. There was nothing else but that to choose from. Now we have HD, 1080p, 120hz, blu-ray, TrueHD and Master Audio, LCD, Plasma, DLP, OLED, bla bla bla. We have soo many things to consider when buying a TV or player that it takes months on end to research what you want and pick the right things. And even after a decade since then, all the work and technology and everything that went on, nobody can make a product that just works!!! like they use to!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 16955 Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

Isn't it funny sometimes to just sit back and think of how far technology has come? I remember in the 90's the latest and greatest out there was a 5.1 HI-FI VCR and a 50" Flat Screen Projection TV and everyone would marvel at it. There was nothing else but that to choose from. Now we have HD, 1080p, 120hz, blu-ray, TrueHD and Master Audio, LCD, Plasma, DLP, OLED, bla bla bla. We have soo many things to consider when buying a TV or player that it takes months on end to research what you want and pick the right things. And even after a decade since then, all the work and technology and everything that went on, nobody can make a product that just works!!! like they use to!!!

I wasn't aware there was a 5.1 VCR.
post #273 of 16955 Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM

OK I'm convinced it's the Panny BD30 now where do I find it?
post #274 of 16955 Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
I've been looking for a another BR player, but I agree, these post-christmas prices are pretty sad. I've got the BD30 in the main room and the Sammy 1200 in another. But the 1200 isn't happy with the 50" Vizio (randomly won't accept a signal), so I'm thinkin' I'll just swap it out with a different brand player. And I want to bring the 1200 back to the main room for SD upconversion.

Just figured I could find some good deals on a cheap blu-ray player... but they're still going for $400 retail (a bit cheaper elsewhere). But still crazy. The latest profiles and HD audio also aren't important for this room, so the S300 sounds like a good option. Just not at those prices!

I suppose the blu-ray camp doesn't feel they need to compete on prices with most consumers already accepting blu-ray as the winning side and grabbing any blu-ray player than can get their hands on. Or perhaps they are waiting for the new players from CES '08 to ship before lowering the price; but by then, why bother with the older ones?

Oh well...
post #275 of 16955 Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I wanted to know... are there any bluray players that will decode the DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD and output them uncompressed over analog?

The only ones that I have seen so far require an HDMI connection, which ain't gonna happen!
post #276 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 AM

For those that have decided on the Panny BD30 (am still undecided myself), my local Costco (Southlake, TX) had a stack of them in stock yesterday for $439.

Tom B "If you don't move, then where you are
is where you will always be...."
post #277 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I want a bd player but still with all the SD disk I have upconverting is number 1 to me. PS3 is supposed to be ok on upconverting but I don't like the remote or the idea that I can't stop a movie and continue later.
Any inexpensive bd's have great upconvert?
post #278 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I wanted to know... are there any bluray players that will decode the DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD and output them uncompressed over analog?

The only ones that I have seen so far require an HDMI connection, which ain't gonna happen!

Currently only for TrueHD and not DTS-HD MA.
post #279 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

Well I want a bd player but still with all the SD disk I have upconverting is number 1 to me. PS3 is supposed to be ok on upconverting but I don't like the remote or the idea that I can't stop a movie and continue later.
Any inexpensive bd's have great upconvert?

Yep, I'm not impressed with the SD upconversion on the BD30. It's "OK". Especially after coming from the 1200. But it does blu-ray discs very well (way better than the 1200). Almost got the PS3... but just couldn't get over the remote/audio issue. The BD30 w/ the 605 is an excellect combo.
post #280 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post

For those that have decided on the Panny BD30 (am still undecided myself), my local Costco (Southlake, TX) had a stack of them in stock yesterday for $439.

cheeper at buydotcom and if you do a little searching you can find a 5% ($15 max) coupon to get it just below 4 bills. no tax and free shipping too. later.
post #281 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm also considering the jump from a HD-A2 to BD.

Platform 1.0? Platform 1.1? Platform 2.0??

Looks like Platform 1.0 is a dead-end. Platform 1.1 may or may not be cool enough, and Platform 2.0 is unavailable?? Do we need BD-J?

I want to watch movies -- if I wanted a video game I'd buy a PS3.

How can one tell which player to buy? I'm looking for utility, not sizzle (the sizzle is in the movies).
post #282 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Just to let you know guys that, SAMMY 1400 is good after FW1.2 update, most of people using had no issues as such after FW updates. so when you are reading about Sammy 1400 make sure you pay attention if the person has upgraded the FW correctly and then decide on that.

I bought a brand new in box Sammy 1400 from a local guy for $250 then did a FW update via cable it took me ~90 mins, as player takes its own time through cable net. I had to do two upgrades so that's why it took me so long. But after that it just works fine, takes ~30-40 sec to load Blu discs. I played POTC-AWE and LFODH, these two were causing lot of issues to people and this worked just fine for my machine. So if you don't want to spend a 100 more on a Panny you might as well take a look on this one. Eb also has many of those in 300 range. Frys also had last week for $299.
post #283 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegafiler View Post

Yep, I'm not impressed with the SD upconversion on the BD30. It's "OK". Especially after coming from the 1200. But it does blu-ray discs very well (way better than the 1200). Almost got the PS3... but just couldn't get over the remote/audio issue. The BD30 w/ the 605 is an excellect combo.

There are solutions to the remote issue and unless you have a receiver which can decode DTS-MA, there really aren't any audio issues.

The BD30 definitely seems the best of the current standalones (and I considered buying it) but the PS3 is still faster and will be upgraded to BD Live (SOny has a very good track record with firmware updates for the PS3). It also has some additional Home Theater related functionality such as a decent built in MP3 player and the ability to stream audio/video from a PC. If you have an IPod, you can just plug it into one of the USB ports and copy the non protected songs to the PS3's internal hard drive with a couple of clicks of the controller. It also plays SACDs.
post #284 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt42 View Post

How can one tell which player to buy? I'm looking for utility, not sizzle (the sizzle is in the movies).

The answer then is pretty simple, just buy the Panasonic BD30.
post #285 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Hi Guys,

I need help as well with purchasing a BD Player. I am crossing over from HD DVD. I'm stuck between the BD30, PS3, or waiting it out for the BD50. I'm looking for as many bells and whistles as my current system can handle within a reasonable price ~ below $600.

I currently have a Panasonic 58in 1080p Plasma - TH58PZ700U
My receiver is the new Denon AVR-2808CI
I also have a Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player, that has pretty good SD upconversion.
All of the above have HDMI 1.3

Do i need to hold out for the BD50? or will the BD30 give me what i need? or since the PS3 is "future-proof" should I go with that?

Thanks
Hoss
post #286 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

Just to let you know guys that, SAMMY 1400 is good after FW1.2 update, most of people using had no issues as such after FW updates. so when you are reading about Sammy 1400 make sure you pay attention if the person has upgraded the FW correctly and then decide on that.

I bought a brand new in box Sammy 1400 from a local guy for $250 then did a FW update via cable it took me ~90 mins, as player takes its own time through cable net. I had to do two upgrades so that's why it took me so long. But after that it just works fine, takes ~30-40 sec to load Blu discs. I played POTC-AWE and LFODH, these two were causing lot of issues to people and this worked just fine for my machine. So if you don't want to spend a 100 more on a Panny you might as well take a look on this one. Eb also has many of those in 300 range. Frys also had last week for $299.

Does it upgrade the player to Profile 1.1? I believe this is a 1.0 player?
post #287 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux23 View Post

Does it upgrade the player to Profile 1.1? I believe this is a 1.0 player?

No. The 1400 is Profile 1.0 and is not upgradeable to 1.1
post #288 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNY77 View Post

Hi Guys,

I need help as well with purchasing a BD Player. I am crossing over from HD DVD. I'm stuck between the BD30, PS3, or waiting it out for the BD50. I'm looking for as many bells and whistles as my current system can handle within a reasonable price ~ below $600.

I currently have a Panasonic 58in 1080p Plasma - TH58PZ700U
My receiver is the new Denon AVR-2808CI
I also have a Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player, that has pretty good SD upconversion.
All of the above have HDMI 1.3

Do i need to hold out for the BD50? or will the BD30 give me what i need? or since the PS3 is "future-proof" should I go with that?

Thanks
Hoss

Get the Bd30.
post #289 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt42 View Post

I'm also considering the jump from a HD-A2 to BD.

Platform 1.0? Platform 1.1? Platform 2.0??

Looks like Platform 1.0 is a dead-end. Platform 1.1 may or may not be cool enough, and Platform 2.0 is unavailable?? Do we need BD-J?

What are your audio requirements?
post #290 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Your Denon doesn't decode advanced audio. Therefore you must purchase a player that does, so it's best to wait for the BD50.

The Denon 2808ci does decode the new codecs.

Tony B
post #291 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

The Denon 2808ci does decode the new codecs.

Your right. I was looking at a different model.
post #292 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

There are solutions to the remote issue and unless you have a receiver which can decode DTS-MA, there really aren't any audio issues.

The BD30 definitely seems the best of the current standalones (and I considered buying it) but the PS3 is still faster and will be upgraded to BD Live (SOny has a very good track record with firmware updates for the PS3). It also has some additional Home Theater related functionality such as a decent built in MP3 player and the ability to stream audio/video from a PC. If you have an IPod, you can just plug it into one of the USB ports and copy the non protected songs to the PS3's internal hard drive with a couple of clicks of the controller. It also plays SACDs.

Yeah, I saw some of the PS3 IR solutions. I believe it was around $50 for the one that could power on/off... could be cheaper now, but that was a bit much. I actually bought the Onkyo 605 w/ the BD30 specifically so it could decode all of the audio formats and to get HDMI. Works great!

Another reason I steered away from the PS3 was that I wouldn't play games with it and already have a 3TB Vista Media Center system setup; which pretty much makes the other PS3 features sorta irrelevant... at least for me.

But the player I need would either have to be cool enough to replace the BD30 in the main room, or cheap (and reliable) enough to replace the 1200 in the bedroom. So I think I'm just going to have to hold off for another BR player, at least until the prices drop and/or the new models arrive.
post #293 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My only reasons for holding back on a PS3 are...
1. Fan noise and heat.
Is the fan that audibile? I sit quite close to my AV rack.
Does the PS3 put out much heat, compared to a regular standalone?

2. No decoding for DTS-MA.
Is this likely to be addresssed with an update?

Currently, I have a Samsung BD-P1000. I'll be getting a NAD T175, which had HDMI 1.3, but no decoding of the new formats (I'd rather let the player do that anyway).

* The PS3 decodes Dolby TrueHD, correct?
* Is the PS3 Profile 1.1 yet?
* Can the PS3 be upgraded to Profile 2.0 / BD-Live, when it happens?

Seems like the PS3 is potentially the most future-proof of ALL BD players out there...

Thanks in advance.
post #294 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 05:14 PM

So, I just bought one this week and thought I'd add my $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

My only reasons for holding back on a PS3 are...
1. Fan noise and heat.
Is the fan that audibile? I sit quite close to my AV rack.
Does the PS3 put out much heat, compared to a regular standalone?

I have the 40GB version and the noise to me is non existant.

Quote:

2. No decoding for DTS-MA.
Is this likely to be addresssed with an update?

We are not sure, but the consensus is that additional hardware is not required so this is possible.

Quote:

* The PS3 decodes Dolby TrueHD, correct?
* Is the PS3 Profile 1.1 yet?
* Can the PS3 be upgraded to Profile 2.0 / BD-Live, when it happens?

Yes, DolbyTrueHD
Yes it is 1.1

We are not sure if it can go to Profile 2.0 but "rumors" are that Sony will update it to that spec. In my research, a lot of people were talking about Sony's announcement that they indeed will update, but I did not find anything concrete. (And I found a lot of people quoting a lot of people quoting other people saying it would *likely* happen.)

I decided I rarely watched special features and rolled the dice on this one.

Quote:

Seems like the PS3 is potentially the most future-proof of ALL BD players out there...

That is why I bought one. If nothing else, it will likely have resale value as a game console.

As I am about to post in the deals section, I was able to use the Circuit City 8% discount to AAA members on the purchase which was nice.

--Carl
post #295 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 PM

I ended up with a BD30K, which I received earlier this week. Didn't like the PQ at first, but adjustment has improved things greatly. I have a receiver that doesn't do the new codecs but was planning on upgrading later this year anyway, so I don't miss the new audio codecs for now.

I sold most of my HD-DVDs and replaced all the ones I sold with Blu-Ray versions. Very happy for now.
post #296 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

If you can wait the Panny BD50 (Profile 2.0/BD-Live), -Splints

I'll be waiting for the BD50 as I want a player to decode the new audio formats so I don't have to upgrade my receiver just yet. Man I'm glad this war is over and I hope it becomes official very soon.
post #297 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

The answer then is pretty simple, just buy the Panasonic BD30.

At $410, it's a little bit pricey.

How well does it upconvert SD DVDs?

Also, can someone comment on my other questions? Is there a compelling reason to wait for Platform 2.0?
post #298 of 16955 Old 01-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

I kind of don't understand why people think that in next few months any of the audio formats will be fixed. Fox has now DTS HDMA, tomorrow Paramount will have something different, so what will you do then? wait for another six months? If one wants to wait then I guess one can keep waiting for ever. I guess pulling the trigger when you get a player with your price is which should be the first thing to look for with decent tech features. And by waiting, all one is doing is just missing another day of high definition enjoyment.

Just like DVD's have Dolby Digital and DTS, Blu-ray and HD-DVD have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, and PCM of course. There will be no more surprises with audio. Unless either Dolby and DTS come out with super-duper lossless formats there should be no more additional audio formats in the forseeable future.

I do agree with your point, isingh, that to wait for the perfect player means you never buy anything. The new Panasonic BD50 will have the features that most AVS members are looking for in a Blu-ray player today (well actually in the spring when it comes out).
post #299 of 16955 Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 AM

I own an Arcam AVR350 which supports HDMI video, but not audio. Arcam, perhaps arguably, feels that the HDMI feed is inferior with respect to audio and, instead, supplies analog and digital (coax and toslink) inputs. In htis case is the BD30 still a wise choice. I have a Zenith DVB318 which works well for me in SD but, no Blu-Ray for those formatted movies.
post #300 of 16955 Old 01-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Saying for the moment money isn't an issue...

Where does the Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD fit into all this?

I know it can bitstream all the HD audio formats.

But how does the PQ compare to say the BD30.

SD DVD upconversion note worthy?

Thanks bunches!

Mia

Edit: Perhaps I should have posted in the "Help a Gal pick a Blu-Ray player" thread if I wanted to receive answers. :P

"Who needs men when you have high definition?" - Monica (friend)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page